• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

DefeatedUranus #1 Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:26 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33451 battles
  • [KITTY] KITTY

Hi all,

I've just done some searching across the forums and not found anything as yet. I've also bunged this in the Dev section of the forums to hopefully get an inside point of view on this. 

Google will be releasing its cloud gaming platform on the 19th of November this year. Just to confirm, this is a platform where you can play games through your Google Chrome browser, these games are hosted in Google data centres around the world to eliminate as much latency as possible.

My question is... Is Wargaming going to be involved in this, and specifically... Will WoT be supported? I personally have been playing on sh*tty laptops for years and would love to play it on a constantly up to date system. This thread is to see what the thoughts of the WoT player base are on this? Because for me, £8.99 a month for up to 4k at 60fps sounds like a dream! I was looking into building a new rig for around £1200. That amount of cash would last me 11 years on this new platform! Plus the 'system' itself will always be up to date, so there's no worry about obsolete equipment. Or your rig going bang!

Regards

Balc0ra #2 Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 73320 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

The only one that really jumped on this full in was Ubisoft "they need the money atm". I suspect WG might do what the others are doing. As in wait to see it out. As the main issue for most is still a data cap on their ISP. As is the issue for most US users, and some in EU still. In 4K most can play for a few hours before the cap is reached. So if that is really an issue atm that most suspect. Then it won't explode as Google hopes it will.

That ofc is not an issue in my Nation that doesn't have it on ISP. But do have it on mobile providers to make "on the go" useless.

Dava_117 #3 Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:58 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 22691 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Isn't this thing requiring some insane internet connection?

DefeatedUranus #4 Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:12 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33451 battles
  • [KITTY] KITTY

View PostDava_117, on 01 November 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

Isn't this thing requiring some insane internet connection?

Google claims if you have a 10MB/s connection, you can run games at 60fps on a 720p res. Whereas, at 35MB/s, you can run 4k at 60fps. 

I've upgraded my line at home to 100MB/s only 3 or 4 days ago. So I know I'm safe lol

Bordhaw #5 Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:34 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 15042 battles

View PostDefeatedUranus, on 01 November 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

Hi all,

I've just done some searching across the forums and not found anything as yet. I've also bunged this in the Dev section of the forums to hopefully get an inside point of view on this. 

Google will be releasing its cloud gaming platform on the 19th of November this year. Just to confirm, this is a platform where you can play games through your Google Chrome browser, these games are hosted in Google data centres around the world to eliminate as much latency as possible.

My question is... Is Wargaming going to be involved in this, and specifically... Will WoT be supported? I personally have been playing on sh*tty laptops for years and would love to play it on a constantly up to date system. This thread is to see what the thoughts of the WoT player base are on this? Because for me, £8.99 a month for up to 4k at 60fps sounds like a dream! I was looking into building a new rig for around £1200. That amount of cash would last me 11 years on this new platform! Plus the 'system' itself will always be up to date, so there's no worry about obsolete equipment. Or your rig going bang!

Regards

Homer_J #6 Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32746 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Isn't there already a very similar system around?  Or has it gone bust?  Problem is you have lag between WG and Google then lag between Google and you.  OK, WoT doesn't need so much twitch reactions but it also doesn't need cutting edge PC kit.  Any FPS would be unbearable.

£1200 quid worth of PC parts would keep me going much more than 12 years and I wouldn't have to put up with another layer of lag.

[edit] Shadow is the one I was thinking of.  Quite a few people turned up here having issues with it.

20:53 Added after 6 minute

View PostDefeatedUranus, on 01 November 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

I've upgraded my line at home to 100MB/s only 3 or 4 days ago. So I know I'm safe lol

100MB/s between you and the box at the end of the street, which you then share with 100 other people.  Good luck if there's a mass takeup of this.

Edited by Homer_J, 01 November 2019 - 09:49 PM.

Corax_se #7 Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:34 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10721 battles
  • [DAD_S] DAD_S

"Google stated that users will need at least a 25 Mbps connection to reliably stream games at 1080p and 60fps, and a 30 Mbps connection for 4K resolution at the same framerate"

You guys need to keep in mind that MB/s (megabyte) is download speed and Mbps(Megabits per second) bandwidth if you can download something with 10MB/s you need 80Mbps line if you can max it.

