Someone remind why artillery is still in the game of World of Tanks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

qpqw #1 Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 587 battles
This account is brand new, I've been playing this game for since 2013. EU - __YouMadBro (INACTIVE), Xbox - qpqw. To this day I've never seen any other game company not listen to their customers/community (thread for another day) or contradict themselves in their own game. Why is a Self Propelled Gun class in a game of tanks artillery isn't a tank..... it's artillery so why have it in the game. Its like playing Fifa but have rugby players on your defense with rugby player stats. You could at least make a whole different game mode for them rather than keeping them in the matchmaking against tanks. It really doesn't make sense to have something in the game that doesn't fit but i guess Wargaming wont ever see it like that, lmao.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34552 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
EA?

Element6 #3 Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32029 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Two of the main reasons are most likely that people like to play them and to add randomness to battles that are in no way balanced for team skill.

If you need reminders I guess you have not paid much attention over the years.

Miepie #4 Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4778 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
...Adding rugby players might actually make Fifa barely interesting enough to try... :sceptic:

Inappropriate_noob #5 Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:34 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 17519 battles

View Postqpqw, on 24 August 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

This account is brand new, I've been playing this game for since 2013. EU - __YouMadBro (INACTIVE), Xbox - qpqw. To this day I've never seen any other game company not listen to their customers/community (thread for another day) or contradict themselves in their own game. Why is a Self Propelled Gun class in a game of tanks artillery isn't a tank..... it's artillery so why have it in the game. Its like playing Fifa but have rugby players on your defense with rugby player stats. You could at least make a whole different game mode for them rather than keeping them in the matchmaking against tanks. It really doesn't make sense to have something in the game that doesn't fit but i guess Wargaming wont ever see it like that, lmao.

Because WG think it is ok, the same company that runs it's sister game has at least made moves to limit CV's in the game, one only on tiers 8 and 10, before you would have two CV's per game, and in tiers 4 and 6, you could have three per side, that was interesting, why WG still insist on more than one or two per side here I do not know?

CV's by the way, are the seafaring equivalent of Arty, sit at the back dish out crap, by now WoT's should have done something about it

Edited by NoobySkooby, 24 August 2019 - 03:37 PM.

ChristOfTheAbyss #6 Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 251 battles

For *edited* to feel like they can do something. This is something that WG has said.

Edited by YoseiGunshi, 24 August 2019 - 06:27 PM.
Language

Gremlin182 #7 Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:39 PM

General

• Player
  • 59347 battles

I guess I could argue why people keep asking the same daft questions but that would be insulting so I won't

Artillery is not a tank that's obvious but then we do not have artillery we have self propelled guns and any reference book on armoured fighting vehicles includes them

Tank is just a generic term.

Strictly speaking a TD is not a tank its a variant of a self propelled gun designed for tank hunting or Bunker busting and infantry support when its termed an assault gun.

They did make a mistake but its not so much adding SPGs its which ones they added.

They do the job that's needed but they are awful to play far to dependent on their team to make them reliable and fun to play.

Some Assault guns with some frontal armour and limited range indirect fire would work better.

That said there is no reasonable way to fix what we have removing them all would be a complete nightmare.

FrantisekBascovansky #8 Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33190 battles

WG will definitely consider to change the game name according to your snowflake soul to bring back the sense and meaning.

"World of Armored Vehicles" should solve your problem with artillery in this game. But then some M56 Skorpion owners with 1mm armor would complain about it, so...

Homer_J #9 Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

Field Marshal

• 32940 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Why is a Self Propelled Gun class in a game of tanks 

To give you something to cry about.:arta:

If you didn't have arty to cry about you would cry about TDs.

So it's for your own good.

PowJay #10 Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40572 battles

"This account is brand new, I've been playing this game for since 2013. "

And yet you can only manage 45.25% win rate even though you infer that you are an experienced player? You have 6 out of 17 tanks with a positive win rate and that is because four of those you have played one battle and one you have two battles.

Do you even begin to wonder why WG would want to listen to someone who singularly fails to demonstrate any true grasp of how this game is played? I don't like football. I can't play it and I don't like watching it, following it, listening to other people talking about it and my opinion is that they should get rid of goalkeepers. How do you feel about that?

I mean: it is called FOOTball, but goalkeepers can touch the ball with their HANDS. :ohmy: How dare they be in the game.

View PostChristOfTheAbyss, on 24 August 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

For mentally challenged to feel like they can do something. This is something that WG has said.

So why don't you post with your real account, rather than one that suggests you are clueless also, or are you really a genius who uses this account to hide that fact?

I won't pretend that I like SPGs- playing them or being on the receiving end- but they are part of the game and constant whining threads- that may well be locked by the time I post this- are not going to achieve anything.  There are 525 pages on the SPG thread. Almost 10,500 replies, but your pointless rant is going to be the one to change this, OP- and friends.

It will probably happen in some form, one day, but another "Why is arty in the game?" thread is not going to change that.

