Jump to content


Interesting article on Loot boxes!


  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Brutal_Enforcer_ #1 Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:40 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 49499 battles
  • 176
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2013

Do you think this will impact WG ?

https://news.sky.com/story/govt-urged-to-crackdown-on-gambling-loot-boxes-in-games-like-fifa-11806964

 

Also please leave your own thoughts on this below

 



TankkiPoju #2 Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:44 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 24018 battles
  • 7,440
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

I guess governments want companies to disclose the actual winning odds before a players places bet.

 

If you consider classic gambling games like roulette and blackjack... you pretty much know the winning odds, right? Roulette wheels has a limited number of results. It should be the same for loot boxes also.



undutchable80 #3 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:23 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 12573 battles
  • 4,170
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014

Not a lawyer so just my personal thoughts. WG loot boxes differ from those like FIFA, since you are guarenteed to get value at least equal to the price you paid; either in gold, premium time etc. Stuff you can buy on its own with real money. Kinda like buying a Happy Meal, where you get the snack, the drink and the burger and the toy, but 1 in xyz will also have something extra of much greater value.

 

FIFA and other games with loot boxes do not have this guarantee: You cannot buy the Ronaldo gold card separately for 40 euros or any other player specific card for money. Otherwise ppl would probably just pay that to get the player they want guaranteed. The only way to get them is to buy the loot boxes and hope to get lucky, without guarantees you get value at least equal to what you paid. 

 

 



Brutal_Enforcer_ #4 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:23 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 49499 battles
  • 176
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2013
TankkiPoju yes I agree with you, but they may not do that as the chance % if published might impact the sale of loot boxes if it is to low

Inappropriate_noob #5 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:25 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 17519 battles
  • 5,354
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011
Could be a good thing, isn't funny thought that whenever something comes up about the gaming industry, WG are never ever mentioned, strange that, guess they really are small fry compared to other gaming companies.

Brutal_Enforcer_ #6 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:26 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 49499 battles
  • 176
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2013

View Postundutchable80, on 12 September 2019 - 06:23 AM, said:

Not a lawyer so just my personal thoughts. WG loot boxes differ from those like FIFA, since you are guarenteed to get value at least equal to the price you paid; either in gold, premium time etc. Stuff you can buy on its own with real money. Kinda like buying a Happy Meal, where you get the snack, the drink and the burger and the toy, but 1 in xyz will also have something extra of much greater value.

 

FIFA and other games with loot boxes do not have this guarantee: You cannot buy the Ronaldo gold card separately for 40 euros or any other player specific card for money. Otherwise ppl would probably just pay that to get the player they want guaranteed. The only way to get them is to buy the loot boxes and hope to get lucky, without guarantees you get value at least equal to what you paid. 

 

 


Hmmm, valid points there, but on the other hand the wording is misleading in the context of you have a chance of getting... ie type 59 and other things as per some YT vids people opened over 200 boxes and did not get any of the top tanks so they gambled on the chance but lost in my view



Nethraniel #7 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:28 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 14586 battles
  • 2,574
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    05-30-2012

View PostNoobySkooby, on 12 September 2019 - 07:25 AM, said:

Could be a good thing, isn't funny thought that whenever something comes up about the gaming industry, WG are never ever mentioned, strange that, guess they really are small fry compared to other gaming companies.

Wargaming is a small fish compared to EA, Ubisoft, Activision/Blizzard



Lanrefni #8 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:31 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 34919 battles
  • 5,132
  • Member since:
    09-15-2012

View PostNethraniel, on 12 September 2019 - 08:28 AM, said:

Wargaming is a small fish compared to EA, Ubisoft, Activision/Blizzard

this

although all of those, except maybe ubi, are already going down.

 

besides, in this age, companies are already gaining more power than any government. these articles will have no impact.



Zmago5000 #9 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:33 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 13457 battles
  • 929
  • Member since:
    11-24-2018

Dang, without lootboxes this will be even more boring,...

 



Brutal_Enforcer_ #10 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 49499 battles
  • 176
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2013

View PostlnfernaI, on 12 September 2019 - 06:31 AM, said:

this

although all of those, except maybe ubi, are already going down.

 

besides, in this age, companies are already gaining more power than any government. these articles will have no impact.


Well in Netherlands and Belgium it did have an impact and the governments took action, as might others... hope not though as need some good gold again this year lol



undutchable80 #11 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:42 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 12573 battles
  • 4,170
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014

View Postipmj969, on 12 September 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:


Hmmm, valid points there, but on the other hand the wording is misleading in the context of you have a chance of getting... ie type 59 and other things as per some YT vids people opened over 200 boxes and did not get any of the top tanks so they gambled on the chance but lost in my view

Depends on your definition of gambling I guess. You still get equal value to what you paid, you are just hoping one of the boxes contains something extra. 



kaneloon #12 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:45 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 31205 battles
  • 3,907
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0
  • Member since:
    11-18-2011
UK fearing "gambling addiction" in young and fragile players, UK where there are millions of money gambling machines everywhere for everyone, where you can bet on the color of the queen's dress ... kind of a joke ;)

Jauhesammutin #13 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:57 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 23690 battles
  • 1,030
  • [FAUF] FAUF
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

View Postipmj969, on 12 September 2019 - 06:26 AM, said:


Hmmm, valid points there, but on the other hand the wording is misleading in the context of you have a chance of getting... ie type 59 and other things as per some YT vids people opened over 200 boxes and did not get any of the top tanks so they gambled on the chance but lost in my view

No, they paid for gold/premium time (whatever else was guaranteed in the boxes) and hoped that they would also get the Type 59.

