Win rate

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

shikaka9 #21 Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 73820 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
dunno how many gold you shoot, but oviously you need to shoot more... or learn about game, but its not popular way

Lagalaza #22 Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11924 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View PostStinkyStonky, on 10 September 2019 - 03:14 PM, said:

Looking at your stats https://wot-life.com/eu/player/Lagalaza-556611547/

Your 7 and 30 day WR is very similar to your account average, so your WR isn't actually "dropping like a stone".

Your WN8 is on the up, which is great.

Your 7 and 30 day average tier is a lot higher than your account average, so this would explain why your WR hasn't gone up despite you improving as a player (WN8).  You are playing harder games (higher tier).

One complaint I hear a lot (from clan mates) is that they lose games where they do really well.

This is actually easily explained. 

When your team has lots of unicorns, you are likely to win but do little damage (the unicorns hoover it all up before ordinary player get a chance).

When you are one of the better players in your team it is likely that you will be a major dealer of damage (your team mates being too useless to steal it from you), but if you are just an average-ish player and yet one of the best on your team then the superior skill of the opponents results in them winning.

Add in a bit of self pity and confirmation/observer bias and it's easy to convince yourself that the game is rigged to make you lose whenever you have a good game (which it sort of is, but not for the sinister reason many think).

Thats a pretty solid explanation and it is something I've noticed. When I do well we often lose!! My winrate has been ok I guess for the last few months but it has levelled off after a drop to 47.9 from 48.8 at 5000 battles. I just can't seem to nudge it back in the right direction and the point of the post was to ask people what they think is the reason for that.

Don't worry, I don't have a tin-foil hat and understand the mechanics of random. My ego isn't so big that I think the game is rigged against me... :teethhappy:

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback.

16:43 Added after 1 minute

View Postshikaka9, on 10 September 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

dunno how many gold you shoot, but oviously you need to shoot more... or learn about game, but its not popular way

Happy to shoot gold and to try to learn. I'll wean myself off it as I get better!!

Edited by Lagalaza, 10 September 2019 - 05:43 PM.

jabster #23 Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12790 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostLagalaza, on 10 September 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

Thats a pretty solid explanation and it is something I've noticed. When I do well we often lose!! My winrate has been ok I guess for the last few months but it has levelled off after a drop to 47.9 from 48.8 at 5000 battles. I just can't seem to nudge it back in the right direction and the point of the post was to ask people what they think is the reason for that.

Don't worry, I don't have a tin-foil hat and understand the mechanics of random. My ego isn't so big that I think the game is rigged against me... :teethhappy:

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback.

16:43 Added after 1 minute

Happy to shoot gold and to try to learn. I'll wean myself off it as I get better!!

As others have said get some replays up and have you tried platooning via the forumites channel, password play4fun?

Lagalaza #24 Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11924 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View Postjabster, on 10 September 2019 - 05:00 PM, said:

As others have said get some replays up and have you tried platooning via the forumites channel, password play4fun?

Posted five replays in the middle of the first page of this post. All feedback appreciated. Is the forumites channel on Discord?

Edited by Lagalaza, 10 September 2019 - 06:33 PM.

JocMeister #25 Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:14 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28148 battles

View PostLagalaza, on 10 September 2019 - 06:33 PM, said:

Posted five replays in the middle of the first page of this post. All feedback appreciated. Is the forumites channel on Discord?

Its ingame. Password is play4fun.

I´ll start looking at the replays now. Might not have time to watch them all tonight though. But I will get back to you :)

gunslingerXXX #26 Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:51 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13577 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

If you are grinding stock tanks, especially at tiers higher than you normally play, your winrate will drop. Even more so if you attemt to grind some xp over a x3 x4 or x5 weekend.

Solution, play elited tanks. (If you are interested in WR that is)

Edited by gunslingerXXX, 10 September 2019 - 07:54 PM.

Lagalaza #27 Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11924 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 10 September 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

If you are grinding stock tanks, especially at tiers higher than you normally play, your winrate will drop. Even more so if you attemt to grind some xp over a x3 x4 or x5 weekend.

Solution, play elited tanks. (If you are interested in WR that is)

I learnt that lesson early on. I now don't grind from stock. All tanks must have at least the middle gun and top turret before i'll play it. I play the tanks below until I have enough free exp.

Stats and winrate all interest me. I like to see how i'm doing and want to get better. Winrate is bothering me as it shows that i am maybe not contributing to the team as i could or should.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Lagalaza, 10 September 2019 - 08:09 PM.

splash_time #28 Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14368 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLagalaza, on 10 September 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

Hi all,

I will get straight to the point.... Win rate. Mine is falling like a stone for the last three thousand battles. It seems that even though my WN8, WoT Performance Rating, Noobmeter rating, avg Damage, Damage ratio and kill ratio are all on the up, my winrate is plummeting. It's getting lower than a snakes belly in a wheel rut. Why? Am i cursed? Does the MM have it in for me? Is the RNG against me? I don't think so as all the performance related stats are improving greatly. So what am I doing that is so wrong when it comes to helping to win battles?

