French Panther: Pz.Kpfw. V Bretagne

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:00 AM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
A good tank is nice, a good tank with a story is better.

The full text of the news item

Unicorn_of_Steel #2 Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:41 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15097 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

View PostCommunity, on 05 November 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

A good tank is nice, a good tank with a story is better.
The full text of the news item

You know what would be even better? A proper German premium Panther. You know, the ones that actually fought on all fronts in  the war? And not a warcrime parody or a powercreeped tier 8. Just a decent tier 6...

Negativvv #3 Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:43 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 13615 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE
There any truth to the rumour either this or the Pudel being multi nation soon?

Range_Ace #4 Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:39 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12960 battles
  • [FUS2D] FUS2D

View PostUnicorn_of_Steel, on 05 November 2019 - 07:41 AM, said:

You know what would be even better? A proper German premium Panther. You know, the ones that actually fought on all fronts in  the war? And not a warcrime parody or a powercreeped tier 8. Just a decent tier 6...

You actually have the panther/m10 which is historicaly accurate and see's maximum tier 8 like the Bretagne Panther. :) 

Negativvv #5 Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:52 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 13615 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostRange_Ace, on 05 November 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

You actually have the panther/m10 which is historicaly accurate and see's maximum tier 8 like the Bretagne Panther. :) 

The Warcrime Panther doesn't look the part however... 

I've bought the tech tree T6 German Panther and put a Twitch Prime Commander in it. I'd imagine a bit of grinding this month will pump the rest of the crew to BiA and an extra skill.

env1ro #6 Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 35579 battles
  • [VS_MM] VS_MM
:B http://wotgarage.net/france/6/60737/bret_-panther

Inappropriate_noob #7 Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 17374 battles
  • [-UM] -UM
So is it any good compared to the T7 M10, or the T 68 which everyone thinks is garbage?

Angel_Dust_ #8 Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8320 battles
According to stats, it's just slightly worse tech tree VK30.02 (M)... so, one who is having fun with VK, should be happy with this one too.

Simona2k #9 Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2595 battles
  • [GGLT] GGLT
i dont have it

Nordstroem #10 Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:10 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3474 battles
  • [SV3] SV3

Thanks, WG. I missed buying it previously!

View PostNegativvv, on 05 November 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

I don't see why those tanks would be made multinational.

The Rudy was made multi national because Poland didn't have a tech tree when it was introduced.

Germany already has tech tree panthers, plus two or three special premium tank Panthers in the Panther/M10, Panther mit 8,8 cm L/71 and Pz.Kpfw. V/VI.

Both Bretagne and Pudel were Panther tanks that were captured by their respective country.

Next up to be made multinational should be FCM 36 Pak 40 and 105 leFH18B2 which were put in the French tree because they needed premium tanks for the French when they were introduced, but in actuality they are tanks which were captured and modified by the Germans, so they rightfully belong in the German tech tree together with Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f), Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (f) and Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f). Later when either a Hungarian or joint European tree is introduced the 43 M. Toldi III and Turán III Prototípus should be made multi national as well.

There aren't many other tanks that were placed in the wrong nation, but these ought to be the main contenders to be made multinational.

Edit: I forgot about Pz.Kpfw. T 15 and Pz.Kpfw. T 25, which should both be made Czechoslovakian, but then again, the T 25 already exist in the Czechoslovakian tech tree as Škoda T 25. But I would still welcome it! There's also Ram II, which is currently American, but since it's Canadian it would be more fitting as British, though with a red-white-red emblem instead of the British white-red-white.

View PostNegativvv, on 05 November 2019 - 08:52 AM, said:

The Warcrime Panther doesn't look the part however... 

I've bought the tech tree T6 German Panther and put a Twitch Prime Commander in it. I'd imagine a bit of grinding this month will pump the rest of the crew to BiA and an extra skill.

You mean that it doesn't actually look like an M10? Yeah, that was the problem the Germans had too. They could only make the Panthers vaguely resemble M10s at a distance.

Edited by Nordstroem, 06 November 2019 - 09:59 AM.

Negativvv #11 Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 13615 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostNordstroem, on 05 November 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

The Rudy was made multi national because Poland didn't have a tech tree when it was introduced.

