Questions about Map tactics and ideas

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

LordMuffin #1 Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

I just read a thread when a poor soul was blindshotted when trying to spot from certain bushes. The tip, as Mr slug pointed out, is of course to use less obvious bushes.

But where are the less obvious bushes in this case? Nobody knows.

Also there could be more players like him with similar problems.

So now we can have a thread where anyone can ask any questions in relation to map, tactics, what could have been done in certain situations, which bushes that are obvious and which aren't, or any other questions of this type. 

Btw.

If you start east on Fjords, just rush for the ditch if you are in a light or medium of some speed.

And a very non-obvious bush which is very strong on Westfield. 

If you start at top right.

There is a bush at G6 which gives clear view on enemies approaching the standard medium spot K7 and also some view on that hill.

With one TD that can shot at E6, you should get roughly 3k assist every game.

From bottom left spawn there is a similar bush G6 that do same thing. 

Fun thing, the path to the bushes cross each other, so if top right goes for bush, buttom left will drive straight into him, and vice versa.

You should test this bushes out imo.

Any questions about anything regarding map tactics, ideas, locations or what to do in certain situations are welcome.

And anyone can of course answer.

Edited by LordMuffin, 13 August 2019 - 06:24 PM.

Catz_are_Cool #2 Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 431 battles

View PostLordMuffin, on 13 August 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

So now we can have a thread where anyone can ask any questions in relation to map, tactics, what could have been done in certain situations, which bushes that are obvious and which aren't, or any other questions of this type. 

we already have a whole sub forum dedicated to that

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/forum/37-maps/

you are just reinforcing the failure that is called 'Gameplay'

ChristOfTheAbyss #3 Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:19 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 251 battles

View PostCatz_are_Cool, on 13 August 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

Map tactics are gameplay, fit here perfectly. And as this is the most read section in the forums I dont see any reason why thiswouldnt fit in here.

Catz_are_Cool #4 Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

Private

• Player
  • 431 battles

View PostChristOfTheAbyss, on 13 August 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

Map tactics are gameplay, fit here perfectly. And as this is the most read section in the forums I dont see any reason why thiswouldnt fit in here.

probably most topics fit here, does not mean we intentionally ignore the dedicated forum section or encourage others to do so

ChristOfTheAbyss #5 Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 251 battles

View PostCatz_are_Cool, on 13 August 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:

probably most topics fit here, does not mean we intentionally ignore the dedicated forum section or encourage others to do so

It pretty much does, or there's no conversation in here. 

gunslingerXXX #6 Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:13 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12535 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
4tankersanddog scout guides are pretty good to find useful positions.

LordMuffin #7 Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostCatz_are_Cool, on 13 August 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

It could be posted there if that section actually had any readers at all.

I have tried the vehicle section there and it takes weeks to get a reply, if a reply ever comes at all.

jack_timber #8 Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 39167 battles

Often blind fire when using fastish reloading arty at known bushes or balconies.

It can be sometimes surprising when you see post battle results.

OmniWalou #9 Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 452 battles

Remember, every tree you see is an opportunity for a bush when it's knocked down.

I see way too many people just parking next to a tree and not knock it down to create soft cover. On pretty much every map you can create positions, situational or strong in general, by knocking down trees.

LordMuffin #10 Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostOmniWalou, on 14 August 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

Remember, every tree you see is an opportunity for a bush when it's knocked down.

I see way too many people just parking next to a tree and not knock it down to create soft cover. On pretty much every map you can create positions, situational or strong in general, by knocking down trees.

Indeed you can, you just have to hope arty or enemies doesn't spot it and shoot you.

It is a small risk to take,  but often worth it.

In general I try to avoid it if I am going for a more aggressive early bush to spot in. In later stages of the game, it can be very strong.

Also, I found an exceptional tree at Prokhorovka today.

If you spawn south and go along the red line towards the E1 bush. You will find a tree line 50-100m away from the E1 bush.

Staying behind the tree in the ELC AMX (grinding towards T6 WV) I outspotted 2 light tanks who went for the E1 bush.

I found it very weird and have to go there a few more times to see if it actually works.

Edited by LordMuffin, 14 August 2019 - 05:07 PM.

OmniWalou #11 Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 452 battles

View PostLordMuffin, on 14 August 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

Indeed you can, you just have to hope arty or enemies doesn't spot it and shoot you.

It is a small risk to take,  but often worth it.

In general I try to avoid it if I am going for a more aggressive early bush to spot in. In later stages of the game, it can be very strong.

For some reason I have found it's extremely rare that someone sees a tree being knocked over and realises it being used for spotting and shoots it. Of course there is the obvious trees of Steppes but I usually knock those down and not hide behind them at start if I am there, kind of like a decoy.

And yeah those aggressive spotting bushes work better than knocking down a tree. Trees are more for defensive situations and situational positions, although some are strong during the match even in frontlines like for example Paris map when you go to 'heavy corner' from east and take the top side at K7, you can knock down 2 trees to make yourself a nice nest. You will remain unspotted when peeking and I've managed to even double bush there with some tanks and not get spotted after shooting

Block Quote

If you spawn south and go along the red line towards the E1 bush. You will find a tree line 50-100m away from the E1 bush.

Staying behind the tree in the ELC AMX (grinding towards T6 WV) I outspotted 2 light tanks who went for the E1 bush.

I found it very weird and have to go there a few more times to see if it actually works.

Possibly know what you mean if it's the same position you can use to shoot middle and have the terrain break the LOS to the E1 bush. Do you remember if the LTs took the lower or higher ground to try to go to the bush? As in did they hug the red line or not?