A great example of this would be my performance in the Hellcat since I had all top modules...747 avg damage (565 is the average for the player base), 1161 WN8 (958 is the average for the player base) but.... 40.6% winrate. It's only 32 battles but is symptematic of my issue.

All feedback welcome and any tips greatly appreciated.

I don't know any specific advice to help you.

But i know this, don't play tanks that you can't perform well in them, but play tanks that you like to play, e.g my account, i like to play my T8 CAX, my WR started to increase since i started playing it, and it did effected my whole experience, I'm learning quit good things.

And try to carry games, because it effect you WR a lot! I mean, sometimes i carry lost matchs in T8, and instead of losing that match and WR, i learn new tricks, and i gain WR.

Beat regards to you, and gl. :)

JocMeister #29 Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:13 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28148 battles

Watched the replays. Always interesting to see someone else play. There were some good and some bad. Generally speaking you seem to have a decent understanding on where to go and whatnot, But there is a lot of things to improve. 

First game, T29 Highway.

Bottom tier on Highway..not a very good map for a T29. You went city, I would have gone the MT line to try and find some kind of hulldown play. That is mostly a matter of taste though. You were incredibly aggressive here in the city. moving completely unsupported in the open against an IS3 and a VK75. You somehow managed to survive that through luck and the VK being a horrible, horrible player. Your side was open to the enemy base and any TDs there would have wrecked you. Now you only had arta shooting at you. After you cleaned the city you move into the open despite being 100% spotted by the VK. Arty kills you. Your team was way stronger and easy win anyway.

You need to play attention to the map a lot more. And what your team are doing and where they are moving. In this situation hanging back a taking shots of opportunity is perfectly fine. 

Second game. M10 Tier 5 TD, Fjords.

You take the right position. You were extremely lucky the the AT2 didn´t spot you when you shot him without any cover at all. You were completely in the open. Complete ROFLOSTOMP. Nothing you could have done there. Your team was garbage.

Third game, T20 Prok.

Absolute dream MM for you. Top tier on Prok, This game you threw though and was easily winnable. When top tier in a situation like this you have to help your team winning and you didn´t. You decided to go hill despite only a lone Skoda was in the middle to spot. He was killed very early but you still stay on hill doing nothing despite no one being able to spot the middle. IMO you should have been there to spot for your team and not go hill to snipe. That might be a matter of taste though. But on the hill you make a mistake. I think you try to spot? But you are too far from the bush to spot through it. You are very passive here and doesn´t do anything until the French HT move up and start spotting stuff. Your team is melting and you finally start moving towards the CAP. You completely ignore the KV-2 until its too late and he derps you for 900 HP and you die.

IMO this was by far your worst performance of the replays. As a top tier T20 on Prok you should have easily have ended the game with 2-3k assist. You ended with 5. I don´t know what setup you have but I have 443m viewrange on the T20 with a 2 skill crew. It has extremely good VR for its tier. Viewrange is life and always try to max it out. Always. It may sound harsh but that loss was 100% your fault as you did nothing to help your team. You cant be passive like that when top tier. You are to work your [edited]off to help your team. You should probably watch some tutorials on how the the spotting mechanics work on WoT. They are the most important thing in the game to understand and know.

Fourth game. Steppes, Skorpion G.

Another extremely good map and MM for you. I think your play was reasonable going sniper shelf although I never play the Skorp as a TD but rather as a MT. That being said nothing is in front of you spotting so you wont get any targets, despite that you stay after the missed shots on the LT. After you kill the LT on the 3rd shot you don´t pull back although you should realize you were spotted. You take a shot for it. When you are spotted for the 2nd time you just pull back 20 meters and stay there. Arty hits you for 500....always expect the clickerbots to hunt you. Move, move move. After this you play very strangely. You sit still for almost a min then start driving back and fourth. You finally decide to go with the HTs. Not a good play. You stick your right track out and don´t see the Emil I on the top right of your screen driving up. He even stops and takes aim before killing you.

You played very indecisively here, sitting still for long periods of time and generally doing nothing. That is not a very good way to play the game. You should have realized that you couldn´t get anything done there and moved to another position. At least you could have blind fired the enemy sniper shelf. Next time pay attention to the map. There was no on you team that could have spotted anything for you to shoot at. When that happens move position. 

