Jump to content


Ranked Battles - Season 2 | My personal experience


  • Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

ValkyrionX #1 Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 53290 battles
  • 2,571
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    02-07-2015

Hi to all, as usual and as in my style I find myself on this forum to write my personal vision and experience, in this specific moment about the RBs

I would like to make some brief analyzes and highlight the merits and defects of this seasonal game mode and leave some feedback if possible.

 

 

 

Maps and maps rotation

 

I would like to start talking about the maps and the rotation of the same, currently the maps for this game mode have been limited, keeping out of this rotation many maps available for the random battles going so as to influence in an extreme way the game experience, rendering it clearly boring and extremely repetitive.
At present in this mode even with hours and hours of play you will find yourself always playing the same 4-5 maps all the time and this in my opinion is a mistake as the gaming experience becomes too repetitive, this problem has increased from the fact that many times it happens to play the same map even for 2 or 3 times in a row.
I would have preferred a wider and more varied rotation of maps, at present I personally find it very boring to have so few maps for this mode and with a rotation in my opinion that is fallacious.

I would like to add that absolutely ridiculous maps like "mountain pass" should not only not be present in this mode, but should be immediately removed from the game.

 

 

MM , queue time and LAG

 

 

As already underlined by the WG, problems relating to the time of formation of the teams have been reported, namely queue time, personally happened to me several times to wait even almost 5 minutes to find the formation of a game, this is a fairly serious problem in my notice.
Same thing was recorded of LAG problems, also reported by the WG, which sometimes have negative influences on my games, this is also a serious problem that I would like to report.

 

As for the MM, the problem is much more complex and deserves a few more words.
The formation of the teams in this mode tends to balance the vehicles by class and the players by rank and divisions.
In my opinion this type of balancing choice is, in my opinion, correct, too bad that this choice does not take into consideration the vehicle only chooses the class.
Always referring to my experience so far, many teams have clearly been at a disadvantage on certain maps and locations due to a numerical difference of certain types of vehicles compared to others going to negativeize the match for one team or another .
I also think that the specific vehicle type selected by the player to have a better team balance should also be taken into consideration.
If on a map, for example Westfield, most of a team's heavy are SConq or Chieftains and in the other we find wz5a or is7, unless the team is organized in those 30 seconds I believe the verdict is clear.

 

 

Reward vehicles

 

This is a problem that has been discussed in this forum for a long time and we are all a bit familiar with it.

Personally I own almost all the reward tier X vehicles of the game, excluding vk72 and t95e6, and I am among those who think that such vehicles, including obj260 and obj279e, should be absolutely excluded from this mode.

I have also personally seen a game made up of about +20 chieftains, this says a lot about how much the "meta game" at present is total garbage and about how excessively flexible and strong this vehicle is specifically, with a turret with only one weakspot not always easy to penetrate as that its very small, with excellent mobility and an excellent gun and a reasonable dpm.

Obviously I take the chieftain as an example because it is the most played, but in general all reward vehicles must be blocked or at least limited in competitive modes because, not only are vehicles too strong, but they go to make the game experience horrendous, and moreover, they strongly penalize those players who do not own certain vehicles.

 

 

Ranking system

 

Personally the system of ranking and divisions is nothing but a long and boring grind based on the WR you manage to express, even with the help of the teams that gives you the match maker , which in my opinion does not fully reflect the ability of the player.
In my opinion, the ranking system present about two or three seasons ago was more appropriate, no system of divisions but direct rankings that placed all the players in a single ranking divided by positions in gold, silver and bronze.

The current ranking system, despite the bonus games, is really too long, boring and without a real economic incentive [in terms of credits] to continue playing that mode.
Still based on my experience in just 5 or 6 days of ranked I lost about 10 million credits to reach the first division [rank 10], it would be interesting to intrudece a bonus in credits or a reduction in the cost of repairing vehicles at every game won or a small incentive to earn credits to improve the sustainability of a mode like this.

 

 

Criticism of the players and the style of play

 

Currently, as mentioned in the previous point, I am in the first division rank 10, and to be honest I would like to criticize the players.


Playing every complete map with almost all vehicles to try to win a side of the map often results in losing the control of the map and even losing because the opposing team manages to capture the base with 3 or 4 tanks that of course none can no longer reach or find the team forced into a corner of the map without being able to do anything because you are completely surrounded.

If you have to play to win, please avoid playing like baboons and in those damn 30 seconds before the start of the game, organize with your allies to try to play in a appropriated way and with a team play and with a bit of selfishness in less.

 

 

Final season awards


It would be a polite thing in my opinion if the WG would specify which are the prizes contained in the boxes that are unlocked with the number of coins that a player manages to collect.

 

 

Different formats to the current one

 

In order to improve this mode, a different format compared to 15 vs 15 would be something absolutely positive that probably would also favor a bit of healthy teamwork.

