Do you ever, ever.........

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Inappropriate_noob #1 Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:41 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 17506 battles

Learn anything at all from the CC's and streamers?

All I learn is that when I try to emulate them it all goes tits up, nothing ever ever works, and some of the streamers I actually like, even QB

fwhaatpiraat #2 Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:59 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 60163 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Biggest thing you could learn from them is how they (re)position themselves when something happens on the minimap. Just the presence (or absence) of a single tank on the other flank might be the cue for them to push, hold or retreat.

Edited by fwhaatpiraat, 27 September 2019 - 12:00 PM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #3 Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:06 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles
The information is there but the ability to analyze, understand and make use of it is not!

splash_time #4 Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13526 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I learned how to sidescrape when I joined WoT. :D

And what's "CC"?

Baldrickk #5 Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNoobySkooby, on 27 September 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

Learn anything at all from the CC's and streamers?

All I learn is that when I try to emulate them it all goes tits up, nothing ever ever works, and some of the streamers I actually like, even QB

I found watching QB as a new player useless.

He gives some pretty good information,  but what he's not great at is explaining all of the why. He'll explain what he wants to do and how X gets him vloser to that but not what exactly it is that meant that doing X was a good idea over Y or Z.

The key thing is situational awareness.  

I now see what and why in his games (I'm just not as good at putting it into practice/reading it in live games)

For this reason, although a lesser player, I always found Jingles to be a better source when I was a newer player.

For example, this is a game where my situational awareness was operating a bit higher than usual. https://youtu.be/WxtcsC-L_iE

Oh, I still made mistakes, but if I were to go through and analyse everything I was taking in and reacting to, the video would be about three times as long because I'd have to keep stopping it to point out and describe things.

Let's just say that getting behind the Super Conq was NOT just a happy accident.

A good player will watch that video and see what I saw, more or less.

A bad player will probably just see the big numbers and go "Oh lucky"

(And I mean bad as in not paying attention, not poor stats)

I still have the same problem if I watch Circon.

The best videos imho are (despite my disagreeing on playstyle) LemmingRush, he explains what he's thinking and what he's thinks the others are doing quite well, and Zeven, though he seems to have stopped, his replay analysis videos https://www.youtube....WABrOga3edyKx8Y are pure gold.

Edited by Baldrickk, 27 September 2019 - 12:18 PM.

Cobra6 #6 Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16531 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

I learn map positions that way. And by that I mean unorthodox locations you can use in various engagements. Not the standard locations everyone uses.

The rest is something you'll have to develop yourself.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 27 September 2019 - 12:44 PM.

MeetriX #7 Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24362 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

I have learned that unicums can snapshot and hit more often than me.

Unicums can hit&pen cupolas and LFP distance over 100m. Sometimes even sides or Ruskie tanks.

Unicums high roll a lot more often too.

Kartoshkaya #8 Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27468 battles
  • [HAPY-] HAPY-
Lemmingrush is the only one who is capable of teaching anything about this game.

Jauhesammutin #9 Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23669 battles
  • [FAUF] FAUF

View PostBaldrickk, on 27 September 2019 - 11:18 AM, said:

I found watching QB as a new player useless.

He gives some pretty good information,  but what he's not great at is explaining all of the why. He'll explain what he wants to do and how X gets him vloser to that but not what exactly it is that meant that doing X was a good idea over Y or Z.

The key thing is situational awareness.  

I now see what and why in his games (I'm just not as good at putting it into practice/reading it in live games)

For this reason, although a lesser player, I always found Jingles to be a better source when I was a newer player.

For example, this is a game where my situational awareness was operating a bit higher than usual. https://youtu.be/WxtcsC-L_iE

Oh, I still made mistakes, but if I were to go through and analyse everything I was taking in and reacting to, the video would be about three times as long because I'd have to keep stopping it to point out and describe things.

Let's just say that getting behind the Super Conq was NOT just a happy accident.

A good player will watch that video and see what I saw, more or less.

A bad player will probably just see the big numbers and go "Oh lucky"

(And I mean bad as in not paying attention, not poor stats)

I still have the same problem if I watch Circon.

The best videos imho are (despite my disagreeing on playstyle) LemmingRush, he explains what he's thinking and what he's thinks the others are doing quite well, and Zeven, though he seems to have stopped, his replay analysis videos https://www.youtube....WABrOga3edyKx8Y are pure gold.

Watching streams of highly skilled players overall isn't really helping new players. Streamers don't have time to explain every single decision every single time. Sometimes they do it but mostly they just play and talk to the audience. Replays are much better if one needs to learn basic game mechanics.

I also started watching Jingles' videos and through him found about QB and streaming. Back then I thought Jingles was really good. Nowadays he's just too detached from the game. He hasn't even posted his own replays for years, has he?

I think Nooby has major problems with the basic game mechanics rather than situational awareness and whatnot. I would suggest to watch game mechanic video first and then focus on replays. After that he can focus on streamers.

EdvinE20 #10 Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Community Contributor
  • 40395 battles
  • [-AEG-] -AEG-
If it wasn't for streamers/YouTubers like QB, Circon, SirFoch, Dakillzor and many others, I would have stopped playing this game ages ago because I would have gotten tired of getting my [edited]kicked. I watch many CC's to this day and I learn a ton from them in terms of gameplay! :)

the_nebuchadnezzar #11 Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 55247 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
Skill4ltu is a great player and he always explain his action. He open my eyes on so many issues. I regret I didn't discover him earlier.

