RNG doesn't exist

RNG

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

SilviuCS #1 Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11908 battles

Hello there fellow tankers (not you EBR) 

I would like to say that people should stop using the term RNG, as computers can't give out truly random numbers. 

Just like the slots machines. 

Every time I have a great game, a disaster of a game has to follow.  AND HOW THE FCK DO YOU CRIT HIT THE SIDE OF A WOLVERINE WITH A 105mm GUN. That thing has 20mm of armor, didn't even track him.

I still like the game but sometimes (25%) things either go really well or really bad. Fully aimed on target, misses. 0.41 dispersion and 2.9 aim time , driving and fire on the move, hits tank 300m away dead on. Yeah man sure, my aim circle was the size of china but it went dead on to that tank.

But who knows maybe this is what Wargaming wants, keeps the game interesting. Otherwise it'll be boring maybe idk. 

Tnx guys, or girls

ziratulbihac #2 Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:04 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4263 battles

I've heard that WG plans to sell +25% RNG tonics, so if you are afraid of those -25% .. WG Tonic will make it 0 or +25% .

10 x 2h = just 19,99$

Nishi_Kinuyo #3 Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:10 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9181 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostSilviuCS, on 20 October 2019 - 10:50 PM, said:

I would like to say that people should stop using the term RNG, as computers can't give out truly random numbers. 

Every time I have a great game, a disaster of a game has to follow.  AND HOW THE FCK DO YOU CRIT HIT THE SIDE OF A WOLVERINE WITH A 105mm GUN. That thing has 20mm of armor, didn't even track him.

I still like the game but sometimes (25%) things either go really well or really bad. Fully aimed on target, misses. 0.41 dispersion and 2.9 aim time , driving and fire on the move, hits tank 300m away dead on. Yeah man sure, my aim circle was the size of china but it went dead on to that tank.

But who knows maybe this is what Wargaming wants, keeps the game interesting. Otherwise it'll be boring maybe idk. 

Tnx guys, or girls

It has a strip of spaced armour on the side, you probably hit that.

BravelyRanAway #4 Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24357 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostSilviuCS, on 20 October 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

Tnx guys, or girls

Yes...I agree, this happens every single time...oh wait it doesn't....but it's worth a thread, right!:facepalm:

unhappy_bunny #5 Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:18 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19923 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

So what would call the system used to decide if a shot hits where it was aimed, hits some other part of the target, or misses, and if it hits , how much damage it does? 

Its true that a random number generated by a computer is done using some sort of algorithm such as picking a digit from the system timer or  something similar. All it can do is produce a number as random as possible. Lets face it, if they took the system time, in seconds, to about 10 decimal places and used that last digit, the human brain has no way of calculating or predicting that number, therefore it is as good as random. 

Alternatively, they could flip a coin when you hit the fire button and if its heads you hit, if its tails you miss. Even coin tosses are random if done properly. 

XxKuzkina_MatxX #6 Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:33 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

View PostSilviuCS, on 21 October 2019 - 01:50 AM, said:

A shell could miss the lower side hull armor and hit the ground under the tank. It can be a HEAT shell and get absorbed by the tracks or spaced side armor which the Wolverine has. OR it could've an AP/APCR shell but failed to penetrate the actual side armor after going through the spaced armor.

The point being sometimes it working with you like the shot from 300m on the move or against you. It's an equal opportunity setup, everyone gets a chance just not with every shell at every battle. And if you think about it this way, it'll get tedious very fast if every time you shoot, your shell hits and pens with the enemy doing the same.

You mitigate that by staying longer in the battle and shooting your gun more often. Taking good positions will help with that a lot.

Homer_J #7 Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:24 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32802 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

AND HOW DO YOU CRIT HIT THE SIDE OF A WOLVERINE WITH A 105mm GUN. That thing has 20mm of armor, didn't even track him.

By aiming poorly (or not at all).

Dorander #8 Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:28 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

View PostSilviuCS, on 20 October 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

Actually...

https://www.random.org

Not that that is probably the method used here, but it doesn't matter for your result whether the game uses PRNG or TRNG, it's perfectly fine to call it RNG because the number is indetermined until a human being makes a decision. So if PRNG isn't allowed to be called RNG because computers can't generate random numbres, then humans can't either and we're all just living in a deterministic world.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #9 Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:36 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34294 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

Fully aimed on target, misses. 0.41 dispersion and 2.9 aim time , driving and fire on the move, hits tank 300m away dead on. Yeah man sure, my aim circle was the size of china but it went dead on to that tank.

Just as a quick intelligence test before we go any further, just so we know what we're dealing with, are you suggesting that if there is a tank 300m away and you aim your reticle at it then it is impossible for the shell to go where you aim and hit that 300m away tank?

Baldrickk #10 Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:13 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostDorander, on 21 October 2019 - 12:28 AM, said:

Actually...

https://www.random.org

Not that that is probably the method used here, but it doesn't matter for your result whether the game uses PRNG or TRNG, it's perfectly fine to call it RNG because the number is indetermined until a human being makes a decision. So if PRNG isn't allowed to be called RNG because computers can't generate random numbres, then humans can't either and we're all just living in a deterministic world.

