An honest opinion from an average player

frontline feedback

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Your opinion (75 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 15 battle in order to participate this poll.

Do you Prefer Attacking or Defending?

1. Attacking (38 votes [50.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.67%

2. Defending (9 votes [12.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

3. Indifferent (They are as fun as each other) (28 votes [37.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.33%

If you did not have the opportunity to win premium vehicles would you still play this game mode?

1. Yes (49 votes [65.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.33%

2. No (26 votes [34.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.67%

Vote Hide poll

addlinny #1 Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8267 battles
  • [_A_H_] _A_H_

Okay, so I'll start by saying I've been playing WoT for about 6 years and in general think that WG have done a good job improving the game with new content, mechanics, and events (with a few poor decisions here and there).  Frontline is, in my opinion, a great idea on paper but in reality I don't think that the gamemode works and I'll explain why.

Firstly some good points: 

1. Large scale battles are amazing!  Whereas the smaller maps quickly can have formulas and metas that heavily influence gameplay, Frontline can be played with many different tactics and that has made almost every game I've played quite unique, even though it is the same map(s). 
  2. Respawning I think has also been done very well.  I like WoT because you can't respawn and that makes you play a lot more tactically however with such large maps it makes sense to have a respawn mechanic and I'm quite happy with the current implementation.  I wouldn't go as far as saying I like it but I do think that WG have done a good job to makes sure that players do still prioritise staying alive.
  3. Combat reserves change up the game and some of them make it feel very different from your average game of WoT which can be fun. 
  4. It is great to have the opportunity to earn premium tanks but what I like more is just how profitable this game mode seems to be!  The credits have become the only reason to play this gamemode for me.

Now for the bad:

1. Consumables certainly make this gamemode interesting but they entirely change how you can play certain tanks.  For example, playing the swedish TDs, although possible, is extremely difficult as being spotted and being pummeled by artillery and air strikes is seemingly much too easy.  The spotting alone is not a terrible ability but combined with the ability to remotely cause devastating damage, the fun that you can have with certain tanks is negligible.
  2. Speaking of certain tanks, although artillery may be controlled during these games it seems as though the other tank types are not.  it is all to easy to be in a situation spawning in as a heavy to defend only to find yourself being circled by 3 light tanks.  Light tanks seem to have an advantage in this game mode due to being able to move across huge distances quickly.  The imbalance I don't think is drastic but it is not something that is commonly seen in standard games because of the balanced matchmaking.
  3. Luckily I have been playing this game long enough to have a good selection of T8s to choose from however I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't.  The game mode is very punishing when you die (as it should be) but with each death it becomes more and more difficult to be effective on the battlefield.  This is due to tanks having a cool-down, respawn points are badly positioned if a base has just been captured, and towards late game when the fight becomes more east-west you can't spawn close enough to the action.  This player limit mixed with having previously used fast tanks disabled makes late game extremely frustrating if you die.
  4. Teamwork is impossible in such big teams Winning and losing seems to be entirely up to chance and I can often earn more points for losing games rather than winning games.  That clearly shows that I have little effect on the outcome which is very frustrating. To clarify, I'm no amazing player, just 8k games and 50.7% win so this one is more subjective I guess. 
  5. Render distance - this one is pretty self explanatory for such big maps.  Clearly there are technical limitations but I thought it was worth noting. 
  6. The grind for the rewards is too much.  I'll be honest, I missed the first few weeks and have been trying to catch up but I got to the point where I realised that it wasn't possible to catch up without forgoing sleep.  The amount of time needed to get the the new reward tanks is very high for an average player.  If it was a month long event that I had missed it would not be so bad but as a 10 month long event I feel almost cheated out of the opportunity to earn new tanks. I really hope that WG do have other events where these new tanks will be rewards in the future.

All the above problems are things that could be tweaked or fixed but there is a better reason why I think that this gamemode can never be successful enough.

As an Attacker you feel as though you are fighting a winning battle. - Fun

As a Defender you feel as though you are fighting a losing battle. - Not fun

This is simple game psychology.  As an attacker you are being rewarded with progress through the map even if you are too slow and likely going to lose whereas as a defender you are being punished by being pushed back even if you have held the enemy back and are likely to win.  Assault battles are the same and this is the reason why many people have it disabled however because there is only one objective to capture the focus is more on killing the enemy.

This is largely my opinion and analysis and would really like to know what others think regarding attacking vs defending in such large and time consuming games?  I think a good question to ask is would you still play this game mode if you didn't have the chance to win premium vehicles?  I much prefer grand battles personally.

I feel as though the only way WG have only balanced this game mode is by adjusting the timers until win rates are about equal rather than looking further into what may be wrong with the gameplay or mechanics.  