Fifth game. Airfield T-150.

Again you are extremely indecisive. Granted Airfield is a garbage map and especially so with 2 enemy M44s. That being said you have to at least TRY to do something. You spend way too much time in sniperview in this game and you arn´t paying any attention to the minimap at all. You basically do nothing for 5 mins until they enemy pushes the underside which you don´t notice until the Type 64 starts shooting you from behind.

You should have realized very quickly you wern´t getting anything done and moved away to try and do something else. I would have tried to push the underside just like the enemy did. 

Sixth game. Pantera, bottom tier Malinovka.

You move to the MT/Snipershelf. Okay. You are then shot by the Proggetto and Bulldog. Are you playing without 6th sense on tier 8 MT? Don´t do that. If you have grinded to tier 8 you should have at least a 2 skill crew by now and 6th sense is the absolutely first thing you should pick. Either retrain a commander with 6th sense or buy a crew book. You again do nothing for a long period of time until you move to the 0 line. IMO that is bad play. What are you going to do against a ISM, 705 and 257 frontally? You then move completely into the open and shoots at them getting spotted and shot in return. You back off until unspotted and try to find a shot on the 257. Its a stupid tank and doesn´t have the front wheel weakspot you are looking for. You could have penned the upperplate at the angle you had though. But you spend so much time in the sniperview and not looking at the minimap that you dont notice the ISM has moved up and kills you.

To sum it up somewhat:

Read up on the spotting mechanics. You have to know them by heart. Also sort out your crewskills,

Stop playing higher tiers for a while. I think you are suffering from "trying too hard" right now.

Stop looking at stats. If you have to just do it once per month.

You need to work on your teamplay in general and start thinking more on how to help your team.

The advice I always give to improve as a player is to play the T-34-85 and try to 2 mark it. Its a great allround tank is a perfect trainer. Not much armor but good mobility and a very good gun. It will teach you to use speed and positions and will force you to pay attention to the minimap. By trying to 2-mark it will force you to start paying attention to assist damage and staying alive. The WR will come with higher damage and assist.

Good luck!

Lagalaza #30 Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11924 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View PostJocMeister, on 10 September 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

Watched the replays. Always interesting to see someone else play. There were some good and some bad. Generally speaking you seem to have a decent understanding on where to go and whatnot, But there is a lot of things to improve. 

First game, T29 Highway.

Bottom tier on Highway..not a very good map for a T29. You went city, I would have gone the MT line to try and find some kind of hulldown play. That is mostly a matter of taste though. You were incredibly aggressive here in the city. moving completely unsupported in the open against an IS3 and a VK75. You somehow managed to survive that through luck and the VK being a horrible, horrible player. Your side was open to the enemy base and any TDs there would have wrecked you. Now you only had arta shooting at you. After you cleaned the city you move into the open despite being 100% spotted by the VK. Arty kills you. Your team was way stronger and easy win anyway.

You need to play attention to the map a lot more. And what your team are doing and where they are moving. In this situation hanging back a taking shots of opportunity is perfectly fine. 

Second game. M10 Tier 5 TD, Fjords.

You take the right position. You were extremely lucky the the AT2 didn´t spot you when you shot him without any cover at all. You were completely in the open. Complete ROFLOSTOMP. Nothing you could have done there. Your team was garbage.

Third game, T20 Prok.

Absolute dream MM for you. Top tier on Prok, This game you threw though and was easily winnable. When top tier in a situation like this you have to help your team winning and you didn´t. You decided to go hill despite only a lone Skoda was in the middle to spot. He was killed very early but you still stay on hill doing nothing despite no one being able to spot the middle. IMO you should have been there to spot for your team and not go hill to snipe. That might be a matter of taste though. But on the hill you make a mistake. I think you try to spot? But you are too far from the bush to spot through it. You are very passive here and doesn´t do anything until the French HT move up and start spotting stuff. Your team is melting and you finally start moving towards the CAP. You completely ignore the KV-2 until its too late and he derps you for 900 HP and you die.

IMO this was by far your worst performance of the replays. As a top tier T20 on Prok you should have easily have ended the game with 2-3k assist. You ended with 5. I don´t know what setup you have but I have 443m viewrange on the T20 with a 2 skill crew. It has extremely good VR for its tier. Viewrange is life and always try to max it out. Always. It may sound harsh but that loss was 100% your fault as you did nothing to help your team. You cant be passive like that when top tier. You are to work your [edited]off to help your team. You should probably watch some tutorials on how the the spotting mechanics work on WoT. They are the most important thing in the game to understand and know.

Fourth game. Steppes, Skorpion G.

