Does the survey make sense?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Random_Humanoid #1 Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17789 battles

so, decided to pop in and try a bit of frontline again, first games in 2? months and had a survey

simple stuff rating the game from 1 to 10 but many of the questions seem to be un answerable and I fail to see how WG can get any useful information

for example, how do you like the role of tds/heavy tanks etc in the game, but how can you answer that with a number as there are so many types of tds, and so many ways to play them and some players will play the same tank differently to another player

I appreciate WG want feedback but it wold be nice if there was a section where you could explain your answers

Ch1valry #2 Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 41422 battles
  • [TKNZ] TKNZ

The survey is there only as an attempt to make the playerbase believe WG actually care about our opinions.

No surprise if the survey doesn't make much sense at all.

Element6 #3 Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32368 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I also had this survey, and the questions are not meant to be highly detailed and narrow, they are quite broad if you think about it. It's not about how people think speciffic tanks are in relation to the rest of the game, it's about how many percentage of the playerbase are generally satisfied with the role HTs and TDs have, hence why we have 10 different choices. The survey would be much less valuable if the questions had simple Yes/No answers.

View PostCh1valry, on 16 October 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

The survey is there only as an attempt to make the playerbase believe WG actually care about our opinions.

No surprise if the survey doesn't make much sense at all.

If you know anything about polling large groups of people you wouldn't be thinking this. WG doesn't care much about your particular opinion, they care about how many share different sets of opinions. If 80% of the responders chose "8" on a given question they know that a lot of players care about that particular issue, or are happy with it, so if you answered "1" on that question you are naturally going to think that WG doesn't care, which would be bias.

The survey probably makes a lot of sense, and you can be quite sure they have selected a sufficient random sample to get a good representation. How do you think voting polls tend to be so close to the real thing? If your sample is representative you can actually be quite close to the truth even with as little as 1000 responders.

Random_Humanoid #4 Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:25 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17789 battles

View PostElement6, on 16 October 2019 - 07:54 PM, said:

I also had this survey, and the questions are not meant to be highly detailed and narrow, they are quite broad if you think about it. It's not about how people think speciffic tanks are in relation to the rest of the game, it's about how many percentage of the playerbase are generally satisfied with the role HTs and TDs have, hence why we have 10 different choices. The survey would be much less valuable if the questions had simple Yes/No answers.

If you know anything about polling large groups of people you wouldn't be thinking this. WG doesn't care much about your particular opinion, they care about how many share different sets of opinions. If 80% of the responders chose "8" on a given question they know that a lot of players care about that particular issue, or are happy with it, so if you answered "1" on that question you are naturally going to think that WG doesn't care, which would be bias.

The survey probably makes a lot of sense, and you can be quite sure they have selected a sufficient random sample to get a good representation. How do you think voting polls tend to be so close to the real thing? If your sample is representative you can actually be quite close to the truth even with as little as 1000 responders.

now I get it

thx

wEight_Tanker #5 Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12225 battles
  • [D_L_Z] D_L_Z
Just be honest, or skip it. Makes no difference to the game or anything at all.

Element6 #6 Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32368 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostwEight_Tanker, on 16 October 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

Just be honest, or skip it. Makes no difference to the game or anything at all.

Are you sure of that?

I mean, the game has changed a lot, and I mean a lot since I joined at the start of 2013. Would you think that is down to pure guesswork on WGs part? This survey is the 3rd. I've had, and I know there have been more than 3 surveys since 2013 since people have posted about surveys I've not had myself, and spoken about them in clan chat.

Which do you think sound more likely?

1. WG runs surveys for years, but no change to the game has ever been related to the majority votes in those surveys, or

2. WG runs surveys for years and take majority votes in these surveys into account when planning the future path of the game

Of course, the surveys do not alone dictate what happens to the game. If 90% of responders say they hate SPGs, and then server data show that 80% actually have SPGs as part of their grinding scheme, even if they make up a small portion of their total battles, then our actions are in conflict with our responses in the surveys. If such a situation occurs, and the product is working well and the players that answer they hate SPGs continues to play the game despite this, then you might not want to take the risk of taking such drastic measures as removing an entire class from the game.

On top of this we have issues with people thinking they would like an imagined situation more than the current situation, where they base this opinion on maybe 2 factors, where they would be faced with 5 more factors they didn't even think of, which would maybe even regret their request in the end.

Noting ever seems to change drastically in a short timeframe in WoT, and I think there are very good reasons for this. Instead the game is flowing along like a calm river.

Random_Humanoid #7 Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:03 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17789 battles

well, did not play long, couple games frontline a 4 games of triple arty randoms was enough to remind me why this game ebola

unhappy_bunny #8 Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:04 PM

Brigadier

• 20654 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostRandom_Humanoid, on 16 October 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

for example, how do you like the role of tds/heavy tanks etc in the game, but how can you answer that with a number as there are so many types of tds, and so many ways to play them and some players will play the same tank differently to another player

You can only answer the question from your own point of view You cannot answer it on behalf of others.

So you should rate the role of the tank class based on how you play it. Others will answer for themselves and may see the role differently to you. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users