New Player Gameplay Advice Tips

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

TheAlba2014 #1 Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:03 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1131 battles

Hi all,

I'm a (fairly) new player and wanted to ask for general gameplay tips and advice on how to improve as a player. I started WoT last September, coming from WoWS where I am a decent enough player.

So far I have most lines from T3 to T5, all with sub par crews (i.e.very few even have sixth sense at this point). My performance is also sub par across the board going by my stats, so clearly there's plenty of room for improvement.

To pre-empt any mention of my owning premium tanks, I should say that I have never played any on a tier that I don't already have a silver tank on, so T6 and above I've never played with yet in a random battle, and don't intend to until I can play better.

I have played my T8 tanks in frontline more recently for credits, and this has driven home how much further I have to develop as a player since I regularly only get Lieutenant rank and in the bottom 10 of my team with between 3.5k and 4k damage plus assistance.

Is it a case if play more and gain more experience and l2p, or are there more basic principles I can apply to each of the different classes. I say this as I've yet to determine what class I prefer or what "playstyle".

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated! :playing:

Alba

Negativvv #2 Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:06 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13519 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

I came from WoWS too as that game is pretty fail now and doing way worse than WoT imo.

Play T5 for a few thousand games maybe, get a few tanks of every type and decide what you like to play then grind those line further up.

I wouldn't go into T8+ for awhile.

One specific difference between Ships and Tanks is that WoT is far more map and lineup dependant. Those only come with experience, if you play high tiers now you'll just get farmed a lot because you were caught out of position. 

TheAlba2014 #3 Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:13 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1131 battles

View PostNegativvv, on 28 October 2019 - 01:06 AM, said:

I came from WoWS too as that game is pretty fail now and doing way worse than WoT imo.

Play T5 for a few thousand games maybe, get a few tanks of every type and decide what you like to play then grind those line further up.

I wouldn't go into T8+ for awhile.

One specific difference between Ships and Tanks is that WoT is far more map and lineup dependant. Those only come with experience, if you play high tiers now you'll just get farmed a lot because you were caught out of position. 

Hey Negativvv,

Recognise the name from the forum. Yeah, not played much random at all since CV reeeework. Play lots of T5 and best to build up crew skills too I suppose? Still not figured out when to push and when to camp, even more so with poor crew skills (more accurately none at all). Does things gets much better with sixth sense and some camo/repairs?

NoobySkooby #4 Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:22 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 17313 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

Best advice, find another game,this one will drive you nuts.

Oh and WoW's is far superior to this crap, camo's and flags to help boost your way to the top,plus a co op sections where your not thrust right into the main randoms, almost perfection:popcorn:

Edited by NoobySkooby, 28 October 2019 - 01:25 AM.

Negativvv #5 Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13519 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostTheAlba2014, on 28 October 2019 - 01:13 AM, said:

Hey Negativvv,

Recognise the name from the forum. Yeah, not played much random at all since CV reeeework. Play lots of T5 and best to build up crew skills too I suppose? Still not figured out when to push and when to camp, even more so with poor crew skills (more accurately none at all). Does things gets much better with sixth sense and some camo/repairs?

I stopped at the CV rework too, WG refuse to refund me for my Prem CVs or give me their amount in Gold for WoT.

6th sense is necessary imo, best way to get it is via campaigns or sign up for Twitch Prime for their crews (can cancel immediately after but still keep the loot!) 

Camo for LTs and Repairs for HT, Mediums can go either first but it depends how you play.

https://wotguru.com/map-strategy/ that website gives you an idea of map strategies, I watch Skill4Ltu and LemmingRush on YouTube for pointers too. 

Don't be tempted to buy lots of Prem tanks, most are meh and the good ones go on sale often enough. 

TheAlba2014 #6 Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:26 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1131 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 28 October 2019 - 01:22 AM, said:

Best advice, find another game,this one will drive you nuts.

And yet when it's good it can be really good! Although already I know what you mean (some team mates can be so lovely and encouraging sometimes) :girl:

NoobySkooby #7 Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:28 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 17313 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostTheAlba2014, on 28 October 2019 - 01:26 AM, said:

And yet when it's good it can be really good! Although already I know what you mean (some team mates can be so lovely and encouraging sometimes) :girl:

Now that is very very true, it is finding the good ones that give advice without judging the stats that counts:great:

TheAlba2014 #8 Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:31 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1131 battles

View PostNegativvv, on 28 October 2019 - 01:25 AM, said:

I stopped at the CV rework too, WG refuse to refund me for my Prem CVs or give me their amount in Gold for WoT.

