"New player experience"

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

LIL_Veky #1 Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:19 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13726 battles
  • [BTU] BTU

Am I the only one who doesn't really understand all the fuss about this "new player experience"? 

The main things I want to point out is that its overrated. However i can only speak from my own experience and a few other people that i know, so

My point: players who dont want to learn anything wont ever learn anything,and people who are willing will be better. 

I always hear something like, oh this is bad design for new players, that will discourage new player etc etc

My point: i remember when i started playing this game i was 9/10 yrs old and obviously i was pretty bad and didnt really improve on my mistakes, and we had t18s running around at tier 2, and at high tiers we had wt auf e100. Nowadays its agreed that those tanks were op thats why they were removed, but to me it was like, ok, that thing is powerful, move on. When i met is7's turret i didnt cry and whined for days about it, i realized it cant be penned, whatever, move on.

My point: if a player likes the game (like me and  people that i know), they will stick around, easy as that. If somebody is easily annoyed, they wont, easy as that. 

For example i cant really think of a game that is super easy on new players, and games really shouldnt do that cuz it removes all will to get better if everything is catered towards not giving any effort.

I hope this post makes some sense and please let me know what u guys think as well :)

Richthoffen #2 Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

Major

• Player
  • 30046 battles
  • [MS-] MS-
iff I see a new player or one with bad stats I just don't expect miracles from them, sometimes they even surprise and that's all i'm hoping for

Lagalaza #3 Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9261 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

Hi OP,

I think I get your point. If you like the game, no matter how hard it is, you will keep plugging away.

I agree for me but not for everyone. New to the game (just over a year) and nothing would have stopped me playing in the early days, despite how bad I was. First three to four thousand games were a joke. I was appalling. Slowly getting better now but even then, I have plateaus where it gets really frustrating and I cannot seem to improve. Everything seems to regress. Then something enlightens me to a particular aspect of the game and on I go again.

The learning curve is different for different people but those that don't get too frustrated will stick around and those that really like the game will keep coming back, even after a frustarting day/week/month. It shouldn't be super easy or it would be boring, but there is a balance and that is what most people are talking about when they describe something as possibly scaring off new players. That balance point is different for different people. For you and I it is way up there and we will keep coming back almost no matter what. For others that may not be the case. WG has the difficult job of balancing the game for all. People who comment on whether new players will be ok are asking if that balance may be leaning too far one way. Difficult to know.

Cobra6 #4 Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:04 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16517 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostLIL_Veky, on 03 September 2019 - 08:19 AM, said:

My point: if a player likes the game (like me and  people that i know), they will stick around, easy as that. 

While you are mostly right, the problem is that pretty much all the people who will ever find WoT interesting are already playing the game and have been for years.

Currently, WoT pretty much only attracts players that have a casual interest in the game (or no interest but they got something for free to try it) and they will just as easily leave if the low tier experience is garbage. If that happens, there simply won't be many new players in this game.

Cobra 6

Gnaal #5 Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:22 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10936 battles
While there are many changes since the early days which help new players there is also one rather huge difference which makes the game harder ; the ratio of experienced players which one will encounter.

____Green____ #6 Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24444 battles
  • [LVPRK] LVPRK

View PostCobra6, on 03 September 2019 - 11:04 AM, said:

While you are mostly right, the problem is that pretty much all the people who will ever find WoT interesting are already playing the game and have been for years.

Currently, WoT pretty much only attracts players that have a casual interest in the game (or no interest but they got something for free to try it) and they will just as easily leave if the low tier experience is garbage. If that happens, there simply won't be many new players in this game.

Cobra 6

IDK, mostly most boring part for me is "same shat every day", players use same path, same route, same bushes. Nothing new, one new map every two years. New techtree or buff  you can't rely on because it might be nerfed in a while.

The game economy is strange, huge number of premium tanks is better than basic tech tree tanks, premium acc is must have feature above tier VIII. 

So imagine how hard is to get in this shat for new players? 

And now lets stick it toghether.

New player join this project. (sunday gamer)

1) In first battles he face some bots

2) Then in 1hr he get techtree tier IV tank for free.

3) Then he got tier V premium for free.

4) In 4 days after registration he plays against +30k battle pedobears and pedounicums at tier III-VI

5) Then he realises that welcome 7d premium is ended and credits is a huge problem

6) First purchase of premium, because he think, that I he gets next tier tank, he will be able to do some dmg, carry battles and etc....

