Why have ALL the maps been made so bad?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Random_Humanoid #1 Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17651 battles

as I have said in previous posts I am giving WOT another look after a long break, I stopped pretty much after 1.0 because defender, 468v4, stun, and buggy HD maps

I was playing frontlines but its not on so I thought I might try randoms for a week, give myself a genuine chance to see how the game has changed

so much !!  I have lines of new tanks in garage from Swedish meds, polish, to new lines of Russian heavies, 430u, 705a, panzer 7, wheeled frenchies, Italian tanks, looks great :B

and then I play the game and its trashed :(

I have turned off encounter because of mines which I cannot believe is still there as an encounter map, how long has that been an issue which WG just won't sort out?:facepalm:

I have turned of assault because of erlenberg, which is just a terrible map

great maps like steppes have these stupid camping zones added, good maps like Kharkov have these stupid camping zones added, bad maps like fjords have been made totally imbalanced and good maps like sand river assault, old erlenberg, kharkov, Stalingrad have been removed,  and every new map is terrible minsk, studzianski, glacier, 

there seem to be several common threads,

1-make the maps totally campfest with stupidly OP areas for players to hide at the back of the map:bush::bush::bush:

2-make the cover so heavy you cannot spot anything even when they are shooting  :bush:

3-totally remove the skill in any  map and make it slugfest and a game of pure chance? :coin:

4-remove all flanking options and the ability to have fast moving gameplay:bush:

5-allow maps to become totally unbalanced, please note I do not mean symmetrical I just mean fair on both teams

the worst thing is so many of these issues were raised before 1.0 was introduced in the sandbox and if anything WG has listened and made things even worse instead of addressing the issue

it is so saddening to play this game now, I used to love it but I just do not get why WG seem intent on trashing everything that was good in their game

the only funny thing I find now is as my premium time is out I am actually making credits !!  no consumables, no gold ammo spam just playing free and mourning the game

I see there have been ideas announced about things like gold ammo, and I see that team damage has been removed and these seem good ideas overall, but why cant WG focus on the basic game mechanics and get those sorted instead of fiddling around the edges?

stormermp #2 Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 46457 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

View PostRandom_Humanoid, on 15 August 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

as I have said in previous posts I am giving WOT another look after a long break, I stopped pretty much after 1.0 because defender, 468v4, stun, and buggy HD maps

I was playing frontlines but its not on so I thought I might try randoms for a week, give myself a genuine chance to see how the game has changed

so much !!  I have lines of new tanks in garage from Swedish meds, polish, to new lines of Russian heavies, 430u, 705a, panzer 7, wheeled frenchies, Italian tanks, looks great :B

and then I play the game and its trashed :(

I have turned off encounter because of mines which I cannot believe is still there as an encounter map, how long has that been an issue which WG just won't sort out?:facepalm:

I have turned of assault because of erlenberg, which is just a terrible map

great maps like steppes have these stupid camping zones added, good maps like Kharkov have these stupid camping zones added, bad maps like fjords have been made totally imbalanced and good maps like sand river assault, old erlenberg, kharkov, Stalingrad have been removed,  and every new map is terrible minsk, studzianski, glacier, 

there seem to be several common threads,

1-make the maps totally campfest with stupidly OP areas for players to hide at the back of the map:bush::bush::bush:

2-make the cover so heavy you cannot spot anything even when they are shooting  :bush:

3-totally remove the skill in any  map and make it slugfest and a game of pure chance? :coin:

4-remove all flanking options and the ability to have fast moving gameplay:bush:

5-allow maps to become totally unbalanced, please note I do not mean symmetrical I just mean fair on both teams

the worst thing is so many of these issues were raised before 1.0 was introduced in the sandbox and if anything WG has listened and made things even worse instead of addressing the issue

it is so saddening to play this game now, I used to love it but I just do not get why WG seem intent on trashing everything that was good in their game

the only funny thing I find now is as my premium time is out I am actually making credits !!  no consumables, no gold ammo spam just playing free and mourning the game

I see there have been ideas announced about things like gold ammo, and I see that team damage has been removed and these seem good ideas overall, but why cant WG focus on the basic game mechanics and get those sorted instead of fiddling around the edges?