6th sense is necessary imo, best way to get it is via campaigns or sign up for Twitch Prime for their crews (can cancel immediately after but still keep the loot!) 

Camo for LTs and Repairs for HT, Mediums can go either first but it depends how you play.

https://wotguru.com/map-strategy/ that website gives you an idea of map strategies, I watch Skill4Ltu and LemmingRush on YouTube for pointers too. 

Don't be tempted to buy lots of Prem tanks, most are meh and the good ones go on sale often enough. 

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I'll definitely be checking out the map guides.

How do you get 6th sense via campaigns, is that the female crew member rewards?

I've already succumbed, but I won't be buying any more bar one which like you say goes on sale often enough I don't have to rush anytime soon. Wallet firmly put away after recent events.

P.S. Did they say why they refused to give a refund, the whole thing was/is a mess. Wouldn't surprise me if they have to pull the whole lot again

Edited by TheAlba2014, 28 October 2019 - 01:32 AM.

Negativvv #9 Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13519 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostTheAlba2014, on 28 October 2019 - 01:31 AM, said:

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I'll definitely be checking out the map guides.

How do you get 6th sense via campaigns, is that the female crew member rewards?

I've already succumbed, but I won't be buying any more bar one which like you say goes on sale often enough I don't have to rush anytime soon. Wallet firmly put away after recent events.

Female crew rewards, the StUG VI missions aren't too hard to achieve I don't think.

Save them for the Commander, but to get started the Twitch Prime ones are good as they're totally free, might have to pay to reskill them however. You want Brothers in Arms for all crew members eventually as it's pretty useful as it gives buffs to everything.

Further down the line, aim for a few choice tanks in the tech tree as your keepers. I don't waste time grinding random mediocre tanks.  

TheAlba2014 #10 Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:34 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1131 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 28 October 2019 - 01:28 AM, said:

Now that is very very true, it is finding the good ones that give advice without judging the stats that counts:great:

In WoWS I just kind of knew what to do after a while, with this...not so much. Then again I started in open beta with the former and many years later with the latter!

00:39 Added after 4 minute

View PostNegativvv, on 28 October 2019 - 01:34 AM, said:

Female crew rewards, the StUG VI missions aren't too hard to achieve I don't think.

Save them for the Commander, but to get started the Twitch Prime ones are good as they're totally free, might have to pay to reskill them however. You want Brothers in Arms for all crew members eventually as it's pretty useful as it gives buffs to everything.

Further down the line, aim for a few choice tanks in the tech tree as your keepers. I don't waste time grinding random mediocre tanks.  

So play fewer lines and don't worry about getting to T10, sounds like my WoWS journey as in not worrying about getting to T10 in a rush

Negativvv #11 Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:42 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13519 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostTheAlba2014, on 28 October 2019 - 01:34 AM, said:

So play fewer lines and don't worry about getting to T10, sounds like my WoWS journey as in not worrying about getting to T10 in a rush

I've got a fair few T10 tanks but I've barely played them, I plan to at some point in the future. T9 is a pretty good tier as the MM is less brutal but the tanks are still solid. All in good time however.

Just do little things like save FXP for modules, maximise event and XP buffs to cut down grinds etc. Or just focus on good Prems and buy loads of crew books for 2 mil creds each and train really good crews. 

Learn the bush mechanic (e.g a solid bush means you can shoot without being detected) and which tanks have good gun depression for ridge line fighting. Learn sidescraping but it doesn't work in every tank. 

NUKLEAR_SLUG #12 Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:39 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34294 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Work on your crews, you need to get 6th sense as a priority on everything, especially as you go up the tiers so stay at tier 3 until you have a commander with 6th and then you can move up the tiers with him.

TankkiPoju #13 Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:54 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 23726 battles

Abandon all other lines, and just play Russian medium and heavy tanks.

Go either IS7 or Obj430U lines at first.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #14 Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles
  • Familiarize yourself with your tank's characteristics. That way you can use it to its strengths and mitigate its weaknesses.
  • You need to know the maps well and wotguru is a good place to read about different positions for different tanks/classes. Note that sometimes a good position is no longer tenable depending on the deployment of your team and the enemy's.
  • Situational awareness is very important. You need to look at the mini map often, analyze the data you got from it and make a decision. Is it time to attack or relocate? Does the enemy have a weak deployment somewhere? Where is the best position to do damage?
  • Factor in whenever you play if you're top or bottom tier in addition to what class you're playing. The same tactics that work when you're top tier may not be applicable when you're bottom tier.
  • Start with good, easy to play lines and don't go up the tiers unless you're confident enough about your performance. Good thing that you're doing that already.