Germany already has tech tree panthers, plus two or three special premium tank Panthers in the Panther/M10, Panther mit 8,8 cm L/71 and Pz.Kpfw. V/VI.

Both Bretagne and Pudel were Panther tanks that were captured by their respective country.

Next up to be made multinational should be FCM 36 Pak 40 and 105 leFH18B2 which were put in the French tree because they needed premium tanks for the French when they were introduced, but in actuality they are tanks which were captured and modified by the Germans, so they rightfully belong in the German tech tree together with Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f), Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (f) and Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f). Later when either a Hungarian or join European tree is introduced the 43 M. Toldi III and Turán III Prototípus should be made multi national as well.

There aren't many other tanks that were placed in the wrong nation, but these ought to be the main contenders to be made multinational.

You mean that it doesn't actually look like an M10? Yeah, that was the problem the Germans had too. They could only make the Panthers vaguely resemble M10s at a distance.

People just want an authentic German Panther Prem experience even if it would just be a clone of the tech tree one and the other existing ones. As for whatever reason WG has chosen to either give historical Panthers to other nations or have them as the infiltrator M10.

As before I'm bored of asking so I just bought the tech tree one again and put a BiA reward commander in it. My method costs zero money too.

Falathi #12 Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:26 PM

Field Marshal

• WG Staff
  • 19932 battles
  • [WG] WG

View PostNegativvv, on 05 November 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

So far, it`s just a rumor. However, it could happen in the future. 

View PostRange_Ace, on 05 November 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

True. 

View PostAngel_Dust_, on 05 November 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

According to stats, it's just slightly worse tech tree VK30.02 (M)... so, one who is having fun with VK, should be happy with this one too.

Frankly, Pudel, Bretagne Panther and Protopanther have vary similar stats and similar gameplay style. If you like one of them, you`ll like the other. 

View PostNordstroem, on 05 November 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

Next up to be made multinational should be FCM 36 Pak 40 and 105 leFH18B2 which were put in the French tree because they needed premium tanks for the French when they were introduced, but in actuality they are tanks which were captured and modified by the Germans, so they rightfully belong in the German tech tree together with Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f), Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (f) and Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f). Later when either a Hungarian or join European tree is introduced the 43 M. Toldi III and Turán III Prototípus should be made multi national as well.

As for the multinational vehicles: Rudy is the first one, but I`d expect more such vehicles to appear in the future. 

BTW As for the Panther/M10 these were created for the 150th Panzerbrigade that was used in the Ardennes Offensive. This unit used captured equipment, but since this was in short amount ( IIRC they had two Shermans operational in total ) some Panther tanks were camouflaged to resemble US vehicles. Sure at closer look you can`t be deceived, but they hoped they could surprise American soldiers long enough. 
Spoiler alert: it didn`t work too well. 

StinkyCamper #13 Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25883 battles
  • [SCBL] SCBL
*Edited

Edited by VyNKaSMyN, 05 November 2019 - 04:06 PM.
This message has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate comments.

IRSanchez #14 Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 58602 battles
  • [F4W] F4W

View PostNoobySkooby, on 05 November 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

So is it any good compared to the T7 M10, or the T 68 which everyone thinks is garbage?

T7 M10/Panther has thicker armor + spaced armor, but gets T7 limited MM (for better or worse). I'd say it's better than French Panther.

View PostAngel_Dust_, on 05 November 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

Yes, it has 5 mm less frontal upper plate than techtree/prototype.

Anyways Pudel is better then both of them, as not only it gets the better frontal plate lite Bretagne, but also +10 mm side armor on the upper hull (above tracks). That's a really good thing when sidescraping vs overmatching shells.

VarzA #15 Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:01 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26933 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostNoobySkooby, on 05 November 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

Like the Pudel, it's mostly a clone of the VK 30.02 M., with just a tad less armor than the Pudel (-5mm on upper hull and -10mm on sides .... 40mm like the VK).

The only one that matters is the side armor at 40mm, but to tell you the truth ... even 50mm of side armor at t6 for a med is not that ... reliable.

https://tanks.gg/com...el~bret-panther

VK 30.02 M and it's clones are not bad tanks, they have good HP, a fantastic turret and a good gun with good dpm.

The turret is the one that matters the most imho, if you rely on hull you do so in extreme circumstances and the probability of getting a bounce off the sides is not that high.

