Chinese TD's line...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Hammerhead20 #1 Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:22 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 28806 battles

I'm actually tempted to start my way through this line...

I have some Free XP to skip lower tiers (1-4) and start right away from tier 5.

What do you think? Is this a good or bad idea? 

PowJay #2 Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:43 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 39282 battles

Skip the tiers if you want, but my SU-76G FT is rapidly getting damage stats that rival my tier V TDs, and I've played every tier V TD and still have most of them. 

The 60G FT is actually one of my best tier V TDs for damage,  although the tier IV beats it. 

The tier VI matches my much-loved SU-100 for average damage and is only beaten by the Nashorn, which never seemed to want to win.

The tier VII is only beaten on damage by two other tier VII vehicles. 

The tier VIII sucks.

I don't have 6th sense/concealment complete on the IV and V and, using Free XP, I've only just achieved 6th sense in the VI and VII.

FatigueGalaxy #3 Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21063 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

First of all - most of them are "discount soviet TDs" which means they are either more balanced or simply worse. Consider getting soviets instead or if you already have them - don't bother with chinese line.

Don't skip tier 4, it's actually good.

Tier 5 packs a punch with 85 mm but it's fat and paper. I kinda liked it.

Tier 6 - small, stealthy, fairy mobile, decent 100 mm gun - one of the best in this branch.

Tier 7 - balanced SU-122-44. Derpy 122 mm but with great DPM which is appreciated on a tier 7 TD with no armour and pathetic amount of HP. I like it but mobility bother me - it's not slow but not fast either which is strange considering it has no armour and it's built on a medium tank chassis.

Tier 8 - many ppl hate it and rightfully so. It has very mediocre armour, no mobility, no hitpoints to take hits. Gun is awesome though. It's almost Jagdtiger's gun on a tier 8 tank. I loved its alpha/reload ratio - not as punishing as 750 alpha guns but it still packs a punch. Tank is way too slow, considering it's built on WZ-111.

Tier 9 - shittier Obj. 704 that trades all mobility for armour that mostly doesn't work. It's kinda workable if you are top tier and can block some chokepoints (it has 290 mm pen and awesome HEAT) but that's about it. The worst this about it is the fact that it moves barely faster than Tortoise or T95 while its armour is nowhere close as good as those two...

Tier 10 - I don't have it because tier 9 disappointed me. Also, barely anybody plays it so you will get actively hunted by achievement hunters.

Generally, their plan was to make those TDs start with no armour and make them heavier and more armoured with every tier. But they heavily overestimated how good their armour actually is so they reduced their mobility way too much. I think tier 8-10 would actually be decent if they had similar mobility to WZ-111 heavy tank series - even halt of it, so they wouldn't behave as whales... The premium - WZ-120G FT is a good example what those TD should be like.

Nishi_Kinuyo #4 Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:53 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 8810 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
You know that they're all fakes made up by Kongzhong, right?

Isharial #5 Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22883 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

others have noted somethings, but having played right through the line and own the TX, I can say its worth it if you like slow moving boxes...

the T5 is a nice tank, fat and kinda sluggish uphill but its certainly nice

the T6 is probably the "best" conventional TD. its fast, stealthy and has a nice gun.. its about as far away from the rest of the line as you could possibly get

the T7 is auto skip. don't bother with it, its a Chinese AT-7 with a 122mm. too slow, too weak armour, derpy gun. 

the T8 is bad, but the alpha can redeem it in the right situations, its is too slow given the tank its based on isn't. would be acceptable if the armour was decent, but it isn't.

the T9 is meh, hulldown it can work, the gun is the same as that of the TX, but you are slower than a Maus, so its not that useable....

the TX can do wonders, but its still a big slow box. nice gun really does redeem it, but there are better tanks out there....

I do like the T5, and the TX, both of which ive kept, I would even keep the T6, but I have the SU-100 which still holds sway when I want a few T6 games. would I recommend someone grinds them? no.. there are better lines for such tanks like the T95 line, or the tortoise if you want a slow armoured TD, both of which are better

Bordhaw #6 Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:48 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14492 battles

View PostHammerhead20, on 10 August 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

I'm actually tempted to start my way through this line...

I have some Free XP to skip lower tiers (1-4) and start right away from tier 5.

What do you think? Is this a good or bad idea? 

Ch1valry #7 Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 39894 battles
  • [TKNZ] TKNZ

I think most vehicles at tier 2-7 are fairly good, while tier 8 and 9 are horrible. Haven't played the tier 10, so I can't comment on that.

The best one tier for tier IMO is probably the tier 7 with 390 alpha and good ROF. My advice is go for the line, but stop at tier 7.

Desyatnik_Pansy #8 Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:56 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 17936 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostIsharial, on 10 August 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

the T7 is auto skip. don't bother with it, its a Chinese AT-7 with a 122mm. too slow, too weak armour, derpy gun. 