7) In one month (daily x2 and then premium 5x5x) he hit his first tier VIII, got lot of rage from "exp players" 

8) He returns to tier III-VI and struggles with 30k battle pedobears  or pedounicums again and gets "game exp" or he plays VII and UP and slowly gains real game exp.

9) He gain some ingame friends, platoon mates or clan and gets information how this game really works.

10) Then he finds a XVM mod and finally he understand that every player see his stats and performance, now he understand why they call him red noob.

11) He came to forum, wrote some leaving message and guys like us post his battle count like: "Īn memoriam: 2356"

12) In one week there is 2475 on counter.

To get in this game from absolute "zero" takes a long, long time and patience. You need to communicate with other players and learn step by step. An active clan with experienced and communicative members is must have at the beginning.

Small edit:

I suggest WG to change game concept for new players. Let players chose one of 4 game styles. Heavy armor, flanker, support, scout and after short intro let him chose his first techtree with boosted "grinding". These fuor lines can be most iconic:

Heavy armor - maus or is7 (for me these are most iconic)

Flanker - one between two most iconic MT lines

Support - one of two iconic TD lines

Scout - one of two iconic LT

When player choosed his playstile he takes only one techtree for example HT IS7. He receives a set of missios for every tier. Every mission have video manuals how to block dmg, take a correct sidescrape position on corners, hull down positions, holding on track, weak point aiming, how to use repair kit or medkit correctly. Even such a small adjusments like penetration indicator on sights and mouse sensitivity can be added in missions to give information. At tier VI and VIII there can be some SH battle missions and at tier X advance, war games, tier X SH missions to give max information to new player about all game modes. When he complete set of missions, he insta get next tier and next set of missions. To prevent 1 day tier X wg can make mission limit per day. 

Edited by ____Green____, 03 September 2019 - 12:27 PM.

splash_time #7 Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12847 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLIL_Veky, on 03 September 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

Am I the only one who doesn't really understand all the fuss about this "new player experience"? 

The main things I want to point out is that its overrated. However i can only speak from my own experience and a few other people that i know, so

My point: players who dont want to learn anything wont ever learn anything,and people who are willing will be better. 

I always hear something like, oh this is bad design for new players, that will discourage new player etc etc

My point: i remember when i started playing this game i was 9/10 yrs old and obviously i was pretty bad and didnt really improve on my mistakes, and we had t18s running around at tier 2, and at high tiers we had wt auf e100. Nowadays its agreed that those tanks were op thats why they were removed, but to me it was like, ok, that thing is powerful, move on. When i met is7's turret i didnt cry and whined for days about it, i realized it cant be penned, whatever, move on.

My point: if a player likes the game (like me and  people that i know), they will stick around, easy as that. If somebody is easily annoyed, they wont, easy as that. 

For example i cant really think of a game that is super easy on new players, and games really shouldnt do that cuz it removes all will to get better if everything is catered towards not giving any effort.

I hope this post makes some sense and please let me know what u guys think as well :)

My very first lesson that i learned in WoT was taught to me by FV 4005.

It was like, me going to finish a tank with my modest Tiger II, and suddenly FV get spotted by me, me like "lol, what's this toilet turret *boom* i got one shooted" 

Since then, i researched about every single tank that i i didn't know anything about it. :teethhappy:

Edit: E100 was my first line, i was soo noob back then, and didn't even understand what i was doing, just shooting tanks. :D

Edited by splash_time, 03 September 2019 - 12:32 PM.

malachi6 #8 Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 50920 battles
Personally, I find the biggest issue for new players is the clubbers with 3k battles and more at tier 1, using full equipment and multi-skill crews.  I think at tier 1 and 2 WG should either give everybody only 100% crews and limit or give everybody equipment.  Arm the seals make and more people may continue playing.

LIL_Veky #9 Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13726 battles
  • [BTU] BTU

View Postmalachi6, on 03 September 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

Personally, I find the biggest issue for new players is the clubbers with 3k battles and more at tier 1, using full equipment and multi-skill crews.  I think at tier 1 and 2 WG should either give everybody only 100% crews and limit or give everybody equipment.  Arm the seals make and more people may continue playing.

only 3k? :teethhappy:

splash_time #10 Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12847 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post____Green____, on 03 September 2019 - 02:20 PM, said:

IDK, mostly most boring part for me is "same shat every day", players use same path, same route, same bushes. Nothing new, one new map every two years. New techtree or buff  you can't rely on because it might be nerfed in a while.

The game economy is strange, huge number of premium tanks is better than basic tech tree tanks, premium acc is must have feature above tier VIII. 

So imagine how hard is to get in this shat for new players? 

