• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Lagalaza #1 Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9261 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

Hello people,

Hope you are all having a great day. I am at work but, being self-employed get to muck about on here when I'm supposed to be doing paperwork!!

Enough about my life and on with my query....

Have some credits left after stocking up on consumables and equipment and want to move along on some lines. Bought the IS already. Cannot afford all of the rest so wanted to ask for some input from players who have played the tanks and done the grinds. Which tank would you buy next and why? I've spent two days looking at them, reading about them, watching videos of them in action and don't feel any nearer to choosing.....

JagdPanther II or Ferdinand (purely to get to the JagdTiger)

VK.36.01H (have enough blueprints to unlock the Tiger I pretty quickly but should I wait to see if the talked about German buff happens?)

VK.30.01P (same as above)

O-Ni (unlocked it ages ago but just never went there... am I missing out?)

Churchill VII (have enough free xp and blueprints to skip the Churchill I completely and would love to get to the Caernarvon sometime soon)

Centurion 7/1 (would be my first tier 9 and I like the Cent 1. From what I've read/watched, it's a beauty)

Pershing (would be good for FL grind and I like the look of the M46 Patton that follows. Absoultely love the T-20)

T67 and Hellcat (have enough free xp and blueprints to get both and they are great tanks)

T32 (most say not worth it but I really like the T-29 so would be good to fight at Tier 8 in a similar tank surely?)

OBJ 704 (would be my first Tier 9 and it looks fun)

SU 100M1 (always hard to fight against and a clanmate has had great success with the tier 8 in FL)

T34-85 (best medium line to go down?)

KV-13 (just for giggles as a sort of sideshow fun tank)

KV-3 (is that line even worth the effort at the moment?)

S-51 (do need a decent arty for missions)

My stats aren't great but I am getting much better after a very poor first 5000 battles so any advice/input would be fun to receive. I also thought it might make a nice change to all these "WG is rubbish and I'm quitting" posts.

Anyhow, if you would like to help, please do.    :)

Edited by Lagalaza, 23 August 2019 - 11:49 AM.

barison1 #2 Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 43589 battles

View PostLagalaza, on 23 August 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

VK.36.01H (have enough blueprints to unlock the Tiger I pretty quickly but should I wait to see if the talked about German buff happens?)

Churchill VII (have enough free xp and blueprints to skip the Churchill I completely and would love to get to the Caernarvon sometime soon)

Centurion 7/1 (would be my first tier 9 and I like the Cent 1. From what I've read/watched, it's a beauty)

Pershing (would be good for FL grind and I like the look of the M46 Patton that follows. Absoultely love the T-20)

T67 and Hellcat (have enough free xp and blueprints to get both and they are great tanks)

T32 (most say not worth it but I really like the T-29 so would be good to fight at Tier 8 in a similar tank surely?)

OBJ 704 (would be my first Tier 9 and it looks fun)

SU 100M1 (always hard to fight against and a clanmate has had great success with it in FL)

KV-13 (just for giggles as a sort of sideshow fun tank)

S-51 (do need a decent arty for missions)

would take jp2 over ferdi due to mobility but ferdi might be more forgiving for you as it has somewhat more armor and hp

vk3601h isnt too bad of a support ht but nothing amazing, tiger is pretty decent as a sniper and cheap to run due to high AP pen

vk3001p with 88 is amazing MT, one of the best on its tier, sadly the line stops there as tiger p is pretty garbo

jap HT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

churchill 7 is awful, bp is awful, dont bother i would say. line only starts being good at cearn

centurion7/1 is amazing, deffo worth, cax is kinda downgrade tho

pershing is pretty mediocre but if not many other tanks for FL it might be a decent option

t67 REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

hellcat is pretty good of a TD, is worth it but real unforgiving

t32 is mediocre

obj704 is a pretty good TD which can both snipe and go frontline and trade, do take in account it turns real slow so dont  go alone ever

su100m1 is pretty much a HT TD, pretty forgiving and might be good idea. su101 is the tier 8 which can be used in FL, can be forgiving aswell but in lesser degree. bad gun dep tho

t3485 is amazing, one of best tier6 MT, is deffo worth

kv13 is mediocre, wouldnt bother

kv3 is kinda underrated due to IS but liked it more due to -7 gun dep, not too bad of an idea but kinda dead end of the line, nothing after it being any good

arty REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, murican/french arty would be better for missions

if i could choose 5 i would go with;

t3485, vk3001p, su100m1, cent7/1, obj704

Edited by barison1, 23 August 2019 - 11:48 AM.

