• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

WindSplitter1 #1 Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19190 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

Hello,

This is something I've been looking for a lot of time and have not found any reliable information, on how Gatling guns work

Hollywood and video games portray it needing some time to spin up before shooting; the barrels first spin and, after a certain RPM is achieved, it then starts firing. Some even go as far as having the gun barrels spining and only when the trigger is pulled, the gun is fired.

But if my understanding of the mechanism is correct, it is not possible to hold the rounds in the chamber of the barrel about to be fired. So, they would shoot as they spin up. Obviously this still results in a reduced initial RPM but the weapon would still be discharged.

Please, help me understand. Thank you. :)

Edited by WindSplitter1, 27 August 2019 - 09:58 PM.

ypr765prco #2 Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44688 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

https://www.quora.com/How-does-a-minigun-gatling-gun-work

Hope this will help you.

Leadfire #3 Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:28 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7869 battles
The spin up is needed because the barrel spin speed needs to match the loading speed otherwise you run the risk of the bullets being fired into the gun assembly instead of out of the barrels.(that's my simple understanding of it).

WindSplitter1 #4 Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:45 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19190 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View Postypr765prco, on 27 August 2019 - 09:14 PM, said:

View PostLeadfire, on 27 August 2019 - 09:28 PM, said:

The spin up is needed because the barrel spin speed needs to match the loading speed otherwise you run the risk of the bullets being fired into the gun assembly instead of out of the barrels.(that's my simple understanding of it).

Yes, this is why I think it doesn't make sense for a Gatling gun to spin up first and then shoot, outside shooting the first rounds in each barrel.

It would shoot while spinning, ergo, do both at the same time.

But is it one or the other? One can hold fire while the gun barrels are spinning? No, right?

steview162 #5 Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:43 AM

Brigadier

• Clan Diplomat
  • 37736 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said Holywood. 

Aleo #6 Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:30 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 32334 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C

View PostWindSplitter1, on 28 August 2019 - 12:45 AM, said:

Yes, this is why I think it doesn't make sense for a Gatling gun to spin up first and then shoot, outside shooting the first rounds in each barrel.

But is it one or the other? One can hold fire while the gun barrels are spinning? No, right?

The answer is that the ammunition in modern gatling type guns are not released into the gun assembly/ rotor breech until the operating rotationspeed is correct. The gun is driven by a electric motor, not by recoil or gas pressure. So the spin is independent of the actual firing of the gun. 

WindSplitter1 #7 Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19190 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View PostAleo, on 28 August 2019 - 05:30 AM, said:

The answer is that the ammunition in modern gatling type guns are not released into the gun assembly/ rotor breech until the operating rotationspeed is correct. The gun is driven by a electric motor, not by recoil or gas pressure. So the spin is independent of the actual firing of the gun. 

Wooooow... Nice! That's an interesting engineering feat. Thank you! I've been beating my head about it for ages.

Can you supply a source/video, just for the fun of it? Don't get me wrong, please! I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just wanna see it in action. I also design guns. :)

MeetriX #8 Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 24173 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

View PostAleo, on 28 August 2019 - 06:30 AM, said:

USA guns are electronic, pneumatic or hydraulic powered.

Russian variants are gas operated.

https://modernfirear...n-i-drugie-eng/

Edited by MeetriX, 28 August 2019 - 09:00 PM.

Leadfire #9 Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:36 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7869 battles

View PostWindSplitter1, on 27 August 2019 - 10:45 PM, said:

It doesn't work like the old style Gatling guns which were purely mechanical. The modern loading mechanism works at one speed only, so the barrel spin speed has to match.....hence the 'spin up' delay.

Nishi_Kinuyo #10 Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:44 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9181 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

A gatling gun works by rotating the crank which in turn starts rotating the barrels.

An ammo hopper then drops paper cartridges into the barrel from the top, the barrel rotates in a counter-clockwise motion which closes the bolt and in the bottom position the bullet gets fired, and on the upward motion the bolt opens allowing a fresh cartridge to to enter the barrel's chamber.

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 28 August 2019 - 10:44 PM.

SiliconSidewinder #11 Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

General

• Player
  • 29097 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

as some have indicated before:

the rotation for a modern gatling gun is done by a electric motor that accelerates it to the right speed, which actually happenes pretty fast so there isn't really much of a spin up cycle, but you will spin up your gun before you press the fire button.

Imagine it a bit like having the safety off.

as soon as you go into ready to fire mode your barrles will be spinning.

didn't watch but this channel is usually quiet thorugh when explaining the workings of a gun:

Nishi_Kinuyo #12 Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9181 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostSiliconSidewinder, on 29 August 2019 - 07:07 PM, said:

as some have indicated before:

the rotation for a modern gatling gun is done by a electric motor that accelerates it to the right speed, which actually happenes pretty fast so there isn't really much of a spin up cycle, but you will spin up your gun before you press the fire button.

Imagine it a bit like having the safety off.

as soon as you go into ready to fire mode your barrles will be spinning.

Except that rotary machineguns/autocannons from some countries use gas propellant to turn the barrels.

The Russian GShG-7.62 is gas operated; as in, it doesn't have a motor to rotate the barrels.

So those don't have a "spin-up" time since there's nothing there to rotary the barrels without firing bulats.

Bordhaw #13 Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:30 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 15107 battles

View PostWindSplitter1, on 27 August 2019 - 08:58 PM, said:

Hello,

This is something I've been looking for a lot of time and have not found any reliable information, on how Gatling guns work

Hollywood and video games portray it needing some time to spin up before shooting; the barrels first spin and, after a certain RPM is achieved, it then starts firing. Some even go as far as having the gun barrels spining and only when the trigger is pulled, the gun is fired.

But if my understanding of the mechanism is correct, it is not possible to hold the rounds in the chamber of the barrel about to be fired. So, they would shoot as they spin up. Obviously this still results in a reduced initial RPM but the weapon would still be discharged.

Please, help me understand. Thank you. :)

Also tagged with gatling, gun

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users