Maus

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

RetroCh1cken #1 Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:51 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5163 battles
  • [-UM] -UM
So I finally managed to research this tank and didn't have to think twice about selling my mäuschen to get my hands on this beauty. Now, I'm as red as a tomato can possibly be so after around 17 or so battles in the Maus it feels like I'm doing quite good for my average skill level.
So I'm simply wondering, is the Maus just simply a very easy tank to play?

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34294 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Thick armor is always a bonus. 

splash_time #3 Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13128 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 26 October 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

So I finally managed to research this tank and didn't have to think twice about selling my mäuschen to get my hands on this beauty. Now, I'm as red as a tomato can possibly be so after around 17 or so battles in the Maus it feels like I'm doing quite good for my average skill level.
So I'm simply wondering, is the Maus just simply a very easy tank to play?

Yes, it is, just if you won't rush anywhere alone. 

Don't expose yourself more than needed, and do the right turret angling. 

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:09 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

Slow and armored tanks are easy to play but not easy to play well. Like every other class it's easy to get into a static, one dimensional mindset and ignore other game play possibilities. Paper TDs sit there and snipe the entire game, heavies go to the city and slug it out, lights go yolo and pray not to get hit, etc. You don't have to do any of that unless it's helping you win the battle.

RetroCh1cken #5 Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5163 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View Postsplash_time, on 26 October 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

Yes, it is, just if you won't rush anywhere alone. 

Don't expose yourself more than needed, and do the right turret angling. 

Ah okay then, thanks for helping me clear that up then. Just wondering though, sorry for asking but it might just be me. If the maus so easy to play how come it's not more popular? I don't see the Maus too often in battles, Is it cause people do not generally not like slow super-heavies?
Simply just curious.

NekoPuffer_PPP #6 Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34356 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

It's pretty easy once you know how to angle yourself properly against enemy fire. You'll have over 330mm of effective armor thickness if you're angled correctly...no premium shell is going through that reliably, except from TDs like the Jageru, etc.. HEAT loses way more penetration at extreme armor angles, and APCR has less normalization than AP, so it's around, say, 350mm effective vs APCR (when angled properly).

It's pretty much the only tank which can relatively reliably block 10k damage in a full tier 10 game in the middle of a brawl, if you know what you're doing and have an actual team around you.

Just remember to always point your turret 45° away from incoming fire while you're reloading...or just bouncing on purpose... :trollface:

RetroCh1cken #7 Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:18 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5163 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 26 October 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

Slow and armored tanks are easy to play but not easy to play well. Like every other class it's easy to get into a static, one dimensional mindset and ignore other game play possibilities. Paper TDs sit there and snipe the entire game, heavies go to the city and slug it out, lights go yolo and pray not to get hit, etc. You don't have to do any of that unless it's helping you win the battle.

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 26 October 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

It's pretty easy once you know how to angle yourself properly against enemy fire. You'll have over 330mm of effective armor thickness if you're angled correctly...no premium shell is going through that reliably, except from TDs like the Jageru, etc.. HEAT loses way more penetration at extreme armor angles, and APCR has less normalization than AP, so it's around, say, 350mm effective vs APCR (when angled properly).

It's pretty much the only tank which can relatively reliably block 10k damage in a full tier 10 game in the middle of a brawl, if you know what you're doing and have an actual team around you.

Just remember to always point your turret 45° away from incoming fire while you're reloading...or just bouncing on purpose... :trollface:

Both got a good point, just find it a bit weird how easy it became to play as a super heavy when transferred to the maus from the mäuschen. I mean, I went from my average dmg per battle score 786 to a much better 1558 dmg per battle when both tanks have the same gun. I have also multiple times blocked 4k dmg in the few battles I've played which is something that I don't even know if it happened once with my mäuschen.

splash_time #8 Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13128 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 26 October 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

Ah okay then, thanks for helping me clear that up then. Just wondering though, sorry for asking but it might just be me. If the maus so easy to play how come it's not more popular? I don't see the Maus too often in battles, Is it cause people do not generally not like slow super-heavies?
Simply just curious.

