Steel Hunter - Overall I Like It, How About You?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:55 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30811 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

So I played this game mode for the fist time yesterday being reluctant at first since I'm the old set in my ways stubborn type that generally found other game modes introduced to WoT to be not particularly appealing. Now I'll admit that the only reason I decided to try it at all was the discovery that if gifted decent amounts of bonds.

So, as expected, my first impressions, probably like most, were going to be negative since it was pretty much all new and with something new comes a feeling of being stupid and clueless because I was obviously. New map, new game mode, new strategies to be learned etc, the feeling was going to be negative and like everyone else had the jump on me and new what they were doing but I quickly learned the map and some strategies so I wasn't feeling bad for very long... I'd say by the end of second battle I had figured a lot of stuff out, the map, what works, what's not a smart way to play etc. So after the several battles I played yesterday I must admit I was left feeling pretty happy, I guess I liked it and I'm going to play it more, no doubt about it.

For all the new game modes that were introduced, most all of which I didn't really like much, I was surprised to find I liked this one. It's a survival style game based around the them of another well known and extremely popular game, only with tanks but that works for me there's nothing wrong with a little copy n paste if the offering is something with enough difference and in this case, the difference is we duke it out with tanks, that's good enough for me.

What I liked about it is there is just 3 tank options. Now, it could have been 2, it could have been 8, so long as they were initially about the same, it really doesn't matter and probably that's why I liked it as much as I did. There was no bs MM at play, no OP premium tanks etc. All was fair, all start pretty much the same and it's up to you the player to use your brain to formulate how you are going to go about playing the battle and how you are going to upgrade you tank, there was no pay to win element to this and unfortunately because of that I'm not sure it will be long the game would will last or stay like this since I didn't see how WG were gaining any money from this and feel the next offering, if it comes around again, will sadly be ruined by the usual wallet options that will just remove that level pegging fairness element it currently has.

What I didn't like about it was they appear to allow tooning. For obvious reasons this ruins the fun, you spawn solo along with most others while clearly even just 2 players working as a team and watching each others back will dominate such a mode. It really should be a game mode entirely solo, was no reason to make tooning an option and it doesn't work as a game mode that way, at least imo. Sure, add another variant game mode where it's a platoons vs mode if needs be, so clans and friends can team up and duel but for this particular mode, just solo. Also, some of the controls I found pretty clunky and awkward to work such as upgrading my tank with pressing the control +1 or +2 buttons while also trying to keep momentum and my bearings of everything going on around me but somewhat workable and maybe it's a case of practice makes perfect. Also, there was a lot of other consumable pick up options from air-drops which I found a little clunky to use while trying to do battle at the same time to the point I just ignored most of them since I found trying activate a stun or smoke screen just inhibited me more than helped me and made me more likely to lose the engagement.

Anyway, overall I think I like it, how about you?

8126Jakobsson #2 Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:20 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 81025 battles

Yeah it's not too shabby of a mode. Took me 39 games, which I didn't mind playing, to get all the 5000 bonds and never saw any teaming up. So no complaints here.

Not sure about three tank options though. Was there not only two? German and Russian? :P 

Thornvalley #3 Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 42350 battles
I like it, will take me around 50 games to reach rank 25 due to playing a bit too passively and not winning many matches. Didn't think of the teaming up either, or atleast not noticing it. You need to be somewhat lucky with the spawn so that you don't get immediately squashed by other players. The tank upgrades during battle are also nice, but it feels that the hp/heavy route is way better than the others for the late game, where moving around gets more restricted.

feoffle3 #4 Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12768 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1

View Post8126Jakobsson, on 28 August 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

Yeah it's not too shabby of a mode. Took me 39 games, which I didn't mind playing, to get all the 5000 bonds and never saw any teaming up. So no complaints here.

Not sure about three tank options though. Was there not only two? German and Russian? :P 

how long does a game last?

24doom24 #5 Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8775 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
I liked the sandbox version more.

8126Jakobsson #6 Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:35 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 81025 battles

View Postfeoffle3, on 28 August 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

how long does a game last?

