Blind shot by O-I outside render range

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

TheR3dBaron #1 Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:54 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 36725 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

Tl;dr At 8:25 I blind shoot an O-I on H4 with arty. At 8:13 he blind shoots me on A4. At 5:18 he gets spotted in the line from the previous location. After the game he confirms he went for a blind a shot.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4995827#malinovka-ther3dbaron-m44

Now, by playing arty I get everything I deserve I guess. In my defence, I need to stun 2 vehicles with one shot 7 times for a mission.

He is a good player and I do blind shoot sometimes as well, even at arty, when I'm close by, and I'm certain to have flat terrain and line of sight. With an O-I to shoot outside render range with that reload ... it is possible, as he did it. However, arty is usually in a ditch somewhere and not worth having a go at, especially since you are without a shell if another enemy shows up.

Would you have taken that shot?

Nishi_Kinuyo #2 Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:00 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9018 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

With 100 shells in my tank, yes, I would.

I can literally keep the firing button pressed down and not run out during a 15 minute battle.

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 16 August 2019 - 11:01 PM.

OmniWalou #3 Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 452 battles

But you weren't in a ditch and he could see it by lining up the hit indicator. It was a stagnated situation so why wouldn't he shoot? You took a blind shot yourself fully knowing that you have a long reload and couldn't shoot at anything else while you were reloading. How is this any different, other than you had no idea there was someone there where you shot? The O-I knew where to aim. A good question is, how did you know to shoot to that spot with no one spotted there? Why didn't you rather shoot the KV-2s last known location?

PS. Why don't you have the minimap circles on?

Edited by OmniWalou, 16 August 2019 - 11:16 PM.

Stevies_Team #4 Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12106 battles
With 100 cheap monster shells in your tonk you'd be mad not to chuck it about a bit

lutsinho #5 Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22021 battles
  • [REBLS] REBLS
I would also be more inclined to take a blindshot with the risk of losing an opportunity between reloads if arty was involved. I guess the same also applies for the O-I

Balc0ra #6 Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72692 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Well, considering that the hit direction is rather accurate now. And it works even on arty. If you never relocate, he doesn't need to do much to put two and two together and take a guess on your location. Even more so if there are no "ditches" in that direction. He might have done several bind fires in your direction too. Or did you ask about that?

TheR3dBaron #7 Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 36725 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

From H4 to A4?

I know he sees the line where he got him from, but with a 20 second reload you only need 45 shells for the entire game.

OmniWalou #8 Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 452 battles

View PostTheR3dBaron, on 16 August 2019 - 11:58 PM, said:

From H4 to A4?

I know he sees the line where he got him from, but with a 20 second reload you only need 45 shells for the entire game.

Why are you so concerned that he shot and risked a 20s reload when you yourself shot blindly to a position where you didn't know anyone would be in and you have almost 20s reload as well?

Stevies_Team #9 Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12106 battles

Did a shell rack blind shot job on a tier 8 in my skoda (or something like that with 200 pen)

Chit happens if you get lucky

Don't forget that the RNG screws you over sometimes

Xandania #10 Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:15 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42777 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

Best O-I kills are always the blindshots towards the enemy cap in the beginning of a game - happens once in a blue moon, but when it happens it's great fun - last time I managed it was when global chat was still a thing and the amount of irritation from the enemy team was priceless xD

Orkbert #11 Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:30 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 28146 battles

View PostTheR3dBaron, on 16 August 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

After the game he confirms he went for a blind a shot.

Why are you even asking the question then? Also in your replay description you wrote:

Block Quote

Why would one take that shot at arty considering the reload of the O-I and the possibility of getting a more juicy target.

Care to explain what you want to insinuate there?

ExclamationMark #12 Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [IDEAD] IDEAD
You see players yolo-ing just to kill arty, and you ask if a player would take that shot?

Dundato #13 Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27529 battles

View PostTheR3dBaron, on 16 August 2019 - 09:54 PM, said:

Tl;dr At 8:25 I blind shoot an O-I on H4 with arty. At 8:13 he blind shoots me on A4. At 5:18 he gets spotted in the line from the previous location. After the game he confirms he went for a blind a shot.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4995827#malinovka-ther3dbaron-m44

Now, by playing arty I get everything I deserve I guess. In my defence, I need to stun 2 vehicles with one shot 7 times for a mission.

He is a good player and I do blind shoot sometimes as well, even at arty, when I'm close by, and I'm certain to have flat terrain and line of sight. With an O-I to shoot outside render range with that reload ... it is possible, as he did it. However, arty is usually in a ditch somewhere and not worth having a go at, especially since you are without a shell if another enemy shows up.