Edited by OmniWalou, 14 August 2019 - 05:25 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #12 Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33535 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostLordMuffin, on 14 August 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

There a similar set of bushes a short way back and down the slopes a little from the north direction. That is a good bush to spot those going for E1 tho you trade a bit of depth of vision. 

kubawt112 #13 Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

I'm not an expert on the matter of bushes, but I suspect there are not a lot of very useful and not-that-obvious bushes.

View PostOmniWalou, on 14 August 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

Yeah. Trees are often impressive for camo.

Should perhaps also mention that bushes have different camo values - or maybe it was had. The same applies to trees, which gave a bit less when knocked down (moreso if it was a leafy one than a pine tree). Dunno if it's like that still, though. Nowadays it seems like just about any bush is 'dense'.

LordMuffin #14 Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 14 August 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

There a similar set of bushes a short way back and down the slopes a little from the north direction. That is a good bush to spot those going for E1 tho you trade a bit of depth of vision. 

Yes, but I meant a literal tree that was literary 50-100m away from E1 bushes. 

06:19 Added after 2 minute

View PostOmniWalou, on 14 August 2019 - 05:24 PM, said:

For some reason I have found it's extremely rare that someone sees a tree being knocked over and realises it being used for spotting and shoots it. Of course there is the obvious trees of Steppes but I usually knock those down and not hide behind them at start if I am there, kind of like a decoy.

And yeah those aggressive spotting bushes work better than knocking down a tree. Trees are more for defensive situations and situational positions, although some are strong during the match even in frontlines like for example Paris map when you go to 'heavy corner' from east and take the top side at K7, you can knock down 2 trees to make yourself a nice nest. You will remain unspotted when peeking and I've managed to even double bush there with some tanks and not get spotted after shooting

Possibly know what you mean if it's the same position you can use to shoot middle and have the terrain break the LOS to the E1 bush. Do you remember if the LTs took the lower or higher ground to try to go to the bush? As in did they hug the red line or not?

I think they took high ground route. Spotted 1 when he was in bush and the other just as he moved into it.

Kind of stupid that it worked. Hide the ELC AMX behind a single tree and still no get spotted from 50-100m.

Haven't had the map from south since, so haven't been able to check it more.

I want south spawn with a crew with 6th sense. Currently playing T6 WV with a 75% crew, so a bit away.

Indeed, defensively knocking down trees is very strong,you can setup many fun ambushes that way in more maneuverable TDS or lights (like the Udes or the Strv S1 for example).

Edited by LordMuffin, 15 August 2019 - 07:20 AM.

fwhaatpiraat #15 Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56520 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
This thread would become so much better with screenshots from the exact locations.

LordMuffin #16 Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:57 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 15 August 2019 - 07:27 AM, said:

This thread would become so much better with screenshots from the exact locations.

I only browse using phone, so kind of hard to get.

Will try to get a screenshots of the placed mentioned when I get the map next time. But it might take a while.

I have to remember to press the print screen buttom after all....

Edited by LordMuffin, 15 August 2019 - 08:58 AM.

TheDrownedApe #17 Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48674 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View Postjack_timber, on 14 August 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

Often blind fire when using fastish reloading arty at known bushes or balconies.

It can be sometimes surprising when you see post battle results.

Indeed my fist game yesterday in GW tiger P was Prok. Enemy platoon of 3 x BC 12t on the enemy team so my 1st shot went into the obvious bush just outside base. Result, one BC12t no longer alive and 1k damage for me :). Then nothing much happening for 2 mins ish so a couple of shells in the TD sniper bush behind that spot resulted in nice after battle damage boost.

I was surprised to receive no PMs after the game TBH, but then obvious bush = your own fault

Edited by TheDrownedApe, 15 August 2019 - 01:35 PM.

LordMuffin #18 Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

The tree at Prokhorovka to test out. I checked it in the T6 WV. And it did give a bunch of camo.

Here is the location.

The skoda was way closer, like 80m away, and didn't spot me. Just forgot to take a printscreen when he was at his closest.

From this I have also spotted enemies in the E1 bush upon arriving here, and also spotted enemies trying to get into the E1 bush. This is less obvious then E1, spots a bit worse, but less YOLO tanks will find you here I think.

Anyway, a tank with good viewrange should be able to get something done from here I guess.

19:05 Added after 4 minute

And Westfield.

This is a very strong Westfield bush-area from the spawn I came from. There are a multitude of bushes just here, find one which gives a clear view over the K-line, I picked slightly wrong here, should have went a bit up and to the left to optimise it.

Especially with a tank with some viewrange, but even this tank with terrible vierange spotted that Skoda.

With better viewrange and a light tank, you will be able to spot every enemy tank going up the K-line. and with 1 team mate at houses at E6, the assist will roll in. Now I didn't have any team mate there, so I didn't get much assistance for this battle.

The T37 above me didn't spot me btw.

I pretty much never ever meet someone when I go to the Westfield location, seeing the T37 there was a huge surprise. So it seems to be a very non-obvious bush, at least this far.

19:06 Added after 5 minute

Images added.

Edited by LordMuffin, 18 August 2019 - 08:07 PM.

OmniWalou #19 Posted Yesterday, 04:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 452 battles

I started browsing through the map list from wiki and came up with a lot of positions, to almost every map.. I would love to show screenshots of them but that would require a lot of time spent in training room (this could of course be arranged) since a lot of positions are situational, partly because they are defensive locations or for certain kind of team distribution on the map.

But in my opinion the following still stands; every tree can be used as a bush. So whenever you see a tree, try to figure out how to knock it down so it gives you cover towards the enemy direction. A big bushy ones you can hide inside of, giving you cover to all directions. The tall, thin cypress trees you can knock down so they give you soft cover for a wide area. Pine trees you can knock down in different directions to give you a safe nest of soft cover, and so on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users