Why not have chat default to the installation language?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

UserZer00 #1 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

Yes, yes....I know...no one uses general chat anyway because:

- It's toxic with complaints about the game, MM, WV, arty, etc.

- Full of people speaking languages other than English

- etc.

Still, they WG thinks it's important enough to the game to employ chat Moderators that are tasked with attempting to enforce the EULA.  While I'm sure this has more to do with them trying to respect limits imposed by gaming authorities than actual "helpfulness", they still have to invest.

So, why don't they do some of the following in order to try and make the chat more friendly and useful for the players?

- Have general chats for each installation language, but with the option to switch between languages, or even have multiple windows open

- Warning for 1st swear, insult, etc and 3 day ban if it continues.  (I don't see why this can't be automated since they already have filters).  They could consider longer bans for repeat offenders and even account removal in extreme cases, but that's up to them.

- Add a "complaint" system similar to in game play (inactive, unsportsmanlike, etc) to allow people to complain if they feel insulted in chat

Then, once they feel everything is working smoothly, etc.  A similar approach could be implemented in the in game chat, with the eventual possibility of re-introducing the cross team chat.  

Or course, if the cross team chat was re-introduced they'd have to try to have things in place to avoid having players give out game-play information.  Maybe only activate it before battle and for the people who have been killed out of the game, but no cross team communication for the players who are active in battle?

Why bother?  Why not?   This is all coming from someone who avoids clans, avoids platoons, etc. but who does enjoy the general chat while waiting for my tank to return to the garage (yes, I often get killed out of the battle far too early) and did enjoy the cross team chat when it was a part of the game.

OK.  Wall of text done.

Balc0ra #2 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 73320 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
No idea. It would make sense, or even have a language selector in the chat window vs banning everyone or telling them to go to user-made channels for French etc. As that's more or less how every online game I play works.

BlueSnail #3 Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22065 battles
  • [KBAD] KBAD

Yup, have a chat channel where the default setting is "polite".  That would help.

8126Jakobsson #4 Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:02 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 79617 battles
They don't care about the chat. They keep it to the absolute minimal since it's just there to tick that requirement box off. 

UserZer00 #5 Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

View PostBlueSnail, on 09 November 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

Yup, have a chat channel where the default setting is "polite".  That would help.

Or at least "talk like your parents are in the room" tyle chat

View Post8126Jakobsson, on 09 November 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

They don't care about the chat. They keep it to the absolute minimal since it's just there to tick that requirement box off. 

I know.  That's what makes it sad

Bordhaw #6 Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:26 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 15042 battles

View PostUserZer00, on 09 November 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

- Have general chats for each installation language, but with the option to switch between languages, or even have multiple windows open

- Warning for 1st swear, insult, etc and 3 day ban if it continues.  (I don't see why this can't be automated since they already have filters).  They could consider longer bans for repeat offenders and even account removal in extreme cases, but that's up to them.

- Add a "complaint" system similar to in game play (inactive, unsportsmanlike, etc) to allow people to complain if they feel insulted in chat

The game already has these.

UserZer00 #7 Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12772 battles

View PostBordhaw, on 09 November 2019 - 06:26 PM, said:

The game already has these.

I don't think so:

- The "general" chat opens a window where it's English only, not a general chat in your default language.  You have to search and see if there is a chat open in your language (usually not)

- The warnings and bans are implemented by moderators, not the game itself.  There is no automatic system, just filters

-  I haven't seen an "in chat" complaint system.  Sure, you can open a ticket, and you can complain while in battle, but I'm talking in the garage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users