Is World of Tanks worth it?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

llVIU #1 Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Commander
  • 37987 battles
  • [TKSPG] TKSPG

I started playing this game 7 years ago, then quit and moved to wot blitz. I came back and I see 2 things. People complain, mainly about the same issues. LOTS of complaining, and there's hardly any new players... the game should've gained more and more popularity, it should be easy to find new players and harder to find old players. But I get the feeling that most of the players are just as old here as I am, some even older, I can tell by the join date on these forums. It feels like new gamers have a better perspective than we do, they look at this game, they see the flaws more clearly and think to themselves ''nope, not worth it'' while we have our ''progress'', a game that we ''grew up with'' so we stick to it. But is it worth it? Are we having fun? How many of the issues have been fixed since you started playing world of tanks? Team killing, rude people, unfair matches, arty, hacking... it feels like wargaming is aware of this and they keep targeting their products to old players, rather than new ones. Even using us to draw new players in, such as rewards for referring people. Sounds like they're having a hard time getting new players. And the forums seem less active than in 2014. I don't hear anyone talking about world of tanks anywhere else on the internet or in real life (unlike for example half life, fortnite, overwatch, diablo, starcraft, world of warcraft etc) I don't get the feeling that things are gonna change drastically for the better (just band-aids of ''buy this limited edition tank for this limited time, buy this discount gold'' ) , and I think the game will decline in popularity even further until the day when the cost of keeping the servers is higher than the money flowing in. How many years will that take?

Am I wrong?

Edited by llVIU, 24 September 2019 - 07:48 PM.

Bulldog_Drummond #2 Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33600 battles

View PostllVIU, on 24 September 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

I started playing this game 7 years ago, then quit and moved to wot blitz. I came back and I see 2 things. People complain, mainly about the same issues. LOTS of complaining, and there's hardly any new players... the game should've gained more and more popularity, it should be easy to find new players and harder to find old players. But I get the feeling that most of the players are just as old here as I am, some even older, I can tell by the join date on these forums. It feels like new gamers have a better perspective than we do, they look at this game, they see the flaws more clearly and think to themselves ''nope, not worth it'' while we have our ''progress'', a game that we ''grew up with'' so we stick to it. But is it worth it? Are we having fun? How many of the issues have been fixed since you started playing world of tanks? Team killing, rude people, unfair matches, arty, hacking... it feels like wargaming is aware of this and they keep targeting their products to old players, rather than new ones. Even using us to draw new players in, such as rewards for referring people. Sounds like they're having a hard time getting new players. And the forums seem less active than in 2014. I don't hear anyone talking about world of tanks anywhere else on the internet or in real life (unlike for example half life, fortnite, overwatch, diablo, starcraft, world of warcraft etc) I don't get the feeling that things are gonna change drastically for the better (just band-aids of ''buy this limited edition tank for this limited time, buy this discount gold'' ) , and I think the game will decline in popularity even further until the day when the cost of keeping the servers is higher than the money flowing in. How many years will that take?

Am I wrong?

It's a tontine.

Babbet_1 #3 Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14276 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Yes!  :)

NUKLEAR_SLUG #4 Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34515 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostllVIU, on 24 September 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

Am I wrong?

Yep. 

malachi6 #5 Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:26 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 50937 battles

Is it worth it, is only a question you can answer.  Given only you know your particular opportunity costs. 

Most people say yes.  If they say no and keep playing, something is wrong with their logic.

24doom24 #6 Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8723 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
Not if you're new. WG screwed everything there is to screw regarding new player experience. 

Inappropriate_noob #7 Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:34 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 17513 battles

Am I wrong?

I think you have a point, talk to most people about this game and they ah yeah, as if it is meaningless ,where as other games sometimes hit the headlines, I feel this is like a relative underground game.

Bulldog_Drummond #8 Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33600 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 24 September 2019 - 07:34 PM, said:

I think you have a point, talk to most people about this game and they ah yeah, as if it is meaningless ,where as other games sometimes hit the headlines, I feel this is like a relative underground game.

Like people and companies, games are born only to die.

I guess the reason I bother to play this one is that I can do it in thin slices of 5 or 10 minute increments, it's mental chewing gum, and I can't be bothered to learn anything new.  I took a quick look at Stellaris the other day but if I want that sort of complex stuff I will stick to my day job.  After 7 years I understand the game but am still bad at it, so I can understand why it might not appeal to newcomers especially as the generation that grew up on WW2 Commando comics and Airfix tank models dies out.

llVIU #9 Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Commander
  • 37987 battles
  • [TKSPG] TKSPG

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 24 September 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

Like people and companies, games are born only to die.

