About how games die.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

jaxx77 #1 Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3246 battles

In successful game, at some point a person with "brilliant idea" comes to power, convincing others that his improvements will make the game great, the changes come live, and the game dies.

That's what happens.

This is just a hint.

Richthoffen #2 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30267 battles
  • [MS-] MS-
if i receaved 100 gold for every topic on how this game dies i would be able to buy me a premium tier8 now

ThorgrimBrenadim #3 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33683 battles

View Postjaxx77, on 18 October 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

In successful game, at some point a person with "brilliant idea" comes to power, convincing others that his improvements will make the game great, the changes come live, and the game dies.

That's what happens.

This is just a hint.

I agree but equally I don't think anyone at wargamming HQ would even have the slightest chance of a "brilliant idea" that could kill the game, they just keep making small blatently obvious useless and pathetic guesses.

The words "quantity over quality" best sums up wargamming unfortunatly the quantity does not refer to good things like quantity of maps but to quantity of idiotic, useless things they do.

PayMore #4 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27710 battles
Thx for this insight, OP. I hope the someone brings this forward to the devs/owner.

Jethro_Grey #5 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4426 battles
  • [KAIN] KAIN
That's actually useful advice should i ever consider making my own game.

shikaka9 #6 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 71169 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
seems its longest dying ever

Edited by shikaka9, 18 October 2019 - 02:13 PM.

Ceeb #7 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 32647 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View Postjaxx77, on 18 October 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

That's what happens.

This is just a hint.

Yep, thats my experience of how games die. 

Star Wars Galaxies,  Best weaponmith on Chimera,  turned bounty hunter killing Jedi until someone at Sony Online Entertainment decided to make SWGs just like WOW and released the NGE update.... the thing is it was the sandbox element that made the game and players hated it.... game died

Planetside 1,  some bright spark thought up BFG battlemechs, ruined infantry game play.... Game died.

Samething will happen to WoT, some spotty graduate will decide something and ruin the game further and it will die.   But not before WG milk the crap out of it.

strv_varjager #8 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4588 battles

View PostJethro_Grey, on 18 October 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

Dont make a pay to win or pay to progress game, listen to the community and especially the big community profiles, sometimes the community is wrong sometimes they are right so tread carefully with major changes. Dont try to force something that the community didnt ask for. Small changes can be tweaked and patched. But most of all if the community trust the developer they are more willing to adapt to major changes.

Remember that icefrog was a community modder in wc3, back then blizzard wasnt intrested in icefrog. Now hes lead developer at Valve and loved by the community. Blizzard might be a big company with alot of success but that doesnt mean their judgement is always on point and the same goes for WG.

BTW how did Heroes of the storm work out for blizzard?:P

Edited by strv_varjager, 18 October 2019 - 02:42 PM.

vasilinhorulezz #9 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 28180 battles

For how many years is this game dying already? Is it 2 or 3? That's a very persistent patient IMHO.

No, the game is not dying, still, it's already 9 years old and of course it's no longer as appealing as it was in it's prime.

wsatnutter #10 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26463 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
utter genius OP after nearly a decade of playing this game you are an utter genius , someone hire this lad it has to be done he will be our saviour

ThorgrimBrenadim #11 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33683 battles

View Postvasilinhorulezz, on 18 October 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

For how many years is this game dying already? Is it 2 or 3? That's a very persistent patient IMHO.

No, the game is not dying, still, it's already 9 years old and of course it's no longer as appealing as it was in it's prime.

It is dying a slow death because it is not one "brilliant idea" that is killing it but a multitude of much smaller ****up's.

Imagine death by a thousands cuts rather than a quick blade to the heart.

Edited by ThorgrimBrenadim, 18 October 2019 - 02:39 PM.

pecopad #12 Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:46 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29546 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View Poststrv_varjager, on 18 October 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

Dont make a pay to win or pay to progress game, listen to the community and especially the big community profiles, sometimes the community is wrong sometimes they are right so tread carefully with major changes. Dont try to force something that the community didnt ask for. Small changes can be tweaked and patched. But most of all if the community trust the developer they are more willing to adapt to major changes.

Remember that icefrog was a community modder in wc3, back then blizzard wasnt intrested in icefrog. Now hes lead developer at Valve and loved by the community. Blizzard might be a big company with alot of success but that doesnt mean their judgement is always on point.