Ps. Sorry for turning this into an essay, hopefully it was insightful nonetheless :D

Edited by addlinny, 16 September 2019 - 10:43 PM.

Jauhesammutin #2 Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23668 battles
  • [FAUF] FAUF
Players need to realize that it's not about winning or losing. It's about having fun. But because this us just an event players still think about the game economy and rewards. Without those (if this was the only mode) the players would be much more relaxed. Like for example in Battlefields you don't really care about winning or losing. It's a 64v64 you can't win against the whole enemy team. 

chainreact0r #3 Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34756 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

For a player who gets major-general 50-50, the grind takes roughly 16 hours - 31kxp, game lasts 30m, 900-1200xp/game. These are my personal numbers.

With boosters that's 8 hours. For example, it took me only 5 boosters last month to get a prestige, which means you can virtually start this week and if you play long enough and well enough you can still finish by the end of the tenth episode without forgoing sleep, and you also have plenty of boosters, more or less enough for 10 prestiges if you count the ones you will get in the remaining 2 episodes.

But that is the key, you need to play well. The game has always been like this. You can get rewards for being a no-lifer, by playing well or by paying well if you have a time consuming job/life. Unfortunately, there is no buying your way into this mode, so the only options are play a lot or play well. Besides, what would be the point of a cool unique tank as the final reward if every casual bob could get his hands on it?

SaintMaddenus #4 Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:54 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38503 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

"so the only options are play a lot or play well"

Fortunately I am 50/50 between both.    I play better on attacking than defending.  I tend to defend alone too often and my kv4 isn't mobile enough to run away.  But I like how I can sit out 5 or 6 arty strikes with only 250 damage... Though an EBR does that every shot....

Alabamatick #5 Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:44 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31849 battles

Voted indifferent and yes

i wasn't playing it for the rewards, i just enjoy the meta of vision games and long range fire that the first map provided

however, i have now stopped as the new map has spoiled it for me

ZliNemac #6 Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 43152 battles
  • [BENCH] BENCH

Actually, Frontline is only interesting thing in WoT.

I never had time (I am not so good player) for clanwars (although I love the concept), other modes which appears from time to time were awful...so basically - only what is left - is random. Random become pure crap in past 2-3 years. It cannot be interesting when majority of them are finished in 3-4 minutes with results like 15:1 up to 15:5. Cant remember when random battle was finished with 15:12, 15:13 or 15:14 result.

Frontline is interesting and thats why I play it. Many things can be better, but I will not spend my time expaining it "how and what" since WG proved that they are not interested in feedback from players. In matter of fact, I have no idea why I posted this comment on forum after a while, but...ok....

OlympusPk #7 Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:52 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 86097 battles
  • [HLSP] HLSP

Ok, lets start

1) I am reward/objective driven player, so premium/reward vehicles are a very good motivation for playing this mode.

2) There are also other prizes like gold and bonds that worth playing for,

3) The game has become very boring with the time so for me those rewards are the main motivation, because I see no much fun.

4) Frontline Reserves has also helped to play this mode, because without them the grinding could prevent a lot of players playing this mode.

Lagalaza #8 Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10175 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

I enjoy the mode, like the new map as well as the old one and play for the credits and tier up rewards. I didn't play Frontline until May, only played a little since then due to various time constraints and not having many suitable tier 8 vehicles. I am going to invest a good deal of time and energy into the mode for September, October and November and see how far I can get. My target is prestige 6.

The mode is fun for sure and all the bits I don't like that much are insignificant when compared to the enjoyment I get from it. Much the same as the game in general. Yes, it could be improved, but hey, it's still a really good game.

Ragoutrabbit #9 Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10891 battles
Modes pay to win trash.

Ilknur_Ibryam #10 Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:22 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13288 battles

I Enjoy the mode and I am tier 5 in 2 editions and the second one has not finished yet.

I have no idea how many there have been but I can not believe people are farming objectives still.

There is no point in winning or losing, the point is to extend the game as much as possible until the end and farm rank. 

Yet people would just farm the objectives with 5 + minutes left ... like seriously are WoT players that retarded?

You cant win frontlines, you win by playing the longest time and achieving the highest rank.

The second problem is all the artilery strike stuff. It is way too much and should be removed ASAP. Having arta in game is okay, but everyone and his mom striking you with arty strike is horrible gameplay.

I hate random battles, they are boring as hell. The maps are boring and non dynamic. The game play is the same. Lower tiers up to 8 are okay and playable, but higher random battles are just horrible. Front line is what really makes me play the game. Just remove arty strikes and let us pew pew normally.

Edited by Ilknur_Ibryam, 20 September 2019 - 11:25 PM.

Negativvv #11 Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:17 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 13575 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

I played for 1 Prestige to get the tags and to give the game mode a chance.

Meh its "ok" but I much prefer playing the shorter Random Battles. 