Good luck!

Long_Range_Sniper #15 Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37582 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostTheAlba2014, on 28 October 2019 - 12:03 AM, said:

Hi all,

I'm a (fairly) new player and wanted to ask for general gameplay tips and advice on how to improve as a player. I started WoT last September, coming from WoWS where I am a decent enough player.

So far I have most lines from T3 to T5, all with sub par crews (i.e.very few even have sixth sense at this point). My performance is also sub par across the board going by my stats, so clearly there's plenty of room for improvement.

To pre-empt any mention of my owning premium tanks, I should say that I have never played any on a tier that I don't already have a silver tank on, so T6 and above I've never played with yet in a random battle, and don't intend to until I can play better.

I have played my T8 tanks in frontline more recently for credits, and this has driven home how much further I have to develop as a player since I regularly only get Lieutenant rank and in the bottom 10 of my team with between 3.5k and 4k damage plus assistance.

Is it a case if play more and gain more experience and l2p, or are there more basic principles I can apply to each of the different classes. I say this as I've yet to determine what class I prefer or what "playstyle".

Alba

Before you do anything.

1. Check your sight settings are correct. According to WG at least 50% of players never change their sight settings. These are the sniper/arcade sliders in your settings. They need to be low enough so that the aim moves accurately with your mouse.

2. Try and raise your FPS through the graphics settings and your other settings. QB has a good video

3. Always try and play with a sixth sense commander if you can. That warning can save valuable HP.

Then why not have a cuppa and spend a few minutes invested in just watching some videos.

Then just trawl YouTube and you'll get a good mix of contributors. I'm sure you know this from WoWs

Then why not set yourself some goals. Get a tier V in every class? Why not try the Stug IV personal campaign missons. Each one gives you a new female crew member with sixth sense and credits! So you're learning the game and getting better crews at the same time.

GL

Dava_117 #16 Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:11 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 22691 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

You already received a lot of nice suggestion.

I would just say that, if you feel confident, you should jump up to tier 6. Tier 5 is fun, but is still lacking some real distinction between tank class and many of them are oneshot tanks for O-I, KV-2 and IS tanks. I find tier 6 tanks far more effective at fighting tier 8 than tier 5 at fighting tier 7. Its more forgiving and academically better to L2P.

Keep on with the good work as I see your far from bad. :)

1ucky #17 Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 86527 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View PostTheAlba2014, on 28 October 2019 - 01:03 AM, said:

Hi all,

Alba

Hi and welcome to WoT!

I'll pick out one thing that hopefully makes sense, in regards to "the different classes":

I'd say it's best to try to play to the situation/map/team/opponent presently at hand, or in other words to what's indeed going on on the battlefield at a certain moment, instead of giving any thought to any vehicle's class.

The vehicle class system is rather something to be thought of in garage or in the premium shop, because that's where it's relevant, when figuring out which crews need training or which premium tank you'd like to buy because different premium vehicle classes are most useful for differently asigned crews.

Also, there's sometimes some missions to do that are class-dependant, but that's still a thing to take care of in the garage before pressing the "Battle!" button. When you're on the battlefield, it's all about thinking up tactics that make sense in the overall situation you're thrown into, or god forbid having fun. Either way, within a battle the vehicle class system doesn't matter much at all.

Good luck!

:)

Gruff_ #18 Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21972 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Press W & left mouse button :)

mani_GGr #19 Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18245 battles
  • [INVIL] INVIL

View PostTheAlba2014, on 28 October 2019 - 01:03 AM, said:

Hi all,

Alba

Don't invest into this game, honestly. It's worth neither time nor money.

SamuraiShakaViking #20 Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:36 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11204 battles
  • [777PC] 777PC

Make or bring in Friends and platoon whenever you can, and in game chat works out good. it boosts your fun and tactical chanced. U get extra credits and xp too.

U can try recruit friends to both get rewarded, but most recruits tend to quit

also wg segregate the region's, and offer no global server option
It's usually cool to get into a good friendly clan, for many benefits, including platoon mates, training rooms and competitive game mode (skirmish) which can be much less frustrating than randoms.

(also back to wot from wows... since the two years now cv reworks of the rework that's made it worse, not least that cv's are in fact planes, not ships, as they try get wowp into wows, bring the btc/rb in, and the various currencies

Edited by SamuraiShakaViking, 29 October 2019 - 12:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users