Chat restrictions: Finding out why (solved)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

UserZer00 #1 Posted 27 October 2019 - 10:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

Not a complaint, gripe, whine, etc....

Basic summary:

- Logged in to play this morning, tried typing a message in chat and was informed that I was banned for three days (I think) due to an insult, derogatory behavior or something to that effect.

- I make it a point to avoid such things in chat and am really curious as to what I might have said that could have been seen as such.

- Before anyone asks, no, I didn't use the word oxymoron.  That much I'm sure of.

Is there any other way (besides a ticket to support (already created BTW)) as to what it was that was deemed bannable?

I'm guessing that there isn't, but am just checking since it's Sunday morning and I felt like posting anyway

Edited by UserZer00, 27 October 2019 - 10:17 PM.

ChristOfTheAbyss #2 Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 251 battles
We cant help, ask support.

Rataplan #3 Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19490 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Maybe you said homonym, mentioned you were born in Scunthorpe ? Have you been talking about manuscripts or did you tell the public about the nasty effects of tetanus ?

In short, who knows ?

Edited by Rataplan, 27 October 2019 - 11:12 AM.

UserZer00 #4 Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

View PostRataplan, on 27 October 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

Maybe you said homonym, mentioned you were born in Scunthorpe ? Have you been talking about manuscripts or did you tell the public about the nasty effects of tetanus ?

In short, who knows ?

At this time only the chat moderator or the auto ban system knows.  The point is that I'd like to know so that I can avoid it in the future.

I guess I'll just wait and see if support can give me the information.

It's just a shame that the in game chat isn't archived and published as a book every year.  A sure best seller.  (Yes, that is sarcasm)

For now it's just like waking up with a bruise and not remembering where you got it from.  Slightly annoying, a curious situation, but nothing that you can't live without knowing.

Erwin_Von_Braun #5 Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:55 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42908 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostUserZer00, on 27 October 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

Basic summary:

- Logged in to play this morning, tried typing a message in chat and was informed that I was banned for three days (I think) due to an insult, derogatory behavior or something to that effect.

- I make it a point to avoid such things in chat and am really curious as to what I might have said that could have been seen as such.

- Before anyone asks, no, I didn't use the word oxymoron.  That much I'm sure of.

Is there any other way (besides a ticket to support (already created BTW)) as to what it was that was deemed bannable?

I'm guessing that there isn't, but am just checking since it's Sunday morning and I felt like posting anyway

I'm going to guess a lethal combination of drink & flapping your chops at the wrong person - no disrespect intended, I'm sure I've fallen foul of it myself on a couple of occasions.:hiding:

UserZer00 #6 Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 27 October 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

I'm going to guess a lethal combination of drink & flapping your chops at the wrong person - no disrespect intended, I'm sure I've fallen foul of it myself on a couple of occasions.:hiding:

None taken.

I wasn't drinking yesterday, but using your analogy: In the cases where I've had too much to drink and have flapped my chops to the wrong person it's always good to know what I said under those circumstances.  

So in effect, this post (and my ticket to support) is my way of performing the "morning after" routine.

wsatnutter #7 Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:22 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26463 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
buy a fort knox package and ban will be lifted :trollface:

mpf1959 #8 Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29043 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
[edited]chat! :playing:

fwhaatpiraat #9 Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 59357 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
"Noob team" is known for triggering chat bans.

UserZer00 #10 Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

View Postwsatnutter, on 27 October 2019 - 12:22 PM, said:

buy a fort knox package and ban will be lifted :trollface:

Well, since it will be lifted on the 28th at 8:59 anyway I think I'll avoid testing that solution.

:)

Tilly042 #11 Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 35028 battles
Chat bans came thick and fast a few months ago, myself included.  I asked a similar question to be told I must have said something and perhaps that is true but like you, I don't know what.  Anyway, I haven't been chat banned for a while now and even then it was only once.  I think its simply folks using the report system with wanton abandon because they can quite frankly.  Get a few of those and that's it, chat banned and you'll never know the cause.

IntruderFI #12 Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 49893 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View PostUserZer00, on 27 October 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Basic summary:

Did you type in general chat in game?