Even a PRNG is better at generating random numbers than a person.

People suck at random numbers

Dorander #11 Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 21 October 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

Even a PRNG is better at generating random numbers than a person.

People suck at random numbers

Oh absolutely. I was merely remarking on the OP's perspective that it isn't RNG because there's a deterministic component in the entire process of machinery, completely ignoring the fact that there's a deterministic component in all forms of RNG, no matter if a human handles a coin, a die, or makes a decision when to press a button. Physics be physics.

jabster #12 Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12754 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostDorander, on 21 October 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

Oh absolutely. I was merely remarking on the OP's perspective that it isn't RNG because there's a deterministic component in the entire process of machinery, completely ignoring the fact that there's a deterministic component in all forms of RNG, no matter if a human handles a coin, a die, or makes a decision when to press a button. Physics be physics.

And physics quite possibly holds many WTF moments yet.

Baldrickk #13 Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostDorander, on 21 October 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

Yes.  I was just supplementing that.

SuperOlsson #14 Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23931 battles
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM
Ok everyone, you heard him! Stop using the term RNG! Op doesn't think the not-RNG in WoT is random enough.

SilviuCS #15 Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11908 battles

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 20 October 2019 - 10:18 PM, said:

So what would call the system used to decide if a shot hits where it was aimed, hits some other part of the target, or misses, and if it hits , how much damage it does? 

Its true that a random number generated by a computer is done using some sort of algorithm such as picking a digit from the system timer or  something similar. All it can do is produce a number as random as possible. Lets face it, if they took the system time, in seconds, to about 10 decimal places and used that last digit, the human brain has no way of calculating or predicting that number, therefore it is as good as random. 

Alternatively, they could flip a coin when you hit the fire button and if its heads you hit, if its tails you miss. Even coin tosses are random if done properly. 

Yes and they can just add a variable depending how well or bad you play that increases or decreases the chance you'll hit the target.  Or increase the chance you'll get ammo racked or blow up. And noone can prove anything directly. Unless you work for Wargaming and have access to proof. How can you prove the dice are loaded if you can't touch them.

17:54 Added after 9 minute

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 21 October 2019 - 02:36 AM, said:

Just as a quick intelligence test before we go any further, just so we know what we're dealing with, are you suggesting that if there is a tank 300m away and you aim your reticle at it then it is impossible for the shell to go where you aim and hit that 300m away tank?

Yes thank you. I am saying from the few times I fire on the move I remember at least 2 times when I hit a tank 300m or more away with barely even aiming and while driving. Just snap turned turret and shot. (2.9 aim time and 0.41 dispersion), you do the math and tell me the chances of that actually hitting that target if it were truly random.  And sure other times target is 20m away so I autoaim and shoot and I miss. Sure man random. It's just a cover up, noone can prove anything. How can you prove dice are loaded if you can't see or touch them. 

17:56 Added after 11 minute

View PostSuperOlsson, on 21 October 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

Ok everyone, you heard him! Stop using the term RNG! Op doesn't think the not-RNG in WoT is random enough.

Thank you SuperOlsson

BravelyRanAway #16 Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24357 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostSilviuCS, on 21 October 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

Yes and they can just add a variable depending how well or bad you play that increases or decreases the chance you'll hit the target.  Or increase the chance you'll get ammo racked or blow up. And noone can prove anything directly. Unless you work for Wargaming and have access to proof. How can you prove the dice are loaded if you can't touch them.

You can take a load of players of different ability into a training room and shoot to your hearts content. 

But here's a top tip, bad players have a poor hit rate and good players have a better one.

Nishi_Kinuyo #17 Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9181 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Obligatory dilbert.

SilviuCS #18 Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:09 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11908 battles

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 21 October 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

You can take a load of players of different ability into a training room and shoot to your hearts content. 

But here's a top tip, bad players have a poor hit rate and good players have a better one.

Oh you can't take those stats too seriously. Most games I shoot a few rounds at random for fun ( not above tier 8 tho).  

I don't take this game too serious, I'm just ranting a bit guys. Or girls.

Stay cool and have fun don't mind me. 

UserZer00 #19 Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12870 battles
Baby RNJesus cries everytime someone thinks he doesn't exist

Please don't make him cry

BravelyRanAway #20 Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24357 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostSilviuCS, on 21 October 2019 - 08:09 PM, said:

Oh you can't take those stats too seriously. Most games I shoot a few rounds at random for fun ( not above tier 8 tho).  

I don't take this game too serious, I'm just ranting a bit guys. Or girls.

Stay cool and have fun don't mind me. 

The one thing you ignore is that everything can be recorded by each player and checked. The evidence you're looking for is in the replays....if WG are rigging aim, it can easily be checked.

Got any more tin-foil conspiracy theories?

Also tagged with RNG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users