The only real situation you meet where the 50mm of sidearmor is good is when you sidescrape against a IS/IS-2/IS-3 type of tank with a 122mm gun ... at which point if you mess up the 75% angle even a tiny bit, you are still getting penned .... or he loads HE/HEAT (in the chinese one).

14:10 Added after 8 minute

View PostFalathi, on 05 November 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

So far, it`s just a rumor. However, it could happen in the future. 

True. 

Frankly, Pudel, Bretagne Panther and Protopanther have vary similar stats and similar gameplay style. If you like one of them, you`ll like the other. 

As for the multinational vehicles: Rudy is the first one, but I`d expect more such vehicles to appear in the future. 

BTW As for the Panther/M10 these were created for the 150th Panzerbrigade that was used in the Ardennes Offensive. This unit used captured equipment, but since this was in short amount ( IIRC they had two Shermans operational in total ) some Panther tanks were camouflaged to resemble US vehicles. Sure at closer look you can`t be deceived, but they hoped they could surprise American soldiers long enough. 
Spoiler alert: it didn`t work too well. 

Nope, the americans laughed their a***** off at that one. :)

I always found it funny both in this game and others when ppl call that tank the 'warcrime panther'.

I mean, we are talking of a global conflict that killed tens of millions of ppl, genocide across the entire Europe (and even the 'good guys' have huge skeletons in their closet) .... and you call painting 5 tanks as a 'warcrime' ?

Technically it was, but save it for the more serious stuff, do not devalue the power and strength of the term.

I'm mentioning the above because i see some ppl used the correct name of the tank, and it's awesome.

Edited by VarzA, 05 November 2019 - 03:13 PM.

Negativvv #16 Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:35 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 13615 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostVarzA, on 05 November 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

Like the Pudel, it's mostly a clone of the VK 30.02 M., with just a tad less armor than the Pudel (-5mm on upper hull and -10mm on sides .... 40mm like the VK).

The only one that matters is the side armor at 40mm, but to tell you the truth ... even 50mm of side armor at t6 for a med is not that ... reliable.

https://tanks.gg/com...el~bret-panther

VK 30.02 M and it's clones are not bad tanks, they have good HP, a fantastic turret and a good gun with good dpm.

The turret is the one that matters the most imho, if you rely on hull you do so in extreme circumstances and the probability of getting a bounce off the sides is not that high.

The only real situation you meet where the 50mm of sidearmor is good is when you sidescrape against a IS/IS-2/IS-3 type of tank with a 122mm gun ... at which point if you mess up the 75% angle even a tiny bit, you are still getting penned .... or he loads HE/HEAT (in the chinese one).

14:10 Added after 8 minute

Nope, the americans laughed their a***** off at that one. :)

I always found it funny both in this game and others when ppl call that tank the 'warcrime panther'.

I mean, we are talking of a global conflict that killed tens of millions of ppl, genocide across the entire Europe (and even the 'good guys' have huge skeletons in their closet) .... and you call painting 5 tanks as a 'warcrime' ?

Technically it was, but save it for the more serious stuff, do not devalue the power and strength of the term.

I'm mentioning the above because i see some ppl used the correct name of the tank, and it's awesome.

I jest over it's name as I don't even think the Germans deployed it as a pretend M10, I think they gave up and just used them as normal Panthers in the end.

Panzerbane #17 Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 48913 battles
  • [-SWG-] -SWG-

Why can't the Brits have a Panther in the game?

Two were captured intact and pressed into service against the Germans.

As was customary they were given troop names, one was christened "Cuckoo", the other was "Deserter".

A photo of "Cuckoo" is attached...

xXK4L1NXx #18 Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 33706 battles
In between the Polish Doggo and the Panther Baguette, why not add in the original as a tier 6 Prem as well?

VarzA #19 Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26933 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostNegativvv, on 05 November 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

I jest over it's name as I don't even think the Germans deployed it as a pretend M10, I think they gave up and just used them as normal Panthers in the end.

It wasn't meant as an ad-hominem attack, sorry if i came off like that.

Think of it as venting with a point. :)

Edited by VarzA, 05 November 2019 - 04:43 PM.

PhantomMajor #20 Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:53 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 16084 battles
wow WG really like beating a dead horse or should that be a dead panther on this one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users