Need a word from heavy Tier IX players

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

_GoGen_ #1 Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10075 battles

The question below is mostly aimed at heavy Tier IX players, but other higher tiers are welcome as well.

I'm a mediocre, mostly heavy player, on path to complete the grind from (Russian) IS-3 --> Obj257/T-10 and (German) Tiger II --> E 75.

But, the more I close to this VIII to IX step the more I'm concerned that the quality of gameplay will drop, so I'm in fact considering to stop, go back one Tier and stick to VI/VII range.

Why?

Because there's that constant fear of losing tons of credits, hence not being able to play a lot of battles in a row and gamepace seems to slow down very much "up there". Somehow, I feel more comfortable in paperhull Tiger I or T29 than IS-3 and fear that things will only get worse in IX, where are even more experienced people who know every rock on the map.

Question:

Did any of you now in VIII/IX/X had the same thoughts at some point, or am I putting things in wrong perspective? Re. credits, I'm aware that WoT mechanics are such that you MUST finance high tiers by playing the midfield.... but... if this is like 1:20+ ratio, I'll rather skip IX and X.

Your word from experience is welcome.

Also, please advise...

Which tank should I pursue if I like being on the front line and not shooting from the back:

Russian Obj257, T-10 or German E 75?

Both crews would have have 3/4 perks.

Sorry for long post and thank you for your time and constructive help, I appreciate it!

o7

SuNo_TeSLa #2 Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51153 battles
  • [SWEPH] SWEPH
Good points there, as for those three, i'd say obj 257 if you push actively (a fast non-static one), E75 for solid frontline play (i.e sidescraping).

Dava_117 #3 Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:50 PM

Major General

• 23008 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

All 3 of that tier 9 HT can stay at the front. The difference is how much you can rely on your armour.

T-10 is fast, has good gun handling, but you can't expect many bounces except on turret front.

257 can still be penned frontally, but less reliably if you keep the front aimed at the enemy, while wriggling to deny aim at your LFP. Turret is sturdy too and the side armour may troll less skilled players. Don't expose the sides at 140+mm gun, or you will get overmatched.

E75 has the stronger armour IMO, but need to be angled to work. In the open you should wriggle both turret and hull. Use sidescrape position to hold lines and remember not to keep the turret exposed.

About lower tier gameplay, if you feel better at playing tier 7, just don't sell the tanks and play them. No one force you at higher tier. Keep playing where you like and try higher tier if you feel confident enought. :)

SovietBias #4 Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39076 battles

There is no magic way getting better results in higher tiers than learning it by playing ( and failing for the first couple hundred matches). You'll get better, and with better results, less credits are lost. Naturally, funding your battles through premium time is what WG intends you to do, and so you absolutely should not expect to grind credits playing higher tiers. If you have a premium tank, a 50k profit battle is enough for 2-3 battles of losses in higher tiers (with premium).

With that out of the way, I believe all the tanks you mention are decent tier IXs, and perhaps the 257 is the most forgiving. 

T-10 is the definition of "Heavium". It's maneuverable enough to tag along the medium crowd and contest important positions early in the game, especially with a strong turret. 

Object 257 is slower but ridiculously armored. The tank is not as versatile as T-10, but sometimes you see them siting in the open collecting bounces. Note that for tier IX and X guns, the armor is not that good. However lower tiers struggle a lot with this tank. A bit like Defender. In short,  making mistakes is less painful, and so it is a better vehicle to learn tier IX. It remains effective even when taken to the usual heavy spots to brawl.

E75 is an entirely different animal. It's the slowest of the 3, it's boxy (so enemies in your side have a feast), but rewards good heavy corner skills. The gun is on par with others, and can hold its own against higher tiers. In any case, while the Soviets are better at assaulting, E75 is better at holding important positions.

Edited by SovietBias, 25 September 2019 - 05:54 PM.

ChristOfTheAbyss #5 Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 251 battles
Best advice, stop caring about credits and you'll start enjoying the game far more. IF you run low on them, crind them, but dont worry about them.

nakkipeppu #6 Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:03 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 33650 battles
  • [LGGF] LGGF

View Post_GoGen_, on 25 September 2019 - 06:21 PM, said:

The question below is mostly aimed at heavy Tier IX players, but other higher tiers are welcome as well.

I'm a mediocre, mostly heavy player, on path to complete the grind from (Russian) IS-3 --> Obj257/T-10 and (German) Tiger II --> E 75.

