Ranked battles - new season with Tier 9 only !

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

FireWhip #1 Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 72373 battles

I am going to make a wild guess but the new season of Ranked battles will very likely be a mess - Objects 279, Chieftains, 907, EBR ...

I think Tier 9 is more balanced than Tier 10 and there will be many more tanks to play with and the game will be more diverse.

Or limit Tier 10 vehicles to 3 x Use per day maximum ! Or make them available for those who do not have them, provided that, e.g., they have at least 1 Tier 10 in the garage.

What do you think?

Bordhaw #2 Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:14 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 15106 battles

View PostFireWhip, on 14 October 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

Ranked battles 

What do you think?

Long_Range_Sniper #3 Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37663 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

I think one of the reasons it's tier X is to take tier X tanks out of the queue.

You're right that tier 9 is more balanced, but I seem to remember ranked was more than just tier X for one reason.

Also, does this mean you'll ban AE Phase 1's as well?

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:32 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

I told you what i think before but you didn't like it! :(

What i think, in a more elaborate way, is this...

Tanks like the 279e, Chieftain, 430U, etc. are part of the diversity you're seeking. It makes no sense on the long run to limit ranked tanks to a few vehicles like Steel Hunt for example. In this mode the tank evolved based on the player's choices into many variants which made this work. Limiting ranked to 3 or 5 vehicles with locked crews and equipment is easy but also extremely boring especially if you're going to play 150-200 battles per season.

It doesn't make a difference whether it's in tier 8, 9 or 10. Each tier got its own 'choice' vehicles and no one will voluntarily play the hard mode (the bad vehicles) when there are better alternatives. That's part of the competitive nature of the game mode after all.

Grading the tanks is still my preferred approach to this. Reward people appropriately for playing the harder tanks, for performing in an unpopular or weaker tank. There aren't that many tier 10 tanks anyway and if you want to invert that and just degrade the lethal ones, go ahead but that a shortcut that could blowback.

undutchable80 #5 Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:22 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 12222 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Never played either Ranked or CW, but would putting a hard cap on the number of specific reward vehicles on a team offer a solution? So like max 2 Obj279s, max 2 Chieftains, etc etc with an even distribution across the teams? Kinda like how SPGs in FL mode are limited / hard capped?

Bradders8 #6 Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:51 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11081 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-

If it was someone creating this thread who actually owned a Chieftain or 279 then you would have a lot more credibility.

The fact that you have neither just makes it come across as winging because you feel hard done by.

I worked my arse off last campaign sat at the computer night after night with a heavily pregnant gf giving it to me because I had played the previous campaign with a mix of Super Conq, 430u,140 and 5a and I couldn't even get to the end of it. I told myself I needed a Chieftain so I went out and put the effort in to get one.

Try doing the same! And don't give that crap about oh I don't have time, we all have jobs and real life responsibilities. It's about priorities and if you are not prepared to put the effort in to get a reward tank then you have not got the right to complain that it is not fair.

On top of which you have a respectable wn8 and are an experienced player. You could easily get accepted into a competitive clan that would be in the hunt for reward tanks. You also have 70000 battles so if time is THAT short you surely must have the bonds lying around to get one from bidding.

Jumping_Turtle #7 Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:52 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 70089 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT
Tier 9 for a change would be very welcomed here.

BSHDBCG #8 Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6109 battles

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 14 October 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

I think one of the reasons it's tier X is to take tier X tanks out of the queue.

These days it sounds more like they want to drain credits from the game with it.

Jauhesammutin #9 Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23668 battles
  • [FAUF] FAUF

View PostBradders8, on 15 October 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

If it was someone creating this thread who actually owned a Chieftain or 279 then you would have a lot more credibility.

The fact that you have neither just makes it come across as winging because you feel hard done by.

I worked my arse off last campaign sat at the computer night after night with a heavily pregnant gf giving it to me because I had played the previous campaign with a mix of Super Conq, 430u,140 and 5a and I couldn't even get to the end of it. I told myself I needed a Chieftain so I went out and put the effort in to get one.

Try doing the same! And don't give that crap about oh I don't have time, we all have jobs and real life responsibilities. It's about priorities and if you are not prepared to put the effort in to get a reward tank then you have not got the right to complain that it is not fair.

