Light Tanks don't have a place in the game anymore (be it wheeled, be it tracked).

tired of this

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

WindSplitter1 #1 Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:53 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19881 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

Bought the VK 16 and kitted it out. The crew is poor on skills but it works well with the AC.

Three things I prize greatly in LTs are their mobility, view range and rate of fire. They can have low penetration, no armour and only double the HP of the sturdiest clicker in that Tier. If they have those three stats, I can make it work.

As I pressed "↑" for the first time, I noticed the vehicle responded very weakly. Very slowly.

It reminded me of how much changed the ELC bis has gotten, sadly not for the better. Destroyers in WOWS accelerate better. I kid you not.

There are already numerous posts about how they, LTs have lost their uniqueness (M24, SP I C, 59-16, VK 28, M41), so let's skip that forward to the German LT line which I am currently grinding for.

It's quite sad that such a mediocre line gives you a bland experience all the way to the top to get a vehicle already obsolete and replaced by competent choices, outside its own class. If you look at the British, they would narrowly take the first prize if being worse was a contest.

My personal list of disappointments with the class are as follows (in no particular order and not necessarily objective. Your opinions might differ):

>9.17/9.18 - Global LT nerfs

>M24/ELC bis/59-16/VK28/M41/SP I C/MT-25 ruined

>Tier V LTs have worsened stats (M24 Chaffee [LT] has the same top speed, HP and view range as the T67 [TD], previously both had the same RoF, now the T67 has it better despite being of different Classes)

>T92 expected for a long time - Inadequate top speed. Rate of fire for a Tier VIII is close to acceptable but still too long (76mm guns should reload at/under 3s with crew skills + equipment in LTs/MTs)

>T-50-2 reload is ~3s for a 57mm at Tier VI. Churchill III, at Tier V reloads under 2s (assuming crew skills and equipment), as a Heavy Tank

>AMX 12/13 series' autoloaders magazine size reduced. 13/90 was the only which had noticeable gains with this decision. Nevertheless, 6>4.

>Sheridan expected for a long time - No particularly good, though managed to stay a cut below of what it could've been

>Tier X LTs' performance below expected. Artificially decreased penetration over distance - with an already poor accuracy, Rate of Fire and in some cases, aiming time. Mobility is good across the board. VR is not.

>UK LTs expected for a long time proved to be an utter disappointment not just for me but for everyone expecting the Warrior/Scimitar and the like. This includes not just the Brits but also the Russians even.

>Lack of View Range making digging out the now numerous TDs a suicidal venture, without any guarantee of success

>Tier VI and VII French WVs are not faster than their tracked counterparts but still have their view range reduced (AMD at Tier VI sees less than the ELC bis at Tier V does).

>Rate of Fire for all WVs is disastrous. The EBR 90 (FL-11 turret,) is the only (for a 90mm at high Tier) which has an appropriate reload (with crew skills and equipment; values close to 6s are good).

>HE shell rebalance might make one of their few redeeming features unusable.

Don't want to overextend so let's leave it at that.

People complain a lot about how Heavy Tanks have their armour disrespected with premium shells but WG has made a lot of moves - and it currently is doing another one - in their favour to address it, often at the expense of the game's health, where the only positive hallmark was how SPGs were changed, and even that is a work in progress now on hold because of the shell balancing (they have stated on the «stun/damage at the edge of the splash» video there was more in the works).

This, after, turning most maps into a set of 3 corridors, for which an engagement must be made from the front, where they have the advantage. Easy class, got easier.

*sigh*

The days where you could make a difference without firing a single shot are long gone - I used to like that - but it's OK. Adapt or die, right? Same with the clickers, but in that case, it was more than justified.

Unfortunately, now the only way to have fun on LTs is getting one that was good in their MM. Which often means a premium tank (AMX 13 57/ M41 90mm/Type 64/Type 62).

Hardest class to play with gets harder and harder and eclipsed by medium tanks, which they have to pretend to be, despite having less armour and durability...

