Can you suggest me how to play the Balckdog in random?

Blackdog LT Help

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Dava_117 #1 Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

Major General

• 23373 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I'm bored and there are few interesting thread up ATM, so is the perfect time to L2P.

With black market I bought the Blackdog. I really love it in FL. Zipping around, actively spotting, shooting HEP to EBRs, Lorr40t and HTs back, calling air attack on camping TDs. All sort of fun.

But FL is not always up and, end then, I may not have time for a whole FL game. So have to play it in random.

And there starts my problems. 

I have abysmal WR, frequently I have no idea what to do to be useful. 

I don't like passive spotting, because I like to pull the trigger. So I try to play the tank as a fast med, but get mostly owned by actual MTs and HTs in exchange of very few damage or assist.

I run mine with Rammer, Optics and Binos ( that will be switched with VStab at next 50% discount). Commander is close to get 6th sense and crew to be at 100% with cammo. I opened a thread back then about crew and equipment and I'm slowly following the outcome of that.

What do you do in map like Mountain Pass, Ensk or even Murovanka (here I usually got outspotted by meds without being able to see them)?

Thank you in advance. :)

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:47 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35288 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Try for some early spots, but be mindful of getting spotted in return but otherwise on a confined map you need to look for opportunities to flank and jab something then run away. Not sure how you're getting outspotted by meds tho, you should really be seeing them before they see you.

tajj7 #3 Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28892 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Crew might be a problem, crew skills are important for lights.

It's too big for an active scout and if you get caught put early it's not fast enough/small enough to avoid much fire so initial forward spots can leave you getting wrecked. You want to play it like lights play against WVs but probably against all lights, which is basically take a slightly more conservative early bush location with some hard cover or terrain to fall back behind and play counter light, use the HE to wreck enemy lights, then when (if) the game opens up you can use your mobility, visions, DPM and that HE again to create opportunities for you team or take advantage of opportunities they create. 

Really you have to play it like a fast paper med and counter-light (use the HE), avoid all fair fights, trades with meds or heavies etc. look for opportunities to play support/annoy. 

Something like Mountain Pass or Ensk is just generally hard to play in lights because they are close range brawling maps, you have to hope on those maps your heavies, armoured TDs/meds do their jobs and you can support them, looking for shots whilst the enemy is reloading, tracking shots, general distraction play, exploit the gaps they make.

There is no pattern of play for those maps in something paper because you are team reliant, if you team fails in the brawl corridors then you can't do much but keep falling back towards base to snipe.  You should be able to do the early spot on Mountain pass from both sides, either use the bush from the north or just peek the edge of the hill from south, that gets some early spots, from there its tough because that map is 2/3 corridor brawls and everyone else who can't brawl kind of just camps and hopes someone drives into them. 

To be honest I don't play it much anymore since the HWK-30 came out which I think is just a better version of it. 

You shouldn't get outspotted by meds though, its camo is not great but its not that bad if you load it with camo skill paint etc. and have the view range skills. 

HEATzk0pf #4 Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38223 battles

First Advice - invest 2 Mio in a Crew Book. Lights need good Crews and everything beyond 2,5 Skills makes your Life very hard.

The Blackdog doesnt have the best Camo, but a good Gun. As your Crew is not good yet, your Spotting Capabilites are ... not the best ... so play it a bit more passively and Spot only if its really worth and you have enough assist.

When you get owned by Meds, you are definitely too close - your Armor is non existent and you dont have the HP to trade. Go for useful trades and playit more as a Supporter with good speed.

Dont forget to take some HE with you, as the Pen is very good here and increases your DPM by much. Especially for countering Lights or hunting Arties its very helpful.

Have Fun!

Dava_117 #5 Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:45 PM

Major General

• 23373 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Thank you all.  

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 24 October 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

Not sure how you're getting outspotted by meds tho, you should really be seeing them before they see you.

View Posttajj7, on 24 October 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

You shouldn't get outspotted by meds though, its camo is not great but its not that bad if you load it with camo skill paint etc. and have the view range skills. 

That is quite weird indeed. When I go to the forest on Murovanka, I get to the centra hill and frequently got spotted there without spotting back the enemy detecting me. Guess they may be faster than me and getting close to the bushes before I can even reach them, but it's just a guess. Saw that happening also on Malinovka bushes near the lake and in other places.

I still lack the vision skills but I'm already close to 445m VR if not over it. Next time it happens may post a replay. Maybe you can have better luck in finding an explanation. :)

Edited by Dava_117, 24 October 2019 - 03:53 PM.

feoffle3 #6 Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13191 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1

My performance in the Blackdog sucks hugely so far. Yet I am doing very well in the standard Walker Bulldog.