__Eric__ #3 Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34650 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLagalaza, on 23 August 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

JagdPanther II or Ferdinand (JPII, because of the mobility

VK.36.01H  save your BP for the TIgerII (to get to E75 faster)

VK.30.01P (Good tank

O-Ni I personallly dont like it

Churchill VII save your BluePrints to skip the BlackPrince

Centurion 7/1 I think its nice

Pershing,  I dont like it

T67 and Hellcat , both are nice

T32  worse T29 in tier 8

OBJ 704 ok td, bit slow

SU 100M1 (nice mobility

T34-85 (I like it

KV-13 useless tank

KV-3 (mweh

S-51 (If you need an arty for missions, go American line

My stats aren't great but I am getting much better........stats are not important. Have fun is!!

Lagalaza #4 Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9261 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

"su101 is the tier 8 which can be used in FL"

Thanks for the correction... will amend original post.:)                 and thanks for the feedback.

TijgernootTank #5 Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:53 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 53525 battles
  • [TOURN] TOURN

My first advice would be not to use any free xp to research a tank , but use the free xp for upgrading module[s] new tank.

-- i would for now forget about jagdtiger

--  vk3601h i would take and stop at tiger1 in that line

-- vk3001p  is ok option , but i would focus other lines first

--  Oni  best to keep missing out

-- churchill ok option to then go for caern is ok tank if u dont mind grind the slow tanks

--  centurion   better focus other lines

--  pershing    not easy to play better focus other lines

--  t67   sure buy  , just grind the hellcat

--  t32  maybe not the best choice for u to focus on

-- obj 704  i think not easy introduction to tier 9 , would not buy as one of first t9 tanks

-- su100m1  could be fun option to try out

--  t3485  buy

-- kv13 dont buy

-- kv3   dont buy

--  s51   good buy for the arty missions

My advise would be to have look on this webpage  --  wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Tanks   , and look up all the tanks there and read the info .

Gruff_ #6 Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21534 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I loved the T32, but it is in a sorry state really needs more pen even a possible rof increase, stick with the T29.

Same with Persing the only goodthng about it are it's looks. Another tank powercrept and forgotten.

Edited by Gruff_, 23 August 2019 - 11:55 AM.

Lagalaza #7 Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9261 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

"stats are not important. Have fun is!!"

I totally agree. To put my statement more clearly, "my stats may show me to be a poor player but I am getting much better and feel able to hold my own in most battles". The stats are a fun part of the game, but that is all they are, just a part.

TankkiPoju #8 Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 23680 battles
T-34-85 line for sure.

Lagalaza #9 Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9261 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View PostTankkiPoju, on 23 August 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

T-34-85 line for sure.

Run out of likes so I'll simply say thanks for the feedback.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #10 Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

View PostLagalaza, on 23 August 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

Eject!

Mothball for now.

A good tier 6 medium in itself with good alpha. It leads to a very good tier 8 heavy, the VK 100.01.

Stop there. A very good a capable tier 7 heavy.

I do love the BP at tier 7 but that's just me. Tier 8, 9 and 10 tanks are excellent hull down heavies with good guns.

Excellent tanks at tier 9,10 and the Pershing isn't half bad. You can elite it and grind your way up to the tier 9 in FL.

At some point these tanks (T32, M103 and the E5) will be looked at. Wait for that to happen for an easy and more enjoyable grind. You can of course grind the T32 in FL for now.

Yep!

Nope, same as the American heavies. Good things come to those who wait. :)

In my opinion a good order would be...

• T-34-85
  • Pershing (FL)
  • British heavies
  • VK 100 line

About the IS, watch some of these videos...

There are more than 15 hours of IS gameplay in 3 or 4 streams on his f2p account. You can't watch all that but it will give you a good idea of what the tank can do under sub-optimal conditions.

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 23 August 2019 - 12:48 PM.

Lagalaza #11 Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9261 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 23 August 2019 - 11:28 AM, said:

In my opinion a good order would be...

• T-34-85
  • Pershing (FL)
  • British heavies
  • VK 100 line

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated. Also, thanks for the IS videos, i'll have a look this afternoon.

Edited by Lagalaza, 23 August 2019 - 01:15 PM.

