Who is running WG's marketing department?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Long_Range_Sniper #1 Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37592 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Over the past few weeks I've stared at the premium shop and felt as inspired to part with my money as the last time someone sent me an email promising me their cousin in Nigeria would triple my investment.

It started off with the Raumpanzer.

Capture1.jpg

I've seen a couple in game. I'll be honest, I cannot see anything remotely appealing about this tank other than the gimmick. But someone in WG's marketing team clearly thought it was worth development time.

Capture2.jpg

40 Euros for camo and 40 x5 missions. Camo is now almost given away free, and I can't remember the last time I saw a "naked" tank in a higher tier game. Maybe I'm not paying attention, but that's a lot of cash for something that's moveable between vehicles for free.

Finally, it was this appearing.

Capture.jpg

15 Euros to skin a sub-meta tank? If this floats your boat and you want to spend your money then great. But I'm not feeling it myself.

In my opinion these are significant prices for cosmetic items. I understand WG changed approach to tap into the Fortnite tactic of selling things that don't improve capability but just alter the look of the game for players. 

I know WG split the camo into small bundles which is good, but please, as the Xmas bundles approaches put some thought into them.

Don't just dangle the carrot of a "rare" OP tank. If I'm going to spend anything on the game I do it with the Xmas bundles as I get my years premium time, and gold and goodies (any tanks are a bonus for me).

This year, I hope they're not going to be filled with camo and skins.

xx984 #2 Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 64413 battles
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL

£24 for a tier 8 med isn't bad.

Much better than the days where it would've cost £40ish because they forced a bundle in with it. 

The big camo bundle, Isn't worth it, Mainly because nearly everyone will have some of those camo's already. However the smaller bundles are priced fairly. around £5 give/take is perfectly fine for some 'special' camos that are not freely available. 

I agree the E50M style is priced a bit high, as well as the panther II and E 50. but doesn't really harm anyone at the end of the day. People buying it only know they get a skin, and it doesn't make it any harder for those playing against it. Would much rather WG put more effort into making more skins, Some cheaper, some more expensive. Than release new prem tanks every other week. 

fwhaatpiraat #3 Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 59391 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
I'm really happy with this. People apparently want to spend money on something that doesn't make them stronger on the battlefield, but rather have something that is rare or looks nice. Great :) I also considered to get a 'bring the heat' style, since it looks so good.

Bulldog_Drummond #4 Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33357 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO

It's okay with me if WG want to try and generate revenue with skins and other stuff that has no impact on gameplay.

Similarly if they can sell premium tanks that are nothing special.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #5 Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34294 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
I have absolutely no problem with WG funding their game with cosmetics no matter how much they choose to charge for them as its entirely up to the individual if that interests them or not and doesn't affect anyone else in any way. 

Long_Range_Sniper #6 Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37592 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 09 November 2019 - 11:57 AM, said:

I'm really happy with this. People apparently want to spend money on something that doesn't make them stronger on the battlefield, but rather have something that is rare or looks nice. Great :) I also considered to get a 'bring the heat' style, since it looks so good.

I agree with the principle, which was why I said it was nice to see them at least put the camo in small bundles. You could also argue the Raumpanzer fits into this with the "cosmetic" dozer blade.

I think when I heard WG were going to be doing this, I was anticipating more at the microtransaction level.

I think I was kind of expecting things like skins to turn your tank into another version like the "Bronco" Comet, or skins for nations that aren't in the game but still used those tanks (let's not get hung up over crews). With prices for these less than five euros. 

It was when I saw 15 Euros for an E 50M skin I wondered where this was going. I totally agree though, if WG can keep the game profitable without selling autloading Defenders, then that's really good. I just hope they invest the development time into more maps, tech tree lines, and game modes in addition to the cosmetic stuff.

Edited by Long_Range_Sniper, 09 November 2019 - 01:39 PM.

Stevies_Team #7 Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13690 battles

The RPz is actually ok

Its a Canaervon AX that actually bounces shots instead of being a bit of mobile cheese

It's everything you wish a cax was

Edited by Stevies_Team, 09 November 2019 - 02:02 PM.

GodTank2 #8 Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8026 battles
  • [RF_] RF_

View PostStevies_Team, on 09 November 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

The RPz is actually ok

Its a Canaervon AX that actually bounces shots instead of being a bit of mobile cheese

Only that it lacks the DPM of the CAX

Long_Range_Sniper #9 Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37592 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostStevies_Team, on 09 November 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

The RPz is actually ok

Image result for confused gif

RamRaid90 #10 Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25976 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

View PostGodTank2, on 09 November 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

Only that it lacks the DPM of the CAX

And the armour, and pretty much everything else.

