• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Dead_in_30_seconds #1 Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5961 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

'Ello again, itsa me, Mario.

Actually it's not, it's that annoying bloke who never learns.

This post isn't really called for, nor necessary, nor needed/wanted, nor of any real use to anyone, but I felt like summarising my journey so far, so I'm gonna.

After what seems like an eternity since I first availed myself of the amazing help offered on 'Noobs do's and dont's....', I actually feel like I'm making progress.

This post was originally prompted by a thought that I had seen a change in the player base over the last few months, but then I thought, maybe it hasn't, maybe I'm simply viewing things differently.

Let's put some baselines in.

Im a handful shy of 5000 battles. My WR is 51.76, with a WG rating of 3915 (a delightful shade of orange). More often than not, I can complete a session with a decent(ish) WR, and I get my Fire for Effect the majority of the time. I've even been known to carry the odd game.

I don't play higher than T6, because I recognise my limitations. I'm (guilty?) of only playing the tanks I enjoy, and I load Gold when I'm facing higher tier meds and heavies. By and large, I make a net credit gain, although I fully accept the criticism I've received for sometimes firing APCR when AP would have done the job.

So what differences are you talking about Dead? Well, since you ask, not that anyone did it's probably just the 'voices', I'll tell you.

I have noticed a trend, and this applies to 20k+ battle veterans as well, that the use of the mini-map seems to be completely missing. I have witnessed many times, hence the use of the word trend, that players now seem to have absolutely no idea of threat, potential threat, weak flanks, choke points, perimeter defence, lines of sight, strategic relocation, escape routes, hard/soft cover, passive vs active spotting, flanking, hull down or 15+ metres behind a bush. Basically the norm seems to be to adopt a sociopathic aversion to team-work or anything that may otherwise result in a win.

The team-work thing I get. This is a team game simply by the virtue that there are 14 other people in green, and I've never believed it possible that you could get the type of cohesiveness required, given the social, intellectual and language differences.

Maybe it's not a trend, maybe I just notice it more these days.

Let's be fair, I am also guilty of playing like an idiot sometimes, but generally, especially with an apparent increase in the amount of 'tooned players in a game, most of whom seem to be trying to beat my 30 seconds, the understanding of the game seems to be declining.

What do you think? Has the average level of ability dropped?

This game isn't pay to win. All we'd have to do as a team, is to think about it a bit more. Our collective WR's would go up loads, at least until the rest of the world cottened on.

One last thing before I sign off. Please could you stop shooting me up the exhaust pipe 5 seconds into the game? It gets a bit annoying after a while.

Regards and respects, as always.

DiTS

XxKuzkina_MatxX #2 Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:14 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

It is uncalled for but a nice read nonetheless. :)

As much as teamwork is nice and can lead to fantastic battles. Sometimes teamwork can also kill you so please keep that in mind.

Dead_in_30_seconds #3 Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5961 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 28 September 2019 - 04:14 PM, said:

It is uncalled for but a nice read nonetheless. :)

As much as teamwork is nice and can lead to fantastic battles. Sometimes teamwork can also kill you so please keep that in mind.

Just had a look at your stats.

I may very well start a new religion with you as our deity. :great:

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 28 September 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

Just had a look at your stats.

I may very well start a new religion with you as our deity. :great:

Oi, no making fun of old Kuzkina now. :angry:

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 28 September 2019 - 05:26 PM.

xx984 #5 Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:34 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 66612 battles
  • [HOOT] HOOT

In 63k Games, I can count on both hands i've been able to communicate properly at the end with a team mate and pull the battle back into a victory. 

Proper teamwork is rare, But you also rarely forget the few times it does happen.

As for the whole minimap thing. Every day i have more and more reason to believe people just play after pressing V or M :(

Dead_in_30_seconds #6 Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5961 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 28 September 2019 - 04:24 PM, said:

Oi, no making fun of old Kuzkina now. :angry:

Not making fun, just appreciative of anyone who has mastered the game to the extent you have. :)

Babbet_1 #7 Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14959 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Nice read there Mr DITS!  And I wholeheartedly agree that a little more attention to the mini-map would reap huge rewards! Or maybe the problem is not so much lack of attention, but failure to read and interpret? As a camping old Fart of very limited ability and slow reactions (hence I have learned to keep myself out of the front line!), I do have more time than many to study the map, and I have come to the conclusion that it's often what you can't see, rather than what's visible, which is of major importance, and which many players don't seem to grasp. The ability to count up to 15 is a great skill to have when assessing where the missing red dots might be! Unfortunately that ability seems to be largely confined to the constant map pingers (usually dead) who, on account of their annoying habit, tend to get ignored!

Dead_in_30_seconds #8 Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5961 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Don't over-ping

it's not a thing

that makes other people jealous

It just annoys

us tanker boys

with clicking over-zealous

So stop and quit

this bad habit

you make us want to throw up

Or else we'll find ya

and somehow blind ya

until you learn to grow up

SiliconSidewinder #9 Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:36 PM

General

• Player
  • 29319 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postxx984, on 28 September 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

In 63k Games, I can count on both hands i've been able to communicate properly at the end with a team mate and pull the battle back into a victory. 