And now lets stick it toghether.

New player join this project. (sunday gamer)

1) In first battles he face some bots

2) Then in 1hr he get techtree tier IV tank for free.

3) Then he got tier V premium for free.

4) In 4 days after registration he plays against +30k battle pedobears and pedounicums at tier III-VI

5) Then he realises that welcome 7d premium is ended and credits is a huge problem

6) First purchase of premium, because he think, that I he gets next tier tank, he will be able to do some dmg, carry battles and etc....

7) In one month (daily x2 and then premium 5x5x) he hit his first tier VIII, got lot of rage from "exp players" 

8) He returns to tier III-VI and struggles with 30k battle pedobears  or pedounicums again and gets "game exp" or he plays VII and UP and slowly gains real game exp.

9) He gain some ingame friends, platoon mates or clan and gets information how this game really works.

10) Then he finds a XVM mod and finally he understand that every player see his stats and performance, now he understand why they call him red noob.

11) He came to forum, wrote some leaving message and guys like us post his battle count like: "Īn memoriam: 2356"

12) In one week there is 2475 on counter.

To get in this game from absolute "zero" takes a long, long time and patience. You need to communicate with other players and learn step by step. An active clan with experienced and communicative members is must have at the beginning.

Small edit:

I suggest WG to change game concept for new players. Let players chose one of 4 game styles. Heavy armor, flanker, support, scout and after short intro let him chose his first techtree with boosted "grinding". These fuor lines can be most iconic:

Heavy armor - maus or is7 (for me these are most iconic)

Flanker - one between two most iconic MT lines

Support - one of two iconic TD lines

Scout - one of two iconic LT

When player choosed his playstile he takes only one techtree for example HT IS7. He receives a set of missios for every tier. Every mission have video manuals how to block dmg, take a correct sidescrape position on corners, hull down positions, holding on track, weak point aiming, how to use repair kit or medkit correctly. Even such a small adjusments like penetration indicator on sights and mouse sensitivity can be added in missions to give information. At tier VI and VIII there can be some SH battle missions and at tier X advance, war games, tier X SH missions to give max information to new player about all game modes. When he complete set of missions, he insta get next tier and next set of missions. To prevent 1 day tier X wg can make mission limit per day. 

I thought about this a while ago, but it doesn't work, instead of video manuals, why not try to upload a replay of a good player each week, that got an Ace of the player's related tank. 

This will really help players, first when i invited my friends to WoT, i taught them all what i knew, sidescraping or how to spot and etc, anyway, when they learned, they didn't quit and actually they are enjoying WoT right now.

Players just need the right help.

Edited by splash_time, 03 September 2019 - 12:52 PM.

Fizzymagic #11 Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 48368 battles
  • [-O-H-] -O-H-
I wish someone had told me of the importance of a fully trained crew when i started. I went on a "grind as many lines as you can" with untrained crew thinking higher tier, better tank. Wasted a few thousand games with stock crews!

splash_time #12 Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12847 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostFizzymagic, on 03 September 2019 - 03:30 PM, said:

I wish someone had told me of the importance of a fully trained crew when i started. I went on a "grind as many lines as you can" with untrained crew thinking higher tier, better tank. Wasted a few thousand games with stock crews!

It won't work anyway, T1s are light, so, you have to change them until a specific tier.

And then you'll lose 25% of their training percent.

WhoCares01 #13 Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21395 battles

View Postsplash_time, on 03 September 2019 - 01:21 PM, said:

It won't work anyway, T1s are light, so, you have to change them until a specific tier.

And then you'll lose 25% of their training percent.

… and it's just a 2-or 3-men crew, while later you need up to 6, and "specializations" may change as well...

____Green____ #14 Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24444 battles
  • [LVPRK] LVPRK

View PostFizzymagic, on 03 September 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

Information about crew, training, retraining, skills, perks is still a unsolved mystery for huge number of wot people. 

One of answers is - when players buy or get premium tank - i comes with crew. There is no in-game information that you have compatible crew from other tanks. Ok, if compatible crew members are in the barracks they can be selected from the list but if they are in the tank then they do not appear in the list.

WG  can create an automatic notification system that the player had access to a crew or individual crew members who could be transferred to a premium tank without penalty.

When buying a new tank from tech tree add extra option: "show available crew members" next to "buy with crew"

It requires a simple understanding of the game and the game process, but we see how difficult it is for them to create basic things like a warehouse, a shop or in-game notification system. :)

Edited by ____Green____, 03 September 2019 - 02:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users