Bit of a weird comparison to me. It's a Chinese SU-122-44, or if you want to stick to tech tree vehicles it's more like a worse T25 AT/Jagdpanther but with a bit more punch.

wremise #9 Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51695 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
The Tier VI is the masterpiece of the whole line, the others are meh~

PowJay #10 Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:20 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 39282 battles

I was on my phone earlier. Here is some more information to support my opinion of these vehicles. Sorry about the formatting. Damn, but I must stop using IE!

SU-76G FT. Three tier V battles the other night. High Calibre in the first. Top on damage, but under 1000 HP, in the second and third on damage of both teams in the third battle. All wins. The next night was worse, and my stats took a hit, but ended with this battle. http://wotreplays.eu/site/4984027#province-powjay-su-76g_ft  and this was my first Ace battle. http://wotreplays.eu/site/4973235#empire_s_border-powjay-su-76g_ft

50 Fire for Effect from 60 battles. Four High Calibre when you require at least 1,000 damage to achieve this award. It has a HP pool of 280 HP

And then the 60G FT. It's not as successful as the tier IV, but from a damage point of view, it is fourth on damage of the nine tier V TDs I have in the garage, putting it right in the middle.

42 Fire for Effect from 65 battles.

And the WZ-131G FT. I was surprised when I found that this was as good as the SU-100 for average damage.

48 Fire for Effect from 83 battles. 1 Top Gun. 3 High Calibre a Halonen's medal and two Pascucci.

And the T-34-2G FT. One of my best tier VIIs for average damage ever- although it is still early days. This great battle on Paris. http://wotreplays.eu/site/4776510#paris-powjay-t-34-2g_ft

Stats

59 Fire for Effect from 93 battles and two High Calibre.

So long as they win, then they are worth playing and worth keeping. You never know when WG are going to pop up a new mission requirement to play something that you might not have in the garage. Plus, I am finding these four a lot of fun.

Again, the tier VIII sucks, and although I have only just acquired the best gun, it does not make up for the other deficiencies in my hands.

Roboticus #11 Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 38267 battles
  • [INTC] INTC

Lower tiers will be more competitive. Teir 8 was decent if played in a second line kind of way, and be more aggressive if you're top tier.

Teir 9 & 10 suffer from the same issues, it has armour but it doesn't have armour. If you understand what I mean.

Example, I've just got the tier 10, and it has 230mm frontal Armour, yet you try angling it to compete with other tanks, ANY other tank except for a light, and the rain of Gold shells will go straight through it frontally, unless you are auto bounce angling out, but we all know you are just bouncing a few shells then, you still have to straighten up and aim, then fire. Oh wait everyone has either pulled into cover when you have had time to aim and straighten up, or they have taken half you're hit points away with gold spam as soon as you've straightened  up frontally. Its a frustrating high end line of tanks to play, and similar tanks that suffer the same issues are the OBJ268, Foch B and even though turreted the T110e4. All are in need of a buff. I would recommend you grind for something else, and only grind for this line if you've got nothing else to grind. lol

You will be forced to play passively with all these tanks, and the gun can either be okay, or very derpy. However why would you choose any of these tanks over say a Grille if you want to be passive with high accuracy. Or if you want to be aggressive the OBJ268v4 required you to just drive forward,  face hug enemy, wiggle to make it hard to hit you're already troll bounce cupola, and then get free kills in that order.

Edited by Roboticus, 10 August 2019 - 11:30 PM.

TungstenHitman #12 Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:33 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 29836 battles

They tickled my interest too a while back, I even kept the tier7 and have the tier8 premium which is pretty good. I fast tracked to the tier6 since the lower tiers looked sh*te tbh.

The Tier 6.

Very good tank destroyer, fast, accurate and excellent camo. I can't fault it really it's just that it hits for 250. Now, that's not bad at all but here's the thing, there are 2 other TD's at tier6 that imo are just better. For a fixed turret TD that's very similar you have the SU-100, only that comes with a bonus option of a 390 alpha gun, so there's pretty much no reason to play it. Then, there's another TD, the Hellcat, which hits for almost the same damage, but it's got a turret which obviously is a massive advantage along with camo thats just as good and excellent mobility too, so basically there's TD's that are about the same but hit harder or hit as hard but offer much more flexibility.

Tier 7

I like this TD but can hate it too. It has a viscous rate of fire along with a 390 alpha gun with strong pen along with excellent camo and small size. Problem though is it's bewilderingly slow for a tank that, unlike it's tier8 premium option, has no armor, yet the tier8 is also much faster... this makes sense? to be both much slower AND no armor compared to a similar tank that has armor AND is fast? Well, that's money for ya. It also has really bad view range compared to the tier8 which has crazy good view range. The dpm is purely theoretical though, the gun is really crude and capable of missing every single shot. That said, I kept it for a reason. When it DOES behave itself, and it will for some battles, you're talking 6k+ of raw damage and turrets flying, dead tanks everywhere. So, are these Chinese TD's worth bothering with? Sure.

Isharial #13 Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:35 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22883 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 10 August 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

Bit of a weird comparison to me. It's a Chinese SU-122-44, or if you want to stick to tech tree vehicles it's more like a worse T25 AT/Jagdpanther but with a bit more punch.