Proper teamwork is rare, But you also rarely forget the few times it does happen.

maybe you are expecting to much?

cause I see a lot of teamplay.

Gruff_ #10 Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24268 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I like to call toons "sanity toons" these days,I don't enjoy solo randoms,  I doubt my toon mates think the same however as I'm often the first to die as I'm not averse to risk, try for early damage/spots and push to try and get aggressive map control / momentum going. 

Apart from when in arty or a passive scout I'm very impatient I look at the minimap often but can tunnel vision when in an engagement.  I think the teams are similar to before, probable less typed info though, I ping and type what hit me if the tanks not spotted if able  there is still teamwork out there but also still base camping heavies and scouts parked next to arty from the start and the frustrating ones that don't take advantage of outnumbered targets or share hp.  A mixed bag as normal :)

Dead_in_30_seconds #11 Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5961 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Tunnel vision is still one of my biggest failings that I try desperately to eradicate. Sitting still, waiting to see which one of us reloads first, desperate for the one kill, is a thoroughly DiTS'y trait.

Another thing that has only just dawned on me, is the childish notion that, if I can't see them, they can't see me. Quite often I was hit whilst in a position I was sure was shielding me from fire. I'm ashamed to say, that it only recently filtered into one of my 3 remaining brain cells, that the top of my turret sticks up a lot further than my viewport.

Impatience is also something I can identify with, tho' I have largely grown out of any sort of suicidal rushing that plagued my early games.

One element of team-play which I feel is lacking, is the willingness of Meds and Heavies to soak up a bit of damage to allow others to flank/engage. I suppose it goes against our natural survival instinct.

Thanks for your thoughts. I always appreciate valuable time taken to post, by players with considerably more battles/experience/skill than myself.

Babbet_1 #12 Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14959 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 29 September 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

Don't over-ping

it's not a thing

that makes other people jealous

It just annoys

us tanker boys

with clicking over-zealous

So stop and quit

this bad habit

you make us want to throw up

Or else we'll find ya

and somehow blind ya

until you learn to grow up

But a single ping

Might be just the thing

To make someone realise

That in that square

May be lurking there

Our enemies or their spies

So the message is clear

For all to hear

One ping can help many a tanker

But when abused

Or over used

It shows you up as a w@nker!

Evilier_than_Skeletor #13 Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21678 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostBabbet_1, on 29 September 2019 - 08:12 AM, said:

The ability to count up to 15 is a great skill to have when assessing where the missing red dots might be! Unfortunately that ability seems to be largely confined to the constant map pingers (usually dead) who, on account of their annoying habit, tend to get ignored!

For like maths and you know all that numbers stuff there is Excel. For finding missing enemies there is Settings -> General: Enable expanded minimap features: Always.

Most of the time the missing ones will be arty is designated arty bushes and tds in designated camp spots.

Babbet_1 #14 Posted 29 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14959 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 29 September 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

For like maths and you know all that numbers stuff there is Excel. For finding missing enemies there is Settings -> General: Enable expanded minimap features: Always.

Most of the time the missing ones will be arty is designated arty bushes and tds in designated camp spots.

Yeah, agreed, but that doesn't help much with those that have been spotted but then go invisible again - especially the fast ones towards the end of a game - they can be anywhere, and at that stage it's a help to be able to count the spotted ones. And yes, I may be old and decrepit, but I don't yet need Excel to help me do simple arithmetic! :)

Tommy_Atkins_Teapot #15 Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24858 battles

Hi DITS,

Tunnel vision is my biggest fault, as well as a complete disregard for my well being.

I will happily trade some HP in a team effort to hold a corner/choke point, especially when you can see the other flank having an advantage.

Will happily suicide attack an opponent to distract him in the hope a fellow teammate can take him out for the win.

Perhaps this recklessness is the main reason for my tomato/teapot stats, and i must admit to feeling pi$$ed off at times with the thought processes going on in my head, and repeatedly getting the same bad result.

Maybe a closet teapot masochist:playing:

By the way, arse to the wall should fix that exhaust problem, or kemp bush;)

Regards

Tommy

Evilier_than_Skeletor #16 Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21678 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostBabbet_1, on 29 September 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

Yeah, agreed, but that doesn't help much with those that have been spotted but then go invisible again - especially the fast ones towards the end of a game - they can be anywhere, and at that stage it's a help to be able to count the spotted ones. And yes, I may be old and decrepit, but I don't yet need Excel to help me do simple arithmetic! :)

I need Excel or Post-its for pretty much everything :( But luckily not in tanks. Not only is there the counter for both teams at the top, but also team lists. I can check the list for remaining enemies and who is accounted for on the map. Those that have not been spotted at all tend to be arty and camping tds. They'll probably be in the most obvious place. The ones that have been spotted but are not currently, are more often than not at the exact spot where last seen or very close to it.