On top of which you have a respectable wn8 and are an experienced player. You could easily get accepted into a competitive clan that would be in the hunt for reward tanks. You also have 70000 battles so if time is THAT short you surely must have the bonds lying around to get one from bidding.

He isn't denying your efforts to get a reward tank.

He is talking about Ranked mode and how tanks like the Obj. 279e don't belong in there or that everybody should have them in Ranked.

Balc0ra #10 Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 73460 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
I mean you could have 2 ranked seasons in one go just to see how it would work. Tier 9 and X. If they did, I'm fairly sure most would pick tier 9 too for it to work. And I doubt tier 8's in randoms would complain.

FireWhip #11 Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 72373 battles

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 14 October 2019 - 10:16 PM, said:

You're right that tier 9 is more balanced, but I seem to remember ranked was more than just tier X for one reason.

Also, does this mean you'll ban AE Phase 1's as well?

This works for 2 or 3 weeks when some players are playing tier X and then you are back to the standard BAD matchmaking, unfortunately this does not solve the problem of MM !!!

16:40 Added after 0 minute

View Postundutchable80, on 15 October 2019 - 06:22 AM, said:

Never played either Ranked or CW, but would putting a hard cap on the number of specific reward vehicles on a team offer a solution? So like max 2 Obj279s, max 2 Chieftains, etc etc with an even distribution across the teams? Kinda like how SPGs in FL mode are limited / hard capped?

This sounds like a good idea !!!

16:41 Added after 1 minute

View PostBalc0ra, on 15 October 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

I mean you could have 2 ranked seasons in one go just to see how it would work. Tier 9 and X. If they did, I'm fairly sure most would pick tier 9 too for it to work. And I doubt tier 8's in randoms would complain.

Also a very interesting idea !!! Worth trying, the rewards could be different but why not ?

Long_Range_Sniper #12 Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37663 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostFireWhip, on 15 October 2019 - 04:39 PM, said:

This works for 2 or 3 weeks when some players are playing tier X and then you are back to the standard BAD matchmaking, unfortunately this does not solve the problem of MM !!!

Admittedly Ranked was started when it was the old 3/5/7 MM and it was one of the reasons why they stated they wanted ranked. But with the new MM template it might remove the reason for ranked to be tier X.

However, there is often much comment about tier X being the "end game", and where do you go next? Not having tier X as the ranked level, might reduce the desire for some players to go to tier X.

Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer tier IX to X in randoms. But if ranked is one of the few modes for good players to stretch themselves in the game, then the fact that good tanks are allowed should not be an issue.

Have you looked at the way WG have changed the structure of the next ranked season? Maybe it will be more forgiving on tech tree tanks. But at the end of the day, there isn't much of an obstacle to getting a 907 if someone really wants one. Join a clan, play five games, pay 25k bonds.

FireWhip #13 Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:52 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 72373 battles

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 15 October 2019 - 08:52 AM, said:

Tier 9 for a change would be very welcomed here.

I think at Tier 9 there are many more competitive tanks than at Tier 10. Just look at the French, their med, heavy, scouts are worth trying, Germans - e50, Ru251, VK or E75, Russians T54, 430, STI etc and especially if you would introduce a limit of max 3-5 times use of a certain tank per day. And you could make all tanks available for rent 3xper day with the same crew for all players - 4 full skills at your convenience. This can be easily done in my view.

FireWhip #14 Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 72373 battles

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 14 October 2019 - 10:32 PM, said:

I told you what i think before but you didn't like it! :(

What i think, in a more elaborate way, is this...

Tanks like the 279e, Chieftain, 430U, etc. are part of the diversity you're seeking. It makes no sense on the long run to limit ranked tanks to a few vehicles like Steel Hunt for example. In this mode the tank evolved based on the player's choices into many variants which made this work. Limiting ranked to 3 or 5 vehicles with locked crews and equipment is easy but also extremely boring especially if you're going to play 150-200 battles per season.

It doesn't make a difference whether it's in tier 8, 9 or 10. Each tier got its own 'choice' vehicles and no one will voluntarily play the hard mode (the bad vehicles) when there are better alternatives. That's part of the competitive nature of the game mode after all.