Didn't reflect upon that. Like your regular random, give or take? 

thetopcat #7 Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:41 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 27221 battles
  • [EVITA] EVITA
I like the mode except the fires. Sucks that you can do nothing about it and it often destroys every module in your tank. 

tajj7 #8 Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28465 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Easy grind for bonds but I didn't like the gameplay at all.

• Too much of a rush dependency on upgrades, which then basically decides a fight and encouraged yolo behaviour, if you didn't spawn near lots of stuff to upgrade quickly then it was basically like getting into a +2 random game and having some top tier idiot yolo your tank.

• Combat was all focused around close range brawling, like literally everything discouraged medium to long range combat with the slow shell velocities, the bad gun handling, the map design, the view range design etc. Which then made other build types pretty pointless aside for meme purposes, which is why basically everyone went HP + alpha for most builds. It also made the US tank clearly the worst IMO because it didn't upgrade well in either armour or alpha. It's also funny that WG made a BR mode with tanks that has closer engagement ranges than BR games with soldiers. 

• Too much RNG with the fires and ammo racks etc. you could outplay a guy and then suddenly one lucky shot on the move and you are on fire losing most of your HP, again seem designed to basically make it so anyone could fluke a 1v1 no matter how badly they played. 

• Obviously the rigging was very annoying. 

• The starting low ammo was just silly, if you got an unlucky spawn and got pinned in by several guys you literally couldn't fight you way out however well you played because you barely have enough ammo to kill one tank. 

• Losing 2 Chevrons for being bottom seemed overly harsh to me because any this could be just bad luck of like spawning in a cross-fire and not being able to escape.

• HEAT doing more damage and more pen was silly and meant getting premium rounds was key, again making it more luck based. 

Good rewards, not overly troubling grind, but I think a lot of elements could be done better. 

I think it needs a bigger more open map to open up more tactical options as well, rather than the rat run maze it is. Also why is the map so dark as well? 

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:24 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30811 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

Another element of this game mode I liked and maybe this is just a person opinion is the simplicity of it how it feels like a genuine no bs tank vs tank style battle. Take your typical random battle for example, just look around this forum, players complaining about arty, well there's no arty in the game mode, players complaining about TD's with massive alpha, well there's no TD's in this game mode, Players complaining about dune buggies, well there ain't no cars in this game mode, nor is there some high camo invisible light tank.

What it is, is just 3 basic main battle tanks based around meds and heavies that as the battle progresses we the player get to decide if we want to make our tank more medium tank like or more heavy tank like during the battle as with upgrades based on our own preferences. Really simple, fantastic. In fact, it's removed any edge that a player may gain by either paying or grinding. There is no 6 skill crew in a tank running food and with all the bells and whistles, just 6th sense and a radar which we can either upgrade to cool down faster or scan further, really nice idea and I think it shows you don't need anything much else to have an attractive game. The better and stronger the tanks get is this game mode isn't because you opened your wallet it's just a reflection of how much you risked, how much you explored, a bit of luck and of course how much you used your head.

The closest thing that comes close to arty in this game mode is an airstrike consumable which itself is pretty rare and can only be collected from an air drop to the best of my limited experience... and so far as that goes, it practically does no damage and really only stuns, plus its easily shrugged off and like I said, it's very rare in fact most battles you will never encounter it. 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 28 August 2019 - 02:28 PM.

Gruff_ #10 Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22897 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
6 games not a fan, will likely grind for the credits and bonds etc, I was thinking it would be more of a literal fight one man left arena a bit like destruction derby used to be rather than skulking around the edges finding parking spaces and loot drops to secure position.

TungstenHitman #11 Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:57 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30811 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

View Posttajj7, on 28 August 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

Ya there's definitely gimme upgrades where one option stands head and shoulders about the other, just more suited to this game mode on this map with tanks garnishing this set of attributes. Interestingly though I've always gone with the pen upgrade first since for some reason I can simply not pen the other tank unless it's vs the US options and, since the ammo can be hard to come across and limited, I'd always rather go for making sure I can pen shots with standard AP first, instead of buffing the alpha for a shell that can't reliably pen. Better to reliably deal damage than nothing at all and run out of ammo trying or tanking more damage against an enemy that should have been killed ages ago had I only penned his tank. I certainly upgrade the alpha the second time the option is there though.

