So I Tried Those Skillbookz On A Zero Skill Crew

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 29719 battles

Hey all,

I decided to try one of those 2 million credit skill books yesterday on a new crew for my Pantera that I might use for FL and in any case will use to train a crew for the tier10 I will eventually buy. Not sure if you guys have tried them yet but here are the results I got fyi. What I did was, I made one of my female crew pm rewards a commander, so she already has BIA and one skill/perk of choice already at 100%. Then, I purchased 3 standard crew at 100% trained for the discount 100 gold each. Then I purchased a crewbook for 2 million credits. What I got was the BIA commander jumped only to about 88% of what was effectively a second skill since the BIA is not counted but with the standard crew they all trained to a 100% skill/perk + 50% of a second skill/perk(perk wont work in this case obviously) and that was really really nice to be able to bypass that annoying phase of crew grinding and of course, with a standard crew you can immediately have 6th sense so don't have to suffer all those "did I get spotted for that?...... CLANG!..... yes, yes I was" moments.

What that meant was that for 2 million, which wasn't too much of a kick in the plums for me, I suddenly had a crew with BIA and 50% camo straight out of the box. Now, without the female crew and her SIA or BIA whatever, as standard, of course I would not have been able to go straight for a full BIA setup AND have 6th sense since I would only have been left with a 50% training of the second skill/perk and 6th sense being a perk needs 100% obviously so maybe I would have needed to buy a 2nd skill book or just forget about the BIA for a while. 

I have tried the skill books on 4 skill crew to try and close out some crew that were on 90% or such, but I discovered that was a total waste of credits since it barely moved them a few % so my advice would be not to waste credits on already heavily trained crew but at the same time, this was my first zero skill crew I tried them on, wanted to share the results with you guys and found that in the case of a zero skilled crew I fount them really great value and restores a keeper tank with no crew back to something like it's former glory and back to being a decent tank again straight out of the box with a new crew. It's actually made me look at some other tanks with no crew I once loved knocking around the garage unused and consider buying back tanks I used to enjoy but sold because they had no decent crew.

What do you guys think about them so far? Do you feel they're good value or way too expensive? Have you purchased any and what tanks have you got back on the road again you had been ignoring or sold due to a lack of crew for them?

Edited by TungstenHitman, 13 August 2019 - 11:58 AM.

fwhaatpiraat #2 Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56365 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
They are cheap a f, if you run a premium account.

LordMuffin #3 Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51548 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
I think the 2 000 000 credits crewbooks are very good and decently prised.
After you get your crew to 100% you can use them and get 6th sense immediately.

I haven't tried giving a fresh 100% crew 2 books to see how far it will have them go. But if 2 books = 2 complete skills, or very close. Even 2 books might be worth it.

r00barb #4 Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27523 battles

I think they're great for a new crew but it's annoying that the crew has to be at 100% of their main qualification and in the appropriate tank in order to use them.

For example, I wanted to put my crew from the Centurion 1 in the 7/1. Once I'd researched the tier IX, I retrained them with credits (you can do that without buying the tank once it's researched) and put them in the 5/1 to bring them back to 100%. I intended to use free xp to upgrade the 7/1 before I bought it but when I tried to apply a crew book to the crew, it wouldn't let me as they were in the 5/1 but trained on the 7/1. I had to buy the 7/1 and put them in that, buy the crew book and then put them back in the 5/1.

I would have bought the 7/1 anyway so it's not about spending the credits or using the garage slot. I can see why it's implemented like this, to encourage people to spend gold on retraining instead of credits, but it's an unnecessary annoyance.

At least now though I can keep my mid-tier training tanks for new 75% crews, play a few battles with a crew xp reserve and then throw a crew book at them before I move them up to whichever tank they're going to live in.

woolfie #5 Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 49324 battles

If you have 2 million credits to spare and need to use a new crew then crewbooks are a good buy.

Some will think they are too expensive, some will think too cheap.

I think they are priced just right and you get decent bang for your buck.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 71481 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

The free 20 000 XP books gets you to 50% on the first skill, and ofc the 200K book gets you to 50% on the second. You need 3 200K books if you want 3 skills.