FL lasts too long per game for my liking, I also laugh how a lot of clueless players don't understand that farming is how to "win" and it isn't about actually winning.

The maps are a bit too bland and the meta favours faster tanks that still have effective guns.

WG's short intervals make any FL grind stressful when you have a job and other commitments. The reward tanks don't interest me in the slightest, I'd rather buy them than grind the countless hours needed in FL. 

WV are a problem, seems like some areas of the maps they just buzz around like angry flies.

However the biggest issue with FL is it's basically World of Premiums. My choices were the Progetto, T-44 100 and the Type 59 in that order. With the LT-432 if I really had to go LT. I imagine the top performers are all the better Medium Prem tanks. 

Made a cool 8 million credits for the push to 1 Prestige so can't complain too much.

Jauhesammutin #12 Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23668 battles
  • [FAUF] FAUF

View PostIlknur_Ibryam, on 20 September 2019 - 10:22 PM, said:

I Enjoy the mode and I am tier 5 in 2 editions and the second one has not finished yet.

I have no idea how many there have been but I can not believe people are farming objectives still.

There is no point in winning or losing, the point is to extend the game as much as possible until the end and farm rank. 

Yet people would just farm the objectives with 5 + minutes left ... like seriously are WoT players that retarded?

You cant win frontlines, you win by playing the longest time and achieving the highest rank.

This would be true if there was an infinite amount of XP to gain. Sadly you can only get General (+1200xp) and that's it. So when you are General and the game could last still for 10 more minutes, it's 10 minutes "wasted" so it's better to end the game and start a new one.

Edited by Jauhesammutin, 23 September 2019 - 10:49 AM.

Ilknur_Ibryam #13 Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:31 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13288 battles

View PostJauhesammutin, on 23 September 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

This would be true if there was an infinite amount of XP to gain. Sadly you can only get General (+1200xp) and that's it. So when you are General and the game could last still for 10 more minutes, it's 10 minutes "wasted" so it's better to end the game and start a new one.

This would be the case if everyone was a good player and able to reach General within 10-15 mins. I am not. Although my most games end up at at least captain and mostly major, I am able to hit General only if the games are long enough. However since the players are trying hard to finish the games I am unable to do so.

So my game plan from the beginining is to prolong the game. I would leave a zone when defending if the attackers experience difficulties capping. Or I will join a zone that my team is experincing to cap rather than push to kill objectives.

Jauhesammutin #14 Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23668 battles
  • [FAUF] FAUF

View PostIlknur_Ibryam, on 27 September 2019 - 05:31 AM, said:

This would be the case if everyone was a good player and able to reach General within 10-15 mins. I am not. Although my most games end up at at least captain and mostly major, I am able to hit General only if the games are long enough. However since the players are trying hard to finish the games I am unable to do so.

So my game plan from the beginining is to prolong the game. I would leave a zone when defending if the attackers experience difficulties capping. Or I will join a zone that my team is experincing to cap rather than push to kill objectives.

I explained why (some) people farm objectives when there's 5 minutes left. They want to end the game because there is nothing for them to gain. I didn't say everyone has to be General. 

Ilknur_Ibryam #15 Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:51 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13288 battles
I would like to say that these people are a very few and not in every game. I am basically speaking for the rest. Not these rare cases...

Jauhesammutin #16 Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23668 battles
  • [FAUF] FAUF

View PostIlknur_Ibryam, on 27 September 2019 - 09:51 AM, said:

I would like to say that these people are a very few and not in every game. I am basically speaking for the rest. Not these rare cases...

Then it would be as you said it "they are that retarded".

There are people who just press play and don't read any instructions or rules or whatever. One Forumite didn't know how to increase prestige or where to see the rewards...

OIias_of_Sunhillow #17 Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:47 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 26015 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I've achieved everything I could ever get from this mode. Completion, with the 2 tanks that I wanted; Emil 1951, and the AE Phase I. ..the gold, the bonds, the credits, and the shiney badges.

It's been fun, mostly. I kind of joined it a bit late, and did a heck of a job catching up.

I now fear, that now I've got all the rewards, I won't enjoy FL as much. And I'd hate that. It's the only part of WoT that I've thoroughly enjoyed over the past 9 months.

FrontLine, is reward driven. It had/has, to be, to be topical, and current. And customer popular.

There have been some hits and misses. Personally, I think there's too much arty/arty strikes/bombing runs, going on. Limited maps. ...I'm seriously not keen on Kraftwerk.

The ability of enemy tanks, particularly wheelies, driving around unchallenged(?), around spawn areas.

..some other bits, ..but it's been fun.

I shall continue to play FL just to rack up more credits, and to see what else is achievable in this mode. 

Edited by OIias_of_Sunhillow, 27 September 2019 - 03:48 PM.

Also tagged with frontline, feedback

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users