Babbet_1 #17 Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14959 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 29 September 2019 - 07:58 PM, said:

I need Excel or Post-its for pretty much everything :( But luckily not in tanks. Not only is there the counter for both teams at the top, but also team lists. I can check the list for remaining enemies and who is accounted for on the map. Those that have not been spotted at all tend to be arty and camping tds. They'll probably be in the most obvious place. The ones that have been spotted but are not currently, are more often than not at the exact spot where last seen or very close to it.

I think we're using slightly different methods to (hopefully) achieve the same result. One thing we seem to be in agreement on though, is the fundamental importance of the mini-map. It's just a pity that more players (with no doubt better reactions and more basic aptitude than I've got) fail to understand that, but hey-ho, that's WoT for you! :)

LordMuffin #18 Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 53791 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 28 September 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

'Ello again, itsa me, Mario.

Actually it's not, it's that annoying bloke who never learns.

This post isn't really called for, nor necessary, nor needed/wanted, nor of any real use to anyone, but I felt like summarising my journey so far, so I'm gonna.

After what seems like an eternity since I first availed myself of the amazing help offered on 'Noobs do's and dont's....', I actually feel like I'm making progress.

This post was originally prompted by a thought that I had seen a change in the player base over the last few months, but then I thought, maybe it hasn't, maybe I'm simply viewing things differently.

Let's put some baselines in.

Im a handful shy of 5000 battles. My WR is 51.76, with a WG rating of 3915 (a delightful shade of orange). More often than not, I can complete a session with a decent(ish) WR, and I get my Fire for Effect the majority of the time. I've even been known to carry the odd game.

I don't play higher than T6, because I recognise my limitations. I'm (guilty?) of only playing the tanks I enjoy, and I load Gold when I'm facing higher tier meds and heavies. By and large, I make a net credit gain, although I fully accept the criticism I've received for sometimes firing APCR when AP would have done the job.

So what differences are you talking about Dead? Well, since you ask, not that anyone did it's probably just the 'voices', I'll tell you.

I have noticed a trend, and this applies to 20k+ battle veterans as well, that the use of the mini-map seems to be completely missing. I have witnessed many times, hence the use of the word trend, that players now seem to have absolutely no idea of threat, potential threat, weak flanks, choke points, perimeter defence, lines of sight, strategic relocation, escape routes, hard/soft cover, passive vs active spotting, flanking, hull down or 15+ metres behind a bush. Basically the norm seems to be to adopt a sociopathic aversion to team-work or anything that may otherwise result in a win.

The team-work thing I get. This is a team game simply by the virtue that there are 14 other people in green, and I've never believed it possible that you could get the type of cohesiveness required, given the social, intellectual and language differences.

Maybe it's not a trend, maybe I just notice it more these days.

Let's be fair, I am also guilty of playing like an idiot sometimes, but generally, especially with an apparent increase in the amount of 'tooned players in a game, most of whom seem to be trying to beat my 30 seconds, the understanding of the game seems to be declining.

What do you think? Has the average level of ability dropped?

This game isn't pay to win. All we'd have to do as a team, is to think about it a bit more. Our collective WR's would go up loads, at least until the rest of the world cottened on.

One last thing before I sign off. Please could you stop shooting me up the exhaust pipe 5 seconds into the game? It gets a bit annoying after a while.

Regards and respects, as always.

DiTS

As for teamplay, it is possible to achieve in other team games (LoL, Dota 2, SC2 etc) with same language barriers. So the lack thereof in WoT probably comes from the issue that very few of WoTs players actually know there is a test they can play with.

As for this part.

"I have noticed a trend, and this applies to 20k+ battle veterans as well, that the use of the mini-map seems to be completely missing. I have witnessed many times, hence the use of the word trend, that players now seem to have absolutely no idea of threat, potential threat, weak flanks, choke points, perimeter defence, lines of sight, strategic relocation, escape routes, hard/soft cover, passive vs active spotting, flanking, hull down or 15+ metres behind a bush. Basically the norm seems to be to adopt a sociopathic aversion to team-work or anything that may otherwise result in a win."

nothing new, probably due to you improving. It have been this way as long as I can remember.

WoT is a game where you have 14 team mates committing random actions and are plying against 15 enemies committing random actions.

lotusblossom #19 Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:08 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34794 battles
  • [BRT_6] BRT_6

After 7 years and 30k+ games played I have come to realise that apart from always being like that I recognise that it isn't going to change. Random games are going to be filled with random people doing random things. Rarely will there be even a thought of teamplay unless platoons are involved.

facmanpob #20 Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4917 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
I was playing on Glacier the other night (SW spawn) and found myself alone on the south eastern road. As I neared one of the corners (which experience told me was the place I would meet the enemy) I pinged our arty, then pinged the map square next to mine.

A few seconds later one of the SPGs indicated he was targeting the area, so I poked round and spotted 3 enemies. Over the next few minutes our arty pounded the bejeezus out of the enemies I was spotting whilst the enemy arty ignored me.

By the simple expedient of a click or two we managed to coordinate our actions i.e. teamwork! Clearly no one on the enemy team thought to alert their arty to my presence...

I made sure to thank both of the SPG players for being on the ball. Teamwork is possible, but it takes a bit of work!

Also tagged with Noobs, Tips, DiTS, Newbie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users