Because nobody like snails, most of players like speed, slow tanks mostly lose the last moments HP farming. 

And because they have slow reactions just like themselves. 

MightyBalls_2 #9 Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6705 battles
  • [MITY] MITY

Yes, you can drive like a retard and still get 2k damage, angle well and drive into locations where arty don't kill you slowly and you should easily get 3k damage a game

UrQuan #10 Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21373 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

The Maus is indeed an easy tank to play as it helps with several aspects:

- speed: no rushing to your death. Have to remember that part of the reason more skilled folks tend pick mobility over armor is the ability to make ambushes. They will stop at a location that makes it easy to shoot the early rushers. The Maus' speed makes sure you don't fall into this trap easy.

- survival: The armor & HP assures you don't get whacked for every little mistake you make. This helps you to come back easier from a wrong maneuver or overexteding your tank. In less armored tanks, especially at TX small mistakes are often gravely punished to the point of death. Tip: Drive Maus angled whenever you can (keep turret angled as well) to help your survival.

Do use this extra survival to learn from what happened & see if you can avoid said mistake in the future Do not rely on it! Even in the Maus saving HP can be good because a full HP Maus in the endgame is a nightmare to stop.

- It also comes with a reliable gun with viable AP & good APCR shells. The standard AP works on plenty of tanks giving you a nice TX tank that doesn't cost too much to play. The APCr shell is excellent & can penetrate the heaviest armored tanks as long as you pay attention to where you aim at them (Note: dug in armored tanks are an exception from this, but then only HE helps if you really need him gone)

- Last bit: viewrange. The Maus has a decent viewrange for an HT so you don't have to rely overly on spotters for targets (still need m for those bush-camping TD's)

Why don't you see them more? Because they're often too slow to dictate the pace & direction of the game (something a good player in a mobile tank can do). Mobility is king if you want to win games & the Maus is simply bad in this regard.

Also lack of armor knowledge plays into this tbh. Too many folks pick the Maus & expect it to roll over the enemy & when that fails, they blame the tank.

The Maus excels in survival. It can take more punishment then any other tank in general (in specific scenarios some tanks do better but on overall; the Maus is king in surviving things other tanks cannot). Doesn't mean it can roll over the enemy, but in turn, no enemy should be able to roll over you if you got the Maus' basics right. (angle up & don't over-extend & don't go alone!)

Note I find the Maus fun to play as it is the pinnacle of armored tanks, a playstyle I greatly enjoy. But I also understand why not too many folks enjoy it (the speed)

Edited by UrQuan, 26 October 2019 - 03:17 PM.

splash_time #11 Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13128 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 26 October 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

Both got a good point, just find it a bit weird how easy it became to play as a super heavy when transferred to the maus from the mäuschen. I mean, I went from my average dmg per battle score 786 to a much better 1558 dmg per battle when both tanks have the same gun. I have also multiple times blocked 4k dmg in the few battles I've played which is something that I don't even know if it happened once with my mäuschen.

Because of updating your Tier.

Your reload decrease from 12.9 down to 10.6 and sometimes 9.8 with food and bond equipments.

Also for aim time and accuracy. 

And Maus isn't as iconic tank for nothing. :)

NekoPuffer_PPP #12 Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34356 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 26 October 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

The big difference between the two: Maus is lacking a commander cupola. Its lower plate is also thicker, and the turret's sides are flat, compared to the Mauschen's curved sides, so angling is much easier, and more efficient.

The Maus has better gun handling too, that also helps. :)

RetroCh1cken #13 Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5163 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostUrQuan, on 26 October 2019 - 01:29 PM, said:

The Maus is indeed an easy tank to play as it helps with several aspects:

- speed: no rushing to your death. Have to remember that part of the reason more skilled folks tend pick mobility over armor is the ability to make ambushes. They will stop at a location that makes it easy to shoot the early rushers. The Maus' speed makes sure you don't fall into this trap easy.