Grading the tanks is still my preferred approach to this. Reward people appropriately for playing the harder tanks, for performing in an unpopular or weaker tank. There aren't that many tier 10 tanks anyway and if you want to invert that and just degrade the lethal ones, go ahead but that a shortcut that could blowback.

Well, kind of ...   :-)))) 279, Chieftain can be a part of diversity if they are limited to 1 per team, so you can have 1 x 279, 1 x Chieftain, 1 x 907 and that is it, the rest are other "normal" tanks. For example, I do not object 260, because it is OKish, but 279 is not OK.

Sure Tier 9 and also Tier 8 will have their preferred vehicles but limit tier 8 to say max 2 wheeled French vehicles. But I think in Tier 9 you will see a wider variety of vehicles - and you can make them rental (for free for those who have at least 1 Tier 9) and give them 4 skills for all crew (you will have to decide which skills) and you can equip them with whatever you want for free (but no improved equipment in the special mode !). The vehicles would be only for Ranked and that is it.

Grading tanks according to tasks can be more difficult to organize I think, at the present time just by taking tier 9 for Ranked will ensure variety of vehicles - at least it is worth trying! And tier 9 is quite OK, there are no Defenders there and no 279 and Chieftains - maybe the sweet little spot.

And loosing Chevrons is for many people discouraging ... at certain point they will just say "that was it, not anymore".  And WG wants to limit the number of games for qualification round of Ranked. So good luck with that one ... the game should still be fun, and if you consider fun 2 teams playing against each other and each has 10 x 2879 and 5 x Chieftain then have fun but I do not care about such fun - and have seen quite a few of CW streams with these tanks ...

And I do not even want to start discussion that the good players will get even more OP tanks and then they completely dominate the game - I have seen too many gun marking sessions from various streamers to see how disgusting 279 and Chieftains are.

FireWhip #15 Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:23 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 72373 battles

View PostBradders8, on 15 October 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

I have seen many streamers with almost 4000 WN8 rating marking 279 and Chieftains so I know how these tanks can be dominating the game in right hands ! And the fact that I do not have them does not really exclude me to say my views and repeat views of the very same 4000 WN8 rating players who say that these tanks have nothing to do in the game. The awards should be camouflage skins, crew books, silver barrel and whatverer but not an OP tank for a very good player !! Why? So that you would go to Random and pretend to be hero by shooting tier 8 and 9 ? Sorry but this view is not acceptable, to say it mildly, to me.

Winging? Well, see above, if you want to be a false hero (in the same way as a false prophet) then go ahead.

I do not deny your efforts, and if your girlfriend is understanding that is fine with me. I prefer my health to some silly virtual tank, because when WG goes down, then your digital tank will disappear in cyberspace. By the way I still have to do 2 missions to get Chimera but I am simply in no hurry - and I prefer to see latest movie once a week or read a book rather than spend 12 hours behind the computer (but I have my binges). And who knows soon WG will open 3rd front with a new Russian reward tank with 8 tracks, 4 barrels, 2 wheels made from Stalinium and adamantium where you will have to ding 20 000 damage with your Chieftain. Looking forward to these missions.

Not everyone is interested playing Clan Wars and their completely different play-style compared with Randoms. If you enjoy it then it is OK ...

the_nebuchadnezzar #16 Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54778 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
Ranked battle sort version: either you have the Obj 279e or the FV/T95 or you can GTFO

TankkiPoju #17 Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 23743 battles

Seems to me 279e is pretty strong in randoms, because most wanna be F2P Edited still shoot regular ammo against it.

You wont find these speshul players in high ranked tiers.

Edited by Asklepi0s, 17 October 2019 - 09:25 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

Homer_J #18 Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32795 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostFireWhip, on 14 October 2019 - 09:54 PM, said:

What do you think?

I think nobody keeps tier 9 tanks in their garage so if it did happen it would be as a massive credit sink.

Jumping_Turtle #19 Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 70089 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostHomer_J, on 16 October 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:

I think nobody keeps tier 9 tanks in their garage

I have 22 of them ...

the_nebuchadnezzar #20 Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54778 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 16 October 2019 - 07:02 PM, said:

I have 22 of them ...

I also have most of my tier 9. In fact, I rarely sold a tank above tier 8.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users