I think it is time for better tank games to be developed prefferably by the western hemisphere,wot is going down just as communism did in europe,ppl are abandoning WG's games

Dragos_CS #3 Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:34 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21458 battles
  • [LGEND] LGEND
I have to agree. All map changes in the last 2 years, as well as new maps, have been sub-par. 1.0 bushes are OP. Elevated soft+hard cover position are stupid and only serve the TD bots who dont move for the entire game.

Negativvv #4 Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12125 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

I uncheck Assault and Encounter too, as if you don't it makes the map ban feature utterly useless.

The game is enjoyable but the main issue are the corridor maps and heavily entrenched spawn areas with bushes AND the large open spaces to get to them. 

There are ways around it but its too easy to resort to camping. 

NekoPuffer_PPP #5 Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:04 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33686 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Maps are too open, and you can get shot from literally any angle. That's why Mountain Pass is my favorite map and always will be. HILLS to hide behind, both from arty and other tanks.

That "trench" area on Studzianki? More maps should have such dips in terrain, especially maps such as Fisherman's Bay and others I can't name because map names are something I pay the least attention to...

Himmelsdorf, Ensk, Ruinberg, these maps all support tier 10 tanks...ridiculous! Himms should be tier 6 max, Ensk the same, Ruinberg I could live with being tier 7 max.

Adding on the the above maps, WHY, oh WHY does arty still spawn on these tiny city maps? Arty on Ensk rarely survives long enough to load the first shell...and if you get a good result on Himms you might as well go buy a lottery ticket. There is no point in having arty on those maps. The MM should exclude artillery from certain tiny maps.

HundeWurst #6 Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 74992 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 15 August 2019 - 05:04 PM, said:

Maps are too open, and you can get shot from literally any angle. That's why Mountain Pass is my favorite map and always will be. HILLS to hide behind, both from arty and other tanks.

That "trench" area on Studzianki? More maps should have such dips in terrain, especially maps such as Fisherman's Bay and others I can't name because map names are something I pay the least attention to...

Himmelsdorf, Ensk, Ruinberg, these maps all support tier 10 tanks...ridiculous! Himms should be tier 6 max, Ensk the same, Ruinberg I could live with being tier 7 max.

Adding on the the above maps, WHY, oh WHY does arty still spawn on these tiny city maps? Arty on Ensk rarely survives long enough to load the first shell...and if you get a good result on Himms you might as well go buy a lottery ticket. There is no point in having arty on those maps. The MM should exclude artillery from certain tiny maps.

No not top open but really badly designed. It might already help to increase the size to 1200X1200 meters.

Right now most maps are filled with cosplayer sniper spots so the TDs can "snipe". However most of the time these of the spots are completly and utterly broken.

They ruined so many decent maps pre 1.0... Stepps, once my most liked map, turned to trash with poop on top. Its the same over and over again. You either have close combat quaters with hulldowns EVERYWHERE, or completly open fields without ANY cover.

Its just stunning how pathetic the map design is. Easily the worst aspect of this game right now.

N_Sask_R #7 Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13055 battles

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 15 August 2019 - 05:04 PM, said:

Don't do that!  I got my first couple arty ace mastery on himmelsdorf.  Sure the first couple times I think I maybe only hit a tree or building but I think it works just fine (this is where people first learn to hate arty).  I do indeed have a dislike for city maps and prefer snow....but that doesn't mean I want to have every map be a shaded meadow covered in crisp white snow!   It's good to have some variety and step out of your comfort zone.

As for the overall gripe about maps, show me stats with win rates for sides of maps showing a noticable victory margin for one side and I would maybe agree a map is "bad".  All maps get boring, knowing where the campers are gets boring but I doubt we'll see a "map of the week" with a retro-new look and feel to it where everyone is happy and uses no artificial colouring nor flavours in the future.

Xandania #8 Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41394 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-
I kinda miss the vanished maps - hopefully they reintroduce them in the future...

LordMuffin #9 Posted Yesterday, 12:29 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51548 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
The faster WG can ditch their current completely failed and retarded map-design philosophy the better.

It seems WG is completely unable to create decent maps, and as soon as they change a map, it gets worse (Pilsen, Kharkov, Steppes, Sand River).
WGs competence regarding creating maps is just as good as their competence when balancing tank. Which is non-existent.

They should just fire entire map design department and reintroduce the guys who created maps like Redshire, Prokhorovka, Murovanka etc.