Another extremely good map and MM for you. I think your play was reasonable going sniper shelf although I never play the Skorp as a TD but rather as a MT. That being said nothing is in front of you spotting so you wont get any targets, despite that you stay after the missed shots on the LT. After you kill the LT on the 3rd shot you don´t pull back although you should realize you were spotted. You take a shot for it. When you are spotted for the 2nd time you just pull back 20 meters and stay there. Arty hits you for 500....always expect the clickerbots to hunt you. Move, move move. After this you play very strangely. You sit still for almost a min then start driving back and fourth. You finally decide to go with the HTs. Not a good play. You stick your right track out and don´t see the Emil I on the top right of your screen driving up. He even stops and takes aim before killing you.

You played very indecisively here, sitting still for long periods of time and generally doing nothing. That is not a very good way to play the game. You should have realized that you couldn´t get anything done there and moved to another position. At least you could have blind fired the enemy sniper shelf. Next time pay attention to the map. There was no on you team that could have spotted anything for you to shoot at. When that happens move position. 

Fifth game. Airfield T-150.

Again you are extremely indecisive. Granted Airfield is a garbage map and especially so with 2 enemy M44s. That being said you have to at least TRY to do something. You spend way too much time in sniperview in this game and you arn´t paying any attention to the minimap at all. You basically do nothing for 5 mins until they enemy pushes the underside which you don´t notice until the Type 64 starts shooting you from behind.

You should have realized very quickly you wern´t getting anything done and moved away to try and do something else. I would have tried to push the underside just like the enemy did. 

Sixth game. Pantera, bottom tier Malinovka.

You move to the MT/Snipershelf. Okay. You are then shot by the Proggetto and Bulldog. Are you playing without 6th sense on tier 8 MT? Don´t do that. If you have grinded to tier 8 you should have at least a 2 skill crew by now and 6th sense is the absolutely first thing you should pick. Either retrain a commander with 6th sense or buy a crew book. You again do nothing for a long period of time until you move to the 0 line. IMO that is bad play. What are you going to do against a ISM, 705 and 257 frontally? You then move completely into the open and shoots at them getting spotted and shot in return. You back off until unspotted and try to find a shot on the 257. Its a stupid tank and doesn´t have the front wheel weakspot you are looking for. You could have penned the upperplate at the angle you had though. But you spend so much time in the sniperview and not looking at the minimap that you dont notice the ISM has moved up and kills you.

To sum it up somewhat:

Read up on the spotting mechanics. You have to know them by heart. Also sort out your crewskills,

Stop playing higher tiers for a while. I think you are suffering from "trying too hard" right now.

Stop looking at stats. If you have to just do it once per month.

You need to work on your teamplay in general and start thinking more on how to help your team.

The advice I always give to improve as a player is to play the T-34-85 and try to 2 mark it. Its a great allround tank is a perfect trainer. Not much armor but good mobility and a very good gun. It will teach you to use speed and positions and will force you to pay attention to the minimap. By trying to 2-mark it will force you to start paying attention to assist damage and staying alive. The WR will come with higher damage and assist.

Good luck!

Wow. Thanks. I was expecting a couple of lines saying do this do that, don't do this and don't do that. This was hugely in depth and above and beyond the call. Thank-you. I will go back and look at the replays to see exactly what you are talking about. I just picked them at random and don't know what they show other than which tank they are. Do remember that feeling of indecision and not really knowing what to do.

Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated.

Balc0ra #31 Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74936 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostLagalaza, on 10 September 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

Posted... help appreciated.

Long post, so bear with me.

Now I've seen all of them, and notice a few common themes if you will. Now some you would have lost regardless I suspect. Now I've just gone by where you went and for simular situations later. And not with what you should have done, as that has already been pointed out by others.

Know what you are afraid of:

In the T-150 the issue did seem to be not knowing what to fear. As in you knew arty was aiming there, you knew their meds had pushed up the middle right, and one of their HT's on the left. On the map you could see the other HT's on the other side. And you were not spotted looking out at their TD hill. So nothing there I suspect. But yet you did seem... hesitant to move vs anything and stayed put. Thus arty smacked you several times, and you got flank fired. Guess my point is. That if you fear arty more for instance vs the targets upfront. Move up, take a hit from the Cromwell and take him out, and get arty safe and move to help the others. Vs staying and getting hit by both if you see what I mean. As staying put, only lost you more HP, and thus you die with only 1 shot. And if everything scares you, move back and try a different route to help your team more.

Play like your always spotted:

I did notice you lacked 6th sense on the Pantera. And early on you went to a typical support medium spot. But as you don't know if you were spotted going up crossing the open that close to their line. Wait, stay behind for a few before you move up. No point getting up there until your scout is ready to light up their hill. And you got punished for it instantly by losing half your HP 30 seconds in. Also when firing later, don't wait until you get hit. Just back off instantly if you lack 6th sense. Then clip guns turn to greed and HP loss.