Yeah so 100Mbps line is gonna be safe for stadia but latency is the important factor.

But the thing with stadia is they never mentioned latency in googles info. Not at least the articles I have read.They cant guarantee anything because it all depends on your ISP and the routes they take to the nearest datacenter with stadia and then to the game server and back to datacenter and then to you or some such. Every step adds to the ping.  Any online game where you play with or against other people you you might be a second(1000ms) behind everyone not playing on stadia. In wot no one will be where you see them you might already be dead before you even shoot if your unlucky cos the first enemy spotted you and 4 other tanks came around the corner and everyone unloaded on you before you even saw the first tank. Does not sound like a fun experience to me. I dont think there will be any or at least hardly any multiplayer games that need fast ping.

Sure 1000ms(1 sec) might be abit extreme but even a ping of 200ms vs someone playing with less than 100ms might get you killed cos you cant aim/see the enemy like they can see or aim at you. To them your just sitting there doing nothing for longer periods.

I tried playing WoT with my 3G mobile connection it was too laggy for my taste and the ping was not even all that high.

View PostHomer_J, on 01 November 2019 - 09:46 PM, said:

I100MB/s between you and the box at the end of the street, which you then share with 100 other people.  Good luck if there's a mass takeup of this.

Depends how the isp/box is set up I get my 250/100 Mbps line no matter how many of my neighbors use theirs does not affect me and I dont affect them. My neighbors/street dont even have to be on the same ISP but still connected to the same box. The traffic sharing thing is usually in third world internet countries like the UK or USA. :)

Edited by Corax_se, 02 November 2019 - 09:38 AM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #8 Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:40 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9159 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostDefeatedUranus, on 01 November 2019 - 05:26 PM, said:

Hi all,

Regards

Excuse me, but what?

I fail to see how an additional route between your PC and the WoT servers is capable of reducing latency.

It is simply impossible to take a longer route and arrive faster.

13:41 Added after 1 minute

View PostCorax_se, on 02 November 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

"Google stated that users will need at least a 25 Mbps connection to reliably stream games at 1080p and 60fps, and a 30 Mbps connection for 4K resolution at the same framerate"

You guys need to keep in mind that MB/s (megabyte) is download speed and Mbps(Megabits per second) bandwidth if you can download something with 10MB/s you need 80Mbps line if you can max it.

Yeah so 100Mbps line is gonna be safe for stadia but latency is the important factor.

But the thing with stadia is they never mentioned latency in googles info. Not at least the articles I have read.They cant guarantee anything because it all depends on your ISP and the routes they take to the nearest datacenter with stadia and then to the game server and back to datacenter and then to you or some such. Every step adds to the ping.  Any online game where you play with or against other people you you might be a second(1000ms) behind everyone not playing on stadia. In wot no one will be where you see them you might already be dead before you even shoot if your unlucky cos the first enemy spotted you and 4 other tanks came around the corner and everyone unloaded on you before you even saw the first tank. Does not sound like a fun experience to me. I dont think there will be any or at least hardly any multiplayer games that need fast ping.

Sure 1000ms(1 sec) might be abit extreme but even a ping of 200ms vs someone playing with less than 100ms might get you killed cos you cant aim/see the enemy like they can see or aim at you. To them your just sitting there doing nothing for longer periods.

I tried playing WoT with my 3G mobile connection it was too laggy for my taste and the ping was not even all that high.

Depends how the isp/box is set up I get my 250/100 Mbps line no matter how many of my neighbors use theirs does not affect me and I dont affect them. My neighbors/street dont even have to be on the same ISP but still connected to the same box. The traffic sharing thing is usually in third world internet countries like the UK or USA. :)

If you had read the source article, google uses megabits per second, not megabytes.

Corax_se #9 Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10721 battles
  • [DAD_S] DAD_S
The megabits megabytes thing was aimed at the ppl in this thread using MB/s for their connections and stadias info. And the link I followed turned into swedish when I loaded the page and looked like the shop page for stadia with hardly any real world information other than min req and so on.

Also tagged with Stadia, Google

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users