- survival: The armor & HP assures you don't get whacked for every little mistake you make. This helps you to come back easier from a wrong maneuver or overexteding your tank. In less armored tanks, especially at TX small mistakes are often gravely punished to the point of death. Tip: Drive Maus angled whenever you can (keep turret angled as well) to help your survival.

Do use this extra survival to learn from what happened & see if you can avoid said mistake in the future Do not rely on it! Even in the Maus saving HP can be good because a full HP Maus in the endgame is a nightmare to stop.

- It also comes with a reliable gun with viable AP & good APCR shells. The standard AP works on plenty of tanks giving you a nice TX tank that doesn't cost too much to play. The APCr shell is excellent & can penetrate the heaviest armored tanks as long as you pay attention to where you aim at them (Note: dug in armored tanks are an exception from this, but then only HE helps if you really need him gone)

- Last bit: viewrange. The Maus has a decent viewrange for an HT so you don't have to rely overly on spotters for targets (still need m for those bush-camping TD's)

Why don't you see them more? Because they're often too slow to dictate the pace & direction of the game (something a good player in a mobile tank can do). Mobility is king if you want to win games & the Maus is simply bad in this regard.

Also lack of armor knowledge plays into this tbh. Too many folks pick the Maus & expect it to roll over the enemy & when that fails, they blame the tank.

The Maus excels in survival. It can take more punishment then any other tank in general (in specific scenarios some tanks do better but on overall; the Maus is king in surviving things other tanks cannot). Doesn't mean ti can roll over the enemy, but in turn, no enemy should be able to roll over you if you got the Maus' basics right. (angle up & don't over-extend & don't go alone!)

Note I find the Maus fun to play as it is the pinnacle of armored tanks, a playstyle I greatly enjoy. But I also understand why not too many folks enjoy it (the speed)

Oh, thanks for the explanation, this explains quite a bit.
Might I ask though, shouldn't the maus be a pretty good tank to turn a losing battle into a victory. Strategically in a scenario where one side is winning and one is loosing, I've found that the Maus is pretty good at fighting multiple tanks at once by itself or even defending the almost dead remaining teammates.
One time I managed to fight off 4 tanks for almost the whole match and on top of that I managed to protect my teammates from incoming shots multiple times, the only reason we lost was cause we were loosing on all sides which meant, in the end, run I got flanked and destroyed either way.  

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 26 October 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

The big difference between the two: Maus is lacking a commander cupola. Its lower plate is also thicker, and the turret's sides are flat, compared to the Mauschen's curved sides, so angling is much easier, and more efficient.

The Maus has better gun handling too, that also helps. :)

Oh, so the curved turret on the mäuschen is actually a disadvantage? That might explain a bit, actually thought that was a good thing.

13:42 Added after 2 minute

View Postsplash_time, on 26 October 2019 - 01:29 PM, said:

Because of updating your Tier.

Your reload decrease from 12.9 down to 10.6 and sometimes 9.8 with food and bond equipments.

Also for aim time and accuracy. 

And Maus isn't as iconic tank for nothing. :)

Yeah but I'm also getting matched against higher tiers, I'm not really going to fight any tier 7 anymore for example. 

RamRaid90 #14 Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25976 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

Maus is easy to play, you'll survive longer in it than you will anything else.

But when played badly you're just a giant pinata for people hunting tank marks.

To be blunt, and this is in no way meant to be nasty, the OP would be better off backing down the tiers and learning the game better before moving up to a Maus. Based on your current gameplay you're going to spend most of your games being nothing but a dead hull down position for the rest of your team.

Edited by RamRaid90, 26 October 2019 - 02:54 PM.

RetroCh1cken #15 Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5163 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostRamRaid90, on 26 October 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

Maus is easy to play, you'll survive longer in it than you will anything else.

