How To: Steel Hunt - A guide to "Active Camping"

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

mjs_89 #1 Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9095 battles
  • [95137] 95137

After some initial problems and bitter losses, I figured out a completely idiot-proof way to constantly gain chevrons in the Steel Hunt mode: "Active Camping".

The basic goal of this strategy is to survive the starting phase up to a point where no chevrons will be lost (14 players left), or ideally to a point where chevrons are gained (10 players left). Since I got a lot of help from this community up until now I decided to give something back and share my findings with all of you. May the forumites be the best Steel Hunters out there!

Early game (20-14):

First, pick a starting location as close to the map border as possible, enemies are everywhere and ideally they won't be coming from all directions.

After spawning, the first order of business is to get some loot. yellow drops (ammunition) are more important than green drops (consumables). Why? Because you can not kill an enemy with the ammo you are given at the start, since everyone can regen health once from the get-go only complete muppets will let you kill them. So, under no circumstances, engage an enemy before you got your first yellow drop. Also, should you get your hands on premium ammo, load it immideately.

You have to be quite active throughout the game (hence the name), drive around the outskirts of the map and look for loot to pick up. Each yellow/green drop is worth 300xp wich you need to level up your tank. Aim to get ~5 drops before the first 6 players die to get your vehicle combat-ready for the later stages of the game. Don't use your radar, it gives away your position to all enemies you spot and you don't want to draw any attention. In case someone else spots you via radar, run. Use your Turbocharger if you have to, but don't engage enemies. If yor sixth sense goes of without you spotting anyone, the enemy is either behind you or to your side. Turbocharge straight ahead and around the nearest building to break their line of sight.

Going for blue drops (Airdrops) is dangerous at this point in the game, only pick them up if they are near your position and the border of the map.

Mid-Game (14-10):

Congratulations, you won't loose chevrons. Yay for you! But the game is far from over. Once 14 players are left, you can play a little riskier, stray from the border wich previously was your best friend. Picking up loot is still priority number one, but if you run into tanks you can choose to fight them now. Try to get behind them or track them, if possible, and aim for the engines/fuel tanks. Noone has fire extinguishers in this mode, fires hurt a lot. Additionally, since drops are more uncommon now, the radar can be used. It shoms yellow and green drops on your map, if no enemies are nearby, grab them. Remember that you still don't want to give your position away, so using the radar in the middle of the map is probably not a good idea. Lurk at the map border until the 10th enemy dies and you will recieve chevrons regardless of the outcome of the battle.

Endgame (10-1):

With your chevron(s) in the bag, you now may stray from this guide and play as aggressive as you wish. Running away is less appealing now, since you basically "won" anyways. Use your radar more often to find enemies, wait until they go dark again and drive towards their position from behind/the side.

If you choose to fight, use everything you got to defeat the enemy. Every resource not used will lessen your chance to survive and will drop along with your corpse. Basically, everything you don't use against the first tank you meet will be gifted to them as part of your drop. And you don't want to reward random players for killing you, right?

On the other hand, you'll recieve every consumable, reserve and piece of ammo your enemie had when they died, so your supplies will be replenished to a degree. Air drops will be more attractive now, as the remaining few players try to gather as many resources as possible for the final fight. Be careful if you go for them, already-loaded enemies may choose to use them as bait to ambush you, using the radar to uncover such ambushes is an option.

The number of chevrons gained goes up the longer you survive, at 10/5/3/1 players for 1/2/3/4 chevrons earned. Each time you land in a better category, kick up your aggression a notch or two.

Tank Choice:

My first pick is the "Red Dawn", our russian competitor. It's strenghts are penetration and speed, wich makes it the best vehicle for this particular strategy. The loss of alpha damage and armor is mostly irrelevant, as you don't aim to fight until you recieved some upgrades wich will up your combat capacity.

The other two tanks are very close imo, with the "Rattlesnake" (US, DPM and Radio) being slightly more useful than the "Flammenschwert" (German, Alpha and armor), purely because the german's downside is low speed - wich is important to get around.

Upgrades:

You can level up 7 times, each time you can choose between 2 uprgades. Here's what I usually pick:

1) Turning speed over mobility on the move.

The first upgrade is rather unimportant, so feel free to pick whatever you prefer.

2) Detection cooldown over detection range.

I mostly use the radar to look for loot in the mid- to endgame. Lower cooldown means more opportunities to find stuff and lower range minimizes the chance of finding enemies. Imo the potential to find more loot in a wider radius is neglible, since I usually don't drive in a straight line, through the map and away from the border.