Honestly, the format 15 vs 15 I find it a bit too chaotic for this mode, a format 10 vs 10 I think would be more sustainable and would improve some aspects of this mode.

 

 

Damage blocked


I believe that in the exp distribution system the damage blocked once again is excessively emphasized in the exp earnings

 

 

Arty


Currently in this mode the arty are limited to a maximum of 4 per game.
iI would be interesting to experiment a further limitation for a maximum of two per game since in a mode like this the arty players tend to share the damage by shooting at the same targets.

 

 

 

 

 

 

currently I have no other proposals or criticisms to make, I will update the thread if I had more to add.

I conclude by asking a question to all of you.

 

Is there a season 3 after season 2 or is this the final season?


Edited by ValkyrionX, 02 November 2019 - 12:03 PM.


MightyBalls_2 #2 Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:28 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 6705 battles
  • 74
  • [MITY] MITY
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

Tanked is easy to state in just a few words and does not need a description as long as yours.

 

"Boring, monotonous, Yolo from both teams and hope to win".


Done!

11:38 Added after 9 minute

View PostValkyrionX, on 02 November 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

 

Is there a season 3 after season 2 or is this the final season?

 

Yes there is a season 3 unfortunately :(



TankkiPoju #3 Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 23726 battles
  • 7,335
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostMightyBalls_2, on 02 November 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

 

 

Yes there is a season 3 unfortunately :(

 

Why unfortunately? I don't think anyone is forcing you to play ranked.

 



Long_Range_Sniper #4 Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 37582 battles
  • 10,757
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    04-04-2011

View PostValkyrionX, on 02 November 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

Criticism of the players and the style of play

 

Currently, as mentioned in the previous point, I am in the first division rank 10, and to be honest I would like to criticize the players.


Playing every complete map with almost all vehicles to try to win a side of the map often results in losing the control of the map and even losing because the opposing team manages to capture the base with 3 or 4 tanks that of course none can no longer reach or find the team forced into a corner of the map without being able to do anything because you are completely surrounded.

If you have to play to win, please avoid playing like baboons and in those damn 30 seconds before the start of the game, organize with your allies to try to play in a appropriated way and with a team play and with a bit of selfishness in less.

 

I've had it with ranked. The first day was fine, but then the lag really spoiled it for me. I had three days off, and then when I came back it was a huge mistake. What was a reasonable progression now turned into walking through a quagmire of mud.

 

I like playing lights, and the teams after three days off were a challenge. Clearly no idea where you'll spot, how you'll spot, or how to even hit anything. To win 80% of the map, and then lose because the enemy team have camped like bosses and you lose your HP digging them out. 

 

When you're spending a lot of credits to play and the meta isn't fun (if people like it, then good for you) it's time to call it a day.

 

Edit: Change of plan.........and I hate it.

 

Edit 2: Plan worked, got me over the hurdle and back on track. It was a "if you can't beat'em, join'em" plan. Rant over.


Edited by Long_Range_Sniper, 03 November 2019 - 09:03 AM.


ValkyrionX #5 Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:19 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 53290 battles
  • 2,571
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    02-07-2015

I find myself updating the thread, I managed to finish the 1st division almost completely, today I was one step [2 chevrons] away from rank 15 , it took 10 games in a row with completely useless teams to make me return almost to rank 13

 

This ranking system has no logical sense to exist as it is essentially team-based for a ranking system that should be entirely personal , and in my opinion this is a very serious contradiction


Instead it would be better to have a general ranking as in the campaigns on the global map where it is possible to accumulate points, buy multipliers and also have the possibility to select independently when to use the bonus battles during the grinding / ranking.

 

This mode is obscenely pathetic and clearly designed by those who do not play this game ,  and clearly designed only to give prizes in exchange of our credits and to keep the game economy under control by decreasing our credits.

 

 


Edited by ValkyrionX, 03 November 2019 - 09:58 PM.


the_nebuchadnezzar #6 Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:47 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 54711 battles
  • 1,678
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
  • Member since:
    08-19-2013
Mine is a little bit shorter. Ok... So, either you have the T95/FV or you're going struggle and suffer like a poor african trying to get into UK...

ChristOfTheAbyss #7 Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:53 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 251 battles
  • 457
  • Member since:
    07-22-2019

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 03 November 2019 - 09:47 PM, said:

Mine is a little bit shorter. Ok... So, either you have the T95/FV or you're going struggle and suffer like a poor african trying to get into UK...

 

I found that playing Chieftain will only get you focused by arty and yoloed by autoloaders. Same with 279e. Progetto and BC has worked for me far better. 



ValkyrionX #8 Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:56 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 53290 battles
  • 2,571
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    02-07-2015

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 03 November 2019 - 09:47 PM, said:

Mine is a little bit shorter. Ok... So, either you have the T95/FV or you're going struggle and suffer like a poor african trying to get into UK...

