I don’t want to be a drama queen, but.....

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

TealPanther #1 Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:30 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25899 battles
  • [EWOKS] EWOKS

...for the first time in a long time, my premium account is about to run out and I’m probably not going to renew it.

I don’t want to join the ranks of people raging at Wargaming, but equally, I’m not particularly happy and going quietly seems equally pointless.

So basically, while I still enjoy the game, I’m much less happy with how it’s run.

The YouTuber MarkGFL first drew my attention to the sort of problem I’m talking about when he pointed out that at the same time as Wargaming saying that pref-matchmaking tanks were badly affecting the matchmaker, they were also still selling them.

The same sort of disconnect was shown in the release of the Brit light tanks with talk of “battle ship guns” etc that were proved demonstrably false.

I don’t mind genuine mistakes and missteps by a company who I think is still genuinely invested in their product, but for me I feel that World of Tanks has tipped into simply being a cynical company relying on marketing nonsense and hype rather than quality of product.

It’s certainly not the end of me playing WoT, but I’m just a lot less inclined to part with cash while I feel that the money is going to a marketing spiv rather than an actual game developer.

It’s really not a big deal, and I’m sure no one will miss my money, but hey, it’s how I feel.

Cheers

Schepel #2 Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:58 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 65859 battles
I don't think WG has changed all that much. The game itself could be described as a cynical attempt to make money with a game, any game, from the very start. They more or less stumbled on something that 'worked'. Like any other company, they are in it for the money. The only question you need to answer is: have they got something I am willing to pay for. If yes, all fine and dandy, if no, equally fine and dandy.

SovietBias #3 Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:11 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38420 battles
Now, how is WG going to pay for the Quality Control team that makes sure all these micropatches come bug free ?

PhooBar #4 Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:39 AM

Major

• Player
  • 20483 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSovietBias, on 23 August 2019 - 12:11 AM, said:

Now, how is WG going to pay for the Quality Control team that makes sure all these micropatches come bug free ?

They pay them?

Schepel #5 Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:50 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 65859 battles

View PostPhooBar, on 23 August 2019 - 01:39 AM, said:

They pay them?

Not nearly enough, apparently.

TankkiPoju #6 Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:00 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 23680 battles

I think it best describes WG as a company, how their OTHER games have done. You know, the ones which have been discontinued already or just been dying slowly since launch.

World of Warships is (I guess?) still somewhat popular but it has zero visibility.

World of Warplanes? Lol k.

World of Generals...?

WG tried the same half assed method again because WoT was so pupular. But they completely missed the point, WoT was succesful because "ZOMG TANKS", and not because WoT was actually a good game in any sense.

Ehern #7 Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:04 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21623 battles
  • [DTM] DTM
except wheelies and arties game isnt that bad, just not well balanced

gunslingerXXX #8 Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:05 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12786 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

View PostTealPanther, on 22 August 2019 - 11:30 PM, said:

relying on marketing nonsense and hype rather than quality of product.

Spot on. 

But it's not only WG, it's everywhere.

jack_timber #9 Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:12 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40279 battles
Personally not to interested how WG run their business, be it good, bad or indifferent, all I want to do is shoot tanks and have a bit of fun along the way. WoT ticks both of those boxes so for me it's fine. 

Lagalaza #10 Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9261 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW
I log on, I play battles, I shoot tanks and everything works most of the time. Sometimes RNG loves me, sometimes not. Sometimes the MM loves me, sometimes not (last two days at tier 7 in the T-20 medium, 80% battles top tier or same tier. Tier 7 in the KTC, every battle bottom tier....). They try and sell me stuff and sometimes i buy it, sometimes not. Sometimes I get good teams and sometimes bad. Do I enjoy it, yes, so I play.

Gremlin182 #11 Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:46 AM

General

• Player
  • 57896 battles

WOT still works but the question is does it still work well enough for new players because any game needs a constant supply of new blood.

For me WOWP was never going to work this arena idea works for tanks lets have a tank battle in a 2km area fine.Ok that worked lets have an aerial battle in much the same area.

No sorry for aerial battles I want a map area 10 times the size tanks are doing 50kph aircraft are doing 600 kph.

Never played WOWS but again Naval engagements tended to take place over greater ranges.

WOT is one of the best games of its type.

There have been far better games that simulated aerial combat the formula needs to change to suit the game you are making.

As for the Preferential MM changes well they proposed those and were shot down by the complainers who said probably correctly that they paid money for those tanks precisely because they had limited MM.

If you dislike +2 MM you only have a few alternatives 1 Preff MM tanks 2 Frontline 3 Play tier 9 and 10 only 4 leave the game

Said it several times and Ill keep taking every opportunity to promote the idea.

Let the players themselves remove preferential MM tanks from the game since it is their own decision there can be no complaint.

Try the idea out on one tank if it works repeat for all.

Create a buffed version with standard MM add it to the game but leave the other one in as well.

As an example you now have 2 KV5s in the game KV5 with preferential mm and KV5 B for buffed with standard mm

Some players will switch over immediately others will do so after they compare the 2 in battle.

If done correctly over time the preff MM version numbers will dwindle to the point where they do not affect the MM

You can let players swap from original to buffed version "but not back again" and only the new version is sold in future.

If preff mm tanks are indeed a problem then solve it.