A bigger map would be fantastic, many times bigger so that it doesn't feel like we're going encounter each other with every single turn though the radar obviously helps with that and the after burner consumable, I have no gripes about lighting those burners and bailing on a portion of map early on to avoid some clueless trigger happy noob that would otherwise drain me of hp, ammo, prevent me from using that time to collect upgrades or even kill me and lose me a chevy so there are ways around that happening. Also, when we click the radar and notice that an equipment or ammo drop is no longer there, obviously someone collect it so you can react accordingly and either hunt him or avoid. It's not always possible of course. 

Sure, it would make more sense if there was clear advantages to taking a less hp heavy tank build option and now that you mention it I've only ever went with the option that gave me more hp since clearly that makes sense in a relatively fast battle on a small map that shrinks fast it just makes more sense to be a more solid armored tank with more hp since it only ever can end with a single square duel to the death and obviously having better armor and more hp for a close quarters brawl can only ever suit a build like that more so there needs to be good reason to go the other path too, like much better dpm or more alpha. It wouldn't even be solved by giving the lighter tank build option better mobility, view range, accuracy and shell velocity since ultimately there wouldn't ever really be time or enough map space during a battle to implement that build to effectively out play a heavy tank build and by the time a player has a fully upgraded tank of that lighter build, the battle will most likely be in it's final stages with few map squares remaining so it's still just going to be reduced to a close quarters brawling which still makes more sense to go with armor, alpha and hp builds.... even if the upgrades were faster and the map collapsing slower... the map is still heavily a close quarters city design so there still wouldn't really be any "spot n snipe" options for buffed lighter tank build. 

It's very close to being a fun battle mode though, they almost got it right and I think with a few tweaks to all the points outlined by players here, probably could make it a very attractive game mode.

14:04 Added after 7 minute

View Post8126Jakobsson, on 28 August 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

I took on the US option and it was surprisingly competitive too. I found with the US tank your advantage is speed which certainly isn't a factor for the end game battles or the typically close quarters brawling of this game mode but it really was a factor early on where I basically had the superior speed to keep my nose clean from noob engagements and simply collected all the equipment and ammo drops a lot faster than I could with the other nations so what that meant was I had an upgraded tank faster so while typically the weaker tank tier for tier, I had a higher tier tank sooner and had hogged all the ammo and equipment so unlike the other 2 nations, I was actively hunting lower tier tanks with my superior and fully equipped tank and so I found with the US tank I was fighting and killing a lot of tanks early on simply because I had gained all the drops and upgrades sooner with the faster tank and of course, when you kill another tank, you gain even faster upgrades with that killed tank collection thingy you get after a kill(or stealing someone else's kill lol). It wouldn't be my first choice nation because it's initially the weakest and probably stays the weakest tier for tier but it has it advantages, it's riskier but can become a big tank fast if you balls it out and just use that initial speed to evade slower enemy tanks and collect things faster than they can. 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 28 August 2019 - 03:05 PM.

Tankistu #12 Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31218 battles
  • [BOSII] BOSII

I don't like it.

Feels like a mode for meds and I don't like playing meds. It becomes a tedious circling-fest. No variation.

Also annoying: upgrading the tank in-battle, and the fact that your shell selection changes back to default once you upgrade. Often I had premium ammo selected but in the middle of the battle I was surprised to see it was back to normal ammo. 

splash_time #13 Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13532 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I like solo, platoon? Almost impossible to enjoy it.

Second problem is the ammo, it's really low at the beginning, i mean, 8 shoots... 230x8? 1840± so if you miss one or two, u may die in no time...

But overall, i like everything else.

chartus #14 Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 34234 battles
  • [FERKL] FERKL

View Posttajj7, on 28 August 2019 - 02:20 PM, said:

Easy grind for bonds but I didn't like the gameplay at all.