But, the more I close to this VIII to IX step the more I'm concerned that the quality of gameplay will drop, so I'm in fact considering to stop, go back one Tier and stick to VI/VII range.

Why?

Because there's that constant fear of losing tons of credits, hence not being able to play a lot of battles in a row and gamepace seems to slow down very much "up there". Somehow, I feel more comfortable in paperhull Tiger I or T29 than IS-3 and fear that things will only get worse in IX, where are even more experienced people who know every rock on the map.

Question:

Did any of you now in VIII/IX/X had the same thoughts at some point, or am I putting things in wrong perspective? Re. credits, I'm aware that WoT mechanics are such that you MUST finance high tiers by playing the midfield.... but... if this is like 1:20+ ratio, I'll rather skip IX and X.

Also, please advise...

Which tank should I pursue if I like being on the front line and not shooting from the back:

Sorry for long post and thank you for your time and constructive help, I appreciate it!

o7

You should go for the tier9, and play it. And then, if you don't enjoy it, go back to 6 and 7. There's no requirement of any kind for you to play a certain tier or tank, you're free to spend your precious free time in a manner that gives you the most enjoyment.

I'd go for the russian ones personally. I don't enjoy the clunkiness of E75. It's massive upgrade from Tiger II though. Russian heavies just feel flat out more versatile regardless of map or tier.

Alukat123 #7 Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17560 battles
Without premium a few bad tier 9 matches can be a -100k credits pretty quickly... as it goes for me, i have tiger P for credit-grind (5-7k profit in average per match). 

Edited by Alukat123, 25 September 2019 - 06:07 PM.

fwhaatpiraat #8 Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:14 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 60182 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
From those 3 tanks I think the best 'true heavy tank experience' gets delivered by the E75. It is a really nice tank imo. The armor is quite decent, but not close to what it was in the past (tanks had lower penetration values and no excessive gold spam). The gun is really nice, it hits hard and the gun handling is really good.

_GoGen_ #9 Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10075 battles

View Postnakkipeppu, on 25 September 2019 - 06:03 PM, said:

... There's no requirement of any kind for you to play a certain tier or tank, you're free to spend your precious free time in a manner that gives you the most enjoyment...

Would be nice to "complete the goal" and reach X as a reward, but with 48 years on my back I'm slightly worried I'll literally die of old age pursuing that :teethhappy: 

View PostAlukat123, on 25 September 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Without premium a few bad tier 9 matches can be a -100k credits pretty quickly... as it goes for me, i have tiger P for credit-grind (5-7k profit in average per match). 

Heh, that's the cost I was interested in. And guess that's repairs and regular ammo only, not a full clip of gold.

Thanks all!

Edited by _GoGen_, 25 September 2019 - 06:26 PM.

_cro_magnon #10 Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:30 PM

Major

• Player
  • 33359 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Tier 10 is tough, especially now after few years when veterans from top clans will have better experience when fighting against you. Also it's the fact that tier 10 is pretty bad meta vise, getting matches vs 3 arty is a norm not a exception and meeting whole bunch of unbalanced tanks on poorly balanced maps.

But it is important that you get top tier experience if you want to be good at WOT.

fwhaatpiraat #11 Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 60182 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Post_GoGen_, on 25 September 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

Would be nice to "complete the goal" and reach X as a reward

This makes absolutely no sense btw. Tier X balance is horrible, tier 9 is a much better tier actually. Play whatever you like, not what other people like, say or expect from you.

Also, I really like playing the (tier 9) T-10, but it isn't a 'true' heavy like the E75, it's usually described as 'heavium'.

Edited by fwhaatpiraat, 25 September 2019 - 06:40 PM.

GodTank2 #12 Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:52 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8459 battles
  • [RF_] RF_

OBJ 257 is good because it leads into the is-7 and the is-7 is good at a frontline tank.

Tier 9 you wont lose many credits but you wont earn any , most battles you come even unless you have shots loads of gold then you go - .

Tier 10 is where almost every battle is a - for credits except from 1-2 games where you perform very well and make some credits.

Since you have a premium tank you can play that for a bit and grind some credits.

I also advice using small repair / small first aid kit and selling any large kits you get from Merits or missions

_GoGen_ #13 Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:01 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10075 battles

View PostSovietBias, on 25 September 2019 - 05:53 PM, said:

... perhaps the 257 is the most forgiving. 

This sounds very good for someone with only 9k battles.

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 25 September 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

This makes absolutely no sense btw. Tier X balance is horrible.... I really like playing the (tier 9) T-10....

