Need honest feedback for a project!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

xx984 #1 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 65841 battles
  • [HOOT] HOOT

First of all! I want to get it out of the way, I am aware this is not in 100% correct section. But technically speaking it does include some gameplay. And WG staff themselves have said if you want something seen the most put it in gameplay. :hiding:

Anyway. I've been working on a 'WoT Montage' So to speak recently. With various clips, funny, cinematic, normal gameplay. etc. And i'm looking for 100% brutally honest feedback with one small clip i've worked on this afternoon. I've tried to sorta mix it all together. A situation in game i found funny, starting off kinda cinematic-ally and also showing the game play how it was played at the time in there as well. I've probably worded it terribly but it should make a bit more sense after watching if it doesn't already :P 

I've left in the end of the previous clip (Tiger II) As i also want feedback on how it transitions from the previous, And i'f i should maybe do anything with that or just leave it how it is currently (Small black screen).

Always hard to judge something like this myself, And while i have and will ask friends what they think also. With something like this i'd think it best for me if i can see what a lot more people think of this rather than just 2 or 3 in order to improve at this! So please be critical! 

Dava_117 #2 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

Major General

• 23373 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Is there a background music that is part of the project? Because, while I can watch it now, I can't use the speakers at the moment. :hiding:

Edited by Dava_117, 04 November 2019 - 01:12 PM.

xx984 #3 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 65841 battles
  • [HOOT] HOOT

View PostDava_117, on 04 November 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

Is there a background music that is part of the project? Because, while I can watch it now, I can't use the speakers at the moment. :hiding:

Yes there is! :P Heathens Instrumental. Which plays into it quite heavily with the timing to the video

Edited by xx984, 04 November 2019 - 01:14 PM.

Dava_117 #4 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:16 PM

Major General

• 23373 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Ok. Will watch it again in an hour with music. Then will give you my feedback. But looks promising. :)

xx984 #5 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:16 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 65841 battles
  • [HOOT] HOOT

View PostDava_117, on 04 November 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

Ok. Will watch it again in an hour with music. Then will give you my feedback. But looks promising. :)

Thanks! 

ValkyrionX #6 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:26 PM

Major

• 55666 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

i really like the vid itself and the music track 

the only advice I can give you is to maximize the rendering of the video in the production phase as even in 1080p informations are "lost" during uploads on yt and they go to influence the quality of the video, as if there was a lack of smoothing by the antialiasing , maybe if you have a suitable pc you can produce the movie in 2k or 4k and you see which is the result after the upload on yt.

good editing, good interruptions and scene changes.

Edited by ValkyrionX, 04 November 2019 - 01:28 PM.

xx984 #7 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:28 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 65841 battles
  • [HOOT] HOOT

View PostValkyrionX, on 04 November 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

i really like the vid itself and the mucis track 

the only advice I can give you is to maximize the rendering of the video in the production phase as even in 1080p informations are "lost" during uploads on yt , maybe if you have a suitable pc you can produce the movie in 2k or 4k and you see which is the result after the upload on yt.

good editing, good interruptions and scene changes.

I'll look into that, Should be able to do it at 2k

LordMuffin #8 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 53499 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
For the little amount of gameplay it featured, the introduction was far to long.
Such a long intro kind of hints at a longer video on what you want to show.
This I feel the proportion between intro and gameplay have to be done better.

I believe you should try to create a story with your clip. Especially if you are not going to speak in the clips.

In this, I would propose an addition of how you ended in such a hopeless situation.
For example: How everything around falls down, tank dies etc, then you get a glimpse of hope to turn the shrinking ship around by some move play, bad enemy play etc. Just to finally get overrun by hordes of enemy tanks.
Or some other story, but I think you should have a story in mind when you create the clip.

ValkyrionX #9 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:31 PM

Major

• 55666 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View Postxx984, on 04 November 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

I'll look into that, Should be able to do it at 2k

for rendering you need a multicore/multithreading cpu of all respect , otherwise the rendering times of the video become eternal.

obviously recording the video game itself by scaling it in 2k or 4k would help you a lot.

What program are you using to capture the game phases?

you also need to understand that you need a video format that preserves the quality of the video and that is obviously compatible with the formats you can upload to yt

iztok #10 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:36 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

Hi!

I've watched the clip but I didn't understand what would you like to tell us with it. Some accompanying text would come helpful.

Those short clips of empty city at the start should tell us what? If "it's empty", then they should be shorter without zooming.

Watching the final battling from two perspectives and in sequence also didn't add much to the immersion.

Brutally honest as you asked for. ;-)

BR, Iztok

TankkiPoju #11 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24444 battles

I like it, looks pretty sweet.

Have you thought about making videos where the overhead markers are completely removed, like tank icons and damage markers? That might improve immersion more, especially with music.

Edited by TankkiPoju, 04 November 2019 - 01:37 PM.

fwhaatpiraat #12 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:38 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 61076 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostLordMuffin, on 04 November 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

For the little amount of gameplay it featured, the introduction was far to long.