• Too much of a rush dependency on upgrades, which then basically decides a fight and encouraged yolo behaviour, if you didn't spawn near lots of stuff to upgrade quickly then it was basically like getting into a +2 random game and having some top tier idiot yolo your tank.

• Combat was all focused around close range brawling, like literally everything discouraged medium to long range combat with the slow shell velocities, the bad gun handling, the map design, the view range design etc. Which then made other build types pretty pointless aside for meme purposes, which is why basically everyone went HP + alpha for most builds. It also made the US tank clearly the worst IMO because it didn't upgrade well in either armour or alpha. It's also funny that WG made a BR mode with tanks that has closer engagement ranges than BR games with soldiers. 

• Too much RNG with the fires and ammo racks etc. you could outplay a guy and then suddenly one lucky shot on the move and you are on fire losing most of your HP, again seem designed to basically make it so anyone could fluke a 1v1 no matter how badly they played. 

• Obviously the rigging was very annoying. 

• The starting low ammo was just silly, if you got an unlucky spawn and got pinned in by several guys you literally couldn't fight you way out however well you played because you barely have enough ammo to kill one tank. 

• Losing 2 Chevrons for being bottom seemed overly harsh to me because any this could be just bad luck of like spawning in a cross-fire and not being able to escape.

• HEAT doing more damage and more pen was silly and meant getting premium rounds was key, again making it more luck based. 

Good rewards, not overly troubling grind, but I think a lot of elements could be done better. 

I think it needs a bigger more open map to open up more tactical options as well, rather than the rat run maze it is. Also why is the map so dark as well? 

overall i don't like it at all - its just a gambling to spawn at a ammo spot and be lucky with your pens

and losing two chevrons just because bad RNG makes me quit this mode faster then you can say "free bonds"…

LordMuffin #15 Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 53499 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Playing solo was so-so imo.
Kind of just running around, t eying to survive and gain some levels.
Keep away some more, maybe pick up a box etc.

Fighting is not viable early, especially not as American tank.

Then I played some 3-man toon in it. That was a way better experience. You could team up and fight etc much better.

So if you haven't tooned in the mode, you should, it was waaaay more fun imo.

Edited by LordMuffin, 28 August 2019 - 08:32 PM.

gunslingerXXX #16 Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13194 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

Played three battles and I like it! 

Tried to play relatively agressively, fun to drive around and quite exiting. Still don't understand all consumables and stuff, and panicked in the end, but 10th, 4th and 3rd place is not bad for a start. 

Thumbs up WG!

24doom24 #17 Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8775 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
Played a few more battles, teaming shits ruined it already. Not worth wasting time on this gamemode.

snowlywhite #18 Posted 29 August 2019 - 05:07 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26158 battles

very good rewards, mediocre to bad gameplay. I mean, how fun is it to fight at tops 100m distance(and over 50% of the time under 10m) with bad gun handling?

Ok, I get it, even the "less gifted" need their turn to shine. Makes perfect sense marketing wise. But... not really fun. The tanking skills are close to zero.  Heavy tank gameplay; always loved it. Well, guess it's still better than td gameplay :)))

DaddysLittlePrincess #19 Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:08 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29394 battles
  • [_RO] _RO

Nice thing about this mode, it really taught me how to organise my time :) With 45s countdown I can do so much, take a pee, make some coffee, read whole fricking Bible... Seriously, what's the point of 45s countdown? People already complain about 30s in randoms.

I actually think the mode has potential to be fun, but with added traditional WG flavour it's just trash.

• map is too small and too cluttered leading to 90% of fights ending in facehug. It also has too many continous walls. One time I ended up in final square separated from my enemy with giant wall with no possibility to reach him.
  • airdrops should be more dispersed, a lot of times 2-3 drops land basically in the same spot feeding single guy
  • HP as % with no way to change it 
  • physics - little outward slope and you're upside down (especially in Red Dawn) 
  • fire dmg is too big, RNG shouldn't decide that you lose 1v1

MarcoStrapone #20 Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 42487 battles
  • [-BOMB] -BOMB
changed my mind. WG really come with great ideas. even if this was checked and test years ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users