Look at the map and figure out where you can help:

On the T67 and Skorpion, you went to the typical TD spots. But did not move from it to help vs the main enemy push. Thus the damage you did was late game when they pushed around, or vs that one target that did cross. If you don't see action for a bit, see where you can move to help out your team. The main fight was not far away in the Skorpion fight. But they were on the low ground behind a hill 1 lane down so you could not hit them until they pushed past it. Now to be fair, I suspect you would still have lost the T67 game. But you could have gotten a bit more damage.

Don't be afraid to blind fire a bit:

In the Skorpion match and the T-150 match you could fire on the TD hill. Even with HE just to see if there is a massive splash. If there is none, you know there are targets there. Or just hit the center point of the TD bush like on airfield and see if hits the hill behind it or not. If not... something is there.

Take note of where you team is:

T29 you were in a +2 game and stayed behind the rest. No problem there. As your fist spot did cover the KV-5 if he got flanked. But then you left it and pushed vs two HT's alone. An IS-3 and a King Tiger, taking a position that could be covered by their TD's too, ending that push early. But the thing to note here is that you did block the corner for the S1 behind you to assist, or the T95 a bit later. So you and the IS-3 just did trades vs each other. Then you backed off at an angle. So he could stay behind the building vs your TD guns and still hit you, and again his TD support if he had any. But still you pulled the IS-3 away and let the KV-5 bully the King Tiger vs both, so he could then kill the IS-3 for you when you had 10% HP left. But you might have gotten out there with more HP if the S1 could help. As he looked that way a few times. But your hull blocked the shots.

Be agressive once you know where their top tiers are:

T20 game you went hill. Nothing unusual about that. But top tier with a great MM. And their top tiers was spotted in the middle, inc their top tier med. Meaning there is not much to stop your 90mm on that hill. Yet... you decided to stay put and wait for help. And once you took hill you stayed in a support role for a bit long I suspect, tho you did punish a HT for it.

Repair kit usage: 

Just a little side note. Nothing big really. But you had a large repair kit on the Skorpion. You used it instantly when you got spotted, and got hit instantly again to be de-tracked to take more damage. Personally, I don't like to use it until I know I'm safe, or until the track goes. And have it on 5. As if you have a small repair kit, that's a double 5 press to instantly get the track up.

Edited by Balc0ra, 10 September 2019 - 10:01 PM.

Lagalaza #32 Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11924 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View PostBalc0ra, on 10 September 2019 - 08:47 PM, said:

Long post, so bear with me.

Now I've seen all of them, and notice a few common themes if you will. Now some you would have lost regardless I suspect. Now I've just gone by where you went and for simular situations later. And not with what you should have done, as that has already been pointed out by others.

Know what you are afraid of:

In the T-150 the issue did seem to be not knowing what to fear. As in you knew arty was aiming there, you knew their meds had pushed up the middle right, and one of their HT's on the left. On the map you could see the other HT's on the other side. And you were not spotted looking out at their TD hill. So nothing there I suspect. But yet you did seem... hesitant to move vs anything and stayed put. Thus arty smacked you several times, and you got flank fired. Guess my point is. That if you fear arty more for instance vs the targets upfront. Move up, take a hit from the Cromwell and take him out, and get arty safe and move to help the others. Vs staying and getting hit by both if you see what I mean. As staying put, only lost you more HP, and thus you die with only 1 shot. And if everything scares you, move back and try a different route to help your team more.

Play like your always spotted:

I did notice you lacked 6th sense on the Pantera. And early on you went to a typical support medium spot. But as you don't know if you were spotted going up crossing the open that close to their line. Wait, stay behind for a few before you move up. No point getting up there until your scout is ready to light up their hill. And you got punished for it instantly by losing half your HP 30 seconds in. Also when firing later, don't wait until you get hit. Just back off instantly if you lack 6th sense. Then clip guns turn to greed and HP loss.

Look at the map and figure out where you can help:

On the T67 and Skorpion, you went to the typical TD spots. But did not move from it to help vs the main enemy push. Thus the damage you did was late game when they pushed around, or vs that one target that did cross. If you don't see action for a bit, see where you can move to help out your team. The main fight was not far away in the Skorpion fight. But they were on the low ground behind a hill 1 lane down so you could not hit them until they pushed past it. Now to be fair, I suspect you would still have lost the T67 game. But you could have gotten a bit more damage.

Don't be afraid to blind fire a bit:

In the Skorpion match and the T-150 match you could fire on the TD hill. Even with HE just to see if there is a massive splash. If there is none, you know there are targets there. Or just hit the center point of the TD bush like on airfield and see if hits the hill behind it or not. If not... something is there.

