Black Prince is quite horrible

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

strv_varjager #1 Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:19 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5655 battles

As topic stated the tank Black Prince is quite horrible, in a strict tier 7 matchmaking it can work out atleast armor wise still i have a hard time doing any real damage with its bb gun. When bottom tier against tier 8 and 9's its basically unplayable and thats the most common matchup. The armor is nothing special and the bb gun is utterly useless and its slow top speed, yeah its a joke.

I just have to talk about the speed of this thing, in some games im so slow that i never catch up to the fight. Cause when i arrive to the place im supposed to be in they have already advanced. I've had games where all i do is trying to catch up, ending with never firing my gun or even spotting a enemy tank in my line of sight. And that brings me to another scenario, since the tank is so slow i can never ever help the team finish up the remaning enemy tanks and farm some extra xp/credits which makes the grind even slower.

As i stated earlier the armor is actually quite good but its bb gun its horrible and the dpm is useless since most tanks shoots then take cover and wait for reload. Should i rush them with the slowest heavy in tier 7 to shoot them twice for the same damage they do when they pen me once.

I dont think the armor makes up for the weird tracks, slow speed and bb gun, a balanced tank should atleast be good/decent at two things to give it a clear purpose.

Miepie #2 Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4753 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Poststrv_varjager, on 04 October 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

As topic stated the tank Black Prince is quite horrible, in a strict tier 7 matchmaking it can work out atleast armor wise still i have a hard time doing any real damage with its bb gun. When bottom tier against tier 8 and 9's its basically unplayable and thats the most common matchup. The armor is nothing special and the bb gun is utterly useless and its slow top speed, yeah its a joke.

I just have to talk about the speed of this thing, in some games im so slow that i never catch up to the fight. Cause when i arrive to the place im supposed to be in they have already advanced. I've had games where all i do is trying to catch up, ending with never firing my gun or even spotting a enemy tank in my line of sight. And that brings me to another scenario, since the tank is so slow i can never ever help the team finish up the remaning enemy tanks and farm some extra xp/credits which makes the grind even slower.

As i stated earlier the armor is actually quite good but its bb gun its horrible and the dpm is useless since most tanks shoots then take cover and wait for reload. Should i rush them with the slowest heavy in tier 7 to shoot them twice for the same damage they do when they pen me once.

I dont think the armor makes up for the weird tracks, slow speed and bb gun, a balanced tank should atleast be good/decent at two things to give it a clear purpose.

Bulldog_Drummond #3 Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33576 battles

View Poststrv_varjager, on 04 October 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

The British heavy line at tiers 5, 6 and 7 is notoriously poor these days.  Not much to be done except grit your teeth or use free exp

Back in the day the Black Prince was quite effective if angled heavily.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

Best advice i can think of is to be patient and use a lot of gold.

Slow tanks can't go chase damage so you often have to wait for an opportunity. Wait for someone to show his tracks or drive wheel, burn his repair kit and perma-track him.

Low alpha guns with high rate of fire can be lethal because you're always loaded. You need the enemy to feel safe and leave cover to open ground.

When bottom tier or against armored heavies don't be shy to spam gold. It'll pay off in the long run with wins and more XP.

Always try to hide your hull. Sidescraping in cities works very well and you have 8° of gun depression so you can use small hills and mounds to only show your turret.

Neodymium9 #5 Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19986 battles

Churchill 7,black prince are designed to be free xped,nothing to write home about them.

Thlurp #6 Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14491 battles
  • [JORM] JORM
yep, I free expeded the black prince half way through the grind, very painful

pecopad #7 Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29765 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

Actually not a bad tank IMHO, I enjoyed playing it.

And if you look at the tank curves, its one of the best performing British heavy tanks,actually the best for below 50% wr players.

Not a very good tank for good players, but pretty noob friendly.

Edited by pecopad, 04 October 2019 - 02:52 PM.

Xandania #8 Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44057 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

View Postpecopad, on 04 October 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

Actually not a bad tank IMHO, I enjoyed playing it.

And if you look at the tank curves, its one of the best performing British heavy tanks,actually the best for below 50% wr players.

Not a very good tank for good players, but pretty noob friendly.

I concur. The low speed will make everyone live longer and die later - and if top or mid tier it is a viable battering ram able to push forwards and gain terrain and spots for the team. Its pew-pew gun is nice for tracking enemies and keeping them tracked. I'd call it a great frontline-support tank - only really in the second row when up against tier 9 or certain tier 8 tds.

Aaaaand I've seen some bottom tiered princes fare really well as snipers due to the quite precise gun.

WhoCares01 #9 Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23477 battles

Grinded the line a few months ago - 58% WR on BP - OP, needs nerf!