But when played badly you're just a giant pinata for people hunting tank marks.

To be blunt, and this is in no way meant to be nasty, the OP would be better off backing down the tiers and learning the game better before moving up to a Maus. Based on your current gameplay you're going to spend most of your games being nothing but a dead hull down position for the rest of your team.

No offence taken but I've been playing this since 2013 and I don't think I can wait more to "learn the basics", especially when this is my first tier 10.
I do think I'm doing pretty decent though, in my maus, I'm usually blocking between 2-3k dmg, and giving out often 2k dmg per battle if it is not an unlucky one where artys manage to almost kill me before even getting to the action.

UrQuan #16 Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21373 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 26 October 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

Oh, thanks for the explanation, this explains quite a bit.
Might I ask though, shouldn't the maus be a pretty good tank to turn a losing battle into a victory. Strategically in a scenario where one side is winning and one is loosing, I've found that the Maus is pretty good at fighting multiple tanks at once by itself or even defending the almost dead remaining teammates.
One time I managed to fight off 4 tanks for almost the whole match and on top of that I managed to protect my teammates from incoming shots multiple times, the only reason we lost was cause we were loosing on all sides which meant, in the end, run I got flanked and destroyed either way.  

Correct. Still can't do it alone (as you noticed), but a Maus can indeed turn battles into their favour, even when it looks terrible. It is one of the strong points of a Maus. You can face off against multiple opponents & still come out on top regularly (even with minimal support).

It is why saving HP is important, so you got spare HP when it all goes down the drain & your teammates need you to hold back the enemy tide. Or when your teammates need you to dig out that TD nest.

Ofc, drawback of the Maus is that the lack of speed prevents it from supporting a fast-moving front/attack (and thereby can make things harder in other games)

Keep in mind playing the Maus is also playing with the team. If your team is advancing rapidly, try to keep up. If your team is being campy, don't go around that corner if that means nobody can shoot your targets (the Maus really is too slow to react when it gets rushed by most tanks)

Edit: the first bit also works in reverse. If the game goes bad & you are not in a slow tank; try to fall back to your (toptier) armored tank. An armored tank lacks the mobility to win efficiently against multiple enemies, but a bit of support goes a long way to turn the odds as the armor & HP can keep him alive + the HT acts as a decoy for you so you can shoot with less risk.

You can always do more with others nearby then alone.

Edited by UrQuan, 26 October 2019 - 03:23 PM.

RetroCh1cken #17 Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5163 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostUrQuan, on 26 October 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

Correct. Still can't do it alone (as you noticed), but a Maus can indeed turn battles into their favour, even when it looks terrible. It is one of the strong points of a Maus. You can face off against multiple opponents & still come out on top regularly (even with minimal support).

It is why saving HP is important, so you got spare HP when it all goes down the drain & your teammates need you to hold back the enemy tide. Or when your teammates need you to dig out that TD nest.

Ofc, drawback of the Maus is that the lack of speed prevents it from supporting a fast-moving front/attack (and thereby can make things harder in other games)

Keep in mind playing the Maus is also playing with the team. If your team is advancing rapidly, try to keep up. If your team is being campy, don't go around that corner if that means nobody can shoot your targets (the Maus really is too slow to react when it gets rushed by most tanks)

Ah okay, then I understand what you mean. Thanks for tips, gonna try these out more

Bordhaw #18 Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:01 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 15042 battles

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 26 October 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

No offence taken but I've been playing this since 2013 and I don't think I can wait more to "learn the basics", especially when this is my first tier 10.
I do think I'm doing pretty decent though, in my maus,

NekoPuffer_PPP #19 Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:17 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34356 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostBordhaw, on 26 October 2019 - 09:01 PM, said:

Reminds me of my father. #OffTopic

shikaka9 #20 Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 71169 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
Gold bu**ake tenk .. 

Edited by shikaka9, 26 October 2019 - 10:26 PM.

Also tagged with Maus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users