Ricky_Rolls #2 Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 76800 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
Yea lights are garbage, that's why there are between 2 and 4 them each game.

rageman4u #3 Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19563 battles

Thanks to Wargaming. there is no bush to hide! you are just one rabbit fooling around with light tank. Gun sux, armour non existent and no worries. Everyone uses aimbot!

You can play russian lights. May be they are better. Since anything russian works fine in wargaming!

Don'T give money to this garbage game! they like to steal your money.

shikaka9 #4 Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 73741 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
Spike still good tank for me, other yes background actors

Rainbowkiss83 #5 Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:36 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25063 battles
  • [_HATE] _HATE

Recently got the T71 USA
It's a blast
I love the little bastard
And the previous ones are not bad at all aswell.
Cant' say for the bulldog i hope it will be even better or i'll stay tiwh the T71

I'm not so satisfied with tier8 amx btw...but i don't like autoloader on lights that's why i'll abandon him for the bc line as soon as i'm done unlockingthe 3 lines

Edited by Rainbowkiss83, 10 November 2019 - 05:38 PM.

Lanrefni #6 Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:41 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 36008 battles
  • [STAYA] STAYA

no, you just suck.

and your post quality is evermore dropping.

MightyBalls_2 #7 Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:44 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9360 battles
  • [MITY] MITY

The issue is that light tanks do have a role in this game, but unfortunately so many retarded window lickers play the class.

That makes it so that it is pointless having them.

I spot for the first half of the battle unless I have a team that is full of BOTs and do not shoot my spots, then I do my own damage late game.

I get roughly a 60-70% win rate playing lights with an average of 4 spots and 1-2k assistance every game, with a lot of 4k+ spotting games.

Edited by MightyBalls_2, 10 November 2019 - 05:45 PM.

divsmo #8 Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38353 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF
I still enjoy the class as it's what i play 80% of the time these days. Particularly enjoying the wz131 at the moment but it's a hard class to play well, especially if you play to aggressively which is my downfall a lot of the time. It's important to conserve your HP for the end game when you can pick off low HP enemies.

WindSplitter1 #9 Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:21 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19881 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View PostRicky_Rolls, on 10 November 2019 - 04:00 PM, said:

Yea lights are garbage, that's why there are between 2 and 4 them each game.

As there are 3+ Tank Destroyers, per side each game. And they are definitely not hard to play effectively with. As one shot is devastating enough for even low skill-ceiling players.

View PostRainbowkiss83, on 10 November 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

Recently got the T71 USA
It's a blast
I love the little bastard
And the previous ones are not bad at all aswell.
Cant' say for the bulldog i hope it will be even better or i'll stay tiwh the T71

I'm not so satisfied with tier8 amx btw...but i don't like autoloader on lights that's why i'll abandon him for the bc line as soon as i'm done unlockingthe 3 lines

T71 wasn't changed much, if at all. Never played it, though it's unlocked. Tier VIII AMX?

View PostlnfernaI, on 10 November 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

no, you just suck.

and your post quality is evermore dropping.

I never stated in my post I was good with them either. Perhaps you should address your ill will first before commenting about my post quality as well, which is still a far cry above the average in this BB, including yours.

View PostMightyBalls_2, on 10 November 2019 - 04:44 PM, said:

The issue is that light tanks do have a role in this game, but unfortunately so many retarded window lickers play the class.

That makes it so that it is pointless having them.

I spot for the first half of the battle unless I have a team that is full of BOTs and do not shoot my spots, then I do my own damage late game.

I get roughly a 60-70% win rate playing lights with an average of 4 spots and 1-2k assistance every game, with a lot of 4k+ spotting games.

That's nice.

View Postdivsmo, on 10 November 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

I still enjoy the class as it's what i play 80% of the time these days. Particularly enjoying the wz131 at the moment but it's a hard class to play well, especially if you play to aggressively which is my downfall a lot of the time. It's important to conserve your HP for the end game when you can pick off low HP enemies.

I understand. Easier said than done but nonetheless I agree.

