Jump to content


Is T28 the worst tier 8 tank destroyer?


  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

LIL_Veky #1 Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:34 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 13932 battles
  • 163
  • [BTU] BTU
  • Member since:
    10-31-2015

So I've been playing T28 for about a week and I've noticed that its F****NG GOD AWFUL.

Is there ANY reason for this tank to have such $HITE stock grind??? *198* pen at the SECOND gun??

Also, the armor is fricking GARBAGE, its supposed to be assault tank but T28 is at its worst when its assaulting..

And another thing...TS-5 is better in LITTERALLY EVERY SINGLE way, like its comical, its supposed to be more accurate than ts-5 but in fact its utter trash at sniping.

 

What is the point of this tank?

 

have a nice evening people!



Steiner011 #2 Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:35 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 43583 battles
  • 1,616
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB
  • Member since:
    10-09-2012
AC48.

Neodymium9 #3 Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:42 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 19986 battles
  • 220
  • Member since:
    04-06-2017

View PostLIL_Veky, on 03 October 2019 - 10:34 PM, said:

 

What is the point of this tank?

Free xp sink



LIL_Veky #4 Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:44 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 13932 battles
  • 163
  • [BTU] BTU
  • Member since:
    10-31-2015

View PostSteiner011, on 03 October 2019 - 10:35 PM, said:

AC48.

Its atleast good for its role, sniper. and has a autoloader which is at least interesting



XxKuzkina_MatxX #5 Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:50 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 53231 battles
  • 5,631
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

It's one of the better tier 8 TDs and it leads to one of the best TDs in the game tier for tier, the T95. That's the point of it.

 

"its supposed to be assault tank but T28 is at its worst when its assaulting"

 

Depends on what you're assaulting really and how are you executing that. Same tier tanks will have little trouble going through your armor if they're firing gold or have enough standard pen (TDs). Higher tier tanks will point their guns at some flat spot and pen. The point is to pick your fights carefully and try to keep some distance so your armor is relevant and your weak spots (cupolas) are safe.

 

The 120mm guns in this game are usually very good and this particular gun is very responsive, accurate enough and got plenty of pen on both rounds. I disagree that the TS-5 is the better tank but that isn't the issue here if i understand you correctly.

 

Give yourself some time and you'll love the tank. It's slow but you can use that to your advantage because it gives you time to assess the situation carefully and make the right move. You aren't rushing into a trap with this thing.



Balc0ra #6 Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:04 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 74388 battles
  • 21,280
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

I had little love for it back in the day when I did grind it. Tho then it had 1100 HP and slower traverse. T95 works as you have 750 alpha when you finally get up front to scare most away. And the T95 is worth the pain for the T28. But no one says "oh crap a T28" anymore. As that cupola is still easier to bully vs the T95. Speed killed both T28s for me too. Either you get all the damage, or nothing as you can't keep up with the landslide game when your team swarms. Tho like the T95 they still are strong on urban maps, so they still have their roles.

 

And in the turret and speed meta the Charioteer is just way better anyway for my taste. So I sold of my T28s. 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Negativvv #7 Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:38 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 14083 battles
  • 2,089
  • [KEKE] KEKE
  • Member since:
    08-08-2015

Lots of gash T8 tanks.

 

T69

 

Tiger 2

 

TVP

 

WG want you to either spend FXP or suffer I guess. 



XxKuzkina_MatxX #8 Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:14 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 53231 battles
  • 5,631
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

Okay, so this is supposed to be the best tier 8 TD...

 

Skorpion G

 

Note that it doesn't have a stock grind and people tend to be more liberal with gold ammo in a premium than in a standard tank. It's also fast and got a turret to go with the "meta"!

 

This is also one of my favorites...

 

Charioteer

 

Standard tank not a premium and got a horrible stock grind. It's also fast and turreted.

 

How about the slow lumbering T28 with its dysfunctional armor and no turret?

 

T28

 

Waat? Now i'd love more of these XP sinks added to the game especially in the french and german lines.

 

The above curve shows the effectiveness of the tank in battles. It isn't meant to condemn you as a player, just to remove the individual performance of the equation. You might not like the play style, the slowness of the tank or just need time to get used to it but the tank itself is doing fine.


Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 04 October 2019 - 12:59 AM.