Would you have taken that shot?

THATS FANTASTIC

TheR3dBaron #14 Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:16 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 36725 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

View PostOrkbert, on 17 August 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Why are you even asking the question then? Also in your replay description you wrote:

Care to explain what you want to insinuate there?

I wanted to know if there were mods that could trace the location, because usually arty is at the back of the map in the ditch where he couldn't blindfire me.

Dorander #15 Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:03 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

View PostTheR3dBaron, on 17 August 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

I wanted to know if there were mods that could trace the location, because usually arty is at the back of the map in the ditch where he couldn't blindfire me.

Theoretically? Yes. There's an illegal mod that marks the firing location of artillery (I think by the shell tracer information the client gets but not sure, could simply be an impact angle calculation), there's also an illegal mod that creates a visual marker for spotted tanks out of render. It's not inconceivable to create something that combines these two functions and creates a visual marker for an unspotted artillery based on firing location. That said, I've never seen a mod that actually does this.

The more likely explanation is that he used the in-game direction markers, lined up his gun until the marker was perpendicular to his aiming direction, and pressed fire. H to A is a large distance but if it's unblocked, no real reason not to. You get the same accuracy as if that theoretical mod put a marker, because the game doesn't calculate shell trajectory based on third party programs, it bases it on what's actually there server-side. Such a marker would be a visual aid at best.

BeefCrtinBandit #16 Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7185 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
twas luck

vixu #17 Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45013 battles

View PostTheR3dBaron, on 17 August 2019 - 09:16 PM, said:

in theory, yes. In practice, - nothing prevents a player from taking a blind shot.

I've seen a player taking a shot outside of his view range by aligning minimap location of a spotted arty and some bush on the horizon and taking the arty out. No mods involved.

malachi6 #18 Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 50920 battles

You are asking if this is possible while saying you have done the same thing yourself?  

If you don't take a shot can you land a hit?

Edited by malachi6, 18 August 2019 - 11:01 AM.

TheR3dBaron #19 Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 36725 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

View Postmalachi6, on 18 August 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

You are asking if this is possible while saying you have done the same thing yourself?  

If you don't take a shot can you land a hit?

The point is. Would you take the shot on El Halluf? No, because there is stuff in the way. Normally, on Malinovka, arty sits where there is stuff in the way.

I blind shoot stuff all the time. That's why I hit him. When driving a normal tank and I get hit by arty. I could take a shot in its direction if I have a direct line of sight. If I get hit on El Halluf by arty, I'm not going to take a shot at it, because I except arty to be in the ditch, not before the ditch. In an O-I, I'd rather blind fire a known bush which is closer, than a location 7 squares away, which normally, doesn't have anything in it, as the arty would be 8 squares away in the ditch.

And yes, firing at cap circle in the beginning of the game can be fun. In any case, if you see me driving in arty next time, I don't sit in that bush, fire somewhere else :)

WoT_RU_Doing #20 Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:14 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57782 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

Personally, if I get El Halluf when I'm in a Japanese tier 9/10 heavy, KV-2, or many other DERP tanks, I'll often take a blind shot at the far side of the map while I'm travelling up the heavy tank line to towards the corner. I don't wait to get hit by someone to guide where to aim, but simply lose a shot off in the direction of a common location for arty or TDs. Depending on how fast the rest of the team is moving, I may not even take the time to let the aiming circle close down, I just shoot (no point aiming to carefully if you are aiming to hit something that could be 5m to the left, if it is even there at all). Why do I bother? Because I can....if it misses as usual, no one cares, the first enemies aren't even spotted yet, but IF I hit something, my damage is already going up, and if they get killed, sorry, but that's just hilarious. On some maps, I'll even fire blind at a possible location using the FV215b 183/FV4005 (down the 1 line on Fisherman's bay for example).

As for tanks that are spotted but outside render range, I definitely shoot at them too, but if you do, be sure to check the minimap...if a friendly is approaching the target grid square it's generally not safe to fire. (I may change my view on this now they've removed friendly fire though).

Finally though, while it is extremely satisfying to get a lucky one shot kill near the start of the battle, it can also be frustrating....I've had a small number of battles where I never got to see the dead tank icon for my kill, as the course of the battle never took me to a suitable area of the map....this causes some sort of  calculation error for my OCD tendencies, leaving me a little annoyed for some stupid reason.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users