Tearing My Hair Out

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

rommels_idiot_brother #1 Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31697 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

Ok, so I've tried searching and I cannot get an answer on this. My game simply will not run in anything other than safe mode. I try and launch the client in anything else and it will simply CTD. If I do manage to get in to game it will crash when actually entering a game and will continually crash even when trying to launch in safe mode. I may be able to get in to the game after 3 or 4 attempts and it will then be stable but only in safe mode.

Now I know exactly what a bunch of you smart Alecs will say. Oh, it's your drivers, it's your mods etc. Well let me say a few things. Firstly it is not my mods as it is a completley fresh install after I uninstalled and deleted every instance of WoT from my HDD including a manual search of both the HDD and registry to remove any instance of WoT from my machine. Secondly every one of my drivers are up to date after I manually went through every device in Device Manager and searched for updated drivers. Thirdly my machine is a 7th Gen i7 with a 1080 GTX and 32GB of RAM on the latest version of Win10. Forthly after reinstalling I have ran the game vanilla, I normally use Aslains but left it off to see if that was the issue, so I have no mods installed. Finally I can play literally ANY OTHER GAME for 12+ hours straight without any crashing at all. I will be lucky to run an hour of WoT without a crash. That kind of proves that it is not my set up but something within WoT itself that will not work.

Prior to v1 I never had any crashes at all but since it went to v1 it has been constant and has been getting worse with every patch. If anyone could help me on this I would be eternally grateful.

NekoPuffer_PPP #2 Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:06 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34868 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Might be something leftover in the cache...

In the launcher, run an integrity check, maybe that fixes it.

If you've already done so, and you seem to have done pretty much everything else...find a place to move all your important files to, like another HDD, and format your old drive. This will wipe it clean so you'll have to reinstall windows, but if there was anything that kept crashing WoT left over, it'll be gone and the game should work.

Captain_Kremen0 #3 Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 39315 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

Weeeeel if you can play it for a couple of hours before it crashes that would suggest SOMETHING in your system is interrupting it.

TheDrownedApe #4 Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50359 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

hmm doesn't Aslain run some sort of checker with his mod pack (not saying you use mods as you mentioned above) but when some people have issues with his packs they run that checker thingy and post the results. That MIGHT show up something that someone with a modicum of knowledge might be able to decipher.

It does sound weird might be worth installing on another drive and disabling your current one (seems you tried most other tings)

Balc0ra #5 Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74388 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postrommels_idiot_brother, on 08 October 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

Now I know exactly what a bunch of you smart Alecs will say. Oh, it's your drivers, it's your mods etc. Well let me say a few things. Firstly it is not my mods as it is a completley fresh install after I uninstalled and deleted every instance of WoT from my HDD including a manual search of both the HDD and registry to remove any instance of WoT from my machine.

In terms of WOT, the most common cause for crashes with topics like these are mods and config conflict more so than drivers. And by "deleted every instance" does that mean the WOT cache too in the wargaming.net folder in My Documents, or the user's folder i win 10? As that's where all the configs are, and even mod configs for some mods end up there that can cause conflicts. So try clearing that if you did not already find it.

Stevies_Team #6 Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:57 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14798 battles

I will be lucky to run an hour of WoT without a crash.

Either a software glitch or a hardware conflict

New re-install on formatted drive for software

Hardware is hard to find, unless you plugged in something new just before the issue arose

edit: as below, overclocking does this kind of error

Edited by Stevies_Team, 09 October 2019 - 03:29 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #7 Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34502 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
As above, simply uninstalling WoT doesn't remove all traces, if you have been running mods they may still have left files in the wotcache in your Windows user folder.

Also are you overclocking your machine in any way because if you are stop doing it and see if that helps.

etody77 #8 Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 76327 battles
  • [JMA] JMA

Uninstal mods first, then reinstall them

Best way is to use a modpack, if you rename the content of res_mod folder, an outdated mod could cause a conflict

Promod has an option to repair your WoT client, i have seen something like this on aslain, but not sure if works

WG announced something like a blocker for users of illegal mods, this could make your gam to run only in safe mod too

If is the last one...this patch is cool

Leepants #9 Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19958 battles
  • [ZIIP] ZIIP
Freebie CCleaner can analyse and clean / sort broken directory links amongst other things. Worth a try?

Homer_J #10 Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

Field Marshal

• 32930 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postrommels_idiot_brother, on 08 October 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

Now I know exactly what a bunch of you smart Alecs will say. Oh, it's your drivers, it's your mods etc. Well let me say a few things. Firstly it is not my mods as it is a completley fresh install after I uninstalled and deleted every instance of WoT from my HDD including a manual search of both the HDD and registry to remove any instance of WoT from my machine.

Say what you like but if it works in safe mode then it points at mods.

Did you delete the wargaming.net folder in %appdata% at the same time as uninstalling and deleting the WoT folder?

rommels_idiot_brother #11 Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:20 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31697 battles
  • [WHO] WHO
Thanks for all your replies. I would like to point out something that some of you seem to have misunderstood. I spent literally hours manually going through the HDD and registry and every single mention of WoT or Wargaming was removed completely, I also ran disk optimisation tools and registry washers to confirm that no unattached strings or files were left on the HDD. It was then reinstalled with no mods and still would only run in safe mode. A complete reimage seems drastic to fix one game when I do not have any issues with anything else. As I said I can play anything else for an entire day with no issues at all. However it may come to that if I cannot figure it out.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #12 Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34502 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Do you happen to have a second drive you could install another copy of windows to as a test rather than reimage your main drive?

Bulldog_Drummond #13 Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33576 battles
Have you tried turning your PC off and restarting it?

rommels_idiot_brother #14 Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:06 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31697 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

I only have external drives that are data storage. I do have a second internal drive but again that is storage.

And yes, I have tried turnig it off and on again. A lot. I work in IT so that is the first thing I tried :)

Bulldog_Drummond #15 Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33576 battles

View Postrommels_idiot_brother, on 09 October 2019 - 09:06 PM, said:

I only have external drives that are data storage. I do have a second internal drive but again that is storage.

And yes, I have tried turnig it off and on again. A lot. I work in IT so that is the first thing I tried :)

In that case probably the only thing left to do is to reformat your hard drive and reload the OS

GustyOWindflap #16 Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:31 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1920 battles
This reminds me of a similar problem I had 2-3 years back (albeit in a different game) and I was told changing my Firewall/Anti-Virus programs could help as they could be blocking something in the program. Well I did and for some reason it worked. Might be worth a go if you are stuck for ideas.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #17 Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:23 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34502 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View Postrommels_idiot_brother, on 09 October 2019 - 10:06 PM, said:

So long as the internal storage drive has enough free space for a windows install that'll do fine as a temporary. 

Captain_Kremen0 #18 Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:20 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 39315 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 09 October 2019 - 09:21 PM, said:

In that case probably the only thing left to do is to reformat your hard drive and reload the OS

With a small SSD costing 20 quid I'd say bollocks to the hassle of a  reformat :coin:

NekoPuffer_PPP #19 Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:16 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34868 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC
Mentioning overclocks, I had to lower mine's settings because it would randomly give me a graphics driver error mid-battle...tried solving it with faster fan speeds but that made no difference, so I had to lower the core clock... Other games won't crash from that, only WoT. Funny...

rommels_idiot_brother #20 Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:09 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31697 battles
  • [WHO] WHO
I appear to have found a work around. I'm launching the game direct using the win64.exe file and so far no crashes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users