Autoaim, how to.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

punkadelic #1 Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:58 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17264 battles

SImple really, I rejoined the game again, after some time away, and driving my Cromwell around trying to get my bstd cursor onto the enemy tanks and r click while doing so, I soon remembered one of my biggest frustrations with the game,

Basically I can't get auto aim to work...I mean is it just me or is it virtually impossible to get the cursor onto the target and r click at the same time, how hard can it be?

Too hard for me it seems,

I am spending far too much time trying to lock onto the target instead of seeing everything else that is going on, where I am going, approaching enemies etc etc

and dying horribly very quickly, contributing naff all and becoming somewhat frustrated into the bargain.

Sure I can make it work if I hide in a bush and look through sniper view, easy no problem, but start ripping about in a light or fast medium and ffs now I NEED it I can't get the damned thing to work, ohh I died again. Rage quit, uninstall game, frustrated,

So, how do you guys get it to work? or do you?

Balc0ra #2 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:32 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 73320 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

It works just fine tbh. Tho it's still a situational tool. So if you can aim manually, do that vs trying to click on it and wasting damage opportunities as you can't lock on. I personally only use it when I flank circle a target, vs when I am going over a ridgeline with time to aim. As then when you go towards it aiming at it, it's only a right-click away.

Tho that said, maybe wheeled lights might be more up your alley. As in they have aim assist. As in you don't have to click on the target to lock on to it. And the further away you are, the more away from the target you can click.

Homer_J #3 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:53 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32746 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

How far away is the tank you are trying to autoaim at?  If it's no more than a speck in the distance then you may as well just fire in the general direction for all the good autoaim will do.

If it's close enough to be worth bothering then it should be no problem.

Maybe post up a replay and say when in the game you were trying to autoaim?

spamhamstar #4 Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:46 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD

If you're really struggling aquiring autoaim, there is a mod that can help.  It used to be called autoaim+, not sure if it still is as I haven't played for about a year. 

It was banned & then allowed again in a slightly different incarnation.  Basically it gives you several seconds after you right click to get the mouse over the target which makes it far easier.  In the original version it would just lock onto whichever enemy tank was closest  when you right clicked.

It was available as part of Aslains mod pack, although I'm sure it'll also be in any other mod pack.  Just make sure you download it through the official WG mod hub to avoid any issues.

If you don't wish to go down the mod route, then the easiest way is to lock onto your target as you start to engage them, hopefully before they notice you, meaning you can drive at them in a straight line until you aquire lock.  As you say, it's not always easy when you're also trying to drive & pay attention.

gunslingerXXX #5 Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:42 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12927 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
I struggle with it as well. And when I manage to lock on, notification is too slow and I click again only to release it by accident. #feelsbadman

punkadelic #6 Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:04 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17264 battles

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 09 November 2019 - 06:42 AM, said:

I And when I manage to lock on, notification is too slow and I click again only to release it by accident. #feelsbadman

I am quite sure that I am doing this also..

I only really try to use it when up fairly close, probably easier to forget about it and just aim as normal, but I find that very hit and miss in a light/medium while bouncing around the terrain with the enemy guy doing the same, so, I would really like to get the hang of it so I can concentrate a little more on where I am going, and where HE is going etc.

I'll have a look at the mod, I need all the help I can get with this, I aint getting any younger so it might just be me being ham fisted or summatt.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I really appreciate you taking the time. very kind.

PowJay #7 Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40077 battles

I know that when I started to use auto-aim (more than I should, really) I was right-clicking with the wrong part of the reticule on the target. There is the targeting indicator and the one which indicates where the gun is currently pointing.

You must click when the tip of the inverted V - ^ is on target, not the other marker.

This, at least, is the mistake I used to make. Good luck.

Stevies_Team #8 Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13575 battles

HOW TO GET AUTO AIM TO WORK

(very handy for toasting EBRs etc)

1 Enable your auto aim button in settings, say Q

2 Leave the switch-autoaim-off key empty in settings

When playing click Q to get a lock, might need a few goes

To disable the lock ....click Q again!

SIMPLES!

UserZer00 #9 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

I have the same problem with it at distance, and it can be a pain sometimes up close if the reticule moves around because of objects, but usually not. 

As someone said already, if you're at a distance you're better off taking the shot without autoaim, with RNG, the random movement of the enemy and other factors you can end up landing a shot fairly frequently (I'm talking about 10-25% chance depending on terrain, etc).

Basically I use it to line up my shot if I'm moving towards or around the enemy and, if possible, I turn it off before the shot to adjust the aim to a weak spot on the tank.  This is really necessary at higher tiers as a lot of the tanks are designed to have armor at the points where the autoaim tries to hit.

Edited by UserZer00, 09 November 2019 - 04:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users