Absorbed (bounced) HE damage.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

prskanje #1 Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:46 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2766 battles
  • [G-B-U] G-B-U

Hey guys, so I'm in the process of grinding my American T28, and I absolutely love it. I finally got to the first armor-wise reliable tank in that line, and the gun is behaving quite nice.

But the trend that I am noticing is, people resorting to HE ammo after failing to penetrate the hull. I have no personal problems with gold ammo, we all use it at times, to be honest.

My question is: why is absorbed HE damage not counted towards overall blocking? Sure there are larger calibers that do some minor damage (avg. 50 rolls from an IS2, for example), those I wouldn't count as blocked, which is logical. But those HE hits which don't cause any critical nor hull damage (black damage indicator) are also not counted towards blocked damage.

Why? 

Richthoffen #2 Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:59 AM

Major

• Player
  • 30046 battles
  • [MS-] MS-
only thing I can come up with is HE on the front end of the barrel, there is no hitbox in the front half of you gun so nothing gets blocked, there simply is nothing to damage

4nt #3 Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29234 battles
Sadly that has always been so. I've yet to see a satisfactory explanation for HE not counting towards blocked damage, but hazarding a very speculative guess, it might be that engine doesn't allow it without also counting partial HE block.

It'd make the blocking missions easier.

vasilinhorulezz #4 Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27966 battles
The only explanation I can come with is that, if a shell hits a module and the explosion radius doesn't reach the armor, it won't do damage, so in practice you're not bouncing with your armor. It is also the similar to when AP shells hit your tracks but not the armor behind it, these hits still not count towards blocked damage.

undutchable80 #5 Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:21 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11642 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post4nt, on 11 September 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

Sadly that has always been so. I've yet to see a satisfactory explanation for HE not counting towards blocked damage, but hazarding a very speculative guess, it might be that engine doesn't allow it without also counting partial HE block.

It'd make the blocking missions easier.

This. Several times my Super Heavy Spall Liner will work accordingly, but it will fail to register the 1050 dmg shot I "bounced" from arty when doing bouncing missions...

MeetriX #6 Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:23 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 23848 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

View Postvasilinhorulezz, on 11 September 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

The only explanation I can come with is that, if a shell hits a module and the explosion radius doesn't reach the armor, it won't do damage, so in practice you're not bouncing with your armor. It is also the similar to when AP shells hit your tracks but not the armor behind it, these hits still not count towards blocked damage.

No matter how it absorbs it it is not counted as blocked, which makes dmg blocking missions even more frustrating.

samuelx43a #7 Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26605 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

it would be nice, but HE shells for what I know unless hit at a perfect 90deg angle(where the fuze wouldn't hit at all and only the shell side, if that is even possible) can't bounce, the chemical energy from the explosion is just not enough to damage the thing....

I just noticed I started rambling about IRL things, so please take the line above with a grain of salt.

Anyway yes, absorbed HE damage would be a nice counter addition, as well as making some missions much more easy. I think it should not have a reduced multiplier tho, as HE absorptions happen but are not exactly common (unless you forgot to change ammunition or there is someone spamming HE with a low caliber cannon)

prskanje #8 Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2766 battles
  • [G-B-U] G-B-U

View Postvasilinhorulezz, on 11 September 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

The only explanation I can come with is that, if a shell hits a module and the explosion radius doesn't reach the armor, it won't do damage, so in practice you're not bouncing with your armor.

Well yeah, but again it's the armor that blocks the explosion, lightly armored vehicles wouldn't be able to do so.

Might ask support, no idea what kind of an answer I'll get. 

Dorander #9 Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

My best guess is because the game wouldn't be able to differentiate between shots that hit your tank and did partial or zero damage and shots that didn't hit your tank and did partial or zero damage.

I'm also guessing that, since blocked damage counting really doesn't have any other function that I'm aware of (it doesn't give credits or xp), the missions are designed with HE not counting in mind and if it did count, it'd inflate the values and knowing Wargaming they'd inflate it to something really weird, either vastly underestimating or vastly overestimating the new threshold.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users