OK so Riddle me this.....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Gremlin_IV #1 Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 88520 battles

why when wg changes the mod folder does a simple drag and drop not work...

Hidden files I cant see??

Config states the folder name?? (if so which config)

It looks for a certain file??

Its just WG way of messing with your head?

I am stupid and drag and drop will work?

I have previous modpack for 1.5 and want to use it but it hasn't been updated yet, I know there are others but this one is my fave…

So you can answer the riddle??

horussjr #2 Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 32158 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

Code that the mode relies on or uses has changed, thus the mod needs an update.

If as part of the update none of the existing functionality of that mod has been changed, the mod will work fine. However if it did, code will break.

I hope i have managed to explain this in as little programmer language as possible :)

Gremlin_IV #3 Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 88520 battles

Kinda - 

I was hoping someone would just tell me the name of file where the code says "find me in the 1.6.1 folder" and be done. rather than the one that says "im in the 1.5.1.3 folder still"

Some thing a line somewhere tells the game where the mod files are a config - im just looking for that really

I get that on a major change somethings break but id guess only safeshot would be affected by 1.6 update and the icons for the new tanks which I can live with.

My fave modpack still isn't listed as ready ya see.....

goofy67 #4 Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:05 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8204 battles
  • [D-5-5] D-5-5

View PostGremlin_IV, on 08 August 2019 - 12:28 AM, said:

Kinda - 

I was hoping someone would just tell me the name of file where the code says "find me in the 1.6.1 folder" and be done. rather than the one that says "im in the 1.5.1.3 folder still"

Some thing a line somewhere tells the game where the mod files are a config - im just looking for that really

I get that on a major change somethings break but id guess only safeshot would be affected by 1.6 update and the icons for the new tanks which I can live with.

My fave modpack still isn't listed as ready ya see.....

paths.xml in root-folder (where the WorldOfTanks.exe is)

Gremlin_IV #5 Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:01 AM

Private

• Player
  • 88520 battles

alright alright now we are homing in.....

So I see that and now somewhere in the mod install/files/folder there is a corresponding file/line/xml saying "hello 1.6.0 im your mod pack please find me here and here"

or a particular file has to be in one of those paths - which file?? and what does it say??

goofy67 #6 Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8204 battles
  • [D-5-5] D-5-5

All game-files are stored in certain folders, such as audioww, scripts, gui, vehicles and so on. The majority is packed in PKG-files in /res/packages, which you can open with 7-Zip, WinRar or similar. (Sidenote: please do not modify any pkg-file, you will probably destroy it)

Now you can copy files or folders from /res or from the PKG-files into the current res_mods-folder. Which one is current says paths.xml. Keep the correct folder-structure. From now on the files in res_mods have priority, the original-files are ignored. Now you can start to modity the images, scripts, flash-files, XMLs ...

There is this one special folder /scripts/client/gui/mods. All python-scripts with prefix 'mod_' will be called by the client on startup. So you can put your own script here without copying and changing an original script.

Most mods consist of a variety of files in many different folders and sub-folders. For easier handling you can put all your files for a mod into a single '.wotmod'-file, which is nothing else than an uncompressed zip-file, and place it into current mods-folder.

So only thing a modification has to do to tell the client "Hello, I'm here!" is to place the files to correct location.

After a client-patch (and a new mods-folder) many original files have changed. If you now copy old files into the new mods-folder, old scripts may call old functions, which now have been changed, moved or even removed. This causes errors up to a crashing client.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users