That is one place where saying something non offensive can get you banned cos the mods there are pepega

UserZer00 #13 Posted 27 October 2019 - 01:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

View PostTilly042, on 27 October 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

Chat bans came thick and fast a few months ago, myself included.  I asked a similar question to be told I must have said something and perhaps that is true but like you, I don't know what.  Anyway, I haven't been chat banned for a while now and even then it was only once.  I think its simply folks using the report system with wanton abandon because they can quite frankly.  Get a few of those and that's it, chat banned and you'll never know the cause.

Well, when it happened in the past I just kept the support ticket open until I got a human response.  They dug up something from the chat logs that was said months prior to the ban, not applicable to the ban itself.

Maybe they just have a random system that bans everyone from time to time, knowing that they can find some justification?   (No, I don't really believe that!)

This really just is a case of wanting to know what I said in order to know if there are other examples like "oxymoron" that are making their way into the system.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't something like "noob" or anything similar as I don't comment on peoples abilities.

12:07 Added after 6 minute

View PostIntruderFI, on 27 October 2019 - 12:58 PM, said:

Did you type in general chat in game?

That is one place where saying something non offensive can get you banned cos the mods there are pepega

I do frequent general chat and I'm pretty sure that the ban is related to something said in there, just wondering what it was.

I have nothing against any of the mods, they try to "police" the un-policable, receive a lot of insults, get game related questions they can't answer, etc.  

Once all the spam, complaints and other things are filtered out of the general chat it can actually be a fun place to chat. 

WG could make it a lot easier by making it so the "general" chat could be configured to a default language of your choice, to ensure that you start it and can chat in your language.  Making it "english only" and not making language choice simple is only asking for headaches.

UserZer00 #14 Posted 27 October 2019 - 02:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

So far have received two automated (or copy paste) replies from the support ticket.

Of course, it is Sunday, so this may be their slow day.

MeetriX #15 Posted 27 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 24071 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

View PostChristOfTheAbyss, on 27 October 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

We cant help, ask support.

Support can't help either.

UserZer00 #16 Posted 27 October 2019 - 03:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

View PostMeetriX, on 27 October 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

Support can't help either.

But they make it more interesting with their automated response cycle to filter out the non stubborn individuals.

14:07 Added after 6 minute
I'll just mention that qpranger liked the thread before anyone else gets a chance to comment on it (since it's kind of a forum custom after all)

PowJay #17 Posted 27 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40077 battles

If I get chat-banned again, it's only a question of which of the many in-game insults and after-match messages I got pulled up for.

I do get rather narked with players who simply demonstrate NO interest in making ANY effort to win. Why on earth are they here?

I opened a chat to a light tank driver the other day with appalling stats. Sat in the middle of Pilsen the entire battle and didn't even make an effort to spot the base for reset- which may at least have given us a chance. He claimed to be "a professional BMX rider" I asked him if he just sits on his bike and looks cool, or does he actually have to ride it?

So many idiots have been contacted recently- like the useless tool who clicked and clicked and clicked on my square the entire battle while he had 983 damage and I had over 4,000 and High Calibre. Another sub-48% WR player.

I do, at least, know that the in-game chat banning does work. I am not convinced in the slightest that any other report has any effect.

UserZer00 #18 Posted 27 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

Are they being lazy (not wanting to check the chat records) or have they reached a new level of silliness?

Not allowed to discuss evidence and proofs of something I did?

If we don't know what we did how are we suppose to avoid it?  At least in the past they provided the reason.

I'm sorry, but if this is their actual policy these days then it is just about the silliest thing I have seen in a while.   

Not that I am surprised.  

I won't post the whole reply since it's probably against a rule somewhere, but the basic idea is :

They can honestly confirm, that there was a reason, that is good enough for the sanction. Unfortunately they are not allowed to reveal reasons, other than the one shown in the game as a notification. They are not allowed to discuss evidence and proofs.

Fun fun fun

Miepie #19 Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4291 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostUserZer00, on 27 October 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

I wasn't drinking yesterday, but using your analogy: 

I'm sure "analogy" is another word that can get you banned. :great:

UserZer00 #20 Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

View PostMiepie, on 27 October 2019 - 09:49 PM, said:

I'm sure "analogy" is another word that can get you banned. :great:

Probably, but evidently they won't actually tell you if that's the case.

I still haven't been able to get a clear answer as to what it was I said to earn the ban.

It's starting to make me think that they stopped giving out details because they had too many instances of people being banned for words like analogy, oxymoron, etc. and didn't want to have to keep dealing with removing bans, defending their mods, etc. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users