:P

As opposed to 35% on Super Conqueror - needs serious buff immediately!!! :child:

Edited by WhoCares01, 04 October 2019 - 03:20 PM.

fwhaatpiraat #10 Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 60163 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Poststrv_varjager, on 04 October 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

I agree. It's so unfun to play.

Balc0ra #11 Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74388 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Speed and gum combo killed this off for me. Armor is actually good on it after they fixed the early armor holes in it, and it can hold a corner rather well. I would not mind the speed it that gun fired faster. As 2.1K dpm with BIA, vents and rammer is a bit to low with that alpha IMO. It's why I liked the A45 more. 300 more DPM is not much, but that 3.6 sec reload vs 4.1 made all the differnce some fights.

strv_varjager #12 Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:30 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5655 battles

Black Prince might actually be the tank i performed overall best in, i dont think i've been this effecient with armor on any other tank. But i feel hindered in the tank. Before yesterdays session i had 54% winrate now 52% but i was bottom tier most of the games.

I feel like my average play in the BP is good but my top play is really low, honestly i dont think i've had a top play in it. I didnt need gold ammo to ace my tiger 2 in a all tier 8 matchmaking but im not even close to ace my BP when im top tier, actually the best i've done so far in BP is master badge 2.

I wouldnt say tiger 2 is easier to play than BP.

pecopad #13 Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:01 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29765 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostXandania, on 04 October 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

I concur. The low speed will make everyone live longer and die later - and if top or mid tier it is a viable battering ram able to push forwards and gain terrain and spots for the team. Its pew-pew gun is nice for tracking enemies and keeping them tracked. I'd call it a great frontline-support tank - only really in the second row when up against tier 9 or certain tier 8 tds.

Aaaaand I've seen some bottom tiered princes fare really well as snipers due to the quite precise gun.

Good tank for a bad players, that's why I liked it.. quite bouncy and slow and pew pew to the meds who think the BP is an easy prey.

Not a good tank for good players, I agree,but still it was a very nice surprise and easy grind.

Most OP tank for bad players, just look at the curve. 42% overall have 46.6% wr in the BP...

Edited by pecopad, 04 October 2019 - 04:08 PM.

TankkiPoju #14 Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 23978 battles

I like to compare Black Prince to IS.

IS is faster, more agile, still has decent armor, has actually better DPM and penetration than BP despite having 390 alpha and BP has 150.

That's balance, boys!

Finsken #15 Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8375 battles
  • [-VAL-] -VAL-

strv_varjager #16 Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:52 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5655 battles

When its a HT and its big and slow and its name start with a B which means its always on top of the list, it makes it a big fat artillery magnet and when its strength is its armor you play around its armor which means you expose yourself to artillery. So with artillery the tank dont have a strength anymore only weakness.

But hey the tank is in the game so WG knows what they are doing, deal with it. As the artillery players always say.

Edited by strv_varjager, 04 October 2019 - 04:53 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #17 Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:08 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9307 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Grinding the tank myself, but looking at the OP, the tank isn't the only thing that's quite horrible.

Haven't gotten many battles in it yet, but its blocking shells well enough for me... 55% of them manage to bounce somehow.

The damage I do with it isn't bad considering the alpha.

View PostMiepie, on 04 October 2019 - 01:31 PM, said:

Also, don't you mean:

strv_varjager #18 Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5655 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 04 October 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

Grinding the tank myself, but looking at the OP, the tank isn't the only thing that's quite horrible.

Haven't gotten many battles in it yet, but its blocking shells well enough for me... 55% of them manage to bounce somehow.

The damage I do with it isn't bad considering the alpha.

Obviously you got more experience than me in this game but please dont be elitist when you play a game without proper mmr its just pathetic.

pecopad #19 Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:41 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29765 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostTankkiPoju, on 04 October 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

I like to compare Black Prince to IS.

IS is faster, more agile, still has decent armor, has actually better DPM and penetration than BP despite having 390 alpha and BP has 150.

That's balance, boys!

Actually if you compare both tanks curves you will see that the BP actually has better performance.

If you take wot-life stats, you can see that BP has much better overall stats than the IS 50,2% win rate, 1.079 wn8 in average,IS is after the Tiger I, the worst tier 7 heavy.

O-ni is the best one, followed by the IS-2 and T29... but for all of them and for bad players the BP is the best one.

fwhaatpiraat #20 Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:47 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 60163 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postpecopad, on 04 October 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

Actually if you compare both tanks curves you will see that the BP actually has better performance.

If you take wot-life stats, you can see that BP has much better overall stats than the IS 50,2% win rate, 1.079 wn8 in average,IS is after the Tiger I, the worst tier 7 heavy.

O-ni is the best one, followed by the IS-2 and T29... but for all of them and for bad players the BP is the best one.

Hmmm. So it actually performs okay for certain groups. But do such players like to play a vehicle with such atrocious speed, such low alpha and the 'feature' that it can be tracked and penned through the front?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users