Jump to content


I've Finally Figured it Out.

#boring niche

  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Erwin_Von_Braun #1 Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42992 battles
  • 6,344
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014

So, I took just shy of three months off - game was becoming increasingly frustrating to play so thought I'd give it a break and try XCOM 2 on Legendary Ironman (that went rather well).

Keeping an eye on the forums I could see that the same old faces where whining about the same old topics so nothing had really changed.


 

After a dozen or so games over the last two days, it suddenly hit me - the problem with this game isn't Arty, it isn't Prem Ammo, it isn't Game Balance or WV's.


 

The problem with the game is this...............It's boring.


 

As a product WoT is nearing the end of it's life cycle - it can be classed as 'mature' but nearing the 'decline' stage (some would say that this has already begun). I doubt very much that it will die off completely, after all, WarCraft is still chugging along after all these years but there will come a point when it's only a niche game played by a few hard core players.

The constant spam of new vehicles at obscenely bloated prices is one of the key indicators (old school marketers would call this the Cash Cow stage) and, quite rightly, WG are making hay whilst the sun shines


 

So, to sum up - this game has a whiff of 'old fart' about it - shame really as it used to be quite enjoyable, if a little frustrating.


 

Bring on 2.0


 


 


 


 


 



Anna_Kalashnikova #2 Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 15686 battles
  • 7,398
  • [ST0RM] ST0RM
  • Member since:
    08-21-2011
k

shikaka9 #3 Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 71340 battles
  • 1,131
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
  • Member since:
    02-27-2013
.. or just players getting old and their "taste" changing :sceptic:

UrQuan #4 Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:30 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 21398 battles
  • 7,223
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

Honestly, after a while most games do get boring, even very good ones if not played in moderation. I'd say you had your fun with the game, but after so many battles I'd imagine you have seen it all, so it is a fair criticism.

 

I don't play that often anymore either. Just playing from time to time because I just like how armor is modeled in this game & the whole concept of tanks fighting, making it far less reflex based then most action games.

It is still fun to me tho. Making that KV-4 work & grind those 'OP Prem tanks' into dust hasn't gotten old yet. 


Edited by UrQuan, 15 October 2019 - 11:33 AM.


UserZer00 #5 Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:35 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 12855 battles
  • 977
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013
That's one way of looking at it I suppose, but then again....
- the tank prices have always been bloated
- there have always been issues with the game

I think the graphics update, new game mechanics  new vehicle classes and other indications seem to indicate that they are at least trying to keep the game new and interesting.

Of course, opinions are going to vary on if they are succeeding or not, but from my casual player point of view I don't find the gane to be boring.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #6 Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:36 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 53231 battles
  • 5,615
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

Welcome back to the forums Mr. Ewwin. I heard you are still doing god's work in your GW E100. ;)

 

Whenever i feel like you did, i just take a break until they introduce something new or i just fee the need to do some tanking. One good thing about WOT is that you can always find something new to do. Some challenge, a line to grind or new tanks to learn.



mpf1959 #7 Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 29269 battles
  • 1,720
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017
I've thought quite a few things about the game in the 2 years I have played, boring was never among them, but, horses for courses as they say! :)

Erwin_Von_Braun #8 Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:44 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42992 battles
  • 6,344
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014

View Postshikaka9, on 15 October 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

.. or just players getting old and their "taste" changing :sceptic:

There is no 'getting' old here buddy - I was born old.

10:47 Added after 3 minute

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 15 October 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

Welcome back to the forums Mr. Ewwin. I heard you are still doing god's work in your GW E100. ;)

 

Whenever i feel like you did, i just take a break until they introduce something new or i just fee the need to do some tanking. One good thing about WOT is that you can always find something new to do. Some challenge, a line to grind or new tanks to learn.

Much obliged sir, it's good to be back.

'Doing God's Work' - I like that.:)

tbh, the grinds were part of the problem - I found myself grinding lines just for the sake of it.

10:52 Added after 7 minute

View PostUserZer00, on 15 October 2019 - 10:35 AM, said:

That's one way of looking at it I suppose, but then again....
- the tank prices have always been bloated
- there have always been issues with the game

I think the graphics update, new game mechanics new vehicle classes and other indications seem to indicate that they are at least trying to keep the game new and interesting.

Of course, opinions are going to vary on if they are succeeding or not, but from my casual player point of view I don't find the gane to be boring.

I think you're right, WG have at least tried to keep the game fresh by adding new content (loved the graphics updates).

I think though it has reached the pint where they are just adding content for the sake of it - WV's are a prime example - they added a 'comedic' element to the game that wasn't there before.

Some would call new content 'power creep', some would say it's merely the game evolving (I prefer the latter).