I guess the reason I bother to play this one is that I can do it in thin slices of 5 or 10 minute increments, it's mental chewing gum, and I can't be bothered to learn anything new.  I took a quick look at Stellaris the other day but if I want that sort of complex stuff I will stick to my day job.  After 7 years I understand the game but am still bad at it, so I can understand why it might not appeal to newcomers especially as the generation that grew up on WW2 Commando comics and Airfix tank models dies out.

For me, when I want to have a mental chewing gum, I would pick up one of my old single player games. Something that I can just pause at any time, it's easy enough but I'm already skilled enough... world of tanks on the other hand is very competitive, can be very hard to win. I can name dozens of other games that fit that description and world of tanks doesn't fit there (for me)

mtnm #10 Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3673 battles
Another doom topic? Defenders of WG assemble!

Venatacia #11 Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36907 battles

"Hardly any new players". Go play random battles right now, there are so many new players, battles are disgustingly bad. My last battle some new player had 112 battles, he wasn't the only one. You are so wrong on that one.

The rest I can't argue with, same old.

Bulldog_Drummond #12 Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33600 battles

View PostllVIU, on 24 September 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

For me, when I want to have a mental chewing gum, I would pick up one of my old single player games. Something that I can just pause at any time, it's easy enough but I'm already skilled enough... world of tanks on the other hand is very competitive, can be very hard to win. I can name dozens of other games that fit that description and world of tanks doesn't fit there (for me)

I have also wasted many hundreds of occasional hours on the excellent FTL which fits neatly into that category.  While not competitive it is also not easy to win, so there is some challenge.  And it only costs £5.

20:28 Added after 1 minute

View PostVenatacia, on 24 September 2019 - 08:23 PM, said:

"Hardly any new players". Go play random battles right now, there are so many new players, battles are disgustingly bad. My last battle some new player had 112 battles, he wasn't the only one. You are so wrong on that one.

The rest I can't argue with, same old.

If you look at the "new players" in low tiers, most are automated bots going to the usual positions.

Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 24 September 2019 - 09:29 PM.

Interdiction #13 Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2473 battles
I would say beware of Customer support ....

llVIU #14 Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Commander
  • 37987 battles
  • [TKSPG] TKSPG

View PostInterdiction, on 24 September 2019 - 09:49 PM, said:

I would say beware of Customer support ....

that's probably one of the very few things that have been reliable for me. Let me give you a bad example of customer support. I played a game called runescape for many years, then I quit. I found out someone stole my account later. How did they steal it? They sent a ticket for password recovery... he did not know my address, , password, real life name, he gave them some made up ones and he managed to steal it. No, they did not even bother to send an e-mail verification. The e-mail adress name was the only thing that he got right, rest were made-up. And they gave away my account. But the cherry on top... when I came to take it back, I gave the correct old password, correct answers to the secret questions (which the hacker did not give at all), I sent it through my e-mail that I had on that runescape account for so many years, I gave them my real life name, correct address, birthdate and...

they refused to give me my account.

Eventually I managed to take it back, but since 1998, that was absolute, by far, the WORST customer experience I've ever had. Giving away my account to a random idiot who knows the e-mail address, and denying it to the real account owner. An account with so many years of work, and tons of money put into it too, good riddance, I am absolutely not going back to that pile of trash game. They were never great with security, that place had the only forum in history where, if you logged into the forums and shared a web link (like http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/723185-is-world-of-tanks-worth-it/  ) and sent it to someone, then that person would get logged into your account, I am not making it up. No warning for this either. That's how bad their security was. Or still is, who knows.

World of tanks on the other hand? Just this week they helped me remove my old phone number and set up a new one. Put in 2 tickets, they responded quickly. Got it done.

Edited by llVIU, 24 September 2019 - 11:11 PM.

Stevies_Team #15 Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14841 battles

Better value than reading the "news" as its laughingly known nowadays

WoT saved me from the Brexit black hole

LCpl_Jones #16 Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13423 battles

View PostVenatacia, on 24 September 2019 - 09:23 PM, said:

"Hardly any new players". Go play random battles right now, there are so many new players, battles are disgustingly bad.........

the worrying thing is, they're actually rerolls :trollface:

llVIU #17 Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Commander
  • 37987 battles
  • [TKSPG] TKSPG

View PostStevies_Team, on 24 September 2019 - 10:11 PM, said:

WoT saved me from the Brexit black hole

Can you elaborate please?

kubawt112 #18 Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

(...) quit and moved to wot blitz.(...)

There are a lot of things I could say about this, but I'll refrain from doing so, and merely state that it is quite the interesting choice - and request that you'd eloborate on why you found bliss in Blitz. :)

(...). I came back and I see 2 things. People complain, mainly about the same issues. LOTS of complaining, and there's hardly any new players... the game should've gained more and more popularity, it should be easy to find new players and harder to find old players. But I get the feeling that most of the players are just as old here as I am, some even older, I can tell by the join date on these forums.

