Jump to content


Finnaly - XVM relic from the past ?

XVM

  • Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

the_nebuchadnezzar #21 Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 54161 battles
  • 1,659
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
  • Member since:
    08-19-2013
WG is doing what they do best: realize what the problem is and then go out and complicate things even more while leaving the problem in place. Same thing they did with atries. Instead of limit then to one per team, they went and nerf them into the ground, but still allow 3 in every team. Now, instead of banning XVM they go out and fill all battles with "RenamedUsers"... GJ WG!

_AchmetSchachbrett_ #22 Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 868 battles
  • 959
  • [-ST_] -ST_
  • Member since:
    02-25-2014

View PostSchepel, on 15 September 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:

So, basically, the only way to pick out actual bot users is going to be disabled.

 

I am sure WG will love it when people won't directly notice when their absolute failure to track and ban bots is no longer that painfully obvious.

 

even now wg doesnt care about any bot user complaints. there are bot users with way over 100k battles already, playing 150+ battles every day with awful stats... i can only imagine how many reports they must have gotten over time without anything happening to them. best i have seen was someone with 70k battles in the hummel and 6 (!!!) average damage.



ChristOfTheAbyss #23 Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:42 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 251 battles
  • 298
  • Member since:
    07-22-2019

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 15 September 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

WG is doing what they do best: realize what the problem is and then go out and complicate things even more while leaving the problem in place. Same thing they did with atries. Instead of limit then to one per team, they went and nerf them into the ground, but still allow 3 in every team. Now, instead of banning XVM they go out and fill all battles with "RenamedUsers"... GJ WG!

 

Well I dont see problem in "renamed users"

 

Also arties got huge buff, not a nerf. 



Dava_117 #24 Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:47 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 22448 battles
  • 4,887
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014
Maybe it's overcomplicate, but why WG don't change how we get the enemy and team member name from a text string to an image? You can make a random dark background under the white name, so that it became hard for a program to detect the name while we still can recognize them. I think in game stat are bad for gameplay, but I also like to see names, because I may meet other forumites or friends.

Edited by Dava_117, 15 September 2019 - 07:47 PM.


8126Jakobsson #25 Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:47 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 78627 battles
  • 5,202
  • Member since:
    12-20-2014
Oh no not the names. Can't they just make the numbers that affects gameplay and bullying go away? 

NUKLEAR_SLUG #26 Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 34076 battles
  • 4,395
  • [FISHY] FISHY
  • Member since:
    06-13-2015

View PostOrtegaSLO, on 15 September 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

I like the idea, because now you get targeted a lot if you are a good player.

 

You aren't good enough for anyone to care. 



Gkirmathal #27 Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:22 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 8602 battles
  • 1,705
  • [2VTD] 2VTD
  • Member since:
    01-14-2013

View PostOrtegaSLO, on 15 September 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

So WG at WGFest announced that they will add anonymizer into the game. So you will get a random name and XVM will be unable to show the statistic for you.

I like the idea, because now you get targeted a lot if you are a good player.

 

 

Well done WG!

 

In my honest opinion...the way they are going to implement this is....

 

In theory username obfuscation can be circumvented, you as a player can still be known to have obfuscated your player name and thus still be focused by those who do this "for the kicks".

But how easy/hard/how long it will take to code such thing, I dunnow, a good coder would have to answer that.

 

How to theoretically go about it:

- ASAP make a 3rd party database with all known current WoT playersnames in it.

- Change the XVM callback functions to compare and filter battle player names, some will be obfuscated, with whats in the database.

 

Presto you have filtered out who has obfuscated themselves. This can be abused by those who get the kicks out of this kind of behavior.

 

Unless...Wargaming comes to their senses and enables obfuscation by default for all players. Leaving an OPT-IN option if you as a player want to be known.

 


Edited by Gkirmathal, 15 September 2019 - 08:25 PM.


FrantisekBascovansky #28 Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:35 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 29400 battles
  • 745
  • Member since:
    03-26-2018
I don't want to play with or against RenamedUsers.

Homer_J #29 Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:51 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 32256 battles
  • 35,316
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 15 September 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

 

As I bad player myself, I cannot help but think that this is a retrograde step.

 

As an idea for a multiplayer game I think it's quite terrible.

 

May as well play against bots.



