Help for an old tanker to learn new tricks?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Thunder_Pig #1 Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:11 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19899 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

Hi guys, I've been playing WoT for about 8-9 years now. I've been playing continuously since the earliest days and I've gotten some real bad habits that just wreck my experience. I think the meta has totally overtaken me and I don't know how to apply myself to the maps anymore, or how to best use my tanks. I actually love this game, as awful as it is, and my poor performance is making me into a toxic idiot.

I think the gist is that I'm stuck in the 'heavies go here, meds go here' map meta, whereas the modern meta seems be 'people have no coordination, just position yourself best' which I can't do.
Can anyone help me out? Any guides I could follow or players on Twitch etc?

Anyone else have to basically re-learn the game, maybe after leaving for a while?

Thank you for any help you give this old hog.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #2 Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:31 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

Now how the hell can i answer that!!! :confused:

Start with reading wotguru guides. They show the same positions which you supposedly know and use. Most of these are usable except for the extremes. Like very slow tanks, tanks without any armor or tanks that need to be hull down. What you need to consider is that these are starting positions but at some point the battle starts to be more fluid and there is no manual for that!

What you can do however is make a set in your mind of the possible combinations and permutations for a certain map/spawn. The downside is it's a long process because you need to watch (or platoon with) good players playing a lot of battles. You analyze what they did, when they did it and why on each map/spawn by watching their mini map not the actual shooting on the screen. This way you have a set of basic instructions that you can utilize in different situations. And you already have about 20k battles/good tanks/good crews head start. Use a pencil and a piece of paper if you have to, i used to do that.

You can watch Delta stream. He's lazy but a very good player and a kind person. Ask him when he streams why he did that move and how to play a certain map or a tank. He's also an active forum member so you can annoy him here too. :teethhappy:

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 12 November 2019 - 01:34 AM.

kaneloon #3 Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:31 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31161 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0
Delta : it's impressive how agressive he is but succeed to survive.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:37 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

View Postkaneloon, on 12 November 2019 - 05:31 AM, said:

Never got the impression that he is too aggressive and i've seen aggressive. You see what i did there? :)

You look close enough and almost every move is: calculated, timed/delayed and executed with great care. Timed to achieve good efficiency and delayed to make sure. Elegant is a better word i think. The most lovely part about this is reconstructing the decisions. It's like watching a human brain working through a plexiglass box.

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 12 November 2019 - 02:48 AM.

kaneloon #5 Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:47 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31161 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0
I didn't say too agressive, but he accepts to lose HP - and if I were that much daring I'll be dead. I have the feeling as you said that he knows exactly when to calm down a bit.

betZii #6 Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:17 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10783 battles
  • [DEPAC] DEPAC

As a returning player myself, I've learned that if you get the chance and happen to have the support of your team, playing aggressive gets you the most. I notice a ton of people

just camping in the back, waiting for Christmas, being afraid to push that one tank with 4 people. In other words, everyone is super passive and doesn't know what to do if pushed.

But this only works with support. Too often I had it happen to me that those pushing with me decided to stop and be passive all the sudden, leaving me do in front. Once I'm dead,

the next guy will slowly advance to get rekt, then the next, and so on.

In other words, there's no guide for what currently is going on in the games. Watch where your team is going and either go with them or if they decide to leave that most important

flank wide open and give up major parts of the map, look for a good place to spot and defend :)

BR33K1_PAWAH #7 Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7704 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostThunder_Pig, on 12 November 2019 - 03:11 AM, said:

Spoiler

Take a look at this.

Walk3ala #8 Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:56 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10140 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

https://www.twitch.tv/sirfoch

splash_time #9 Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13526 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostThunder_Pig, on 12 November 2019 - 03:11 AM, said:

Hi guys, I've been playing WoT for about 8-9 years now. I've been playing continuously since the earliest days and I've gotten some real bad habits that just wreck my experience. I think the meta has totally overtaken me and I don't know how to apply myself to the maps anymore, or how to best use my tanks. I actually love this game, as awful as it is, and my poor performance is making me into a toxic idiot.

I think the gist is that I'm stuck in the 'heavies go here, meds go here' map meta, whereas the modern meta seems be 'people have no coordination, just position yourself best' which I can't do.

Anyone else have to basically re-learn the game, maybe after leaving for a while?

Basically, go watch streams on twitch, Skills4u, QB, Dakillzor(I recommend this guy he's the clan planner of DE-VI clan a.k.a second clan in clan divisions).

And if you like to learn in different way, you can check here and watch different players gameplay.  :)

Gl mate!

Negativvv #10 Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:06 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 14103 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

As above, watching good players helps. LemmingRush is a very good YouTuber, he goes out of his way to explain stuff.

However the best way to learn is self lead, everytime I die or have a low damage game I'll take a few mins and think about what I could have done differently. Usually there will be something, I'll never blame the team unlike a lot of players out there as even in a face roll you can usually make the enemy suffer or even prevent it in some cases.

kaneloon #11 Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:08 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31161 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

"Problem" with big streamers is that they play by feeling and you won't know why they went that side, why they made that push (well ok ... QB focus with XVM the best enemy), and your questions will be lost in the chat.