Horrible or not (I respect your first-hand opinion), X does present the final stage. Kind of, if you sit in one of those just once, as a player you must feel certain accomplishment! Maybe.

Right now with 145.000+ Russian points, only 1-click away from obj. 257... huh...

Again thanks for every reply!

1ucky #14 Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 87931 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View Post_GoGen_, on 25 September 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

Why?

Question:

Also, please advise...

o7

I've had similar thoughts at some point, in fact it still feels easier to win battles at lower tiers, guess it's true that competition gets better the higher up you go. Although credit-wise you don't have to worry too much, that 1:20 ratio is about 10 times exaggerated, at least. (As long as you're on premium, and don't miss or bounce with too many HEAT/APCR shots...)

Out of the three Heavies you've mentioned, I'd perhaps pick the Obj.257 nowadays, but they're all good. (If you love speed, pick T-10, if you value thickness/weight pick E75.) Your having 3-4 perks will certainly help a little, no matter what you pick.

To wrap it up, I think it makes sense to go for Tier 9 because you'll learn about how it is from personal experience. Although it's of course a nice idea that you've asked for other peoples opinion, too. In that regard you could also watch a video or two of people playing some Tier 9 tanks on YouTube or twitch, if you've got time to spare.

Anyway, good luck and win a lot! :)

o7

Negativvv #15 Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:21 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14083 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

Meh T10...

The end game is whatever you make it. I consider it 3 Marking decent tanks but it's entirely up to you.

I've got quite a few T10 tanks and even more i could buy but I prefer the MM of T9. Gets better MM and generally the tanks have similar if not the same guns.

Not a fan of HTs at higher tiers as Arty simply punished you for any sort of positive play. Last time I took my E75 out I lost most of my HP to Arty...

SovietBias #16 Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39076 battles

View Post_GoGen_, on 25 September 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

This sounds very good for someone with only 9k battles.

Horrible or not (I respect your first-hand opinion), X does present the final stage. Kind of, if you sit in one of those just once, as a player you must feel certain accomplishment! Maybe.

Right now with 145.000+ Russian points, only 1-click away from obj. 257... huh...

Again thanks for every reply!

May I ask, do you have any Free XP? If so, do not use it for unlocking the tank. Use it to unlock modules like gun, tracks and turret (depending on whether you need tracks to mount other equipment). Tier IX's are the worst stock grinds in the whole game.

_GoGen_ #17 Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10075 battles

View PostSovietBias, on 25 September 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

May I ask, do you have any Free XP? If so, do not use it for unlocking the tank. Use it to unlock modules like gun, tracks and turret (depending on whether you need tracks to mount other equipment). Tier IX's are the worst stock grinds in the whole game.

Atm 145.000 Combat Experience (enough for O.257) + untouched 101.000 Free Experience.

splash_time #18 Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13526 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post_GoGen_, on 25 September 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

Why?

Question:

Also, please advise...

o7

E 75 for sure. Solid lower plate and decent gun at T9.

Edit: E 75 was my first T9, and i was really unskilled, but it was more forgiving than my mistakes. :)

I haven't play them, but as i know, Obj 257 has auto bounce angels, but bad gun depression.

T 10 has a good mobility and gun, but lacks the armour.

And let me mention this, T9 is a good tier to play, because you reach more reliable armour than low tiers (i mean best possible armour at the line and you get T10 gun.)

About credits, since you are concerned about credits, try to buy one T8 premium tank (if you can), to guarantee your positive credits income, if you can't, try to keep a tier 6 or 7 to have positive credits income.

Advices? Try to search this site http://wotreplays.eu and look for your related tank's "Ace" replays, to learn good tips. :)

Edited by splash_time, 25 September 2019 - 07:45 PM.

SovietBias #19 Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39076 battles

View Post_GoGen_, on 25 September 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

Atm 145.000 Combat Experience (enough for O.257) + untouched 101.000 Free Experience.

IMO, using free XP in tier 9's is good use of XP. I haven't played 257 stock, but if you find yourself helpless, consider using some free xp, as it is a long grind.

_GoGen_ #20 Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10075 battles

View Postsplash_time, on 25 September 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

E 75 for sure. Solid lower plate and decent gun at T9.

Thanks! 

A bit thin on the sides lol! Didn't rule this one out, but still 100k points from it, so guess Russian line will do the IX testing.

(Best German crew of 4 perks remains in Tiger I marked "007" tho' ;) )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users