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

vasilinhorulezz #7 Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:58 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29023 battles

Treat it like a medium more than a light, load HE > bully other lights.

View range is good and all, but this is not the most mobile and the camo is mediocre at best. It shines mostly because of the gun, not it's spotting ability.

fwhaatpiraat #8 Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 61076 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postvasilinhorulezz, on 24 October 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

Treat it like a medium more than a light, load HE > bully other lights.

View range is good and all, but this is not the most mobile and the camo is mediocre at best. It shines mostly because of the gun, not it's spotting ability.

This.

Solstad1069 #9 Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:20 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45956 battles
Most have been said, but always remember to count the number of light tanks before the battle begins.
Sometimes there are 4-5 lights then you can afford to play as a support to your agressive teammates.

Dava_117 #10 Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:27 PM

Major General

• 23373 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 24 October 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

This.

View PostSolstad1069, on 24 October 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

Most have been said, but always remember to count the number of light tanks before the battle begins.
Sometimes there are 4-5 lights then you can afford to play as a support to your agressive teammates.

Out of likes.

Thank you. :)

Inappropriate_noob #11 Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:33 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 17630 battles

View PostDava_117, on 24 October 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

I'm bored and there are few interesting thread up ATM, so is the perfect time to L2P.

With black market I bought the Blackdog. I really love it in FL. Zipping around, actively spotting, shooting HEP to EBRs, Lorr40t and HTs back, calling air attack on camping TDs. All sort of fun.

But FL is not always up and, end then, I may not have time for a whole FL game. So have to play it in random.

And there starts my problems. 

I have abysmal WR, frequently I have no idea what to do to be useful. 

I don't like passive spotting, because I like to pull the trigger. So I try to play the tank as a fast med, but get mostly owned by actual MTs and HTs in exchange of very few damage or assist.

I run mine with Rammer, Optics and Binos ( that will be switched with VStab at next 50% discount). Commander is close to get 6th sense and crew to be at 100% with cammo. I opened a thread back then about crew and equipment and I'm slowly following the outcome of that.

What do you do in map like Mountain Pass, Ensk or even Murovanka (here I usually got outspotted by meds without being able to see them)?

Thank you in advance. :)

Best way to play it, sell it, too tall to be sneaky so what the point of it is I do not know.

Dava_117 #12 Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:40 PM

Major General

• 23373 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNoobySkooby, on 24 October 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

Best way to play it, sell it, too tall to be sneaky so what the point of it is I do not know.

Well, being sneaky is not all for a LT. I like the firepower and speed, lovely in FL. Hope will master it with time. ;)

Negativvv #13 Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:23 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14884 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

As above but condensed. Don't fight things head on, try to flank and get side or rear shots. The rest is skill and map knowledge/reading.

Also take a healthy amount of HE. Black dog HE hits hard. Well that is until WG need HE.

TankkiPoju #14 Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24444 battles

There isn't a good way to play Blackdog. There are several reasons for this, but mainly the abundance of autoloaders with good guns, and fast meds (T-44-100, Progetto, Pantera, Standard B etc), and other light tanks.

Playing slow light tanks is a waste of time, because Progetto 46s can do the same and they also have superior firepower.

Long_Range_Sniper #15 Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38908 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

You also have to be prepared to use HEAT at the right time, because once you've taken a good position, it can cause mayhem to heavies and medium tanks with that 250 penetration.

Everyone else is correct about crew skills. I have 473 view range without food, and that's just about workable.

I suffered for my first fifty games as I played it too much as a light and tried to spot too often. Take key locations, cause problems, relocate. Then as the game changes phase, use the speed to position to maximise the gun. 250 games into it now and performing pretty well, but it's not a true spotting light tank. It's also not powerful enough for a medium tank.

Zmago5000 #16 Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14730 battles
maximise your view range and camo, so optics+ net  + binocs, crew with BIA+situational + recon and you should be fine,....

xx984 #17 Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:34 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 65841 battles
  • [HOOT] HOOT

I 3 marked it and will 3 mark it again (I have both versions) by playing as a supporting role to the mediums at the start and getting spots in the later game. Worked well for me. Pretty much how I play all my light tanks except a few maps.

By far most frustrating thing for me was the shell velocity which is why the HWK 30 is better imo

fun fact: HEAT on HWK is one of the few that goes faster than the apcr

Also tagged with Blackdog, LT, Help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users