PowJay #12 Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:09 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 39864 battles

First of all, don't go mad all at once. Using Free XP to upgrade several tanks is better than using loads to skip one or two, IMHO. I have never entirely skipped a grind, although I have used Free XP to prematurely end a particularly painful one.

JPII or Ferdi. I hated the JPII but I did play the Ferdi with the top gun from very early one, which probably helped. My stats in the Ferdinand are not stellar, but it is still in my garage with 268 battles.

VK 3601 H. This was once one of the best mediums at its tier, if not in the game. As a HT, it is still essentially the same tank- if a little slower- but look at what it gets. A short 88mm with relatively unremarkable pen of 150mm, or a long 75mm with not spectacular alpha. It gets matched against the 90mm gun of the M6 (160mm pen), the 100mm of the KV-85 (175mm pen), the 107mm of the T-150 (167 mm pen AND 300 alpha) and the 152mm of the KV-2. Only the French and UK tier VI HTs are worse for pen with the top gun. Neither are popular- for some reason. I would play the VK with either 75mm (to paraphrase Arnie "if it pens, we can kill it") or prepare to use a fair amount of Premium ammo with the 88mm.

The Tiger is a pretty good tank, but not for everyone. I have managed to hold onto a positive win rate in it, but I don't play it often. I did not like the Tiger II and abandoned the line with a fully-upgraded E75.

VK 3001 P. Another German mid-tier tank that has the choice of long 75 and short 88mm. There was nothing to hold my interest here and I sold it Elite after 93 battles and very little in the way of interesting performance. I have got on OK with the Tiger P, but again, I abandoned the line with an upgraded, but not Elite- tier VIII VK 45.02 A

O-Ni. Can't comment. I hated the O-I, sold it and bought the wicked little Type 95 Heavy again. I have never looked at the Japanese HT line again.

I'd rather play the Churchill I again than waste Free XP to skip this. You are going to want and need that Free XP to shorten the grind with the Churchill BP. I have the Caernarvon, but it is not my thing.

Cent 7/1. I own this and have recently fully upgraded it. It takes a LOT to fully upgrade it with tracks, useless first gun upgrade, turret and top gun upgrade before you even consider the engine. I used some Free XP and made the most of bonuses to shorten this grind as much as possible. I also carried- and used- a fair amount of Premium ammo.  Full upgrade came at about 110 battles, but I have hardly played it since.

Pershing. I owned it twice and decided to sell it for good at 200 battles. I believe that I played it quite well- I do honestly believe this- but I just had terrible, terrible battles. If you want to know how popular and well-used the two Pattons are, just consider my current progress on the Valley of the Pattons medal. Almost 24,000 battles at tier VI, VII, VIII, IX and X where I may see one of the Patton variants mentioned. I have just 39/100 kills for this medal.

I made the T32 work to some extent, and I am enjoying the M103, but I plan to go no higher. The T32 was not easy, with the same gun as the T29, but something went right for me and I finished the grind with 172 battles and just under 53% WR. There was nothing for me that would make it a keeper, though.

Object 704. Owned it twice and sold it to get the Object 268, which eventually went the same way. Painful troll gun that bounces off the side of bottom tier LTs when it feels like it (if it even hits) I enjoyed it enough, but sold it at 700 battles with a negative WR and MoE of 57% falling from 1 MoE over time.

SU-100M1. Get it. Play it. Keep it. You may think on selling it as it is not exciting. If that is the case, just look at what you have achieved with it and ask yourself again if you really want to sell it.

T-34-85. Now the best medium at its tier. Keep it even if you are moving on. At tier VI it is eligible for missions and it can do it. I nearly did a bounce mission with it as well (or that may have been the M variant).

KV-13. Played it, Elited it and moved on. Same 85mm gun a tier higher, which is rarely fun. I had a short grind as I had researched the next tank via an alternative route. I had no grounds for keeping it.

KV-3. 175mm pen at tier VII is not great. The armour is certainly not enough to make up for the lack of mobility either. I didn't hate this tank but it did nothing for me. I was going to keep it at least until the crew had first additional skills complete but couldn't stand the pain a moment longer. It is a steady tank- my stats would suggest- but I really didn't have FUN with it.