Take note of where you team is:

T29 you were in a +2 game and stayed behind the rest. No problem there. As your fist spot did cover the KV-5 if he got flanked. But then you left it and pushed vs two HT's alone. An IS-3 and a King Tiger, taking a position that could be covered by their TD's too, ending that push early. But the thing to note here is that you did block the corner for the S1 behind you to assist, or the T95 a bit later. So you and the IS-3 just did trades vs each other. Then you backed off at an angle. So he could stay behind the building vs your TD guns and still hit you, and again his TD support if he had any. But still you pulled the IS-3 away and let the KV-5 bully the King Tiger vs both, so he could then kill the IS-3 for you when you had 10% HP left. But you might have gotten out there with more HP if the S1 could help. As he looked that way a few times. But your hull blocked the shots.

Be agressive once you know where their top tiers are:

T20 game you went hill. Nothing unusual about that. But top tier with a great MM. And their top tiers was spotted in the middle, inc their top tier med. Meaning there is not much to stop your 90mm on that hill. Yet... you decided to stay put and wait for help. And once you took hill you stayed in a support role for a bit long I suspect, tho you did punish a HT for it.

Repair kit usage: 

Just a little side note. Nothing big really. But you had a large repair kit on the Skorpion. You used it instantly when you got spotted, and got hit instantly again to be de-tracked to take more damage. Personally, I don't like to use it until I know I'm safe, or until the track goes. And have it on 5. As if you have a small repair kit, that's a double 5 press to instantly get the track up.

Thanks. All great advice. Much appreciated and yet again, over and above the call. Hesitancy seems to be a common theme in my gameplay.

Edited by Lagalaza, 10 September 2019 - 10:47 PM.

Evilier_than_Skeletor #33 Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21488 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
There seems to be a recurring problem that if an enemy pops up on your screen, you absolutely have to stop to shoot at it. Even if it means throwing your full hp tank away for a single shot.

Lagalaza #34 Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:33 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11924 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 11 September 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

There seems to be a recurring problem that if an enemy pops up on your screen, you absolutely have to stop to shoot at it. Even if it means throwing your full hp tank away for a single shot.

"Choose your targets wisely grasshopper". You are not wrong there. Sitting back and thinking "why did I shoot at that tank? Now I'm spotted and dead", is a situation with a depressingly regular occurence in my world... many a "doh" moment.

Hamsterkicker #35 Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39228 battles
  • [KWAAK] KWAAK

Dear Lagalaza,

Nice to see that you have moved up from the Newcomers' forum and are still hanging in there..

By now you know that WOT is an unforgiving game with a steep learning curve and the higher you climb the ladder the more difficult it will be. 

When reading through the comments and looking at the replays and the very constructive feedback already given I think you really need to look for a clan that plays regular Tier 6 and/or Tier 8 Strongholds. Although your stats aren't perfect at least you have most of the tanks that would normally be requested by a clan commander for use as the main force like T3485M, Cromwell or the Defender.. I doubt they will let you play lights or Tier 8 meds but lets start positive. By playing Tier 6 SH and listening very well to the commander you will gain a lot of knowledge in terms of positioning, when to attack, when to retreat, what are the strong positions on the map, how to play as support, how to focus fire etc.  This will help you to improve your overall gameplay a lot.  If they have regular training evenings it is even better. 

The alternative really is to play a lot with an experienced platoon player. Not an unicum as the skill gap is too wide, but more like your current clan commander and just play the support role.

Keep it up, m8..

Lagalaza #36 Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11924 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View PostHamsterkicker, on 11 September 2019 - 09:41 AM, said:

Dear Lagalaza,

Nice to see that you have moved up from the Newcomers' forum and are still hanging in there..

By now you know that WOT is an unforgiving game with a steep learning curve and the higher you climb the ladder the more difficult it will be. 

When reading through the comments and looking at the replays and the very constructive feedback already given I think you really need to look for a clan that plays regular Tier 6 and/or Tier 8 Strongholds. Although your stats aren't perfect at least you have most of the tanks that would normally be requested by a clan commander for use as the main force like T3485M, Cromwell or the Defender.. I doubt they will let you play lights or Tier 8 meds but lets start positive. By playing Tier 6 SH and listening very well to the commander you will gain a lot of knowledge in terms of positioning, when to attack, when to retreat, what are the strong positions on the map, how to play as support, how to focus fire etc.  This will help you to improve your overall gameplay a lot.  If they have regular training evenings it is even better. 

The alternative really is to play a lot with an experienced platoon player. Not an unicum as the skill gap is too wide, but more like your current clan commander and just play the support role.