Still, with what I've stated was that LTs before were easier to play with than what they are now. In contrast to other classes, specially HTs which have been made easier patch by patch. But I suspect that's how players want it to be.

Gremlin182 #10 Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:21 PM

General

• Player
  • 60296 battles

There has to be some variation in light tanks just as in other types otherwise whats the point.

Speed Armour Firepower add to those View Range Stealth

Generally Lights will be the most stealthy and have good view ranges and will be mobile.

Think we still have that in the class

They did make a big mistake with the AMX ELC bis it should have been moved up a tier but they decided to nerf it instead.

Then when we complained they relented a little gave it a 360 turret and a different gun.

Obviously we didn't complain enough though I still hope they give it its historical engine back or as the original ELC as a second tier 6 French Light.

Still like my lights

UserZer00 #11 Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13608 battles

I agree with your point of view, but despite it all, I still like the lights.

Go figure

XxKuzkina_MatxX #12 Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:45 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

Judging by the number of lights in each battle, maybe people like the class despite being statistically inferior. Someone has to fulfill that role. And if the average number of TDs per battle is also high, what does that say about the game play of both classes? Knowing that apart from a few extreme cases neither class win too much.

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 10 November 2019 - 07:27 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #13 Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35287 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostWindSplitter1, on 10 November 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

>AMX 12/13 series' autoloaders magazine size reduced. 13/90 was the only which had noticeable gains with this decision. Nevertheless, 6>4.

No, this was a buff for them. It was rare to be able to use the whole clip because nobody was dumb enough to let a light tank sit in the open long enough to dump 6 rounds in. With a 4-clip you still have good clip potential but the huge reload buff you get keeps you far more involved with in the game.

Solstad1069 #14 Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:55 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45956 battles
German light tank line is overall mediocre. I jumped from HWK12 over to Leopard PTA.
Tier for tier T71 is the best tech tree light tank in the game.

pihip #15 Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16280 battles
At mid tiers (6 and 7) LTs can be big game changers and IMHO it's the sweet spot for the class.

Higher than that and you might as well bring a MT (already plenty of LTs that look like undergunned meds like HWK 30, M41 90, LT 432) because the only real advantage the LT will have over the MT is the concealment and, for what's worth, the speed.

I just finished grinding the Setter by the way (was a good grind, 65% winrate after the last match), but now with LHMTV it's become far less forgiving, though at least the alpha/pen increase is nice.

And yes some of the older LTs did not deserve nerfs, except the 10-round M41 which was, frankly, ridiculous.

Solstad1069 #16 Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45956 battles

View Postpihip, on 10 November 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

, except the 10-round M41 which was, frankly, ridiculous.

...why i sold it :P

Tinbawx #17 Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14747 battles
  • [SNOB] SNOB

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 10 November 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

Judging by the number of lights in each battle, maybe people like the class despite being statistically inferior. Someone have to fulfill that role. And if the average number of TDs per battle is also high, what does that say about the game play of both classes? Knowing that apart from a few extreme cases neither class win too much.

I might be totally wrong but I think it´s a psychological thing. Dunno why, but playing lights I never really felt the same pressure to perform as I did in meds or heavies. 

Don´t get me wrong, you can influence a battle significantly if you do well in your light, but imo you´re rarely expected to.

I believe the more carefree attitude a lot of players have towards LTs contributes quite a bit to their popularity.

Ricky_Rolls #18 Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 76800 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
The problem with lights and arties is that they ruin the overall HP pool of both teams, while not providing anything but frustration.

Cobra6 #19 Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Only the T10 lights are badly balanced with their atrocious gun stats and artificial penetration drop off.

Sweet spot for lights is Tier 6 and Tier 7 especially, always has been.

Cobra 6

Lanrefni #20 Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 36008 battles
  • [STAYA] STAYA

View PostCobra6, on 10 November 2019 - 09:28 PM, said:

Only the T10 lights are badly balanced with their atrocious gun stats and artificial penetration drop off.

which means, all my best games on TX LTs must have been down to pure luck.

Also tagged with tired, of, this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users