Ideas for deployables

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Geoffrey_Ironfist #1 Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:02 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26563 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

I feel that a world inhabited only by tanks is very one-dimensional and that the deployables in Homefront added a new dimension, albeit they were a little too powerful. I would like to suggest here some deployables with minor effects and perhaps you can add your own suggestions.

1. Smoke. Turreted tanks sometimes had smoke dischargers fitted. Firing smoke could improve the camo rating of vehicles within the affected radius by a small value like +3% for some time, like for 30 seconds. It would help heavy tanks in open maps like Prokhorovka, Malinovka, Steppes and the like.

2. Infantry support squads. There could be different levels of these costing different amounts of credits or available to different tiers: grenades for hitting open topped vehicles at close range, mortars for open topped vehicles at long range, demolition charges for a stun or HE effect at close range, magnetic mines for a bigger effect and best of all anti-tank rifles, Panzerfausts, bazookas and the sort. These could be deployed within a radius of control of a vehicle, defined by staying in that particular spot for maybe a minute and would be removed sometime after the area of control is lost. They could especially help passive scouts, SPGs and TDs defend against yoloing enemy light vehicles.

3. Activating the vehicle's machine guns. An optional deployable costing some credits, that would help reduce the risk of the vehicle being damaged by enemy infantry squads at some cost, such as turning the vehicle into a partially open topped vehicle, so it would be slightly more vulnerable e.g to stuns. Activating the machine guns would only be possible for vehicles that had machine guns and could be triggered by entering an enemy area controlled by enemy support infantry and would cause the deployable to be used up, perhaps with a cool-down period, as if the tank had fired its machine guns.

These could be associated with visible effects or not. I am thinking of minor effects, balancing the vulnerability of certain types of vehicles in certain maps and certain situations rather than a big change in gameplay. They should be relatively easy to implement and I feel would add some depth to the one-dimensional tank-only gameplay.

Tommy_Atkins_Teapot #2 Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23478 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Dear Geoffrey,

I would certainly like to see smoke dischargers, like you say, giving an extra value of cammo for a limited period of time.  Who knows it might even lead to co-op play, where lights and fast med's, would lay a screen for heavies moving into position, hopefully reducing the affect of artillery.

Tank HE rounds would achieve most of what the infantry would do.  HE round at open topped Td's for example, but not sledging the idea.

Machine guns, why not, we have those pesky WV's zipping around, so it would be nice to engage them with an automatic 50cal ;)

Regards

Tommy

PayMore #3 Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27070 battles
Developing the game cost money... just add add some flour to your farts if you wanna simulate smoke!

gunslingerXXX #4 Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:39 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12599 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
I'd rather have my game not too complex to be honest. I would prefer to have uncontrollable stuff like weather influences (rain, fog) with lower viewrange as a result. Not added stuff which you can use to get an advantage. 

Geoffrey_Ironfist #5 Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26563 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

View PostPayMore, on 23 August 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

Developing the game cost money... just add add some flour to your farts if you wanna simulate smoke!

Deployables have also cost money to develop. There will always be people who don't like a certain aspect so perhaps deployables can be introduced in a special mode like with Homefront but not necessarily where one is fighting bots. Artillery strikes have been introduced in this way in Frontlines. I just feel that there are humans only in the garage and when you go into battle, humanity vanishes from the picture. Personally I find a world inhabited only by tanks almost annoying, although I like the game otherwise.

Also if you think about it, what makes this game frustrating is that you lose a battle because of your team, e.g. when in a TD and yoloed by a LT that no one is bothering to stop, or having unhelpful scouts so that you end up being ambushed, etc, so giving more versatility to a tank might reduce the effects of unhelpful team mates.

Edited by Geoffrey_Ironfist, 24 August 2019 - 11:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users