And I've bought a fair share as is. As my Matilda IV has over 700 battles, since it was the only crew trainer for a long time for Russian meds. Same with the Chi-Nu-Kai that trained each crew from 6 to 9 to 2 or 3 skills from a 75% base. That's a lot of time spent on those crews.

As if you want a good crew prior to the books on a tier X with nothing to take from. You had to train. And on a tier 5 as the only option, it takes time. And those books have saved me from a fair few 100 battles as is I suspect for new tanks etc. UK lights I took the 100% crew from the Excalibur and used books on those, and retrained them. Jobs done in less than a min vs a full week normally. So yeah. I love them so far.

SaintMaddenus #7 Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 37361 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

"I think they're great for a new crew but it's annoying that the crew has to be at 100% of their main qualification and in the appropriate tank in order to use them"

That's my bug about them too.    you have to be 100% qualified.   BEFORE you can "train" your crew with a book...      So.. at school they say read this book as PART of your studies.   Good thing this is a game and not real life.... fancy reading books AFTER you got your qualification.... :hiding:

WhoCares01 #8 Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19227 battles

View PostLordMuffin, on 13 August 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

I think the 2 000 000 credits crewbooks are very good and decently prised.
After you get your crew to 100% you can use them and get 6th sense immediately.

I haven't tried giving a fresh 100% crew 2 books to see how far it will have them go. But if 2 books = 2 complete skills, or very close. Even 2 books might be worth it.

With a fresh 100% crew, the first crew book for 2 million will get you to 50% of the second skill. Another such crew book will get the same crew from 50% to 92% of the second skill. A crew would need to be at >81% of the second skill complete that skill with a crew book.

You can try it out and play around with this crew skill calculator.

So it is really most beneficial for the first skill.

100% crew => 1st skill + 50% of the second skill

50% of 2nd skill => 92% of 2nd skill (130k exp missing!)

82% of 2nd skill => 100% +10k

93% of 3rd skill => 100% +17k

97% of 4th skill => 100% +30k

I made good use of those crew books to train me a HT crew for the WZ 5-A TotT last month as well as a Chinese LT crew. Then an American HT crew for tier 8+ (the better initial crew stays in T29). A 2nd Italian crew around Commandante Buffoon for StanB (better first crew eventually moves on to Prog65, whenever I will buy it). Then a book (or was it 2?) for a German TD crew on the Toaster. Thanks to the crew books I also have started to train some new crews, earmarked for keepers or tier 10s, something I might have not bothered with if there was not the prospect of boosting the crews sometimes in the future.

Edited by WhoCares01, 13 August 2019 - 01:59 PM.

TheDrownedApe #9 Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:35 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48655 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

I think I've bought 5 of them since they came out although never on a fresh crew though as I don't have/need anymore crews. I wanted my Chinese crew to hit their 7th skill so bought 3 of them for that and then I only have a 3 skill crew in my PL 53Tp so I bought 2 for them also.

They are very cheap for all that Exp and I have plenty of credits to spare.

Edited by TheDrownedApe, 13 August 2019 - 01:36 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #10 Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:51 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33517 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
They are really good to use if you happen to have a tank with a lot of crew, like a TOG for example, because you can pretty much train up a crew and a half for the same cost as a single tank crew. 

BlueSnail #11 Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21192 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 13 August 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

They are really good to use if you happen to have a tank with a lot of crew, like a TOG for example, because you can pretty much train up a crew and a half for the same cost as a single tank crew.

This is a very good point,  My T28E F30 (tier 4 premium) has a 6 member crew.  Also the Japanese heavies have a lot of crew.  These would be really good for Crew Books (Training Manuals).

And it seems that the consensus is that the Crew Books are best used on new crews.

Its nice to start out with a BIA crew, or a crew with 6th Sense.