Edited by Gremlin182, 23 August 2019 - 08:51 AM.

kdaag #12 Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

Private

• Player
  • 28311 battles
  • [-GODS] -GODS

I actually have an idea on how to solve Pref MM tanks...

Buffing them and making them into normal tier 8 prem tanks will not work. It's extremely hard to do this in a balanced way that will satisfy existing owners who like myself bought them for their pref MM status. Overbuffing them will not help either.

Just make them into prem tier 9 tanks instead! They will then keep their mm status, be good cash earners and at the same time will only need to be very slightly buffed. It may even be ok for them to be slightly underpowered for their tier as they have premium status. Then "never" sell them again and all the old loyal customers who once bought them will feel entitled and rewarded and be less inclined to complain!

In addition removing them from tier 8 will also have the added benefit to the mm of slightly lowering the number of tier 8 tanks and making the tier 9 slightly higher. The game definitately needs less tier 8s...

MeNoobTank #13 Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:18 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16499 battles
  • [GT_WC] GT_WC

@kdaag Nooo...that will be even worse than removing the preff mm from them...

They will be super bad tier 9 tanks that will face tier 10 tanks and only tier 7 at best, how is that better ?

Maybe I missed your sarcasm, if that I am sorry.

Gremlin182 #14 Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:32 AM

General

• Player
  • 57896 battles

So these vehicles would become tier 9 premiums

8.8cm Pak 43 Jagdtiger, 112, WZ-111, T-34-3, Type 59, FCM 50 t, M6A2E1, T26E4 Super Pershing, KV-5, IS-6 

would we do a similar thing with all the other pref mm tanks at other tiers.

Think my idea works better

8.8cm Pak 43 Jagdtiger, is tricky as the gun is in the name so difficult to give it say a 105 or 128 but that needs to be done in this case.

They already have a model ready to roll the as yet unsold Jagtiger H its got the tier 8 Ferdinand gun model is already in tanks GG

Some rebalances will be easier IS6 can get a gun similar to the IS3a

Others will need more work but if they start with the easy ones they can try out the idea.

Those who want to keep their pref mm tanks can do so they have in fact lost nothing.

Wintermute_1 #15 Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 50005 battles
When you have a tech tree this large, every new tank is a near duplicate of one that already exists, it takes marketing bs to create the impression they are new and different. 

Ceeb #16 Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 32587 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View PostTankkiPoju, on 23 August 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

I think it best describes WG as a company, how their OTHER games have done. You know, the ones which have been discontinued already or just been dying slowly since launch.

World of Warships is (I guess?) still somewhat popular but it has zero visibility.

World of Warplanes? Lol k.

World of Generals...?

WG tried the same half assed method again because WoT was so pupular. But they completely missed the point, WoT was succesful because "ZOMG TANKS", and not because WoT was actually a good game in any sense.

World of Warships is boring as feck, And I'm a Navy guy.... But as a submariner, and the fact there are only two types of Warship, Submarines and Targets.... Might be worth a re-look after they implement them.

Generals,   never heard of it.

Warplanes.   Lol, pure dog crap

As for playing for free.   Its the way to go IMO.

Bordhaw #17 Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14894 battles

View PostTealPanther, on 22 August 2019 - 10:30 PM, said:

...for the first time in a long time, my premium account is about to run out and I’m probably not going to renew it.

I don’t want to join the ranks of people raging at Wargaming, but equally, I’m not particularly happy and going quietly seems equally pointless.

So basically, while I still enjoy the game, I’m much less happy with how it’s run.

The YouTuber MarkGFL first drew my attention to the sort of problem I’m talking about when he pointed out that at the same time as Wargaming saying that pref-matchmaking tanks were badly affecting the matchmaker, they were also still selling them.

The same sort of disconnect was shown in the release of the Brit light tanks with talk of “battle ship guns” etc that were proved demonstrably false.

I don’t mind genuine mistakes and missteps by a company who I think is still genuinely invested in their product, but for me I feel that World of Tanks has tipped into simply being a cynical company relying on marketing nonsense and hype rather than quality of product.

It’s certainly not the end of me playing WoT, but I’m just a lot less inclined to part with cash while I feel that the money is going to a marketing spiv rather than an actual game developer.

It’s really not a big deal, and I’m sure no one will miss my money, but hey, it’s how I feel.

Cheers

Element6 #18 Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:47 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31699 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostWintermute_1, on 23 August 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

When you have a tech tree this large, every new tank is a near duplicate of one that already exists, it takes marketing bs to create the impression they are new and different. 

Yet it seems WG are unable to release any tank without parts of the community suggesting changes to make them more equal to eachother...

Wintermute_1 #19 Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:01 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 50005 battles

View PostElement6, on 24 August 2019 - 09:47 AM, said:

Yet it seems WG are unable to release any tank without parts of the community suggesting changes to make them more equal to eachother...

Thats certainly a factor, demanding everything weak is buffed and everything strong is nerfed just further irons out variety.

crnakoza #20 Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 60100 battles

View PostTankkiPoju, on 23 August 2019 - 07:00 AM, said:

I second this statement. People like tanks, and are willing to suffer through very questionable gameplay decisions to get their daily dose of tanks. Even Wargaming themselves don't seem to realize this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users