Nebuched #12 Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:12 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14381 battles
A big thing is to accept that sometimes your team just gets steamrolled and you have to farm as much xp as you can before they gang you. Also good is to watch how many tanks are afk after 20 seconds and then you know if you have to take a defensive position somewhere and wish for the best.

krismorgan #13 Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:55 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36944 battles
  • [UKT] UKT
A good question op,i feel the same and its frustrating.I watch streamers and try to take it in but it must get lost in translation to my brain lol.Best of luck buddy.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #14 Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34515 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostThunder_Pig, on 12 November 2019 - 01:11 AM, said:

If you think that's the case next time you're in a heavy break the mould and go join the meds and use your armour to help them force their way through.

It'll probably annoy someone who thinks you should be somewhere else, but so long as you're doing something constructive towards helping your team win you shouldn't feel constrained to play a certain way no matter what class tank you're in.

Thunder_Pig #15 Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19899 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
Thanks for the advice and links! I will check it out :D

RSA_TriHard_7 #16 Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 48396 battles
  • [WKEY] WKEY
Decha is also a good player streaming on Twitch he doesn't talk only play music but his game play speaks for itself.I started watching Quickybaby at first he explains game mechanics and stuff really nice but once i got better i started watching others like Dakillzor, Orzanel and Skill4ltu.Theres alot of good streamers on Twitch you can learn alot from.Another thing i also do is watch replay channels on Youtube they post good battles i learned alot from it map positions etc.Good luck on the battlefield:)

Gixxer66 #17 Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18828 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

I'd highly recommend following Yzn3 on twitch - great player, small enough following to get answers from him in chat. Streams Mon - Friday tanks, other games at the weekend.

Watching his positioning / playstayle has helped me no end get back into WoT after 12 months out. ATM he's 3 marking tanks so playing all sorts of non-meta tanks, currently Tiger I and Souma Tier 8.

xx984 #18 Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 65066 battles
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 12 November 2019 - 12:31 AM, said:

You can watch Delta stream. He's lazy but a very good player and a kind person. Ask him when he streams why he did that move and how to play a certain map or a tank. He's also an active forum member so you can annoy him here too. :teethhappy:

What do you mean im lazy?! How dare you :izmena:

On serious note, thanks for the kind words! :) I should be streaming tonight! 

View Postkaneloon, on 12 November 2019 - 01:31 AM, said:

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 12 November 2019 - 01:37 AM, said:

Never got the impression that he is too aggressive and i've seen aggressive. You see what i did there? :)

You look close enough and almost every move is: calculated, timed/delayed and executed with great care. Timed to achieve good efficiency and delayed to make sure. Elegant is a better word i think. The most lovely part about this is reconstructing the decisions. It's like watching a human brain working through a plexiglass box.

View Postkaneloon, on 12 November 2019 - 01:47 AM, said:

I didn't say too agressive, but he accepts to lose HP - and if I were that much daring I'll be dead. I have the feeling as you said that he knows exactly when to calm down a bit.

Being aggressive is always how i have been in this game. All about timing, Knowing the capabilities of each tank, Knowing when to take a hit and when to preserve HP. Hard to put all of it into words, but after 64k Games its almost 'instinct' for a lack of a better word. 

And i also have my days where i don't do very well also :ohmy: Few people have suggested i do video guides etc on a few things which im planning on doing after my next project is done, Would be a lot easier to explain some stuff on there i feel. 

View PostThunder_Pig, on 12 November 2019 - 12:11 AM, said:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/518459-slowly-getting-there/

This is a pretty old thread, Made it over 4 years ago now back when i was looking to start improving more. Replies in there helped me a lot.

What i will say myself is, Enable replays. Watch your own replays back, Try to see what you did wrong and what you can do next time instead if you find yourself in a similar situation. And if you can't see yourself, Put the replays on here. A lot of the people on this forum will happily watch them and give feedback. Myself included. 

Knowing the capabilities of each tank in the game, When to push, when to hold, When to fall back, and so on. Is super important. And while there is more to it than just that, If you want to start getting better i would start with those. Which is where the replays and so on come into it. Its never a fast process to 'git gud' But you're already on the right track by starting a thread and asking for help. As long as you listen to the feedback you'll be fine.

Send me a message in game, And we can platoon sometime as well. Might help abit. Albeit i'm not always free (Lazy as some put it above :angry:) But can always make plans for when i will be. 

Thunder_Pig #19 Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19899 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

View Postxx984, on 12 November 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/518459-slowly-getting-there/

This is a pretty old thread, Made it over 4 years ago now back when i was looking to start improving more. Replies in there helped me a lot.

What i will say myself is, Enable replays. Watch your own replays back, Try to see what you did wrong and what you can do next time instead if you find yourself in a similar situation. And if you can't see yourself, Put the replays on here. A lot of the people on this forum will happily watch them and give feedback. Myself included. 

Knowing the capabilities of each tank in the game, When to push, when to hold, When to fall back, and so on. Is super important. And while there is more to it than just that, If you want to start getting better i would start with those. Which is where the replays and so on come into it. Its never a fast process to 'git gud' But you're already on the right track by starting a thread and asking for help. As long as you listen to the feedback you'll be fine.

Send me a message in game, And we can platoon sometime as well. Might help abit. Albeit i'm not always free (Lazy as some put it above :angry:) But can always make plans for when i will be. 

Thank you! You are so kind! I will send you a message when I'm next on :D

XxKuzkina_MatxX #20 Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:32 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

View Postxx984, on 12 November 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

What do you mean im lazy?! How dare you :izmena:

On serious note, thanks for the kind words! :) I should be streaming tonight!

Pz. IIs at dawn then. : izmena_jap:

I will be lurking as usual Mr. Delta. See you tonight. : girl_heart:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users