where are we?

trivia maps

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

N_Sask_R #1 Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15330 battles
One day awhile back I was on Himmelsdorf and noticed the shadows.  For the "A" line to be the northern edge of the map going by the shadows cast, the sun would have to be to the northeast, an odd thought considering its widely assumed it is a fictional town in Germany.  Over the week I noticed the same thing on, well on most maps.  I know its a silly little thing but now every time someone says go east, go west, go north I sit and think for a second if I should have some fun asking them to explain exactly how they are determining what direction that might be!  I just have too much free time to think about mindless things but I can't be the only one that finds it funny that WG has decided to do this (I wonder if it was intentional), I love hidden trivia in games and things that make you stop and think about something other then the effects of cover and chances of penetration.  Anyone else have odd things I can watch for in this game?

Baldrickk #2 Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostN_Sask_R, on 11 October 2019 - 01:01 PM, said:

One day awhile back I was on Himmelsdorf and noticed the shadows.  For the "A" line to be the northern edge of the map going by the shadows cast, the sun would have to be to the northeast, an odd thought considering its widely assumed it is a fictional town in Germany.  Over the week I noticed the same thing on, well on most maps.  I know its a silly little thing but now every time someone says go east, go west, go north I sit and think for a second if I should have some fun asking them to explain exactly how they are determining what direction that might be!  I just have too much free time to think about mindless things but I can't be the only one that finds it funny that WG has decided to do this (I wonder if it was intentional), I love hidden trivia in games and things that make you stop and think about something other then the effects of cover and chances of penetration.  Anyone else have odd things I can watch for in this game?

Oh, that's a common one. Though also an old one.

We use the cardinal directions when referring to the maps as if they were the right way up, though yes, the sun isn't often in the right place.

For maps based on real locations, we get the maps rotated from their real orientations,  and sometimes the sun appears in the correct place as per the real features, and sometimes not.

There are some other odd features, like purely French and German vintage cars on Redshire, which is supposedly an English location.

On the south side of the map we have two post boxes facing each other on opposite sides of the road, with a third one about 50m away.

This is of course ridiculous. 

There are many cases where scale is inconsistent. 

Himmelsdorf has a lot of the same shops, but I think there's a Fish and Chip shop in there somewhere, not a usual German dish. Especially not of the period.

There's a path/road/track on empire's border that goes up a vertical slope

Castle Vom Himmelsdorf was an asset on Westfield, at least before the rework, I honestly haven't paid any attention since, outside the map border on the North side.

Aleo #3 Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:16 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 32532 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C
I always assumed that WG followed the normal Mercator protocol that "up" on a map is pointing north. But who knows what heathen villainy they promote!?

CaMoyKTaHKuCT #4 Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 899 battles
  • [BGWAR] BGWAR

View PostBaldrickk, on 11 October 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

We use the cardinal directions when referring to the maps as if they were the right way up, though yes, the sun isn't often in the right place.

For maps based on real locations, we get the maps rotated from their real orientations,  and sometimes the sun appears in the correct place as per the real features, and sometimes not.

There are some other odd features, like purely French and German vintage cars on Redshire, which is supposedly an English location.

On the south side of the map we have two post boxes facing each other on opposite sides of the road, with a third one about 50m away.

Himmelsdorf has a lot of the same shops, but I think there's a Fish and Chip shop in there somewhere, not a usual German dish. Especially not of the period.

Castle Vom Himmelsdorf was an asset on Westfield, at least before the rework, I honestly haven't paid any attention since, outside the map border on the North side.

Say more, about easter eggs :hiding: sound interesting 

mpf1959 #5 Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29970 battles

where are we?

Profound question, also, who are we? and where are we going? :mellow:

N_Sask_R #6 Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15330 battles
I had noticed the post boxes were U.S. blue and the same style used in the states, oddly the colour wasn't used until 1971 for them so they are not just out of place on most maps, they are out of the time period. I'm now looking for the fish and chips shop, though if you come to Canada it isn't uncommon to see a Tim Horton's coffee shop across the street from another (I can think of a pair on Robson Street in Vancouver that are that close).

shikaka9 #7 Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 72054 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

View Postmpf1959, on 11 October 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

where are we?

to 6th extinction

SaintMaddenus #8 Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:11 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38820 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
in catford there is a "Morley's" fried chicken shop every couple of hundred yards.   Not only tim hortons in Canada but you would also get a country style too.  (back when I lived there)  but Crispy creams in the Airport.  (I have no idea what Heathen approved that idea)

Baldrickk #9 Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostN_Sask_R, on 11 October 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

I had noticed the post boxes were U.S. blue and the same style used in the states, oddly the colour wasn't used until 1971 for them so they are not just out of place on most maps, they are out of the time period. I'm now looking for the fish and chips shop, though if you come to Canada it isn't uncommon to see a Tim Horton's coffee shop across the street from another (I can think of a pair on Robson Street in Vancouver that are that close).

Well, on Redshire they are typical red box on pole ones as you see in low traffic areas (As opposed to the red cylinder ones you see at post offices /In large towns and cities)

https://previews.123...-england-uk.jpg

As opposed to 

http://gallery.nen.g...7/romford14.jpg

You'll typically have one in a village, or in a town, a few but spread out to give coverage. Not three right next to each other.

I can think of a few places where McDonald's has locations right next to each other...

Edited by Baldrickk, 11 October 2019 - 02:35 PM.

Schepel #10 Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:37 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 66349 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 11 October 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

My personal favourite is the fact there are German signs on an English airfield. (Map Airfield.)

CaMoyKTaHKuCT #11 Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:41 PM

Private

• Player
  • 899 battles
  • [BGWAR] BGWAR

View PostSchepel, on 11 October 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

My personal favourite is the fact there are German signs on an English airfield. (Map Airfield.)

Pin the Map Pls

krismorgan #12 Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36839 battles
  • [UKT] UKT

where are we?

And why?

Unicorn_of_Steel #13 Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15546 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

View Postkrismorgan, on 11 October 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

And why?

It doesn't matter...the road is our destination, the yellow brick road. Just head on down the road with a scared lion, a tin man and God knows what more.

Anyone noticed the Getranke shop in Charkov? Typical German.

14:29 Added after 2 minute

View PostCaMoyKTaHKuCT, on 11 October 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Pin the Map Pls

That's actually not so strange. Airfield is in the desert, the Allied simply conquered a German airfield during Rommels retreat?

Schepel #14 Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:52 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 66349 battles

View PostUnicorn_of_Steel, on 11 October 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

It doesn't matter...the road is our destination, the yellow brick road. Just head on down the road with a scared lion, a tin man and God knows what more.

Anyone noticed the Getranke shop in Charkov? Typical German.

14:29 Added after 2 minute

That's actually not so strange. Airfield is in the desert, the Allied simply conquered a German airfield during Rommels retreat?

Nah, there is no way they would let all the German signs stand. The map makers simply reused models that kind of fit. Only they don't. :-)

jack_timber #15 Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:13 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41233 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

where are we?

More to the point where have we come from...

Always assumed that north was top, confuses me when someone says left, in chat, then goes right especially if we spawn at the top of the map.

Karasu_Hidesuke #16 Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 17131 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
Paris is rotated so it is an obvious Chinese fake.

Also tagged with trivia, maps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users