Continue to tier 9 or start a new line as a fairly new player?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

SpookyBeaver #1 Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1812 battles
  • [KBAD] KBAD
So I have around 1k battles under my belt, although 600 of those were 6 years ago. I just unlocked everything on my first tier 8 (Pershing) and I'm loving it, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to go to tier 9 and eventually tier 10 as such a new player. I do have a recent wn8 of 1287 so I'm doing fine at tier 8. If I were to start a new line I'd like to play something fast since heavies seem fairly boring. So what do you guys recommended?

barison1 #2 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:13 PM

Major

• Player
  • 45112 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

russian mediums towards 430u or 140 is a pretty solid choice, mobile mediums with some armor to go with and pretty 'beginner' friendly i would say

italian mediums start off with decent armor and so so mobility but get pretty mobile lateron at cost of some armor, pretty solid guns with nice alpha and gun dep,  altough the autoreeeloaders at t8+ might need some learning how to use them to their full potential. mostly the lower tiers are fairly 'beginner' friendly aswell

Edited by barison1, 09 November 2019 - 04:14 PM.

SpookyBeaver #3 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:23 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1812 battles
  • [KBAD] KBAD

View Postbarison1, on 09 November 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

russian mediums towards 430u or 140 is a pretty solid choice, mobile mediums with some armor to go with and pretty 'beginner' friendly i would say

italian mediums start off with decent armor and so so mobility but get pretty mobile lateron at cost of some armor, pretty solid guns with nice alpha and gun dep,  altough the autoreeeloaders at t8+ might need some learning how to use them to their full potential. mostly the lower tiers are fairly 'beginner' friendly aswell

Yea I've looked a bit into the Italian line as well and they seem really good. Although I find the t-43 and t-44 fairly weak when playing against them, it does help a bit that the Pantera is somewhat decent for front lines so I'll definitely look into those

NUKLEAR_SLUG #4 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35288 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
French lights is good. All the tanks off the 12T branch have something to offer. 

XxKuzkina_MatxX #5 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:32 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

The tier 9 Patton itself is a good tank and better tier for tier than the Pershing. Higher tiers however are a hostile environment to learn the game (~10k battles). So why not both?

Get the Patton as your first tier 9 and being a good tank it'll help you learn faster and keep a few tier 6s and 7s to return back to when things are not good in higher tiers. This way you'll know what are the differences between med and high tiers game play. What will work in tier 6 that won't work in tier 9 or 10. What positions on the map can be exploited in med tiers but forbidden in higher tiers. This contrast in very useful to see why and when things are happening in a battle.

Not every line in the game gets better as you go up the tiers. With some lines the higher you go the worse the tank tier for tier.

SpookyBeaver #6 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1812 battles
  • [KBAD] KBAD

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 09 November 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

French lights is good. All the tanks off the 12T branch have something to offer. 

What about the wheeled light tanks?

15:37 Added after 3 minute

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 09 November 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

The tier 9 Patton itself is a good tank and better tier for tier than the Pershing. Higher tiers however are a hostile environment to learn the game (~10k battles). So why not both?

Get the Patton as your first tier 9 and being a good tank it'll help you learn faster and keep a few tier 6s and 7s to return back to when things are not good in higher tiers. This way you'll know what are the differences between med and high tiers game play. What will work in tier 6 that won't work in tier 9 or 10. What positions on the map can be exploited in med tiers but forbidden in higher tiers. This contrast in very useful to see why and when things are happening in a battle.

Not every line in the game gets better as you go up the tiers. With some lines the higher you go the worse the tank tier for tier.

Would it be a good idea to start on a new line and just keep the pershing, so when we play tier 8 platoons with my clan I can just use that and eventually get the Patton?

NUKLEAR_SLUG #7 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:40 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35288 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostSpookyBeaver, on 09 November 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

15:37 Added after 3 minute

Would it be a good idea to start on a new line and just keep the pershing, so when we play tier 8 platoons with my clan I can just use that and eventually get the Patton?

Also good and another reason to try French lights. Really tho there's no reason not to try a bit everything, yes, including arty. It gives you a better understanding of everything and how it works together then. 

XxKuzkina_MatxX #8 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

View PostSpookyBeaver, on 09 November 2019 - 07:34 PM, said:

Yes that's a good idea too but the Pershing isn't particularly a good tier 8 medium. In fact there are very few tier 8 mediums than can be considered good. Most of them are premiums. :)

Not a good tier to play a standard tech tree medium i mean.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74936 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Depends. Do you feel confident on going up to tier 9 and X this early? And do you struggle vs tier X targets etc as is? As in do you know where to aim on most of them etc? If you do, then go on. As the tank you pick might be forgiving, but the tier is not tbh. If not, then going down a few tiers on a new line to get into things is not a bad idea either.

View PostSpookyBeaver, on 09 November 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

Yea I've looked a bit into the Italian line as well and they seem really good. Although I find the t-43 and t-44 fairly weak when playing against them, it does help a bit that the Pantera is somewhat decent for front lines so I'll definitely look into those

Italians have forgiving turret armor on mid-tiers, but will punish mistakes on higher tiers as they are made of paper there. There the gun more then makes up for it if you play right. Russian mid-tiers can go both ways depending on whom you ask. But their high tiers are definitely more forgiving.