The ONLY SPGs to consider for missions are the US, IMHO. The problem with Soviet SPGs is the terribly narrow gun arcs that mean that you have to move your hull all the time. The M12 is a [edited] but the M40/43 and M53/55 are all the SPG you could even need. Otherwise I would consider the UK SPGs but you don't get Stun until tier VII.

mjs_89 #13 Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8520 battles
  • [95137] 95137

Just going to comment on what I played (not much).

Not the best out there, but I liked it. Don't be the spearhead and you should be golden. Good gun imo.

Very good tank, I loved it. 268 standard pen on the top gun due to special HESH ammo. Load ~10 HESH/0 HE/rest APCR and you're good. Excellent turret, did the bouncing missions for the Excalibur during the normal grind.

Great guns, slow turret rotation, bad reverse speed. Unlock the T67 and save your BPs, as the grind to the Hellcat is very enjoyable and most likely not long.

WhoCares01 #14 Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21395 battles
A thing to consider between Jagdpanther 2 and Ferdinand is the fact that the Ferdinand already has the same crew layout as Jagdtiger and JpE100, the JP2 lacks the 2nd loader. So for crew training purpose the Ferdi is the better choice.

Lagalaza #15 Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9261 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW
PowJay. Thank-you for your feedback. Really happy to hear you think so highly of the SU-100M1. I am looking forward to it. Chose the ISU line as that was the TOTT at the time but always had an eye on the other route.
12:24 Added after 4 minute

mjs_89 thank-you. Your point about the T-67 and Hellcat is a good one that I will follow. Cent 7/1 does look excellent on Youtube and Wiki does back this up.

WhoCares01.  Thanks for the heads up about the crew.

Balc0ra #16 Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72848 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostLagalaza, on 23 August 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

My stats aren't great but I am getting much better after a very poor first 5000 battles so any advice/input would be fun to receive. I also thought it might make a nice change to all these "WG is rubbish and I'm quitting" posts.

Anyhow, if you would like to help, please do.    :)

Without going into to much details...

JP II vs the Ferdi? Definitely the JP II, but tier 9 is not really worth it in the current meta.

3601 is not worth it. Atm I would not go down it unless WG confirms their Tiger II rework plans

3001 is still a good tier 6 med, but Tiger P is not worth the effort IMO. But out of the two that splits? Only the Maus line is worth anything atm.

O-Ni, are you missing out? Well not really. The tier 7 is great, but the tier 8 tier for tier is terrible vs it. And the Type 4 is not that effective atm.

Churchill VII: If you love to be late, then go for it. Tier 7 is the same. But the tier 8 is worth the suffering with its 3K DPM and good turret.

Centurion 7/1: Not a bad first tier 9. Looks great, still works, not the worst stock grind and HESH.

Pershing: I had fun grinding it in FL. Less so in randoms.

T67 and Hellcat? Well, one is filthy fun, the other is still a good TD despite the loss of speed. 

T32 is the mirror opposite of the Pershing. I hated grinding it in FL, but it worked for randoms. Can't recommend it atm tbh.

OBJ 704: Has the BL-10, armor can troll, fairly mobile. But tbh... not that effective always to be fun.

SU 100M1 is something to look into. Line is overall not bad, and the SU-100M1 is great for the new blocking missions even. And a fairly forgiving tank.

T34-85 is still one of the big dogs as far as tier 6 meds go. But honestly I've not played the tier 7 or the tier 8, as I got that line for free with the 430 move to say anything.

KV-3 line? Nope.

S-51 is good if you want it just for missions. As the stock gun has the reload to farm stuns, and the top gun for damage. 

Long story short? 7/1 & SU-100M1

Negativvv #17 Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13155 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

If you must spend then get the T67 and T29. 

The Russian Medium T34-85 is nice too.

Tiger I is great. Doesn't need buffs, just don't play it like a HT and brawl unless you really have to. 

Meh about the rest.

tank276 #18 Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 53836 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE
Centurion 7/1 for sure.

Negativvv #19 Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13155 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View Posttank276, on 23 August 2019 - 02:29 PM, said:

Centurion 7/1 for sure.

It is good?

As I've just unlocked the E50 which seems to fit a similar role at the tier. E50 is slower and has less pen but it's got way more DPM.

Lagalaza #20 Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9261 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

Balc0ra   Thank you for the extensive response. Does seem as if the T34-85 and the SU-100M1 are the favourites along with Cent 7/1.

Negativv  Thank you. T67 is looking good an cheap too!!

tank276  Whether now or later, I reckon that the 7/1 will be my first Tier 9

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users