 

I do not agree with your comment, having the chieftain does not automatically mean winning the games.

 

On certain maps having a greater number of chiefs is a net advantage, for example on Westfiled it is striking how much the teams with the greatest number of chieftains have an advantage.

 

In any case I have played with the first two divisions obj279 with succcess , in the 1st division I am playing mainly, and successfully, m60 , bc25t , is7 , obj907 and obj705a .. every time I played the chieftain I lost.

 

In any case, as I mentioned earlier, rewards vehicles must be locked in this mode.


Edited by ValkyrionX, 03 November 2019 - 10:15 PM.


the_nebuchadnezzar #9 Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:09 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 54711 battles
  • 1,678
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
  • Member since:
    08-19-2013

Obj 279e have a huge disadvantage compare to the T95/FV. Every single map have a place where the T95/FV can put his gun depression and his stupid OP turret to good use. They both are arty magnets and get focused by enemies, but the lack of gun depression will force Obj279e to expose more, to take risks and is going to be punish often. Not saying the tank is not OP or anything, but atm T95/FV is the KING!



ValkyrionX #10 Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:13 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 53290 battles
  • 2,571
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    02-07-2015

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 03 November 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

Obj 279e have a huge disadvantage compare to the T95/FV. Every single map have a place where the T95/FV can put his gun depression and his stupid OP turret to good use. They both are arty magnets and get focused by enemies, but the lack of gun depression will force Obj279e to expose more, to take risks and is going to be punish often. Not saying the tank is not OP or anything, but atm T95/FV is the KING!

 

in fact I played obj279 only in the first two divisions as I knew well that in the first division it would have been a useless vehicle.



MightyBalls_2 #11 Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:35 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 6705 battles
  • 74
  • [MITY] MITY
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

View PostTankkiPoju, on 02 November 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

 

Why unfortunately? I don't think anyone is forcing you to play ranked.

 

 

I need to now, I want the tank and I missed the first one because of being on holiday so I can only do it with this one and the next one, on 2 accounts.

Try doing it on 2 accounts and then you will say, unfortunately.



TankkiPoju #12 Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 23726 battles
  • 7,335
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostMightyBalls_2, on 04 November 2019 - 08:35 AM, said:

 

I need to now, I want the tank and I missed the first one because of being on holiday so I can only do it with this one and the next one, on 2 accounts.

Try doing it on 2 accounts and then you will say, unfortunately.

 

That's some serious self inflicted first world problems right there.



LordMuffin #13 Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:38 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 53419 battles
  • 13,409
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    06-21-2011

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 02 November 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

 

I've had it with ranked. The first day was fine, but then the lag really spoiled it for me. I had three days off, and then when I came back it was a huge mistake. What was a reasonable progression now turned into walking through a quagmire of mud.

 

I like playing lights, and the teams after three days off were a challenge. Clearly no idea where you'll spot, how you'll spot, or how to even hit anything. To win 80% of the map, and then lose because the enemy team have camped like bosses and you lose your HP digging them out. 

 

When you're spending a lot of credits to play and the meta isn't fun (if people like it, then good for you) it's time to call it a day.

 

Edit: Change of plan.........and I hate it.

 

Edit 2: Plan worked, got me over the hurdle and back on track. It was a "if you can't beat'em, join'em" plan. Rant over.

Did you start camping to win more games/get more chevrons?

 

Hardly surprising that tactic works very well, due to how maps are designed in WoT.

08:48 Added after 9 minute

View PostValkyrionX, on 02 November 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

Criticism of the players and the style of play

 

Currently, as mentioned in the previous point, I am in the first division rank 10, and to be honest I would like to criticize the players.


Playing every complete map with almost all vehicles to try to win a side of the map often results in losing the control of the map and even losing because the opposing team manages to capture the base with 3 or 4 tanks that of course none can no longer reach or find the team forced into a corner of the map without being able to do anything because you are completely surrounded.

If you have to play to win, please avoid playing like baboons and in those damn 30 seconds before the start of the game, organize with your allies to try to play in a appropriated way and with a team play and with a bit of selfishness in less.

If you want to have more selfless players, you have to incentivese players to play selfless.

The current Ranked is set up in a way that promote selfish play instead (getting chevrons on losses is main culprit).

 

If you had a system where only winning team won chevrons, and all on winning team gained equal amount of Chevrons. You would find yourself in a mode which heavily encouraged team effort to win the game (at all cost).

While on losing team, all lose chevrons, equal amount irrelevant of position.

 

Some will claim that this wouldn't measure skill. But that is because some see skill as being able to do much damage, preserve hp, use team mates as spaced armour/hp sponges to do more damage yourself etc, and that the goal of doing more damage is more important than actually doing the move which will lead to most wins.

