WGC

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

TUD #1 Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:47 AM

Private

• Player
  • 28959 battles
  • [GOM] GOM

Hi. i have been in contack whit the support regardet the option to be able to downloade the game seperate compaird to the gaming center.

am not a fan of this gaming center what so ever. i know you can disable it left and right up and down, but its just not the thing for me. i realy want the option on just downloade the games ( WOT, WOWS, and WOP ) seperate.

i know frome experience this gaming centers can be just be in the back ground taking unessasery recorces, and if you have an older (outdatet PC) you wil loose youre FPS and you wil have lagg so on and so on.

so i would like to see if there is anny other than me that want to have the seperate game as an option to down loade insted of this gaming center.

sorry for bad engrish :)

XxKuzkina_MatxX #2 Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:09 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

Soon WOT will be available only through WGC, so the old launcher will eventually go away. They are starting with Asia and NA form the 21st of October, RU and EU will follow.

Don't worry about the WGC taking too much of your machine's resources. I thought the same but recently i had to install it with WOWs and it's really minimal. You can alt+tab and close it down if you have to. It still needs some work because of the separate 64 bit client and compatibility with mods. Hopefully these issues will be resolved soon. Here is the news article about the WGC for the Asian server.

Spoiler

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 19 October 2019 - 06:29 AM.

Dorander #3 Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

The old launcher added itself to your start-up settings too unless you specified otherwise. I agree with the sentiment, I really hate programs that assume they are so important they need something to run in the background all the time so they can update and/or start up more quickly.

I sincerely hope the Game Center doesn't do the same thing and if it does that it's easy to turn off and close (and I mean easier than editing in msconfig). I wouldn't count on WG having a seperate download for the basic game though, it'll cost them extra resources and reduces their advertising spectrum.

TUD #4 Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:51 AM

Private

• Player
  • 28959 battles
  • [GOM] GOM

View PostDorander, on 19 October 2019 - 08:46 AM, said:

The old launcher added itself to your start-up settings too unless you specified otherwise. I agree with the sentiment, I really hate programs that assume they are so important they need something to run in the background all the time so they can update and/or start up more quickly.

I sincerely hope the Game Center doesn't do the same thing and if it does that it's easy to turn off and close (and I mean easier than editing in msconfig). I wouldn't count on WG having a seperate download for the basic game though, it'll cost them extra resources and reduces their advertising spectrum.

yeah. thats my point. and allso you should have an option on do you want the game center or not. but sure i do see there prespective on why they are dooing it, and its realy smart. but in the end its the end user that should have somthing to say on it if they want to have that gaming center or not. its not nice the be forced to have somthing you dont want, need, dont have room for. so thats my reasond for this. and sure i have no problem on running all that stuff. but thats not the point. i simpely want to have the offer to just downloade that 1 game i play. .

but its not costing them more resorses on having 2 diffrent links. and if it do, its notting new. they have all the files in the system all they need is to add that to the diffrent web pages. its comming down to if they want to do it :)

Karasu_Hidesuke #5 Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 17085 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

Hmm... the Game Center has 3 options to tick. Not sure if those are good or bad options. Also, the actual games are not affected by the GC. The in game settings have an option that allows you to select the server on start, haven't tested it yet.

@OP I don't think you have to download any more than whatever game you want to play. The launcher has the option to detect and add any other relevant games you have installed on your computer.

Edited by Karasu_Hidesuke, 19 October 2019 - 10:54 AM.

vasilinhorulezz #6 Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:18 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 28251 battles
Yep, just cope with it, because it will soon be the only launcher for the game.

Erwin_Von_Braun #7 Posted 19 October 2019 - 01:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42992 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I don't like it:(

Dorander #8 Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

View PostTUD, on 19 October 2019 - 09:51 AM, said:

yeah. thats my point. and allso you should have an option on do you want the game center or not. but sure i do see there prespective on why they are dooing it, and its realy smart. but in the end its the end user that should have somthing to say on it if they want to have that gaming center or not. its not nice the be forced to have somthing you dont want, need, dont have room for. so thats my reasond for this. and sure i have no problem on running all that stuff. but thats not the point. i simpely want to have the offer to just downloade that 1 game i play. .

but its not costing them more resorses on having 2 diffrent links. and if it do, its notting new. they have all the files in the system all they need is to add that to the diffrent web pages. its comming down to if they want to do it :)

It would because they're generating more Internet traffic through their site if they need to host the game download elsewhere there, even if all they do is provide a link, that means hundreds of thousands more people creating site traffic for every minor update. With a downloader like the Game Center you have a local run program that communicates directly with a download server. It would mean creating two different packages of data, one datapackage that is handled by the GC and one that comes with its own installation files, which means spending manhours to set up and maintain that extra download. Even if those costs are minor (and I'm not sure they are, especially when it comes to site traffic) there's no upside to put in the effort. 