Jumping_Turtle #30 Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:02 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 69318 battles
  • 7,484
  • [CNUT] CNUT
  • Member since:
    10-15-2013

View Post8126Jakobsson, on 15 September 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

Oh no not the names. Can't they just make the numbers that affects gameplay and bullying go away? 

 

This very much. I had the most fun games in this game when you recognize people who are in the same battle in my team or the enemies team. Take the nam,es away and I could just as weel play against 29 bots.

Terrible option this and a huge dislike



Bulldog_Drummond #31 Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:03 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 33118 battles
  • 10,443
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

View PostHomer_J, on 15 September 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

 

As an idea for a multiplayer game I think it's quite terrible.

 

May as well play against bots.

 

Sounds like the end of the "which forumite did you see in battle today?" thread

 

Also of those golden moments when you get to kill a purple player who is trying some low level clubbing.



Homer_J #32 Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 32256 battles
  • 35,316
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 15 September 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

 

Sounds like the end of the "which forumite did you see in battle today?" thread

 

Not as long as it is optional.

 

Then again nobody has seen me in years. :(



Bulldog_Drummond #33 Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:26 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 33118 battles
  • 10,443
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

View PostHomer_J, on 15 September 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

 

Not as long as it is optional.

 

Then again nobody has seen me in years. :(

 

I think I only get a mention when the Turtle kills me again.



Element6 #34 Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:42 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 31681 battles
  • 11,488
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-06-2013
With XVM, people who target players with good or decent stats have a 100% chance of targeting a player with the skillset that they deem worthy of focus. With anonymizer in the game, the accuracy of proper focus will very likely be dropping to abyssmal levels, especially if a representative sample of the playerbase turns it on. Focusing an anonymous player could be an 80% chance of focusing a player in the bottom 20% of the playerbase, which would be a total waste of effort in most cases.

If you are biased an assume that only people who have a good reason to hide their good stats, actually hide their stats, the teams will sometimes appear to have high numbers of good players in them, something that is very unlikely to be true. So good luck with that approach.

NoobySkooby #35 Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:48 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 16975 battles
  • 4,939
  • [D3NK] D3NK
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 15 September 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

 

As I bad player myself, I cannot help but think that this is a retrograde step.

But your not,your better than me,so this is welcome

 



CrazyLovex #36 Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:50 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 21615 battles
  • 359
  • Member since:
    07-20-2013

View PostElement6, on 15 September 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

With XVM, people who target players with good or decent stats have a 100% chance of targeting a player with the skill set that they deem worthy of focus. With anonymizer in the game, the accuracy of proper focus will very likely be dropping to abysmal levels, especially if a representative sample of the player-base turns it on. Focusing an anonymous player could be an 80% chance of focusing a player in the bottom 20% of the player-base, which would be a total waste of effort in most cases.

If you are biased an assume that only people who have a good reason to hide their good stats, actually hide their stats, the teams will sometimes appear to have high numbers of good players in them, something that is very unlikely to be true. So good luck with that approach.

Where did you get these statistics from?



Jumping_Turtle #37 Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:55 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 69318 battles
  • 7,484
  • [CNUT] CNUT
  • Member since:
    10-15-2013

View PostElement6, on 15 September 2019 - 09:42 PM, said:

Focusing an anonymous player could be an 80% chance of focusing a player in the bottom 20%.

 

You really think the worst players will even know there is this option and will turn it on ?



krismorgan #38 Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 36193 battles
  • 588
  • [UKT] UKT
  • Member since:
    10-18-2013

Just more dumbing down the game for the whiners!

Arty/lights/xvm/wheelies etc whats next?



Jumping_Turtle #39 Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:12 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 69318 battles
  • 7,484
  • [CNUT] CNUT
  • Member since:
    10-15-2013
Yay, the whiners have won once again ...

unhappy_bunny #40 Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:40 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 19784 battles
  • 3,516
  • [-OC-] -OC-
  • Member since:
    08-01-2012

View PostOrtegaSLO, on 15 September 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

I dont use any mods :)

until recently I also had chat disabled.

I get targeted alot becouse of XVM. So I hate it.

Try to play the game without mods and chat. Its relaxing :P


How do you know you are being targetted because of XVM? Do you have evidence or is just a "feel"?







Also tagged with XVM

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users