Evilier_than_Skeletor #9 Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 21088 battles
  • 826
  • [TSOP] TSOP
  • Member since:
    02-05-2016
If you remove a lot of T28's armor, make it unable to hit anything above 100m and reduce gun dep you end with SU-101.. :P

Inappropriate_noob #10 Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:44 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 17506 battles
  • 5,354
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011
I hated mine. ground up through it and sold it quick as, ages ago, then recently I got it back, and now sort of like it

Hammerhead20 #11 Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:02 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 30135 battles
  • 2,227
  • Member since:
    06-29-2011

Chinese tier VIII WZ-111-1G Ft is probably the worst one...

 

Trash mobility, trash armour, literally anything positive about this vehicle...

 

I simply can't make it work...

 

Still, I need to unlock the top gun (560 alpha damage).

 

But I'm not really enjoying this one... Maybe the last gun will make the grind a bit "easier"... 



tajj7 #12 Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:14 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 28447 battles
  • 16,705
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

As Kuzkina showed it's actually OP, same with the T95, both tanks were overbuffed and coupled with the meta being too favourable to them means they are just too strong.

 

TS-5 as well. and Tortoise.

 

Sadly the small corridor/city maps or the OP base camping positions on the more open maps means that the weaknesses of these tanks (speed, lack of turret) is not easy to exploit because map design makes them very hard to flank, either you literally can't because the map is a corridor with 1-2 flanks, or because these tanks infest those OP TD ledges that every map has, where they have elevation, hard cover, concealment and are approached by open ground from every direction, and their armour is so good that even if they do get spotted the vast majority of shots will bounce. 

 

These things are going to be obscene IMO when the premium ammo changes go through. 



8126Jakobsson #13 Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:50 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 80858 battles
  • 5,620
  • Member since:
    12-20-2014

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 04 October 2019 - 12:14 AM, said:

Okay, so this is supposed to be the best tier 8 TD...

 

Skorpion G

 

Note that it doesn't have a stock grind and people tend to be more liberal with gold ammo in a premium than in a standard tank. It's also fast and got a turret to go with the "meta"!

 

It looks quite good for people that can actually play. But it doesn't have any armour so naturally it will look rather meh/weak the lower you go. A well-armoured turd will always* look better overall on a WR curve compared to paper excellency.

 

*ok that's just a feel I have



Dramya #14 Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 15650 battles
  • 256
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

View Posttajj7, on 04 October 2019 - 10:14 AM, said:

As Kuzkina showed it's actually OP, same with the T95, both tanks were overbuffed and coupled with the meta being too favourable to them means they are just too strong.

 

TS-5 as well. and Tortoise.

 

Sadly the small corridor/city maps or the OP base camping positions on the more open maps means that the weaknesses of these tanks (speed, lack of turret) is not easy to exploit because map design makes them very hard to flank, either you literally can't because the map is a corridor with 1-2 flanks, or because these tanks infest those OP TD ledges that every map has, where they have elevation, hard cover, concealment and are approached by open ground from every direction, and their armour is so good that even if they do get spotted the vast majority of shots will bounce. 

 

These things are going to be obscene IMO when the premium ammo changes go through. 

 

I wouldn't call the T28 OP just because of the winrates. I think this tank starts to shine in the hands of a better-then-average player but is utter crap in the hands of the average Joe.

 

The T28 has a learning curve, you need to understand what you can but most importantly what you can not do, and you need to make the right decisions before the enemy starts to make a play. This means experience and map-knowledge to make informed decisions, once you are committed there is usually no turning back. Also you need to know what tanks can reliably pen you and which can't. You can tank most Tier 8 with a bit of wiggling as long as they don't shoot gold, and even then you can bounce a fair amount because of the sloped armor.

 

I think the winratio of this tank reflects the playerbase that plays this tank for more then a few battles before rage-selling it because it "stinks" :P

 



tajj7 #15 Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:03 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 28447 battles
  • 16,705
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

View PostDramya, on 04 October 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

 

I wouldn't call the T28 OP just because of the winrates. I think this tank starts to shine in the hands of a better-then-average player but is utter crap in the hands of the average Joe.

 

The T28 has a learning curve, you need to understand what you can but most importantly what you can not do, and you need to make the right decisions before the enemy starts to make a play. This means experience and map-knowledge to make informed decisions, once you are committed there is usually no turning back. Also you need to know what tanks can reliably pen you and which can't. You can tank most Tier 8 with a bit of wiggling as long as they don't shoot gold, and even then you can bounce a fair amount because of the sloped armor.

 

I think the winratio of this tank reflects the playerbase that plays this tank for more then a few battles before rage-selling it because it "stinks" :P

 

 

It makes pretty much all players at all skill levels over perform, that is the definition of OP.