BTW how did Heroes of the storm work out for blizzard?:P

i think the most important for games at this stage is to forget listening to the entitled players who contribute nothing and pay nothing to play the game.

Start to listening to the people who actually keep the lights on and pay for the rent and wages, and forget all this don't pay to win or don't pay to progress stuff..

So, stop giving away tanks and rewards, and stop with all the idiotic marathons and grinding feasts. Stop trying to rip us off with the free xp and bundles, and make an enjoyable game for a reasonable price.

Considering the level of play and teams we have been seeing, I don't think introducing bots would be such a big problem, stop catering to F2P players and take better care of the wallet worriers.

SuperOlsson #13 Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23926 battles
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM

View Postvasilinhorulezz, on 18 October 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

At least 5+ years, since WT ground forces were announced, probably wasn't the first occasion someone said this game will die/lose all its players though.

Balc0ra #14 Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 73320 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postjaxx77, on 18 October 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

That's what happens.

This is just a hint.

Thing is that the current "brilliant idea" came from all the whining on this forum "EU is the drama queen server after all". And as everyone whines about HE making armor useless and demanded a change. This is what you get.

Tho... that said. It's a test. Not final. They had the same brilliant idea about arty once, and tested the T92 with 1mm HE pen and 300 damage and worked their way up to what we have now. So lets wait until more tests changes come, and when WG says "it's final" before we consider it to be a "brilliant" idea or not. 

Jethro_Grey #15 Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4426 battles
  • [KAIN] KAIN

View PostBalc0ra, on 18 October 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

Thing is that the current "brilliant idea" came from all the whining on this forum "EU is the drama queen server after all". And as everyone whines about HE making armor useless and demanded a change. This is what you get.

Tho... that said. It's a test. Not final. They had the same brilliant idea about arty once, and tested the T92 with 1mm HE pen and 300 damage and worked their way up to what we have now. So lets wait until more tests changes come, and when WG says "it's final" before we consider it to be a "brilliant" idea or not. 

Pretty much this. 

Don't start a s**tstorm just yet...but sharpen your pitchforks and collect wood for the bonfires. :hiding:

strv_varjager #16 Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:15 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4588 battles

View Postpecopad, on 18 October 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

i think the most important for games at this stage is to forget listening to the entitled players who contribute nothing and pay nothing to play the game.

Start to listening to the people who actually keep the lights on and pay for the rent and wages, and forget all this don't pay to win or don't pay to progress stuff..

So, stop giving away tanks and rewards, and stop with all the idiotic marathons and grinding feasts. Stop trying to rip us off with the free xp and bundles, and make an enjoyable game for a reasonable price.

Considering the level of play and teams we have been seeing, I don't think introducing bots would be such a big problem, stop catering to F2P players and take better care of the wallet worriers.

So what you are saying is that you want to pay a monthly fee to play the game just like WoW? And all tanks are premium tanks people have to pay for so there is no grind. Did i understand you correctly?

I'm 100% sure that would kill the game

DrMechano #17 Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23743 battles

View Postjaxx77, on 18 October 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

That's what happens.

This is just a hint.

The funny thing is this happens not just in dev circles. Recently quit a job due to our contract being handed to a different company. They came in with all these bright ideas that they 'thought' would work, making changes for changes sake and, being optimistic, we tried them, turned out they didn't work an in fact just led to people being more pissed off, we knew it wouldn't change since our contract only went out to tender every 4 years so we were stuck with them so I handed in my notice.

malachi6 #18 Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 50920 battles
This game has died more times than I have playing it. 

Maschinenkanone #19 Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 45284 battles
  • [MBEV] MBEV

About how games die?

• Introduce a game feature, like artillery - and keep it despite unhappy playerbase.
  • Follow-up with introducing another feature, like ClownCars - and keep them despite the unhappy playerbase.
  • Then follow-up with just another idea, like an "Ammo Rebalance" - despite knowing that it will make low tier gameplay even worse.

Pretty simple.

Element6 #20 Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31797 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostJethro_Grey, on 18 October 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

Only around 1 in 10 games end up being successful. The funny thing is that sometimes games that fail did more things right than a game that the world embraced.

Just look at WoT, making descisions that suck all the fun out of the game, rework things to the worse, milk us like there was no tomorrow, and only very few complainers seem to stop playing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users