Baldrickk #12 Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostJauhesammutin, on 27 September 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

Watching streams of highly skilled players overall isn't really helping new players. Streamers don't have time to explain every single decision every single time. Sometimes they do it but mostly they just play and talk to the audience. Replays are much better if one needs to learn basic game mechanics.

I also started watching Jingles' videos and through him found about QB and streaming. Back then I thought Jingles was really good. Nowadays he's just too detached from the game. He hasn't even posted his own replays for years, has he?

I think Nooby has major problems with the basic game mechanics rather than situational awareness and whatnot. I would suggest to watch game mechanic video first and then focus on replays. After that he can focus on streamers.

Knowing game mechanics is overrated. 

You don't need to know the penetration formula to learn where to shoot tanks to pen.

One of the best scout players in my first clan didn't know how the spotting system worked beyond "you spot stuff you can see".

Imho situational awareness trumps all other skills.  (Player skills that is)

But you do need to start at your level and go from there. 

Only Nooby can really know where he is on that front. 

I'd suggest a broad approach regardless, as you're more likely to hit the skill you need the most, and some skills impede/improve others. 

_zzzz_ #13 Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 806 battles
  • [-4O4-] -4O4-

View Postsplash_time, on 27 September 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

And what's "CC"?

Community contributor/s.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #14 Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 26285 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The only thing I want to learn from streamers is how to suck money out of gullible kids.

EdvinE20 #15 Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Community Contributor
  • 40395 battles
  • [-AEG-] -AEG-

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 27 September 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

Skill4ltu is a great player and he always explain his action. He open my eyes on so many issues. I regret I didn't discover him earlier.

Same here. He is one of the first streamers I recommend when people want to learn the game.

Wintermute_1 #16 Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 51435 battles

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 27 September 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

I wouldn't question his knowledge of or skill at the game but I just can't handle his voice. Its like being dragged down a bumpy road by a child on a pogo stick. Bought his parents a car though so he#s probably a nice guy.

Inappropriate_noob #17 Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:12 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 17506 battles

View PostJauhesammutin, on 27 September 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

Watched all of those, armour and all of that, until Heat, HE, or premium ammo is used, armour angling then is a bit useless.

12:18 Added after 5 minute

View PostBaldrickk, on 27 September 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

You don't need to know the penetration formula to learn where to shoot tanks to pen.

One of the best scout players in my first clan didn't know how the spotting system worked beyond "you spot stuff you can see".

I'd suggest a broad approach regardless, as you're more likely to hit the skill you need the most, and some skills impede/improve others. 

I am with you on this one, I still remember the time I had with one forumite in particular, I won't name but he knows who he is, my and another guy had something like two hours or more with him, it was like a physical workout, and was good fun, situational awareness is over anything else my bane above all else, and no matter what-tier from one to ten, that is my real undoing.

Some I play with don't give a rats [edited]about stats, others do, they are the ones I dare not approach.

12:20 Added after 7 minute

View PostEdvinE20, on 27 September 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

Same here. He is one of the first streamers I recommend when people want to learn the game.

Oh he is good, very good, but again like QB, emulation does not work, you see what he does on any given map, enter a battle totally different map, all theory is then out the window.

Baldrickk #18 Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNoobySkooby, on 27 September 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

Watched all of those, armour and all of that, until Heat, HE, or premium ammo is used, armour angling then is a bit useless.

12:18 Added after 5 minute

I am with you on this one, I still remember the time I had with one forumite in particular, I won't name but he knows who he is, my and another guy had something like two hours or more with him, it was like a physical workout, and was good fun, situational awareness is over anything else my bane above all else, and no matter what-tier from one to ten, that is my real undoing.

Some I play with don't give a rats [edited]about stats, others do, they are the ones I dare not approach.

12:20 Added after 7 minute

Oh he is good, very good, but again like QB, emulation does not work, you see what he does on any given map, enter a battle totally different map, all theory is then out the window.

Even on the same map,  if a couple of people go different directions,  it could render that location infeasible.

Without the situational awareness to recognise that, you're just left wondering why it doesn't work for you

FrantisekBascovansky #19 Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32971 battles

View PostKartoshkaya, on 27 September 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

Lemmingrush is the only one who is capable of teaching anything about this game.

Him (although I don't like his reta*ded laughter very much), skill4ltu, and Taugrim from NA.

And Dauntless Tanker used to make some good tutorial vids but is no longer active.

Then, there are some guys you can't learn very much from, but they have solid info&entertaining vids (DezGamez, Jingles, shish, sometimes QB and so on).

Then pure entertainment vids (Claus Kellerman, Honest Gaming).

What I don't like very much? Well, all those (although good players) maxed out 7 skilled crew premium consumables full gold top tier tryhards uploading cherrypicked replays, those whiney narcissist overly hysterical boys (C. comes to mind) and stuff like that.

Jauhesammutin #20 Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23669 battles
  • [FAUF] FAUF

View PostBaldrickk, on 27 September 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

It was more directed directly to Nooby. In some random FL thread he was asking where he can find the rewards/prestiges. So I thought he might not click/read too much and instead just presses "battle".

I was talking about really simple game mechanics like spotting. I've met one guy who didn't know that sixth sense has a 3 second delay. There are still many players who think that they can hit tanks only when they are visible. 

Same works for the spotting your clanmate did. He doesn't need to know how much concealment every tank has, how much concealment bushes give, how much viewrange tanks have, etc.. He only needs to know that bushes give cover, shooting blows your cover and so on.

I didn't watch the "tutorials" until I had already learned the basic game but I had friends who explained me what to do and when.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users