They weren't gambling for the T59.

 

In my opinion the best solution would be to rate the lootbox-games for +18.This way the people who are buying lootboxes can legally gamble.



Cobra6 #14 Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:11 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16531 battles
  • 17,657
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

View Postundutchable80, on 12 September 2019 - 06:23 AM, said:

Not a lawyer so just my personal thoughts. WG loot boxes differ from those like FIFA, since you are guarenteed to get value at least equal to the price you paid; either in gold, premium time etc. Stuff you can buy on its own with real money. Kinda like buying a Happy Meal, where you get the snack, the drink and the burger and the toy, but 1 in xyz will also have something extra of much greater value.

 

 

 

Problem is that the perceived value is in WG's had, none of it has real world value since you can't sell it on.

 

So in the end you are putting real world money in a bet to get an item, in other words, gambling.

 

And gambling is regulated for a very good reason.

 

Besides this, a lot of tanks in the Christmas loot boxes you can't buy separately either. Type59, lefefefe, IS-3A etc.

 

Cobra 6


Edited by Cobra6, 12 September 2019 - 08:12 AM.


Dramya #15 Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:18 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 15684 battles
  • 258
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

View Postundutchable80, on 12 September 2019 - 08:23 AM, said:

Not a lawyer so just my personal thoughts. WG loot boxes differ from those like FIFA, since you are guarenteed to get value at least equal to the price you paid; either in gold, premium time etc. Stuff you can buy on its own with real money. Kinda like buying a Happy Meal, where you get the snack, the drink and the burger and the toy, but 1 in xyz will also have something extra of much greater value.

 

FIFA and other games with loot boxes do not have this guarantee: You cannot buy the Ronaldo gold card separately for 40 euros or any other player specific card for money. Otherwise ppl would probably just pay that to get the player they want guaranteed. The only way to get them is to buy the loot boxes and hope to get lucky, without guarantees you get value at least equal to what you paid. 

 

 

 

*Cough* IS-3A *cough*


Edited by Dramya, 12 September 2019 - 08:19 AM.


undutchable80 #16 Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 12573 battles
  • 4,170
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014

View PostCobra6, on 12 September 2019 - 08:11 AM, said:

 

Problem is that the perceived value is in WG's had, none of it has real world value since you can't sell it on.

 

So in the end you are putting real world money in a bet to get an item, in other words, gambling.

 

And gambling is regulated for a very good reason.

 

Besides this, a lot of tanks in the Christmas loot boxes you can't buy separately either. Type59, lefefefe, IS-3A etc.

 

Cobra 6

True, the value is set by WG, but you can still buy gold and premium time for money. You cannot by any single FIFA player card like this. 

 

Yes and no, it all depends on how you view it. If you are willing to spend 40 euros on gold and premium time anyway, you can do that either by buying those straight away if you want exactt amounts of it. If you dont care which way or the other how much of either you end up with, you can get it by the boxes with the chance of receiving extras. If your mindset is: "I want tank" when buying the boxes, then you may end up disappointed and thinking that you gambled "and wasted money"...

 

The Type 59, LefH, IS3A etc HAVE been sold in the past. They are just not on offer 24/7. As far as I know, the Golden Ronaldo / Messi etc cards have never ever been sold separately in the FIFA shop...

 

EDIT: Plus, FIFA releases a new version of its game every year, which means players have to buy new packs every year in the hope to get the superstar of their choice (again). The Ronaldos and Messi's from FIFA 18 dont carry over to FIFA 19...


Edited by undutchable80, 12 September 2019 - 08:34 AM.


Jauhesammutin #17 Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 23690 battles
  • 1,030
  • [FAUF] FAUF
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

View PostCobra6, on 12 September 2019 - 07:11 AM, said:

 

Problem is that the perceived value is in WG's had, none of it has real world value since you can't sell it on.

 

So in the end you are putting real world money in a bet to get an item, in other words, gambling.

 

And gambling is regulated for a very good reason.

 

Besides this, a lot of tanks in the Christmas loot boxes you can't buy separately either. Type59, lefefefe, IS-3A etc.

 

Cobra 6

Give the game +18 rating (or whatever the gambling age is) and it's all good.



adameitas #18 Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:26 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 69987 battles
  • 1,018
  • Member since:
    07-29-2011

Dunno i dont see problems about those lootboxes. At least i dont see them as true gambling. Before you buy them you know what you can get and you know you gonna will get something anyway. Not like you spend 10 eur and might not get anything. Also usually people even get more then they would get for same price in regular way. What i like the most is that more or less everything you get is useful.

 

 

 

 

 

 



Homer_J #19 Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:32 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Moderator
  • 32940 battles
  • 36,162
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View Postipmj969, on 12 September 2019 - 06:40 AM, said:

 

Also please leave your own thoughts on this below

 

 

I don't see any difference between virtual loot boxes and the myriad of "collectables" you can get, sticker collections, miniature figures, etc. etc.  where you need to spend thousands to get a full set.  Things which have been around for decades and governments have not even noticed them.



Brutal_Enforcer_ #20 Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:35 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 49499 battles
  • 176
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2013

View PostHomer_J, on 12 September 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

 

I don't see any difference between virtual loot boxes and the myriad of "collectables" you can get, sticker collections, miniature figures, etc. etc.  where you need to spend thousands to get a full set.  Things which have been around for decades and governments have not even noticed them.


Yes I remember the days back in the early 80's badgering my parents for panini football cards and each year I never managed to get the full sticker book, I am now nearing 50 and still have them in a box in the loft along with my football program collection






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users