Keep it up, m8..

Hello Hamsterkicker,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm still hanging in there, enjoying the game, striving to improve and trying to contribute more.

I've thought about changing clans and trying to find one that is more active. Trouble is, I have made some good friends in D-ANG and don't want to leave. Not really learning anything playing with them but they are good people and I enjoy their company on line. Have to give that one some serious thought.

I know what you mean about playing with unicums. Had a FAME clan member on my team in a random yesterday. Died early ( me, suicide rush on purpose? never! ) and then followed the unicum round the battlefield. Unbelievable skill. The situational awareness and knowledge was great to see in action. We won.

Happy hunting,

Laga

splash_time #37 Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14368 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHamsterkicker, on 11 September 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

Dear Lagalaza,

Keep it up, m8..

I may consider helping him in a platoon. :)

Add me in game, and I'll try to help you when I'm online. ;)

NUKLEAR_SLUG #38 Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:20 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35288 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

Watched the replays and I'll just add a couple thoughts in addition since others have given very good in depth posts.

Pantera: That forward position is good, but it's probably not the best place for you to be without 6th sense at the moment because it's too easy to get caught by a janky spot from something and the first you'll know about it is when you get nailed. You'll be better taking a more ranged support role where you can be confident of not being accidentally spotted until your commander is up to speed, but meantime, if you fire assume you were seen. You made yourself a slightly inviting arty traget there as well. Arty often preaims that slope as there is usually guaranteed to be stuff there and when you pulled back down the slope after being spotted you stopped while you were still detected. An arty would have seen you stop and would happily take a blind shot on that position. Try to keep maneuvering unpredictably until you go dark as it makes a for less inviting shot if it's not certain where you are. The move on the 705 was a little careless, you didn't need to pull right, it got you spotted by the bush gap. He was sat exposed on the hill and you could have just gone to the forward bush next to the FV and nailed him from there.

Skorpion: I get the impression you were rushing your shots a bit, especially on the LT which you missed twice early on and later the Emil when he poked the ridge. You were under no real pressure, take your time. I'm going to disagree with Balc0ra on your use of the repair kit. You were hit and tracked by an Emil, that's a potential two more shots incoming so in my opinion it was the correct decision to use it and attempt to escape. Yes, you got clipped again, but it was a non-damaging track and taking a single hit 167 from the Bulldog was preferable to a potential further 800 damage from the Emil. Same mistake with the arty, you moved back and then just sat there. You got away with it with the Pantera but this time arty was paying attention. Latter end of the game you looked like you weren't sure where to go and opted to defend east side, I think you should have fallen back and helped west personally as you had no real targets. Others might disagree.

T67: Watch your ranges, that AT2 was way to close to be firing on without bush cover. You were lucky he had a terrible crew. But otherwise, yeah, that team was tragic. I particularly enjoyed the two Luchs who decided to contest the heavy corner. :)

T20: You made a good push for the hill and... and then did nothing with it. You should have poked the bushes to spot anything coming towards you because otherwise it would have been in your face before you knew about it. Nice blind on the OI. You were a little slow moving down from the hill and getting in behind their arty and when you did you sat right up on top the rail line whilst you were shooting them. Better to go right over the top and be safe down in the dip. A little unlucky with the KV2 but it would have been better to go for a track shot as he was coming over the ridge as you had no kill shot there.

T29: Absolutely terrible trades by that IS3, you owned him hard. You didn't have any back up tho, you were the frontline. Doesn't usually pay to be the frontline when you're the bottom tier.

T150: I think this can be summed up by two things. Firstly you didn't seem to have a plan. Secondly you sat in the hottest arty zone on the entire map. :)

Just a couple general observations. I think you have your sniper zoom cranked up WAAAAY too high. 8x seems to be your default and for close up work that's just problematic. It's particularly noticeable on the T150 game where you're fighting around that central area and when you scope in you keep having have to adjust to get the reticle on target. 11:40 for instance when the Cromwell jabs you it's very obvious when you track around and scope in that you're way off and are having to hunt around to work out where you are looking to move the reticle to the corner he poked on. My default is 4x, and for close work, 2x is more than enough. 8x is for long range and very rarely more than that. You might want to have a play with your setting and mouse speeds in gun/sniper modes.

Edited by NUKLEAR_SLUG, 11 September 2019 - 01:21 PM.

Lagalaza #39 Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11924 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 11 September 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

Watched the replays and I'll just add a couple thoughts in addition since others have given very good in depth posts.