Homer_J #9 Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32802 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTUD, on 19 October 2019 - 05:47 AM, said:

i know frome experience this gaming centers can be just be in the back ground taking unessasery recorces, and if you have an older (outdatet PC) you wil loose youre FPS and you wil have lagg so on and so on.

I have an outdated PC which I sometimes use for WoT and WGC has no impact whatsoever.  It's just a matter of making a few menu selections to make it behave exactly as you want.  If anything it behaves better than the old launcher.

View PostDorander, on 19 October 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

I sincerely hope the Game Center doesn't do the same thing and if it does that it's easy to turn off and close .

Three or four clicks is all it takes depending on how you want it to behave.

You can have it not start with Windows and/or close completely when you exit.

Or you could get a PC which can cope with a piddly little background app and never have to wait for an update to install before you can play.

13:44 Added after 9 minute

View PostDorander, on 19 October 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

there's no upside to put in the effort. 

Apart from the fact that WGC uses torrents to keep the traffic on WG's servers down.

And yes you can turn seeding off.

Edited by Homer_J, 19 October 2019 - 02:35 PM.

SilentGaze #10 Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 960 battles

View PostDorander, on 19 October 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

It would because they're generating more Internet traffic through their site if they need to host the game download elsewhere there, even if all they do is provide a link, that means hundreds of thousands more people creating site traffic for every minor update. With a downloader like the Game Center you have a local run program that communicates directly with a download server. It would mean creating two different packages of data, one datapackage that is handled by the GC and one that comes with its own installation files, which means spending manhours to set up and maintain that extra download. Even if those costs are minor (and I'm not sure they are, especially when it comes to site traffic) there's no upside to put in the effort. 

Wg does have that separate systen now working. I've installed WoT in my 4 computers (one Win10, one Win 7, iMac, and MacBook Pro). Only Win 10 computer have that GC system installed, all others have separate (old style) game loader.  As far as I know there is no GC for Mac, so if they keep continuing to support Mac, they must hace that separate systen working in future too.

There is also setting for "Automatic Updating" in that 'old systen'.

Dorander #11 Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 19 October 2019 - 01:35 PM, said:

Or you could get a PC which can cope with a piddly little background app and never have to wait for an update to install before you can play..

The background app isn't the problem, the times when it starts hogging resources and bandwidth that I'm using for other things is. Besides that, you get to comment on my hardware and how I use it when you pay for it, otherwise it's my possession and I decide what programs it should and should not run.

View PostHomer_J, on 19 October 2019 - 01:35 PM, said:

Apart from the fact that WGC uses torrents to keep the traffic on WG's servers down.

And yes you can turn seeding off.

I'm going to guess you didn't read carefully enough to see what the "there's no upside" comment actually referred to.

View PostSilentGaze, on 19 October 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

Wg does have that separate systen now working. I've installed WoT in my 4 computers (one Win10, one Win 7, iMac, and MacBook Pro). Only Win 10 computer have that GC system installed, all others have separate (old style) game loader.  As far as I know there is no GC for Mac, so if they keep continuing to support Mac, they must hace that separate systen working in future too.

There is also setting for "Automatic Updating" in that 'old systen'.

Yeah, I know, but moving everything over to GC means they don't need to maintain those different systems either. There'll always be different packages for Windowns and Mac OSes, that's just unavoidable, but there'd be no really good reason to maintain 2 or 3 different Windows installation packages (depending on how the old installer and the GC handle data, guessing it isn't identical).

Balc0ra #12 Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 73496 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTUD, on 19 October 2019 - 05:47 AM, said:

If that is an issue for your system. Then game center is not needed to run or start the game, just to update it and autolog you on. You can close it after you start WOT with no issues. Or go to the launcher setting and tell it not to launch when Windows starts and use a shortcut to start WOT instead just fine. Downside then is that it won't check for updates, and you have to login the old way. 