 

It's clearly not 'crap in the hands of the average joe' because a 48% overall win rate player is achieving nearly a 51% WR in the tank, so the tank is basically making the player perform better than he usually does, hence OP.

 

 



XxKuzkina_MatxX #16 Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 53231 battles
  • 5,631
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

View Post8126Jakobsson, on 04 October 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

It looks quite good for people that can actually play. But it doesn't have any armour so naturally it will look rather meh/weak the lower you go. A well-armoured turd will always* look better overall on a WR curve compared to paper excellency.

 

*ok that's just a feel I have

 

Yep, i wasn't trying to use those graphs to show which one is the better tank. There is however a recurring theme with these win rate curves, "some armor is needed" especially among TDs. Mediums win rate curves for the most part don't show this effect.

 

It could be a win rate vs. wn8 analogy or just having the right combination of stats to win battles (armor - DPM - HP). I don't know for sure but it's hard to dismiss. The Skorpion of course is much more flexible, got a better gun with less DPM, less HP, no armor and indeed more enjoyable to play. Maybe that's the reason, we can't have too much fun and win at the same time. :)



Mimos_A #17 Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:39 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 29227 battles
  • 2,465
  • [SPESH] SPESH
  • Member since:
    05-30-2015

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 04 October 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

 

Yep, i wasn't trying to use those graphs to show which one is the better tank. There is however a recurring theme with these win rate curves, "some armor is needed" especially among TDs. Mediums win rate curves for the most part don't show this effect.

 

It could be a win rate vs. wn8 analogy or just having the right combination of stats to win battles (armor - DPM - HP). I don't know for sure but it's hard to dismiss. The Skorpion of course is much more flexible, got a better gun with less DPM, less HP, no armor and indeed more enjoyable to play. Maybe that's the reason, we can't have too much fun and win at the same time. :)

 

Armour allows you to get away with more mistakes, especially against lower tiers. So it's no surprise worse players do better in vehicles with armour. Most not-so-great players will probably sit in the same old td locations in paper td's, just waiting till their team either wins or loses, having no idea what to do in the meantime, because the time they left their spot they drove through the open and got deleted. I mean, just the mere thought that when the last tanks on your team are one-shots and your WT IV is on full hp, you can massively help in achieving victory by taking a shot doesn't occur to these kinda players, all they think is "paper td never gets spotted or shot".



tajj7 #18 Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 28447 battles
  • 16,705
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

View PostMimos_A, on 04 October 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

I mean, just the mere thought that when the last tanks on your team are one-shots and your WT IV is on full hp, you can massively help in achieving victory by taking a shot doesn't occur to these kinda players, all they think is "paper td never gets spotted or shot".

 

Often the tank they are in is not the problem, I find many players don't get that you don't take HP into the next game, its a resource to be spent. I was last night in the Cent 7/1, had a Type 4 and 257 with me, we were battling a T-10, an E75 and a 263, I killed the E75 pretty much myself, and most of the T-10 (who was a lot further back) and had 600 hit points left, the Type and 257 were both full HP but it still took like a full 2 minutes of me badgering them to push into the 263 and take the hits before they actually did it. 

 

Many players just won't take hits, there seems to be a mindset that if they just hide they will do ok. (which granted on some stupid maps with those OP base camping spots is probably right). 

 


Edited by tajj7, 04 October 2019 - 10:46 AM.


Mimos_A #19 Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:51 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 29227 battles
  • 2,465
  • [SPESH] SPESH
  • Member since:
    05-30-2015

View Posttajj7, on 04 October 2019 - 10:45 AM, said:

 

Often the tank they are in is not the problem, I find many players don't get that you don't take HP into the next game, its a resource to be spent. I was last night in the Cent 7/1, had a Type 4 and 257 with me, we were battling a T-10, an E75 and a 263, I killed the E75 pretty much myself, and most of the T-10 (who was a lot further back) and had 600 hit points left, the Type and 257 were both full HP but it still took like a full 2 minutes of me badgering them to push into the 263 and take the hits before they actually did it. 

 

Many players just won't take hits, there seems to be a mindset that if they just hide they will do ok. (which granted on some stupid maps with those OP base camping spots is probably right). 

 


True that, a lot of players seem to be incapable of finding a middle road between going ham and not getting hit. But paper td's really amplify this as it is their "role" to stay hidden.



Toni112007 #20 Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 11166 battles
  • 768
  • Member since:
    11-18-2013
I like it. Played about 25~ games in it and about 2100 average damage. For some reason its much better for me than the premium TS-5.

Edited by Toni112007, 04 October 2019 - 10:54 AM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users