3) Dynamics over top speed

Going fast is good, don't get me wrong, but you have to start to think ahead from now on. The last fights will be in cramped spaces, better acceleration then outweighs the benefit of higher top speed now.

4) Pen over alpha

1000 damage per shot are useless if you constantly bounce.

5) Hit points over mobility

At this point, you are well into the mid-game. You'll need armor and hp now, also the map is getting smaller and smaller, so mibility loses it's value fast.

By picking hit points you can not go for view range or the derp gun anymore. This is fine, as I said it's getting cramped anyways, so why buff vr?

6) Hit points over rotation speed

Again, hp come bundled with armor, and +25%hp outweighs +20% turret traverse (relative gains).

By picking hp here, you can not mount the auto-loader gun anymore. It's a good option, but the downtime (~15-20s) is to great for a 1-on-1 engagement.

7) Rate of fire over alpha

In the last engagements, tracking and fires become critical. Better RoF will aid you more than high alpha.

Consumables:

1) Turbocharger

Very good, use it early to run away or late to get behind your last enemies.

2) Repair Kit (large):

Use immideately on tracks or fuel tanks while fighting. You don't want to burn and you don't want to get flanked.

3) Recovery:

Use once you drop to ~50% hp, it refills slowly over time. A use may also be justified after a won fight, since you want to go into your next engagement at full capacity, but only if no loot drops are nearby. Loot drops restore a portion of your health btw.

4) Target-Tracking:

Increases gun-handling. Immideately pop one once a fight starts, you want every advantage you can get.

Abilities:

1) Airstrike

Far less useful than it's FL-counterpart, due to the nature of your engagements. Best used on 2 enemies who fight each other.

2) Recovery Zone:

Same as the "Recovery" consumable. The zone is set once you pop it, so not as useful on the move. Works on teammates too.

3) Trap:

Same rules for activation as the Recovery Zone, but this one slows down your enemies. Pop and drive behind them.

4) Smoke Screen:

Completely useless imo. The only way I use it is to pop it somewhere away from me, to lure enemies into thinking I'm elsewhere.

Hope this is helpful for some of you.

Good luck on your hunt, guys!

:honoring:

Edit: This is the result from my last game played. 2 shots fired, one an early snapshot at a tank running away, the other a shot in the last, burning, enemy wich died a second or so after the hit. Note that I found very little drops in this particular round, so my tank was only tier 6 (5 upgrades).

Spoiler

Edited by mjs_89, 26 August 2019 - 09:58 PM.

Fibonachi #2 Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 29276 battles
  • [FREEP] FREEP

Dang it, I was writing the same topic.

To add to your guide, I'd say the German tank is also a good pick since you can more easily win the YOLO encounters that you get in from 20 to 15. For some reason there's always these people that want to kill you at the cost of their own life. We often just both run out of ammo and go our separate ways (if we are both german tanks).

mjs_89 #3 Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9095 battles
  • [95137] 95137

View PostFibonachi, on 26 August 2019 - 09:58 PM, said:

Dang it, I was writing the same topic.

To add to your guide, I'd say the German tank is also a good pick since you can more easily win the YOLO encounters that you get in from 20 to 15. For some reason there's always these people that want to kill you at the cost of their own life. We often just both run out of ammo and go our separate ways (if we are both german tanks).

Valid point, I might further add that ramming is often a good way to finish you last enemy (or keep it tracked), naturally the german is the best for that due to its weight.

Schepel #4 Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 66456 battles
Speed is key if you are unlucky with the red zone. I really wouldn't suggest picking anything over it. If you spam premium ammo, you don't need to pick pen over alpha.

GrannyPanties #5 Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1218 battles
Yep, that sum up what I have been doing. The goal is to be the last tank alive or survive as long as you can. Don't pick a pointless battle if you know you will most likely lose

Negativvv #6 Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:22 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14146 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE
German seems to have low pen until you can climb up the tiers, I like the Rashan one at the mo...

barison1 #7 Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:31 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 44626 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Postmjs_89, on 26 August 2019 - 09:51 PM, said:

4) Pen over alpha

1000 damage per shot are useless if you constantly bounce.

would say the alpha one is better, the pen isnt much worse and pretty good at penning most as yer usually trying to sidehug or encountering alot of low armor still, it has both high alpha which gives 1st shot advantage and more dpm

for german one i would pick the 1k over the 520 as tier8 choice, might be own preference but worked out way better when just able to peek on them over ridges, and pen is the same. russian one the 122mm over the 130mm gun (dpm>alpha)

apart from that a good summary :medal:

Fibonachi #8 Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 29276 battles
  • [FREEP] FREEP

View PostNegativvv, on 26 August 2019 - 10:22 PM, said:

German seems to have low pen until you can climb up the tiers, I like the Rashan one at the mo...