Personally I would suggest just to explore the different lines. Find a style that works for you, a nation that fits your style and stick to it for a bit. Be that the US meds, clip Italians, armored Russians or the agile French.

Bordhaw #10 Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:52 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 15581 battles

View PostSpookyBeaver, on 09 November 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

Wheeled vehicles are toxic to the game and should not be encouraged. 

AXIS_OF_RESISTANCE #11 Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4927 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT
Standard b fun strong tank avoid 430,430u you get nothing but frustration from my experience .

Edited by AXIS_OF_RESISTANCE, 09 November 2019 - 06:08 PM.

Stevies_Team #12 Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15765 battles

430U has a very wonky gun

140 has a lovely gun and fab DPM

ThorgrimBrenadim #13 Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35557 battles

No disrespect in this but looking at your win rate personal rating etc it really is not a good idea to go to tier 9 and 10 yet.

T-44 is a solid enough tank and leads onto some epic mediums, 430 is fine strong but dispersion is crazy. T54 is pants so far for me as only so far unlocked the second gun.

British mediums are fine especially Crommy and Comet but it does have it's ups and downs.

What about TD's as well ? some solid TD lines to follow and gives different play style.

Panterra is not great till upgraded but it does lead onto the epic std B.

Just enjoy mid tiers also can be a drag dropping down to lower tiers after playing high tiers for a while so having some tech tree lines at tier 5 and 6 before moving towards a tier 9 will give some variety.

Wintermute_1 #14 Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:02 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 52464 battles
If youre playing without a premium account, your main concern should be how many credits you can afford to lose.

Rainbowkiss83 #15 Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:42 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25063 battles
  • [_HATE] _HATE
I personally got jap tier9 med as first high tier med
Then i sold it and got the is7
I would stay a bit more to lower tiers and aim for tier8 not cuz you should not aim for a tier10 (despite what everyone always says having a tier10 allows you to psychologiclly end the urge to rush and "finish the game...cuz i'm loosing something for sure without having it!) but cuz the line you picked doesn't seems "friendly" and you could end in wasting credits for something that doesn't suits you
Try out at least one line to tier8 for all the tanks type and play tier 8 (you can go to frontlines!) then pick your choice
And don't forget to pick the derp lines before they nerf them!
Kv-2, o-i experimental to o-ni, sherman and pzIV derps overall
Plus the SU 85 line, american and french LT lines, chinese mediums (dunno why i performed better in chine t34/34-85 compared to the russian ones)
There are tons of them litterally and they play in different styles so you'll understand what you really like and what you really should avoid.

SpookyBeaver #16 Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1812 battles
  • [KBAD] KBAD

View PostThorgrimBrenadim, on 09 November 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

No disrespect in this but looking at your win rate personal rating etc it really is not a good idea to go to tier 9 and 10 yet.

T-44 is a solid enough tank and leads onto some epic mediums, 430 is fine strong but dispersion is crazy. T54 is pants so far for me as only so far unlocked the second gun.

British mediums are fine especially Crommy and Comet but it does have it's ups and downs.

What about TD's as well ? some solid TD lines to follow and gives different play style.

Panterra is not great till upgraded but it does lead onto the epic std B.

Just enjoy mid tiers also can be a drag dropping down to lower tiers after playing high tiers for a while so having some tech tree lines at tier 5 and 6 before moving towards a tier 9 will give some variety.

I explained why my stats were awful it's better to look at my recent wn8 and my ratings on the t20 and Pershing since those are the only ones I've played since I started again. Although I'd love to know a bit more about fun TD lines

20:36 Added after 3 minute

View PostRainbowkiss83, on 09 November 2019 - 07:42 PM, said:

I personally got jap tier9 med as first high tier med
Then i sold it and got the is7
I would stay a bit more to lower tiers and aim for tier8 not cuz you should not aim for a tier10 (despite what everyone always says having a tier10 allows you to psychologiclly end the urge to rush and "finish the game...cuz i'm loosing something for sure without having it!) but cuz the line you picked doesn't seems "friendly" and you could end in wasting credits for something that doesn't suits you
Try out at least one line to tier8 for all the tanks type and play tier 8 (you can go to frontlines!) then pick your choice
And don't forget to pick the derp lines before they nerf them!
Kv-2, o-i experimental to o-ni, sherman and pzIV derps overall
Plus the SU 85 line, american and french LT lines, chinese mediums (dunno why i performed better in chine t34/34-85 compared to the russian ones)
There are tons of them litterally and they play in different styles so you'll understand what you really like and what you really should avoid.

I agree with one of each line although maybe not the heavies since I personally really dislike their playstyle. For the lights I'd either choose the normal french lights or the wheelie boys and for the TDs I don't really know, the British tortoise Line seems great but how is the rest of that line?

NUKLEAR_SLUG #17 Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:42 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35288 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Charioteer tier 8 brit TD is nice. It's a medium/TD hybrid so you get good mobility and a punchy gun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users