I mostly make that comparison because:

A) its the same role, they're both similar size, and both similar speeds, the Jp and the T25 both go a lot faster, same as with the SU

B) I got outdragged by an AT uphill in the T7.. after that I realised just how bad that TD is for speed

22:38 Added after 2 minute

View PostTungstenHitman, on 10 August 2019 - 11:33 PM, said:

They tickled my interest too a while back, I even kept the tier7 and have the tier8 premium which is pretty good. I fast tracked to the tier6 since the lower tiers looked sh*te tbh.

The Tier 6.

Very good tank destroyer, fast, accurate and excellent camo. I can't fault it really it's just that it hits for 250. Now, that's not bad at all but here's the thing, there are 2 other TD's at tier6 that imo are just better. For a fixed turret TD that's very similar you have the SU-100, only that comes with a bonus option of a 390 alpha gun, so there's pretty much no reason to play it. Then, there's another TD, the Hellcat, which hits for almost the same damage, but it's got a turret which obviously is a massive advantage along with camo thats just as good and excellent mobility too, so basically there's TD's that are about the same but hit harder or hit as hard but offer much more flexibility.

Tier 7

I like this TD but can hate it too. It has a viscous rate of fire along with a 390 alpha gun with strong pen along with excellent camo and small size. Problem though is it's bewilderingly slow for a tank that, unlike it's tier8 premium option, has no armor, yet the tier8 is also much faster... this makes sense? to be both much slower AND no armor compared to a similar tank that has armor AND is fast? Well, that's money for ya. It also has really bad view range compared to the tier8 which has crazy good view range. The dpm is purely theoretical though, the gun is really crude and capable of missing every single shot. That said, I kept it for a reason. When it DOES behave itself, and it will for some battles, you're talking 6k+ of raw damage and turrets flying, dead tanks everywhere. So, are these Chinese TD's worth bothering with? Sure.

the T7 really needs a buff to be honest.. if it went as fast as the T-34-1 (which isn't that fast as is), then it would be a Chinese SU, and fine.. but then, it lacks viewrange among other things as you've noted here so I doubt that alone would make it a "viable" choice..

I did like the T6, but why play that over the SU-100 I thought, and moved on once I was done with it.. I regret it a bit, but then, I have the SU-100

Desyatnik_Pansy #14 Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:53 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 17936 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostIsharial, on 10 August 2019 - 11:35 PM, said:

I mostly make that comparison because:

A) its the same role, they're both similar size, and both similar speeds, the Jp and the T25 both go a lot faster, same as with the SU

B) I got outdragged by an AT uphill in the T7.. after that I realised just how bad that TD is for speed

I remember it being quite sluggish, but nowhere near AT7 Levels. It's compares pretty similarly to both the Jagdpanther and T25 On mobility according to tanks.gg.

Xandania #15 Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:27 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41445 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

The premium tier8 is the logical follow-up to tiers 6 and 7 while the techtree tier 8 is something new. I liked it during the days of permanent tier 10 battles as it can reliably hurt them and is not too sluggish, just a bit. My tier 9 got played as a frontline or second-line heavy/td and I had fun with that - the gun mantlet can bounce quite well.

As for the tier 10 - I feel I really do get focussed every time I take it out - with some people suiciding into me - so you can actually use it as bait (or get smashed by arty). Otherwise it got decent frontal armor that, alas, will not stand up to gold or any of the newer tanks with super-penetration. If you happen to get on a citymap however, you can have great games...

Hammerhead20 #16 Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:12 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 28806 battles

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and opinions!

Maybe I will try to get tier 5-7 TD's because those seems to be exciting to play...

Still not sure though...

Anyway, you helped me a bit to understand what this line is all about, so thanks once again!

P33K #17 Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:51 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26056 battles
Tiers 4 and 5 are of these td's are great fun. They are mobile enough with good firepower and stealth.

If you want to freexp, just do it for first 3 tiers.

Oh and you'll benefit from crew camo skills.

Solstad1069 #18 Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 43894 battles

Nice until you reach tier 8, then its pure ebola.

Its so typical WG and how they balance. Lets give it a big fat gun with extreme penetration. 
To balance this they take away everything else.

Edited by Solstad1069, 11 August 2019 - 11:10 AM.

Xandania #19 Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41445 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

View PostSolstad1069, on 11 August 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

Nice until you reach tier 8, then its pure ebola.

Its so typical WG and how they balance. Lets give it a big fat gun with extreme penetration. 
To balance this they take away everything else.

it's just the usual 180° turn in playstyle you often get at tier 8 - and it is entirely possible to play to the advantages these tanks got. Even the most sluggish one with a damaged motor and dead driver is still more mobile and versatile than the Churchill GC...

NUKLEAR_SLUG #20 Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33544 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Chinese TD s attention for everyone but the tier 6 is an absolute monster of a tank, basically a tier 6 SU-122-44 and I personally find the tier 9 to be very effective too. Currently pulling a 61% WR over 211 battles so pretty decent. :) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users