If_I_Die_You_Die_Too #10 Posted Yesterday, 01:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9660 battles

There must be a policy reason for so many bad maps to be used

Bad maps give a higher game churn rate or something

It's certainly not for generating good gameplay so there must be another reason

Random_Humanoid #11 Posted Yesterday, 01:45 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17651 battles

OMG

just played 1st game on province

what is this garbage WG, that used to be a lovely low tier map, really good for teaching players how to play the game now its unplayable

terrifying , only word I can think of to describe this map design and the developers who think this is the way forward

Element6 #12 Posted Yesterday, 02:20 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31205 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Poststormermp, on 15 August 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

I think it is time for better tank games to be developed prefferably by the western hemisphere,wot is going down just as communism did in europe,ppl are abandoning WG's games

People are abandoning all games eventually, and only 1 in 10 games actually make it out of the pit lane, so good luck with creating another game like this that is supposedly better. I heard there was a WoT clone that tried once...

Would you be up for another 46.000 battles from a fresh start in a new game?

Negativvv #13 Posted Yesterday, 02:23 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12125 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostRandom_Humanoid, on 16 August 2019 - 01:45 AM, said:

OMG

just played 1st game on province

what is this garbage WG, that used to be a lovely low tier map, really good for teaching players how to play the game now its unplayable

terrifying , only word I can think of to describe this map design and the developers who think this is the way forward

Providence is diseased yes.

South side are basically spawn locked unless they cross over and bush spot from the hill top bit.

Likewise the North team is in a similar situation unless they cross over and bush spot on that balcony. 

Massive open bits in the middle of the map make pushing suicide. 

Quite a few maps in the rota are boredom tests where the first team to get enough people running into the open loses.

lnfernaI #14 Posted Yesterday, 05:06 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33173 battles
  • [ICYA] ICYA

The direct, short answer would be - that the majority of the players are noobs, and WG has to cater to them, otherwise the game dies.

Spoiler

Edited by lnfernaI, Yesterday, 05:07 AM.

Random_Humanoid #15 Posted Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17651 battles

View PostlnfernaI, on 16 August 2019 - 04:06 AM, said:

The direct, short answer would be - that the majority of the players are noobs, and WG has to cater to them, otherwise the game dies.

Spoiler

judging by the number of posts about the game players base halving or more WG are killing their game since 9.17 and the changes they have made, clearly if your argument is valid it is time WG changed course

lnfernaI #16 Posted Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33173 battles
  • [ICYA] ICYA

View PostRandom_Humanoid, on 16 August 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

judging by the number of posts about the game players base halving or more WG are killing their game since 9.17 and the changes they have made, clearly if your argument is valid it is time WG changed course

It's a business model which capitalises on the stupidity of said noobs. Hence, it's working. no reason to change anything, because they will start crying, although it means WG will just milk them harder, LOL.

Random_Humanoid #17 Posted Yesterday, 05:23 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17651 battles

View PostlnfernaI, on 16 August 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

It's a business model which capitalises on the stupidity of said noobs. Hence, it's working. no reason to change anything, because they will start crying, although it means WG will just milk them harder, LOL.

a business model which halves your customer base is suicide and simply cannot work :confused:

LincolnTank #18 Posted Yesterday, 07:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9616 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I believe that maps should be larger and with open plan to allow development and adoption of different tactics.

I’d also like to see the engine generate random features at each load point to prevent the World of Camps phenomenon we’re seeing now - a totally random map would make players think about how they’re going to play

bnmm113 #19 Posted Yesterday, 09:43 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7991 battles
  • [ISW2] ISW2

make a couple of reeeeally big maps (talking about 15k meters x 15k meters),

then take 1500m x 1500m random chunks out of these maps….

every game Will have a new map, it wont be balanced (probably), but it Will be always something new and exciting.

also some maps could be made like arma maps, where the landscape is taken from a real place, so theterrain is more realistic

stormermp #20 Posted Yesterday, 09:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 46457 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

View PostElement6, on 16 August 2019 - 01:20 AM, said:

People are abandoning all games eventually, and only 1 in 10 games actually make it out of the pit lane, so good luck with creating another game like this that is supposedly better. I heard there was a WoT clone that tried once...

Would you be up for another 46.000 battles from a fresh start in a new game?

So let us help WG to gtfo faster,so they can enjoy their glorious tanks in their own crapcountries,and i would gladly start fresh with a good enjoyable balanced game just like thousands more like me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users