Ghost shells

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

hasnainrakha57 #1 Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17402 battles

We all know ghost shells are so much annoying.I had two ghost shells in one game and after watching replaying it's a solid proof that they were ghost shells.

So I want know what is the reason behind ghost shells. I haven't seen something like that in any other online game. Who is to be blamed for ghost shells? Wg server? Your isp?....

PayMore #2 Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26526 battles
Its probably the technology WG uses, if it was good it would be used in esports. They compensate, i think, by having very high RNG tolerances. They is ment to be a quality game either, you shold listen to their community contributorer twitch streamers.

Dava_117 #3 Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22068 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Ghost shells are mainly due to bad connection between server and your PC. It can be both ISP or WG server problem. An overload of a line or of the server may cause your client not to be in sync with the server calculation. Then you may see a shell hitting a target while on server side it was missing it.

Mannanan #4 Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:10 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28351 battles
One reason from a technical view can be simply because shot direction is calculated server side. When client doesn't receive direction in time it tries to hide lag by starting to draw in the most probable direction into aim circle center and shot goes towards a tank. If server generates direction which computes a hit and client receives a hit all ends up smooth and fine even there was a lag. But in some cases server actually computes a direction which is a miss, client receives this information late and can't fix already rendered shot hence it continues to draw in a guessed direction going through a tank but without a hit because it is actually a miss. You can't get rid of this, alternative would be pressing a button and nothing happens because client doesn't know where to draw a shot and it would be worse situation because every lag would be visible.

The opposite effect is when you aim wrong, client does not know a direction due to a lag and renders the shot in the aim center, shot should clearly miss but server actually computes a direction which is a hit. Then you see to score a hit while your shot misses a tank.

Other engines compute direction client side hence client always knows which direction start to draw. Disadvantage is that it can be hacked and aimbot can be highly effective because it can compute precise aiming instead of you.

The other typical reason is that you hit invisible tank in front of a tank you are shooting at. Yet another reason is lower graphical settings and simplified environment models when you hit invisible edges (visible in full details). Bugs in models, other bugs...

Edited by Mannanan, 06 August 2019 - 05:40 PM.

Nitro_Tank #5 Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:10 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6487 battles
WG cheaping out on servers because they are greedy

Balc0ra #6 Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 71481 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Posthasnainrakha57, on 06 August 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

We all know ghost shells are so much annoying.I had two ghost shells in one game and after watching replaying it's a solid proof that they were ghost shells.

So I want know what is the reason behind ghost shells. I haven't seen something like that in any other online game. Who is to be blamed for ghost shells? Wg server? Your isp?....

Because not many online games run all their data calculations via the server. CS, BF etc run parts of that locally. Thus the data on it is local. Thus no delay visually. WOT has everything via the server, inc shells and movement input. Everything travels to the server and back to you again before any action is taken. Thus the shell on the server is already ahead vs the visual one you see. Any deviation in the data string can interrupt that to create a bigger delay. Like vs a moving target. Your shell is clipping the front of the eneny tank. On the server it went by the enemy tank right in front of it a few split seconds before.

It's the price we pay for not having mods that can manipulate data. Like the CSGO aimbot that gets zero dispersion and hits the head 100% of the time. While our aimbot can only "lead" a target. Not give it 0.000001 dispersion with each shot on the move as it's run server side, not client side.

Edited by Balc0ra, 06 August 2019 - 06:23 PM.

malachi6 #7 Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 50920 battles
"It's probably the technology WG uses, if it was good it would be used in esports. They compensate, I think, by having very high RNG tolerances. This is meant to be a quality game either, you should listen to their community contributors twitch streamers."

Potentially hundreds of Km's of connections between the OP and the server.  Multiple hops involving numerous network connections.OP's family streaming Netflix on a wireless connection.  Running a PC that has multiple open tabs and missing a software update or two.  Yet to you, the only possible issue is WG's infrastructure.

Saying listen to streamers is an appeal to authority when they have as much information as you or me.

Edited by malachi6, 06 August 2019 - 06:36 PM.

Bordhaw #8 Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:07 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14476 battles

View Posthasnainrakha57, on 06 August 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

Who is to be blamed for ghost shells? Wg server? Your isp?....

Terrain hit boxes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users