Tips n track for arty players

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

PayMore #1 Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27442 battles

I've played some 5k matches with arty over my time in WOT, and therefor have some experience but wanna improve more. I've allso noticed that is less and less arty players in matches, so im starting this thread so we can share experience and maybe motivate more to play arty,

Things I can share is:

-I zoom in on tanks and look for gun marks, and try to hit as much as I can. Because 2-3 marked tank could be decisve in matches. If you use XVM is easier.

- Allways aim for clan rewards tanks, and mission tanks.

-dont shoot on stunned target, wait for it to go away

-splash corners, may players use their med/repair kit items- hit them later within 90 secs

-focus on target thats have use their meds/repair items

- If you have xvm focus on the best players/highest vn8. 

This is some tricks, share if you have others! :)

FrantisekBascovansky #2 Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29675 battles

View PostPayMore, on 06 September 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

I've played some 5k matches with arty over my time in WOT, and therefor have some experience but wanna improve more. I've allso noticed that is less and less arty players in matches, so im starting this thread so we can share experience and maybe motivate more to play arty,

Things I can share is:

-I zoom in on tanks and look for gun marks, and try to hit as much as I can. Because 2-3 marked tank could be decisve in matches. If you use XVM is easier. wrong, focus on most easy targets at the time (camping, paper armors, lit ones)

- Allways aim for clan rewards tanks, and mission tanks. wrong

-dont shoot on stunned target, wait for it to go away this is actually good advice, after the last arty nerf

-splash corners, may players use their med/repair kit items- hit them later within 90 secs only if there's no better target

-focus on target thats have use their meds/repair items wrong

- If you have xvm focus on the best players/highest vn8. again, wrong

..and of course, don't do counter battery at the expense of your DPM

Edited by FrantisekBascovansky, 06 September 2019 - 08:00 PM.

Bigtime_Alarm #3 Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21518 battles

Or in reality

- shoot the only target that is spotted (if there is even one)

- If you get anywhere near you are lucky

- no stun or detrack lasts as long as your reload

- wherever your gun is pointed there are no spotted targets

- If you move your aim the spotted targets vanish before your aim circle shrinks and targets appear where you were aiming before but if you keep aiming at the same area they stay invisible forever

- if you fire the target moves even if it was static the whole time you aimed (but it was luck not a reload counter honest)

Blubba #4 Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 60147 battles
Use the 'SP' part ffs....

Artick_ #5 Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:07 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 30786 battles
  • [LGEND] LGEND

Things I can share is:

-I zoom in on tanks and look for gun marks, and try to hit as much as I can. Because 2-3 marked tank could be decisve in matches. If you use XVM is easier.

-splash corners, may players use their med/repair kit items- hit them later within 90 secs

Pls quit. Wanna improve? Play a Heavy tank and get 3 arty in a Prohorovka game, then come back and write here your feelings

#you can hit players that already have stun , you will get 50% assist

#play with gold, if you have money

#play without using 3d View ( G ) i found that i can hit closer with that , cuz on 3d view your reticle is a bit higher than the actual point is.

samuelx43a #6 Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26605 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Things I can share is:

actually, don't focus the most dangerous player.First, focus the most dangerous tank

take this situation.

Tank A which is a unicum in a light, moving where you have your reticle nearby, but is going at full speed. Tanks B&C are two heavy tank bobs, but are threatening to crush your flank.

by your definition, I would be going for the light tank!

My targeting list goes as follows:

-when I first start, I always pre aim for relevant positions (for example in glacier, I always pre aim where there is the route to the carrier as I know that 99% of the time there is always a tank trying to go up there, or the famous heavy tank corner in westfield, or centre of fisherman's bay.

-if my shot has missed or I have not fired yet because the target got away, I then direct my attention to anything that is spotted. I usuallly go for slow targets or if the ocasion presents itself, a juicy low armoured target. 

This does change if my arty has a fast reload, where if I can get away with, I take the ocasional potshots at lights or quick targets

After this is mostly the same tactic. fire at anything that is spotted and you think it can be hit.

There are things that I will always prioritise though:

-light that is zooming incredibly near our cap and could potentially be going for me.

-a still light or anything that is still really.

-unarmoured targets

-targets that are getting close and are winning a flank

-groups of 2+ tanks very close together.

I could think of more, but I think you get the gist with this

NUKLEAR_SLUG #7 Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:38 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34085 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Remember you have an engine. 

Wintermute_1 #8 Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:47 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 50005 battles

View PostArtick_, on 06 September 2019 - 10:07 PM, said:

Pls quit. Wanna improve? Play a Heavy tank and get 3 arty in a Prohorovka game, then come back and write here your feelings

He's played 5000 more games in Heavies than in Arty and about 3000 more games in Heavies than you have so I'm sure he's far more familiar with your own scenario than you are. 

NekoPuffer_PPP #9 Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:23 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 34123 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC
WG, if you still don't think there's enough reason to ban XVM (showing in-game stats during battle)...

Edited by NekoPuffer_PPP, 07 September 2019 - 01:24 AM.

peregrine #10 Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:14 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 63400 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

-I zoom in on tanks and look for gun marks, and try to hit as much as I can. Because 2-3 marked tank could be decisive in matches. If you use XVM is easier.