 

It is a quite radical change of mindset required, and it would take some time for such a mode to come into fruition.

Over time, such a mode will promote players who win more then they lose, irrelevant of how they accomplished the task.

 



ValkyrionX #14 Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 53290 battles
  • 2,571
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    02-07-2015

View PostLordMuffin, on 04 November 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

Did you start camping to win more games/get more chevrons?

 

Hardly surprising that tactic works very well, due to how maps are designed in WoT.

 

excluding Himmelsdorf, people do camping on all maps

this too often translates into a defeat because maybe you have 2 or 3 allied medium tanks waiting in the rear while maybe the opposing team is making mush of your heavy vehicles.


People do not understand that this is a team-based game, just as the WG does not understand that this is a team-based game and the current ranking system is in sharp contrast with this system [15vs15], given that the ranking should be entirely personal and not based on the WR that the rng decides to give you that day .. as I wrote yesterday I was with rank 15 and I almost returned to 13 because I had 10 games in a row with pathetic teams.


Edited by ValkyrionX, 04 November 2019 - 09:51 AM.


HaZardeur #15 Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 37216 battles
  • 1,652
  • Member since:
    08-14-2010

View PostChristOfTheAbyss, on 03 November 2019 - 09:53 PM, said:

 

I found that playing Chieftain will only get you focused by arty and yoloed by autoloaders. Same with 279e. Progetto and BC has worked for me far better. 

 

The chances of you getting focused with atleast 5 other Chiefs or 279e`s in your team are very slim.



LordMuffin #16 Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:02 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 53419 battles
  • 13,409
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    06-21-2011

View PostValkyrionX, on 04 November 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

 

excluding Himmelsdorf, people do camping on all maps

this too often translates into a defeat because maybe you have 2 or 3 allied medium tanks waiting in the rear while maybe the opposing team is making mush of your heavy vehicles.


People do not understand that this is a team-based game, just as the WG does not understand that this is a team-based game and the current ranking system is in sharp contrast with this system [15vs15], given that the ranking should be entirely personal and not based on the WR that the rng decides to give you that day .. as I wrote yesterday I was with rank 15 and I almost returned to 13 because I had 10 games in a row with pathetic teams.

I agree.

And the only way to make it more team play oriented, is for WG to reward team play oriented moves and reduce individual rewards. 



ValkyrionX #17 Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:06 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 53290 battles
  • 2,571
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    02-07-2015

View PostLordMuffin, on 04 November 2019 - 10:02 AM, said:

I agree.

And the only way to make it more team play oriented, is for WG to reward team play oriented moves and reduce individual rewards. 

 

I do not agree, the game is team based but in this mode you are playing for yourself, the only way to get really right ranked for this game would be to have a general ranking as in the global map campaigns.

 

Everyone earns points regardless of victory or defeat and at the end of the season whoever has the most points will have the best positions in the standings and this would not be to the disadvantage of the strong players or even of the poorer ones.

 

The only existing team play in this game is found in clan activities.



fwhaatpiraat #18 Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:19 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 59357 battles
  • 1,909
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    05-04-2013

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 03 November 2019 - 09:47 PM, said:

Mine is a little bit shorter. Ok... So, either you have the T95/FV or you're going struggle and suffer like a poor african trying to get into UK...

Would it be easier if you are from Vietnam?



LordMuffin #19 Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:29 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 53419 battles
  • 13,409
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    06-21-2011

View PostValkyrionX, on 04 November 2019 - 10:06 AM, said:

 

I do not agree, the game is team based but in this mode you are playing for yourself, the only way to get really right ranked for this game would be to have a general ranking as in the global map campaigns.

 

Everyone earns points regardless of victory or defeat and at the end of the season whoever has the most points will have the best positions in the standings and this would not be to the disadvantage of the strong players or even of the poorer ones.

 

The only existing team play in this game is found in clan activities.

This is a way of further promoting individual play over team play or any selfless plays at all.

 

The reason the only team play in this game is found in clan activities is because  clan activities are the only mode where team play is promoted over individual play. 



eldrak #20 Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:56 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 51383 battles
  • 1,379
  • [GR-W] GR-W
  • Member since:
    01-27-2011

There are about 13 maps in the Ranked pool.

Some of them needs to go and some others could be added. Airfield is such a bad map it should just be removed from the game.

 

Xp is still unfairlly distributed but it's not blocked damage that's overvalued, it's kills.

Xp system is quite bad at valuing teamplay efforts, you get nothing for taking a shot during a push or assisting a kill by keeping enemy occupied.

 

The mode should be renamed, it's not ranked at all as you're playing against players all over the divisions.

Matchmaker could be relaxed a little to make matching quicker, there's no meaningful difference between a player in 2nd division rank 11 and 2nd division rank 12 so that they can't be paired up together against each other.






8 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users


    VonGeijer, BSHDBCG