Anyway, at the OP.

I have been saying for a while that I wish they would sell camos for cash. Bought a couple myself. IMO an excellent choice by WG.

As for that bulldozing monstrosity, i'm sure it suits some. It's not to my taste but hey-ho.

And again, selling cosmetics for cash is something WG should have thought of a LONG time ago. Just like every other F2P game does. For some, the E5M skin may be worth it, I love my E50M

Oh and last I looke,d you didn't have to buy all the camos, every one available in the bundle was available as a single purchase too. Each one came with some missions too. I bought 2 of the 2018 WG FEST styles, best looking one by far.

Edited by RamRaid90, 09 November 2019 - 02:30 PM.

xx984 #11 Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 64413 battles
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL

View PostStevies_Team, on 09 November 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

The RPz is actually ok

yes i wish my Caer AX had a much worse gun, A huge weakspot on the turret, and less gun dep

shikaka9 #12 Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 71213 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

Who is running WG's marketing department? ...

ehm

ask Mel Gibson , he knows ..

:hiding:

Long_Range_Sniper #13 Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37592 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostRamRaid90, on 09 November 2019 - 01:29 PM, said:

I have been saying for a while that I wish they would sell camos for cash. Bought a couple myself. IMO an excellent choice by WG.

I saw you'd two marked the Alpine Tiger? How's the other guy who bought it getting on?

PS

Spoiler

RamRaid90 #14 Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:43 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25976 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 09 November 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

I saw you'd two marked the Alpine Tiger? How's the other guy who bought it getting on?

PS

Spoiler

Whoever he is he's stopping me from getting the third :teethhappy:

mpf1959 #15 Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29126 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Who is running WG's marketing department?

the guy in blue ;)

Attached Files

• Attached File   blue man.jpg   73.67K

Blubba #16 Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 60575 battles

Block Quote

15 Euros to skin a sub-meta tank? If this floats your boat and you want to spend your money then great. But I'm not feeling it myself.

In my opinion these are significant prices for cosmetic items. I understand WG changed approach to tap into the Fortnite tactic of selling things that don't improve capability but just alter the look of the game for players. 

I know WG split the camo into small bundles which is good, but please, as the Xmas bundles approaches put some thought into them.

Don't just dangle the carrot of a "rare" OP tank. If I'm going to spend anything on the game I do it with the Xmas bundles as I get my years premium time, and gold and goodies (any tanks are a bonus for me).

This year, I hope they're not going to be filled with camo and skins.

This is what worries me. It's all very well players suggesting that this is a fine way of WG supporting their game etc and it would be except that's not really how WG works in my experience.

When they say your xmas loot boxes will be full of stuff that is equal to or exceeding the cash value and you get a decal, will you be so grateful?

Maybe you will I guess and good for you but I can't help feeling some will be disappointed. 

Maybe I'm just being cynical. Lets hope not.

Jumping_Turtle #17 Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:19 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 70021 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostRamRaid90, on 09 November 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

Whoever he is he's stopping me from getting the third :teethhappy:

I can suck as few battles in mine if that helps ;)

NUKLEAR_SLUG #18 Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34294 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostBlubba, on 09 November 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

When they say your xmas loot boxes will be full of stuff that is equal to or exceeding the cash value and you get a decal, will you be so grateful?

Maybe you will I guess and good for you but I can't help feeling some will be disappointed. 

If you buy a lootbox knowing full well that would be one of the options available then yes, you don't get to be mad about it when you knowingly participated. I keep buying lottery tickets, I don't get to be mad at Camelot because I only win lucky dips. 

Balc0ra #19 Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 73415 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Because people still buy it. As you see most of those camo's in camo packs appear more often after they are sold. And sure some are given away rather often. But others in that bundle have never been rewarded via missions. And thus why they sell.

Because if no one bought them, they would not make those bundles I suspect.

As for the tank? Price is not bad, and what is not appealing to you, is always appealing to others. Be they few or many. Not seen many of this one tbh.

WindSplitter1 #20 Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:59 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19160 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 09 November 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

I have absolutely no problem with WG funding their game with cosmetics no matter how much they choose to charge for them as its entirely up to the individual if that interests them or not and doesn't affect anyone else in any way. 

Each to its own.

That would make a lot of sense back then.

Personally, these are almost useless for me apart from the meagre camo bonus they provide (if they even do). WOWS has such a system but IMO, cosmetics are a turn off for me, as LRS said, they are pretty much offered for free.

Not that I condone P2W of any sort, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users