 



barison1 #9 Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 44202 battles
  • 2,295
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012

for every player the game will start being boring at some point as you got all you wanted and just no new challenge or for other reasons, for me it became more and more boring aswell like 1-2 years ago till i decided that i wanted to mark as many tanks as i could as a challenge, which made the game fun for me again as i had a thing to focus on

 

about the bloated prices you talk about so far i remember the tanks/bundles have always been fairly expensive since the start



____Green____ #10 Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 24753 battles
  • 374
  • [B4LV] B4LV
  • Member since:
    01-12-2014

 

To topic author - dont take it personally. Just created meme for other post, but that post is gone, :D 


Edited by ____Green____, 15 October 2019 - 12:01 PM.


Erwin_Von_Braun #11 Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:11 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42992 battles
  • 6,344
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014

View Post____Green____, on 15 October 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

 

To topic author - dont take it personally. Just created meme for other post, but that post is gone, :D 

No offence taken sir - It's doubtful I'll quit but that meme of yours is actually quite funny:D

11:13 Added after 1 minute

View Postbarison1, on 15 October 2019 - 10:53 AM, said:

for every player the game will start being boring at some point as you got all you wanted and just no new challenge or for other reasons, for me it became more and more boring aswell like 1-2 years ago till i decided that i wanted to mark as many tanks as i could as a challenge, which made the game fun for me again as i had a thing to focus on

 

about the bloated prices you talk about so far i remember the tanks/bundles have always been fairly expensive since the start

Funnily enough, I started doing the same thing a few months ago then I suddenly realised I was grinding tanks & lines I loathed just for the sake of it.


 



barison1 #12 Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:17 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 44202 battles
  • 2,295
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 15 October 2019 - 12:11 PM, said:

 

Funnily enough, I started doing the same thing a few months ago then I suddenly realised I was grinding tanks & lines I loathed just for the sake of it.


 

everyone their own tastes on it, which is perfectly fine. thing i dislike about grinding is stock grinds so i tend so skip certain modules :hiding:

 

encountered some other players aswell that simply liked to collect all camos/preset styles. or ones that only return to play races or other special events but avoiding randoms entirely



____Green____ #13 Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 24753 battles
  • 374
  • [B4LV] B4LV
  • Member since:
    01-12-2014

Is WOT boring? I found my self in that situation couple of times and yes it is, but its not just about game. Like all mmo games - its all about community, communication, relationship.

If you can connect all these three things with game - it will shine again.



Erwin_Von_Braun #14 Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42992 battles
  • 6,344
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014

View Post____Green____, on 15 October 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

Is WOT boring? I found my self in that situation couple of times and yes it is, but its not just about game. Like all mmo games - its all about community, communication, relationship.

If you can connect all these three things with game - it will shine again.

I hope you're right comrade, I really do.



Kalonianhydra #15 Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 29905 battles
  • 107
  • Member since:
    07-19-2013
The game becomes booring when the MM screws you over with a 15-0 loss, or even a win. If you are in a T95, Maus or anything other thats' slow and the team just steam roll over the other and you can't even catch up, then there is no fun winning.
When all you can hear is pfffsss, pfffsss when you get hit all day long, that's booring as well, you thought you had some armor, but someone just spams you with gold.
Or when you get spotted in your slow tank and there are three tier 10 artys on the enemy team, then you can sit the next two minutes stunned and see your hit points slowly erode away.

The game needs to raise the bar, limit the number of artys (to one, maybe two.), limit the amount of gold so that people have to think when to use them. They should be a tactical choice, not a thing that you can shoot at anything.
The matchmaker has to get smarter and put more equal players on each team. It's not much fun when after 2 minutes you are down 6 tanks because you got the vegetables on your team.

Erwin_Von_Braun #16 Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42992 battles
  • 6,344
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014

View Postbarison1, on 15 October 2019 - 11:17 AM, said:

everyone their own tastes on it, which is perfectly fine. thing i dislike about grinding is stock grinds so i tend so skip certain modules :hiding:

 

encountered some other players aswell that simply liked to collect all camos/preset styles. or ones that only return to play races or other special events but avoiding randoms entirely

Stock tank with a stock crew.....:ohmy:

Awful.



barison1 #17 Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 44202 battles
  • 2,295
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 15 October 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

Stock tank with a stock crew.....:ohmy:

Awful.


derp panther 2 with 50% crew comes to mind :hiding:



Erwin_Von_Braun #18 Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:35 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42992 battles
  • 6,344
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014

View Postbarison1, on 15 October 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:


derp panther 2 with 50% crew comes to mind :hiding:

I see your Panther 2 and raise you a KV-4 :trollface:



Cobra6 #19 Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16530 battles
  • 17,572
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

I have fond memories of World of Tanks in 2012 where we'd get a new T8 premium every 6 months or so and they weren't spammed *EVERY* *SINGLE* *DAY* in the announcement section of the forums.

 

Cobra 6



Erwin_Von_Braun #20 Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:39 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42992 battles
  • 6,344
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014

View PostCobra6, on 15 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I have fond memories of World of Tanks in 2012 where we'd get a new T8 premium every 6 months or so and they weren't spammed *EVERY* *SINGLE* *DAY* in the announcement section of the forums.

 

Cobra 6

We don't often agree on things Cobra but, in this case, I'm with you 100%.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users