Just no.

Look for target that influence the battle. That hull down tank that holds up your 5 tanks? Shoot it.

The auto loader almost reloaded starting to push it. Shoot it.

Otherwise look for the target with the highest potential damage and most reliable shot.

- Always aim for clan rewards tanks, and mission tanks.

No. See (1).

-don't shoot on stunned target, wait for it to go away

Somewhat true. But depends entirely on the amount of allied arties and the amount of available targets. When you don't fire your gun you don't do damage either.

Yes.

-focus on target that have used their meds/repair items

Yes. 

Absolutely not. Your goal is to do damage and remove guns from the game. If you have easier shots on another tank and it will die sooner, shoot it! Because then the "best player" has to fight alone.

ChristOfTheAbyss #11 Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 251 battles
Yayyy, griefing! Clearly what is problem with this player base.

spamhamstar #12 Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:42 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD
OP forgot to mention that whatever you do, don't ever use the sticky arty thread to discuss arty.

r00barb #13 Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles
OP's bait stinks so much that I'm disappointed in everyone who's upset by it. :facepalm:

jack_timber #14 Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:19 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40279 battles

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 06 September 2019 - 10:38 PM, said:

Remember you have an engine. 

One of the best bits of advice ...

And USE minimap.

View Postspamhamstar, on 07 September 2019 - 07:42 AM, said:

OP forgot to mention that whatever you do, don't ever use the sticky arty thread to discuss arty.

To true full of wingers and whiners with discussions stuck in an endless loop of nonsense.... 

Irisviel_Einzbern #15 Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:24 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11871 battles
this thread belongs to  r/woosh

Bordhaw #16 Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:02 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14894 battles

View Postr00barb, on 07 September 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

OP's bait stinks so much that I'm disappointed in everyone who's upset by it. :facepalm:

I guess some people never learn

PayMore #17 Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27442 battles

View Postr00barb, on 07 September 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

Arty is 1/5 of vehicle types in this game, and I like to play arty! So its normal for me to make a positive post/thread about them. You are may have negative experience with them, and get emotional and upset when you se a post about and use a simple accusation against the "arty community" and call us trolls. 

It is a maginitude of hate posts about arty on this forum, and arty player are bullied alot, but WG stands with us since they have not removed arty. So learn to live with it, and dont be forum stalins!.  Btw All I wish from them is that they make a tier 8 prem arty like the tier 5 arty but with greater stun area. They can keep spotting distance and reload time. 

Edited by PayMore, 07 September 2019 - 11:11 AM.

spamhamstar #18 Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:26 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD

View PostPayMore, on 07 September 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

Arty is 1/5 of vehicle types in this game, and I like to play arty! So its normal for me to make a positive post/thread about them. You are may have negative experience with them, and get emotional and upset when you se a post about and use a simple accusation against the "arty community" and call us trolls. 

It is a maginitude of hate posts about arty on this forum, and arty player are bullied alot, but WG stands with us since they have not removed arty. So learn to live with it, and dont be forum stalins!.  Btw All I wish from them is that they make a tier 8 prem arty like the tier 5 arty but with greater stun area. They can keep spotting distance and reload time. 

I'm not sure why you'd think giving arty players bad advice constitues being positive, or why you consider it normal to create a new thread when WG have provided a sticky thread for exactly the type of post you seem to think you made.

WG have consistently failed to make a tier 8 prem arty, guess you'll have to learn to live with that while also attempting not to bully non-arty players.

P.S nobody called you a troll, but if the hat fits...

View Postjack_timber, on 07 September 2019 - 08:19 AM, said:

To true full of wingers and whiners with discussions stuck in an endless loop of nonsense.... 

True that.  I see you were the last person to post there pointing out that despite arty not supposed to be a damage dealer anymore it can still 1 shot tanks.  Probably still needs nerfed some more then?

samuelx43a #19 Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26605 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I almost forgot something, I just have it so automated that I forget that not everyone does it.

RELOCATE AFTER EVERY SHOT!!!

I'm being totally serious. with this simple technique of just moving a couple metres, you will evade 99% of the ocasional arty shot. The other 1% is obv the rng that the arty class has, amplified due to its accuracy.

I can remember that the very few times I was counter batteried is because I did not move on time or I stayed still like an idiot.

this habit of mine sometimes even happens when there is no arty lol, but usually there is where you can change position

N_Sask_R #20 Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15330 battles

hit that "thing" most struggle to pen!  and you know that one in that spot that is hard to dig out from behind its rock but its spotting half your team? ya that one...hit it!   don't forget those open top models, drop a shell inside the hull and make them spill their tea :)    oh and please don't be that arty that sits idle waiting for someone to spot that tank you know eventually will be there while your other flank falls and someone drives up and shoots you...rather not the best thing to do.

(when I saw the topic for this thread I was half expecting to read "just go drown yourself")

PS: we need more threads involving premium arty for all nations and hey, throw us cheap gold rounds! (maybe guided anti tank missiles just to keep it realistic at high tier?)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users