• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Erwin_Von_Braun #21 Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:37 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42908 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjabster, on 05 November 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

It was stock and I looked at the lineup and thought press that R key and sit back and see what happens. Trundling across the battlefield I was waiting to be shot but nope. I did have to press the A key a couple of times to get myself back on track. Got to the cap and still waiting and still nope.

Who says capping is a bad idea.

Works like that sometimes doesn't it?

Got a few Invader badges in Bert - doing pretty much the same thing.

TungstenHitman #22 Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30643 battles

Apart from the Churchill and Pz T25, that is a VERY nice team distribution, I'd be really happy with that team, and at higher tiers let alone a tier 5/6 battle. 

Get some binos on that Firefly btw. If you're not running food or your crew is low skills, use Vstab, optics and binos. A rammer is really important but I feel the Firefly, since it's such a slow and soft med, really needs to be played at long range where it can keep itself out of trouble and just land shots and punish targets at range with it's really nice gun and high standard pen so for that you don't really need to worry about a reload of 4 seconds vs 4.5 seconds. You could go with Vstab, rammer and binos but I would feel that would leave you a bit too vulnerable at mid ranges as you make your way around certain maps where you might be the only player left, carry battles etc.

In your featured battle scenario screenshot, its a tank marking dream if you're playing either of the light tanks. One of them just needs to cut up under the hill and expose all those campers on top that are definitely going to be there. Thing about that enemy location is that while it's a dangerous approach for a tank with bad view range, if you DO have decent view range or a teammate that's sitting in a bush saturating the area with his good view range, once the enemy tanks start taking shots from there, they are instantly spotted, there is nowhere to go, no cover for them and it's an absolute blood bath. Once they're dead, go up through those left side bushes, spot and kill what's left, down into the river bed beyond the cap and chop down arty and whatever rout is left. 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 05 November 2019 - 03:57 PM.

Lycopersicon #23 Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:07 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10876 battles
Thank you to everyone for your input (including duck stories). Straightforward downhill rush from there has worked for me more often than not, but failed miserably this time, so I was looking for other ideas. The underbridge guys and generally everyone else was still where they are at that screenshot when I went back to garage some 30 seconds later with glorious 150 damage and 250 spotting. And the setup is optics-rammer-vstab.

Bordhaw #24 Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:51 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 15042 battles

View PostLycopersicon, on 05 November 2019 - 05:46 AM, said:

... or rather, we got it for free. Now what? I.e. what would you do at this moment?

Spoiler

As only one enemy tank has been destroyed I would be thinking all the enemy are already in your base...but hey at least your whole team managed to drive across the battlefield unopposed and nobody thought to wonder why.....

tajj7 #25 Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28260 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

As others have said it's through the middle, under the bridge then under the guns to spot the campers.

Though it is pretty easy to defend the base for the north team which is why you quite often see them do that, you don't even need any campers in front of the base really, just defend from the ridges at the back of the city. 

TungstenHitman #26 Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:30 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 30643 battles

View PostLycopersicon, on 05 November 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

Thank you to everyone for your input (including duck stories). Straightforward downhill rush from there has worked for me more often than not, but failed miserably this time, so I was looking for other ideas. The underbridge guys and generally everyone else was still where they are at that screenshot when I went back to garage some 30 seconds later with glorious 150 damage and 250 spotting. And the setup is optics-rammer-vstab.

You shouldn't have pushed down the hill with a Firefly, even as top tier, you simply haven't the view range or speed. That would only work assuming your teams ELCbis had binos and was saturating that enemy ridge with his 450+ full view range so that when those enemy tanks shoot at you, he spots them and you don't have to. There's an strv 74 next to you also, this is another slow papery med but also with an excellent gun so he doesn't push either, it's pretty much up to the lights to get the finger out of their backsides at that point. Everyone is in place, lots of team cover looking at that ridge, one of em just needs a boot up the backside to go approach that ridge and with the amount of support, tbh they can approach it any way they like and it should work lol.

Your job? snipe, yup, just snipe. The Firefly is really good at it, more like a TD really, the STRV 74 next to you has one of the finest handling guns of any tier I ever played, it's a really lethal sniper too and that should have been a shooting gallery for you two so don't push next time, just feast, be the damage dealer.

What you could have done too, is taken a few blind shots as mentioned by others. The camping spots on that enemy ridge are pretty limited and easy to predict but more than that, blind shooting from where you are positioned on that ridge will do one of two things. 1. probably hit some enemy tanks and flush them out, all good, and 2. more importantly(for future battle application on this map) it will also expose the presence of any enemy tanks passively spotting from inside the bushes immediately in front of you and around/in the river which there often can be, via your 6th sense activation. Only difference is that when your 6th sense goes off you are far away from the enemy ridge and on a ridge yourself so you can easily drop back down behind cover whereas if you push forwards down the hill, get spotted by that river area passive scout, you get killed real fast by his buddies on the ridge behind him. You can then let your team know there's a camper in the bushes around the river and try flush him out too before pressing the enemy ridge.

You run optics rammer and vstab. Well, ya I mean that can work I guess, with the right playstyle to accommodate but like I said, since that setup leaves the Firefly really low on view range... of about 407 which is really sad especially when facing usually T7 and T8 tanks, I would feel it is just more important and easier to play, on average, on most maps, with vstab optics and binos. Give it a try and play it like a TD, it's really nice to be able to stop and flood an area with view range along with working the double bush mechanics to put in a really strong defense when you get one of "those teams" and left alone to defend a base that's pretty easy to defend so long as you can spot the enemy tanks soon enough... like this.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4389422#live_oaks-tungstenhitman-sherman_firefly

Edited by TungstenHitman, 06 November 2019 - 10:30 AM.

Alukat123 #27 Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16970 battles

prepare yourself for a very fast base push, if many tanks get out of town (they'll never make it back in time to reset the cap).

Use the tree and bush to cover your approach and deny the enemy spots on you.

Edited by Alukat123, 06 November 2019 - 11:24 AM.

HassenderZerhacker #28 Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31398 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostLycopersicon, on 05 November 2019 - 06:46 AM, said:

... or rather, we got it for free. Now what? I.e. what would you do at this moment?

Spoiler

hmm...

I would type in "report Churchill VII"

Also tagged with highway, plan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users