Bordhaw #13 Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:41 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 15106 battles

View PostTUD, on 19 October 2019 - 04:47 AM, said:

Hi. i have been in contack whit the support regardet the option to be able to downloade the game seperate compaird to the gaming center.

am not a fan of this gaming center what so ever. i know you can disable it left and right up and down, but its just not the thing for me. i realy want the option on just downloade the games ( WOT, WOWS, and WOP ) seperate.

so i would like to see if there is anny other than me that want to have the seperate game as an option to down loade insted of this gaming center.

sorry for bad engrish :)

You can just use the WGC to download updates. You don't need to have it running or even use it to launch the game. 

Homer_J #14 Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32802 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDorander, on 19 October 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

The background app isn't the problem, the times when it starts hogging resources and bandwidth that I'm using for other things is.

Then tell it not to hog resources (which is the default option anyway) or just not let it start until you want it to do something.  Simples.

Dorander #15 Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:57 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 19 October 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

Then tell it not to hog resources (which is the default option anyway) or just not let it start until you want it to do something.  Simples.

Quite. The setting in which it doesn't do something until I want it to do something, is commonly called "off". It'll start when I launch the program, and as I understand that's a possible setting, so that's all good.

I merely don't get why you felt you needed to make a fairly patronizing comment about my hardware, which has absolutely no bearing on what I'd like a program to do or not do. I have yet to meet the first launcher which was humble enough to not claim resources from what I actually wanted to devote all my system's resources to in order to get maximum performance and this tendency of the past decade for programs to have some background nonsense always running is what bogs systems down and it's all the worse when programs don't ask but just assume that you're fine when they default to adding themselves to your system on start-up. It's my system, I want opt in, not opt out, and there's nothing unreasonable about that.

8126Jakobsson #16 Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:52 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 79881 battles
Seems to me likes it's usually WGC users that are having troubles with updates. Don't know what that's about but shouldn't it be smooth sailing by now? Has it been two years? Three? It's not exactly something that makes me look forward to the inevitable forced switch. I'm fine with starting it up, click play and log in. No problemos.  

HassenderZerhacker #17 Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:17 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31443 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG
what I don't like is that it installs on C:\ without asking

TUD #18 Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 28959 battles
  • [GOM] GOM

View PostBalc0ra, on 19 October 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

If that is an issue for your system. Then game center is not needed to run or start the game, just to update it and autolog you on. You can close it after you start WOT with no issues. Or go to the launcher setting and tell it not to launch when Windows starts and use a shortcut to start WOT instead just fine. Downside then is that it won't check for updates, and you have to login the old way. 

trust me. i have no problem on running the GC. but its just a simple thing. i just want the have the option to choose what i want on my pc. and sure there is alote of diffrent things you can do whit the launcher and am fully aware that you can close it down when you are in a game and stop seeding and all that jazz.

you dont go and buy a lambo and agree whit a ford fiesta 1,1L engine and you pay 4mill for the car. this is the same. you spend premium time you buy tanks ships plane and so on.

this is just so we can have a choice in what we put on ouer pc ad an end user. i have used that GC before i did a wipe on my pc. so am fully aware of what and what not i can doo whit it. and i allso think its a incredebal idea to have and it wil be a grate tool "WHEN ITS DONE" :) but i simply just want the option to choose. and for others that might allso be a bether option allso. its so manny diffrent senarios arround whit outdated pc bad internet connection. there is endless diffrent possebilitys.

22:21 Added after 2 minute

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 19 October 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

am pritty sure you can go in and choose what drive it can be saved on. but it wil allways have some parts on Cdrive when you have a short cut for the game

HassenderZerhacker #19 Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:25 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31443 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostTUD, on 19 October 2019 - 11:18 PM, said:

am pritty sure you can go in and choose what drive it can be saved on. but it wil allways have some parts on Cdrive when you have a short cut for the gamea

it asks where to put the games, but the WGC itself will just drop itself without authorization onto your system drive.

Homer_J #20 Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32802 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 19 October 2019 - 11:17 PM, said:

I'm pretty certain it gave me a choice when I installed it last week.

Maybe earlier versions didn't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users