It feels like new gamers have a better perspective than we do, they look at this game, they see the flaws more clearly and think to themselves ''nope, not worth it'' while we have our ''progress'', a game that we ''grew up with'' so we stick to it.

But is it worth it? Are we having fun? How many of the issues have been fixed since you started playing world of tanks? Team killing, rude people, unfair matches, arty, hacking... it feels like wargaming is aware of this and they keep targeting their products to old players, rather than new ones. Even using us to draw new players in, such as rewards for referring people.

Sounds like they're having a hard time getting new players - and the forums seem less active than in 2014. I don't hear anyone talking about world of tanks anywhere else on the internet or in real life (unlike for example half life, fortnite, overwatch, diablo, starcraft, world of warcraft etc) I don't get the feeling that things are gonna change drastically for the better (just band-aids of ''buy this limited edition tank for this limited time, buy this discount gold'' ) , and I think the game will decline in popularity even further until the day when the cost of keeping the servers is higher than the money flowing in. How many years will that take?

(...)

First off, I'd like to state that I recently read a book that referenced the WoT forums, and hence it cannot be as dead as you think it is.

That aside, there's indeed a fair bit of 'sunk cost' involved, though personally my online friends draw me back, time and time again. The forums remain a relic of the past, a past before Wargaming figured out that using Facebook was more worth their time. One might suggest that the effort put into these platforms may reflect their popularity and importance. I wouldn't, because that would mean calling into question the quality and efficiency of the CMs and moderators present, which I (personally) do not have any issue with whatsoever.

What you (and me) consider issues might however be things that keep people playing.

Which games you hear people talk about might be a result of your age group. I never hear people talk about the games you mentioned (if you don't count the time my mum asked what the [edited] 'Fortnite' meant). I'd wager that the target group of WoT are perhaps not those whose main talking topic is video games, nor is it one which is known for their excessive use of social media, streams, or whatever else, to push it onto others.

How many years it will take is anyone's guess. It's been around for over ten years at this point. I've been on-and-off myself for quite a bit of them (reroll, or something, don't ask), and played quite enough despite realizing what WoT is and how I 'feel' about it.

(...)

Am I wrong?

No, though it makes perfect sense for Wargaming to, well, double down on customers that may not be too critical of that - or too critical of the inherent lack of 'competiveness'.

View PostllVIU, on 24 September 2019 - 11:11 PM, said:

that's probably one of the very few things that have been reliable for me. Let me give you a bad example of customer support. I played a game called runescape for many years, then I quit. I found out someone stole my account later. How did they steal it? They sent a ticket for password recovery... he did not know my address, , password, real life name, he gave them some made up ones and he managed to steal it. No, they did not even bother to send an e-mail verification. The e-mail adress name was the only thing that he got right, rest were made-up. And they gave away my account. But the cherry on top... when I came to take it back, I gave the correct old password, correct answers to the secret questions (which the hacker did not give at all), I sent it through my e-mail that I had on that runescape account for so many years, I gave them my real life name, correct address, birthdate and...

they refused to give me my account.

Eventually I managed to take it back, but since 1998, that was absolute, by far, the WORST customer experience I've ever had. Giving away my account to a random idiot who knows the e-mail address, and denying it to the real account owner. An account with so many years of work, and tons of money put into it too, good riddance, I am absolutely not going back to that pile of trash game. They were never great with security, that place had the only forum in history where, if you logged into the forums and shared a web link (like http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/723185-is-world-of-tanks-worth-it/  ) and sent it to someone, then that person would get logged into your account, I am not making it up. No warning for this either. That's how bad their security was. Or still is, who knows.

World of tanks on the other hand? Just this week they helped me remove my old phone number and set up a new one. Put in 2 tickets, they responded quickly. Got it done.

While my experiences are rather divided, the part of the CS team that deals with 'account issues' are indeed rather capable.

If you want a true test of any customer support, try the part that isn't (in)directly responsible for customer retention. ;)

Lanrefni #19 Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:25 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 34844 battles
Yes.

Balc0ra #20 Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:52 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74420 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

There were topics pointing out the same thing, and asking the same thing when I joined. And we see them now and then from old players that left. And each time there is only one good responce. Time will tell how long it will take. As some predicted it would be dead at this point when I joined.

As for if it's worth it? If it was not, none of us would be here. Most rant or complain because they want the game to be better, not because they hate it and want to leave. I see the same on console and Blitz when I dip into their forums tbh. Mostly two types of complaints. The constant kind like MM, gold and arty that we will see complaints on regardless of what change they see. And the other kind is something I've seen in every single game I've played. Things that makes some come, and others leave for good. Changes, as in complaints that die out after a bit when something new comes. As in anything that makes the game different vs when you joined like wheels, new lines, tier X lights or even tier X arty. Now wheels gets most of the hate. But when I joined it was the French clip guns that would kill the game.

Edited by Balc0ra, 25 September 2019 - 01:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users