I believe you should try to create a story with your clip. Especially if you are not going to speak in the clips.

In this, I would propose an addition of how you ended in such a hopeless situation.
For example: How everything around falls down, tank dies etc, then you get a glimpse of hope to turn the shrinking ship around by some move play, bad enemy play etc. Just to finally get overrun by hordes of enemy tanks.
Or some other story, but I think you should have a story in mind when you create the clip.

I wanted to type something like this. 

But dont get me wrong, the visuals itself are really nice. The OCD in me can't deal with the 2 gun marks, 1 or 3 would be more aesthetical imo, just like the camo. In such clip I rather see some more subtle camo paint.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #13 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:38 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

Where is the story? Usually you get as much attention as your story is detailed/layered/colored.

The previous video (the tiger and the FV) was funny and condensed. You captured a short instance of game play that a lot of us can relate to and imagine what's going on.

xx984 #14 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:40 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 65841 battles
  • [HOOT] HOOT

View PostLordMuffin, on 04 November 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

I do have a lot of unused clips of that game i recorded but never used. 

That thought did cross my mind while making this, But this replay didn't have much going on apart from the bits i already showed, So i found myself extending the intro to fit with the music instead. How do you think it would be if i used multiple replays from the same map instead of just one? 

View PostValkyrionX, on 04 November 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

for rendering you need a multicore/multithreading cpu of all respect , otherwise the rendering times of the video become eternal.

obviously recording the video game itself by scaling it in 2k or 4k would help you a lot.

What program are you using to capture the game phases?

you also need to understand that you need a video format that preserves the quality of the video and that is obviously compatible with the formats you can upload to yt

I use streamlabs OBS to record. Same program i use to stream. And its just clicked in my mind i hadn't changed it to record in 2k :facepalm: All this stuff is still somewhat new to me, When it comes to rendering etc. So not the smartest with it 

ValkyrionX #15 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

Major

• 55666 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View Postxx984, on 04 November 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

I do have a lot of unused clips of that game i recorded but never used. 

That thought did cross my mind while making this, But this replay didn't have much going on apart from the bits i already showed, So i found myself extending the intro to fit with the music instead. How do you think it would be if i used multiple replays from the same map instead of just one? 

I use streamlabs OBS to record. Same program i use to stream. And its just clicked in my mind i hadn't changed it to record in 2k :facepalm: All this stuff is still somewhat new to me, When it comes to rendering etc. So not the smartest with it 

can you give me your twitch channel link?

I give you my :harp:

https://www.twitch.tv/valkyrionx_tv/

jabster #16 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12790 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
I have to agree with some other posters, sorry. I just don’t see the purpose of it so what does a viewer take away from it?

xx984 #17 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 65841 battles
  • [HOOT] HOOT

View PostLordMuffin, on 04 November 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 04 November 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Where is the story? Usually you get as much attention as your story is detailed/layered/colored.

The previous video (the tiger and the FV) was funny and condensed. You captured a short instance of game play that a lot of us can relate to and imagine what's going on.

Thanks guys!

My one paranoia about making a 'story' out of it, Is it becoming too long and dragging on, Do you guys think that is much of an issue? 

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 04 November 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

I wanted to type something like this. 

But dont get me wrong, the visuals itself are really nice. The OCD in me can't deal with the 2 gun marks, 1 or 3 would be more aesthetical imo, just like the camo. In such clip I rather see some more subtle camo paint.

I've tried to 3 mark this tank before but couldn't D: With the camo i 100% agree for something like this, Although i can't change the camo specifically for the replay which is frustrating. 

View PostTankkiPoju, on 04 November 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

I like it, looks pretty sweet.

Have you thought about making videos where the overhead markers are completely removed, like tank icons and damage markers? That might improve immersion more, especially with music.

I thought about keeping them removed throughout all the video, but wanted to try to mix it with proper gameplay, How it was played at the time!

View Postiztok, on 04 November 2019 - 12:36 PM, said:

Hi!

I've watched the clip but I didn't understand what would you like to tell us with it. Some accompanying text would come helpful.

Those short clips of empty city at the start should tell us what? If "it's empty", then they should be shorter without zooming.

Watching the final battling from two perspectives and in sequence also didn't add much to the immersion.

Brutally honest as you asked for. ;-)

BR, Iztok

thanks!

12:48 Added after 0 minute

View PostValkyrionX, on 04 November 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

can you give me your twitch channel link?

I give you my :harp:

https://www.twitch.tv/valkyrionx_tv/

Its in my sig ;) 

Joggaman #18 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:58 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25370 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I'm a simple man. I enjoyed the little clip. I like when things go boom synchronized to music :great:

xx984 #19 Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 65841 battles
  • [HOOT] HOOT

View PostJoggaman, on 04 November 2019 - 12:58 PM, said:

I like when things go boom synchronized to music :great:

Who doesn't? :B

eldrak #20 Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52400 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W
I think you could change the timing of the end of the Tiger clip slightly to get a better end on the music/sound there. I'm talking milliseconds here :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users