This is a bit deceptive. Russians start with 16mm extra pen (128 vs the German 112). Later the Germans have 200 something, while Russians have 225. So not that much weaker.

View PostGrannyPanties, on 26 August 2019 - 10:15 PM, said:

Yep, that sum up what I have been doing. The goal is to be the last tank alive or survive as long as you can. Don't pick a pointless battle if you know you will most likely lose

I actually won 2 battles by tracking the max lvl IS-3 looking tanks in the red zone with a lighter tank. I had kills, but technically this mode makes it possible to win with 0 kills.

Edited by Fibonachi, 26 August 2019 - 10:57 PM.

mjs_89 #9 Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9095 battles
  • [95137] 95137

View PostFibonachi, on 26 August 2019 - 10:57 PM, said:

...but technically this mode makes it possible to win with 0 kills.

Look in the spoiler... ;)

Fibonachi #10 Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 29276 battles
  • [FREEP] FREEP

View Postmjs_89, on 26 August 2019 - 11:06 PM, said:

Look in the spoiler... ;)

I actually missed that. Nice one.

pallie_the_artillerist #11 Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20304 battles
  • [JBAIT] JBAIT
or just get good and win every second game and level up way faster

Dragos_CS #12 Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:16 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 23249 battles
  • [LGEND] LGEND

Or just platoon and be done in the first day.

The game mode is fun, dont get me wrong, but replay value goes down very quickly as picking anything that isnt the IS3/T10 hybrid at tier 8 with the dpm gun will make you lose the fight at the end unless you get lucky with bad enemies. The unbalance in upgrades and consumables makes the mode very easy to figure out and WG made sure in every mechanical way that engagement ranges are short at best. You pen every shot in the brawl and the guy with better loot wins.

As a first iteration its fine, but the upgrades, mechanics and map need tweaking. 

P.S: Why is the map so foggy and gloomy? Who died? Give us a map we enjoy looking at.

GrannyPanties #13 Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:23 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1218 battles

View PostFibonachi, on 26 August 2019 - 11:57 PM, said:

I actually won 2 battles by tracking the max lvl IS-3 looking tanks in the red zone with a lighter tank. I had kills, but technically this mode makes it possible to win with 0 kills.

I finished top spot with 6 kills once. Other time I did that was pure luck

Negativvv #14 Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:24 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 14146 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

Meh when you're down to the last few tanks its often better to run away than engage in a protracted battle.

As the zone sinks very rapidly, I just won one by speed boosting away to heal and accidentally ran into the safe zone whilst the other two died to the a!ds :trollface:

jack_timber #15 Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41363 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
A good "how to" guide so maybe tonight will give this mode a go....

HaZardeur #16 Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:52 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 37216 battles

Or rig the crap out of solo mode with your clan mates...

Steiner011 #17 Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43627 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB

Well put , OP , +1.

On a personal note , i like to add that in late game , mobility is real life saver , to both escape the red zone and enemies heavier than you. After some 10 games , reached rank 5 and also finished as last one alive ( name of the medal is self explanatory :teethhappy: ;) , as i presume was something like  E50 with autoloader. In last minute , only me and one guy were alive, so i placed my back against the wall in last uncontaminated quadrant, and waited for lumbering monster to fight me.

As the guy didnt show up when even my quadrant became red in last 30 secs , i popped both recovery zone AND healing consumable in a race against time and enemy hitpoints. Turned out he was longer in red zone than me , and i won the game of attrition with approx. 700 hitpoints from 2500 in total.  So  , always have maxed options to heal in the end game.

Edited by Steiner011, 27 August 2019 - 08:57 AM.

zankos_BZH #18 Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:05 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29299 battles

Thx for the guide.

It's a really good one for people coming to WoT recently, could be nice to see a guide including the basics of the game like how to angle and move during 1v1, backstabbing people while they don't look at you (fighting with someone else), how to use hull down to pick long range fight, using bush for camo, aiming at the back of tanks to burn them...

8126Jakobsson #19 Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 81025 battles

View PostHaZardeur, on 27 August 2019 - 08:52 AM, said:

Or rig the crap out of solo mode with your clan mates...

Looked those guys up and received +5 to my national stereotyping skills. Nailed it. 

LordMuffin #20 Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 53499 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Post8126Jakobsson, on 27 August 2019 - 09:06 AM, said:

Looked those guys up and received +5 to my national stereotyping skills. Nailed it. 

Norwegians? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users