Pantera: That forward position is good, but it's probably not the best place for you to be without 6th sense at the moment because it's too easy to get caught by a janky spot from something and the first you'll know about it is when you get nailed. You'll be better taking a more ranged support role where you can be confident of not being accidentally spotted until your commander is up to speed, but meantime, if you fire assume you were seen. You made yourself a slightly inviting arty traget there as well. Arty often preaims that slope as there is usually guaranteed to be stuff there and when you pulled back down the slope after being spotted you stopped while you were still detected. An arty would have seen you stop and would happily take a blind shot on that position. Try to keep maneuvering unpredictably until you go dark as it makes a for less inviting shot if it's not certain where you are. The move on the 705 was a little careless, you didn't need to pull right, it got you spotted by the bush gap. He was sat exposed on the hill and you could have just gone to the forward bush next to the FV and nailed him from there.

Skorpion: I get the impression you were rushing your shots a bit, especially on the LT which you missed twice early on and later the Emil when he poked the ridge. You were under no real pressure, take your time. I'm going to disagree with Balc0ra on your use of the repair kit. You were hit and tracked by an Emil, that's a potential two more shots incoming so in my opinion it was the correct decision to use it and attempt to escape. Yes, you got clipped again, but it was a non-damaging track and taking a single hit 167 from the Bulldog was preferable to a potential further 800 damage from the Emil. Same mistake with the arty, you moved back and then just sat there. You got away with it with the Pantera but this time arty was paying attention. Latter end of the game you looked like you weren't sure where to go and opted to defend east side, I think you should have fallen back and helped west personally as you had no real targets. Others might disagree.

T67: Watch your ranges, that AT2 was way to close to be firing on without bush cover. You were lucky he had a terrible crew. But otherwise, yeah, that team was tragic. I particularly enjoyed the two Luchs who decided to contest the heavy corner. :)

T20: You made a good push for the hill and... and then did nothing with it. You should have poked the bushes to spot anything coming towards you because otherwise it would have been in your face before you knew about it. Nice blind on the OI. You were a little slow moving down from the hill and getting in behind their arty and when you did you sat right up on top the rail line whilst you were shooting them. Better to go right over the top and be safe down in the dip. A little unlucky with the KV2 but it would have been better to go for a track shot as he was coming over the ridge as you had no kill shot there.

T29: Absolutely terrible trades by that IS3, you owned him hard. You didn't have any back up tho, you were the frontline. Doesn't usually pay to be the frontline when you're the bottom tier.

T150: I think this can be summed up by two things. Firstly you didn't seem to have a plan. Secondly you sat in the hottest arty zone on the entire map. :)

Just a couple general observations. I think you have your sniper zoom cranked up WAAAAY too high. 8x seems to be your default and for close up work that's just problematic. It's particularly noticeable on the T150 game where you're fighting around that central area and when you scope in you keep having have to adjust to get the reticle on target. 11:40 for instance when the Cromwell jabs you it's very obvious when you track around and scope in that you're way off and are having to hunt around to work out where you are looking to move the reticle to the corner he poked on. My default is 4x, and for close work, 2x is more than enough. 8x is for long range and very rarely more than that. You might want to have a play with your setting and mouse speeds in gun/sniper modes.

Once again. Lots of thanks.

It does feel like arty "picks on me" sometimes but I'm starting to understand that my play kinda brings that on myself. Move more is something i'm picking up, both from feedback here and from watching my own replays (something i hadn't done much of). I've done some mucking about with crews to get a sixth sense commander in the Pantera and will play the P43 Bis for a while to get it's crew up to speed.

Not sure what I was thinking in the T20 replay.... ?? The hesitancy early on was very costly by the end of the battle. I can see that now.... minmap observation and processing of the information it contained would certainly have helped!!

Got lucky in the T-29. Other points made in previous replies about blocking support TDs and not over-exposing have been taken on board. Used that to good effect in the Pz V/IV last night on Airfield. We got a good win and I was second on damage and had four kills. Kept my flank covered and watched out for the known TD spots. Even blindfired an M10 and then shifted position to allow a TD to do the same. M10 got lit and we finished him without being hit by any return fire. Teamwork.

I always feel under pressure in the Skorp to do "magical things". End up rushing and being too aggressive too many times. Got to be more observant and make sure my shots are good.

Watched the T-150 replay this morning and was embarrassed... what was I doing? No plan, no thoughts about what to do and how to do it. Very poor play.

Your point about the scope is well made and i will look at the settings.

Thanks again. It's been a real pleasure to get all this insight from better players and players who have so much experience. Can't thank everyone enough.

Laga

Lagalaza #40 Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11924 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View PostJocMeister, on 10 September 2019 - 06:14 PM, said:

Its ingame. Password is play4fun.

Cant find where the forumites channel is or how to find it. Any helpers?

Also tagged with Win rate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users