BTW, why start a new account, OP, just so you can complain about things that have been in the game for ever? If you don't like it, I think the answer is to bog off, not start new (bad) accounts.

mateyflip #11 Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37426 battles

Not another 'why Arty' thread!  Wheres a wall so I can start banging my head against it!

Better be careful new builds have very few solid walls :unsure:

Miepie #12 Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4778 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmateyflip, on 24 August 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

Not another 'why Arty' thread!  Wheres a wall so I can start banging my head against it!

Better be careful new builds have very few solid walls :unsure:

All the walls were destroyed by the Mighty Mauerbrecher! :izmena:

Leadfire #13 Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:05 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7913 battles
it's been busy....so, I guess qpranger ran out of likes today.

ChristOfTheAbyss #14 Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 251 battles

View PostPowJay, on 24 August 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

I won't pretend that I like SPGs- playing them or being on the receiving end- but they are part of the game and constant whining threads- that may well be locked by the time I post this- are not going to achieve anything.  There are 525 pages on the SPG thread. Almost 10,500 replies, but your pointless rant is going to be the one to change this, OP- and friends.

It will probably happen in some form, one day, but another "Why is arty in the game?" thread is not going to change that.

Complaining about things that we find bad in this game is only thing we can do. There's no other way WG gonna find out and act on opinioins of players.

As long as arty exists in this game the complains will remain. No amount of closing threads will change it. Silencing never works and often only fuels the fire.

malachi6 #15 Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 50950 battles

It is in the game because WG decided to put it into the game upon release and because of that, they are tied to it. 

Christoftheabyss, assuming people that play arty are mentally challenged is just that.  Just because you say it is so, does not make it so.  Space pixies make people play arty is just as valid a comment.  Ad hominem and argument from ignorance are not a way to be taken seriously or to discuss pretty much any topic.

Edited by malachi6, 24 August 2019 - 05:52 PM.

ExclamationMark #16 Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [IDEAD] IDEAD

Removing arty at this stage in the game is a utopian fantasy, keep on dreaming. 

And I hate to break your delusion that it would make the game better, it wouldn't. Would you like to see the matchmaker completely flooded with tanks that are practically invulnerable when hulldown? Arty is the best counter to those tanks, like it or not. All that would happen if arty was removed is players would start taking more HE, and WoT would further develop into an arcade game of seeing who is the best at slinging HE. It's already coming pretty close to that point as it is. Gone are the days when an IS7 could sit hulldown and be a god, people are just way too quick to load HE nowadays.

Geoffrey_Ironfist #17 Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28355 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

Arty is in the game because we like to play with arty.

Heavy tanks are still in the game for those who like to play with heavy tanks. I wonder why anyone would but there are certain people who do.

Balc0ra #18 Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74451 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

This account is brand new, I've been playing this game for since 2013. EU - __YouMadBro (INACTIVE), Xbox - qpqw. To this day I've never seen any other game company not listen to their customers/community

Because there is more than one group to think about for long term. As there are more than just those on the receiving end. And we all know what did happen to that "other game" that did listen to every single thing the players wanted, and more or less gave them everything and added it over a short time. Inc removing arty. That did not sit well with those that had paid for them. 

spamhamstar #19 Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD

View PostExclamationMark, on 24 August 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

Removing arty at this stage in the game is a utopian fantasy, keep on dreaming. 

And I hate to break your delusion that it would make the game better, it wouldn't. Would you like to see the matchmaker completely flooded with tanks that are practically invulnerable when hulldown? Arty is the best counter to those tanks, like it or not. All that would happen if arty was removed is players would start taking more HE, and WoT would further develop into an arcade game of seeing who is the best at slinging HE. It's already coming pretty close to that point as it is. Gone are the days when an IS7 could sit hulldown and be a god, people are just way too quick to load HE nowadays.

Learning to avoid locations that give your enemy a tactical advantage is a skill.  Being able to counter hulldown tanks, which may well be their only advantage, by just clicking on them is a ridiculous balance argument.  Whats the point in having a hulldown tank if there's upto 3 arty making it pointless.  It's the same argument that ended up with 330 pen Heat at tier x, because armour is tough & now pointless.

Arty usually have close to a 100% HE loadout so are the single biggest problem when it comes to spamming it.  Removing them will therefore make the game more skillfull & less arcadey if we follow your logic.

View PostGeoffrey_Ironfist, on 24 August 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

Arty is in the game because we like to play with arty.

Heavy tanks are still in the game for those who like to play with heavy tanks. I wonder why anyone would but there are certain people who do.

Yet heavy tanks are the most played class, while arty is the least.  Weird.

Edited by spamhamstar, 24 August 2019 - 07:09 PM.

unhappy_bunny #20 Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:13 PM

Colonel

• 20243 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View Postqpqw, on 24 August 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

How many people actually post on the forum? Compared to the number who play the game?

Even the players who do post here are divided on the arty question, so who are WG supposed to listen to? Just the ones who dislike arty? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users