Schepel #12 Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 64274 battles

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 13 August 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

"I think they're great for a new crew but it's annoying that the crew has to be at 100% of their main qualification and in the appropriate tank in order to use them"

That's my bug about them too.    you have to be 100% qualified.   BEFORE you can "train" your crew with a book...      So.. at school they say read this book as PART of your studies.   Good thing this is a game and not real life.... fancy reading books AFTER you got your qualification.... :hiding:

Which is exactly what many of us need to do over here. Medical professionals need to get 'back to school' every year or they lose their status. Lawyers also need to do that. Even as a teacher I am 'strongly encouraged' to keep up with new thinking on education etc. And so on, and so forth. A degree is not the end, but rather the beginning of one's professional education.

WhoCares01 #13 Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19227 battles

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 13 August 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

Also useful for 100% crews you get with some premium tanks that you do not intent to use or have other crews of the line to play with (e.g. RAM II from recent tank rewards event). So the crew is free for cannibalization to other tanks/lines:

1. do not(!) assign them a skill,
  2. apply the crew book to them while on the tank they came with (eg. RAM II),
  3. then transfer them to their new tank(s),
  4. retrain them for credits (=>90% if it is the same tank class, 80% if it's a different tank class)
  5. assign skills 

This way the crew member will be at 100% primary skill right away. If it's on the same tank class (= 90% retraining), the crew member will still have a completed 1st skill, retraining to a different class (80%), he will be ~23k shot of the first skill - good that WG is fairly generous in giving out those 20k crew books ;)

Note that retraining for credits is only possible when sticking to the same main qualification, like MT radioman to HT radioman. Changing qualifaction is only possible with gold!

Edited by WhoCares01, 13 August 2019 - 02:38 PM.

r00barb #14 Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27523 battles

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 13 August 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

Good thing this is a game and not real life.... fancy reading books AFTER you got your qualification.... :hiding:

Yeah, right! It takes me long enough to finish colouring one in, I'm not going to try reading it as well. :sceptic:

TheR3dBaron #15 Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 36335 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

Here you can calculate what a combination of books gives you:

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/updates/1-5-1-crew-books/

skill4ltu made a vide about it. He says you don't need premium tanks any more, but a premium account. Buy 1 premium tank to farm credits. Buy crew books to get 2 - 3 skills. I have premium tanks for every nation, which is not necessary any more.

How_hard_can_it_be #16 Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 42165 battles

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 13 August 2019 - 11:52 AM, said:

They are cheap a f, if you run a premium account.

They're expensive a f, if you run a standard account. Like me.

arthurwellsley #17 Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:22 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 54054 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostSchepel, on 13 August 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

Which is exactly what many of us need to do over here. Medical professionals need to get 'back to school' every year or they lose their status. Lawyers also need to do that. Even as a teacher I am 'strongly encouraged' to keep up with new thinking on education etc. And so on, and so forth. A degree is not the end, but rather the beginning of one's professional education.

Same thing happens in the UK.

Despite the fact I have number of degrees I am still required to complete a certain number of "CPD" points each year to maintain my professional qualification.

CPD stands for "Continuing Professional Development".

Bordhaw #18 Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:23 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14476 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 13 August 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

What do you guys think about them so far? Do you feel they're good value or way too expensive? Have you purchased any and what tanks have you got back on the road again you had been ignoring or sold due to a lack of crew for them?

They are obviously for new players to get ahead or for any players to quickly train a new crew to some sort of useful skill level. 

Schepel #19 Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 64274 battles

View PostBordhaw, on 13 August 2019 - 06:23 PM, said:

They are obviously for new players to get ahead or for any players to quickly train a new crew to some sort of useful skill level. 

2M is quite the investment for a new player, though. It may be meant for new players, but I fear it may put them at an even greater disadvantage. Established players with credits and gold to burn will be able to skip that awkward phase of a 75% / 100% crew. New players won't be anywhere near that position for quite some time.

I am, however, quite happy with the skill books. It makes my goal to own every single tech tree vehicle with a proper crew and everything that much easier to obtain.

Edited by Schepel, 13 August 2019 - 08:08 PM.

fwhaatpiraat #20 Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56365 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostHow_hard_can_it_be, on 13 August 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

They're expensive a f, if you run a standard account. Like me.

Same here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users